[comp.misc] lotus chairman makes 26 million

shino@motbos.UUCP (Rei Shinozuka MCD SE) (04/26/88)

(warning:  this article is a soapboxer)

I just read in this week's Business Week (May 2, 1988) that Jim Manzi
of Lotus made $26,297,000 in salary, bonuses and stock options
last year.  Alexander V. d'Arbeloff, chairman of Lotus' compensation
committee explains: "Around him, Jim saw people obviously not of his
competence making millions of dollars... we wanted to make sure he
stayed with the company, because he was holding it together."

Next, I read in MacWeek that the SPA (Software Publishers Association)
is now collecting legal fees to prosecute users who illegally copy
software.  I've also seen many ads put out by the SPA bemoaning the
loss to the industry, claiming that piracy is pushing up prices of
software, etc.

I can't accept the juxtoposition of these two news items.  I think
instead of having a "computer programmer" in an SPA ad self-righteously
proclaiming: "I'm a programmer, and you're ripping ME
off every time you copy software," I'd like to see: "I'm the chair-
man of ABC Software and piracy has reduced my salary from 10 million
to 7 million dollars per year."  I'm a programmer, too, and that
"programmer spokesman" in the ad sure doesn't speak for me!

Granted, copying software is illegal.  But I just can't see that it
is IMMORAL, as the SPA is trying to brainwash me into believing.
From d'Arbeloff's quote, it seems that there are scads of guys running
around at Lotus literally making millions of dollars.  They are all
making too much money!  I am a staunch capitalist, make no mistake,
but the simple fact of the matter is: THEY ARE MAKING TOO MUCH MONEY!
How much is too much?  I'd like to know what the programmers are
making, in comparison.  After all, a lot of programmers make 26K, which
is THREE ORDERS OF MAGNITUDE less than 26M!!  THAT'S TOO MUCH MONEY!!

When you compare their profits versus their earnings to companies
like GE, IBM, DEC (no flames, please) that actually MANUFACTURE
SOMETHING REAL, then you can see that THEY ARE MAKING TOO MUCH MONEY!!

The SPA is legally in the right, and they have the bucks to buy the
lawyers to prove it.  But when I think of them busting users making
copies, I can't help thinking of robber barons, feudal kings vs. serfs,
etc.  They were legally in the right, too.  But you didn't feel sorry
for them, the way you are supposed to for the SPA companies.

Don't feel sorry for the SPA.  I'm not condoning piracy, because
that's illegal.  But I can think of many situations where it's surely
not immoral.  And I find it hard to feel sorry for those who make
several orders of magnitude more than anyone I know.

I don't enough about the law to know what a solution is, but I
do know that it stinks.

-rei

disclaimer: 1) these opinions are my own and are not shared or known by
               my employers, teachers, parents, etc.
            2) i am in no way advocating illegal copying of software, which
               is by definition against the law.
            3) this article is not aimed against all software companies,
               but against what i interpret the attitude of the SPA to be.

mike@cisunx.UUCP (Mike Elliot) (04/27/88)

In article <380@motbos.UUCP> shino@motbos.UUCP (Rei Shinozuka MCD SE) writes:
>(warning:  this article is a soapboxer)

[stuff deleted]
>Granted, copying software is illegal.  But I just can't see that it
>is IMMORAL, as the SPA is trying to brainwash me into believing.
>From d'Arbeloff's quote, it seems that there are scads of guys running
>around at Lotus literally making millions of dollars.  They are all
>making too much money!  I am a staunch capitalist, make no mistake,
>but the simple fact of the matter is: THEY ARE MAKING TOO MUCH MONEY!
>How much is too much?  I'd like to know what the programmers are
>making, in comparison.  After all, a lot of programmers make 26K, which
>is THREE ORDERS OF MAGNITUDE less than 26M!!  THAT'S TOO MUCH MONEY!!

Illegally copy software is not immoral if and only if stealing is not
immoral. Perhaps you are the sort of individual who does not think there
is anything wrong with stealing; I on the other hand see this and any other
stealing as being not only illegal but also immoral.  One can't justify
stealing on the grounds that the person one steals from has more than he
deserves.  Stealing is stealing, no matter from whom it was appropriated.

			Mike Elliot
			{allegra|bellcore|cadre|psuvax1}!pitt!cisunx!mike
			mike@pittvms.bitnet

It must be remembered that there is nothing more difficult to plan, more
doubtful of success, nor more dangerous to manage, than the creation of a
new system.  For the initiator has the enmity of all who would profit by
the preservation of the old institutions and merely lukewarm defenders in
those who would gain by the new ones.
			-Machiavelli

djs@actnyc.UUCP (Dave Seward) (04/28/88)

In article <380@motbos.UUCP> shino@motbos.UUCP (Rei Shinozuka MCD SE) writes:
>(warning:  this article is a soapboxer)
>
>I just read in this week's Business Week (May 2, 1988) that Jim Manzi
>of Lotus made $26,297,000 in salary, bonuses and stock options
>last year.
>[...]
>From d'Arbeloff's quote, it seems that there are scads of guys running
>around at Lotus literally making millions of dollars.  They are all
>making too much money!  I am a staunch capitalist, make no mistake,
>but the simple fact of the matter is: THEY ARE MAKING TOO MUCH MONEY!

I know this isn't a real solution for most individuals, but collectively...
The solution to this (as if one were required) is to offer the public the same
capabilities (ie equivelent software) for a low enough cost that you make
only 10 million or maybe 5 million dollars per year. The definition of TOO
MUCH MONEY for a particular activity ought to be that another individual who
could accomplish the same thing would be willing to do it for significantly
less. If so, go to it. Try to analyze what he is getting that sum for. It
is not writing code, I assure you. But, he wouldn't get it without the code
to sell. Make an investment; put your money where your mouth is; write that
great piece of software and sell it to the masses.

This is not intended to be a flame, but I don't begrudge him his income as
long as I could get the same for the same thing. As I see it, this is a
opportunity.

Dave Seward
uunet!actnyc!djs

lee@uhccux.UUCP (Greg Lee) (04/28/88)

From article <9160@cisunx.UUCP>, by mike@cisunx.UUCP (Mike  Elliot):
" ...			 I on the other hand see this and any other
" stealing as being not only illegal but also immoral.  One can't justify
" stealing on the grounds that the person one steals from has more than he
" deserves.  Stealing is stealing, no matter from whom it was appropriated.

Sure one can.  And one can't show that stealing is never justified
by stating a tautology.
	Greg Lee, lee@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu

drogers@riacs.edu (David Rogers) (04/29/88)

`Too much money' is better defined as what is healthy for the
corporation, not the individual.  Look at Japanese firms,
where the wage differential between the highest and lowest paid
workers is around 6-8, and American firms, where the differential
is 100-1000. No wonder why Japanese workers feel more like they are
`in the same pot' with their management than do American workers.

If fair compensation is whatever the market will bear, then maybe
some American executive salaries ARE more than the market can bear.
If American workers are being asked to accept Japanese-style work
rules, maybe American executives should be asked to accept
Japanese-style compensation rules!

David Rogers
drogers@riacs.edu

john@geac.UUCP (John Henshaw) (04/29/88)

In article <380@motbos.UUCP> shino@motbos.UUCP (Rei Shinozuka MCD SE) writes:
>(warning:  this article is a soapboxer)
>
>From d'Arbeloff's quote, it seems that there are scads of guys running
>around at Lotus literally making millions of dollars.  They are all
>making too much money!  I am a staunch capitalist, make no mistake,
>but the simple fact of the matter is: THEY ARE MAKING TOO MUCH MONEY!

If you really are a staunch capitalist, you'd realize that you get paid
what you're worth. Making "too much money" is therefore not possible.

Stop whining...

>-rei

-john-
--
John Henshaw,			(mnetor, yunexus, utgpu !geac!john)
Geac Computers Ltd.		If we don't pay for education now, are we

ewiles@netxcom.UUCP (Edwin Wiles) (04/29/88)

In article <1801@uhccux.UUCP> lee@uhccux.UUCP (Greg Lee) writes:
>From article <9160@cisunx.UUCP>, by mike@cisunx.UUCP (Mike  Elliot):
>" ...			 I on the other hand see this and any other
>" stealing as being not only illegal but also immoral.  One can't justify
>" stealing on the grounds that the person one steals from has more than he
>" deserves.  Stealing is stealing, no matter from whom it was appropriated.
>
>Sure one can.  And one can't show that stealing is never justified
>by stating a tautology.

I would be interested in knowing what Mike Elliot thinks of the "Robin Hood"
figure, who stole from the rich and gave to the poor.  Would he be in favor
of the Sherrif?  Or does he, as most people I know, support the theives.

I doubt that Mike has really thought this through.  But, I'm willing to ask!

As I see it, the cases are parallel, though different in that the Lotus
Chairman could not be described as classically 'bad', as the Sherrif could.
(Greedy maybe, but not inherently 'bad'.)

And in case you think I'm being frivolous, I'm not.  I would like to see
more discussion on exactly WHY copying software is 'wrong/right'.  Here are
some ideas on it:

Copying Software is Wrong Because:

1. The people who wrote it have to make a living, and if you copy their
software without paying for it, you are effectively stealing their income.
(Kind of like cuting off a peice of their paycheck before it gets to them.)

Copying Software is Right Because:

1. The people who wrote it are charging so much for it that I can't afford
it, yet I really need it.  (A rather lame argument.)

2. The people who wrote it are greedy so-and-so's who charge 200% more than
the product is actually worth, so I'm reducing that profit margin to something
more reasonable.  (Not much better.)

3. Software is not tangible property, so when I copy it (like taking a
picture of a waterfall) I do not 'take' anything; therefore I am not
stealing.  (Has possibilities, but would also apply to things like sci.
theories.  Not a good defense.)

I'd put more into the discussion, but I've got to do some work now... :-)

						Enjoy!
--
...!hadron\   "Who?... Me?... WHAT opinions?!?" | Edwin Wiles
  ...!sundc\   Schedule: (n.) An ever changing	| NetExpress Comm., Inc.

mike@cisunx.UUCP (Mike Elliot) (05/03/88)

In article <807@netxcom.UUCP> ewiles@netxcom.UUCP (Edwin Wiles) writes:
>In article <1801@uhccux.UUCP> lee@uhccux.UUCP (Greg Lee) writes:
>>From article <9160@cisunx.UUCP>, by mike@cisunx.UUCP (Mike  Elliot):
>>" ...			 I on the other hand see this and any other
>>" stealing as being not only illegal but also immoral.  One can't justify
>>" stealing on the grounds that the person one steals from has more than he
>>" deserves.  Stealing is stealing, no matter from whom it was appropriated.
>>
>>Sure one can.  And one can't show that stealing is never justified
>>by stating a tautology.
>

>I would be interested in knowing what Mike Elliot thinks of the "Robin Hood"
>figure, who stole from the rich and gave to the poor.  Would he be in favor
>of the Sherrif?  Or does he, as most people I know, support the theives.
>
>I doubt that Mike has really thought this through.  But, I'm willing to ask!

	Since you asked...Robin hood is stealing from the Sheriff who stole from
	the people, albeit through legal (and unethical) means. Since the Sheriff,
	or his boss King (Prince? I don't rightly recall) John is the ultimate
	authority, there were no legal means for him to right this wrong. There-
	fore he fought fire with fire and stole the gold back. It was still
	stealing, but it was (in my opinion) justified.

	Now when it comes to stealing software, I haven't found any rational that
	would allow me to do it. I'll state my reasons later on.

>As I see it, the cases are parallel, though different in that the Lotus
>Chairman could not be described as classically 'bad', as the Sherrif could.
>(Greedy maybe, but not inherently 'bad'.)

	How do you classify the chairman as bad in any way? He performs his
	job in such an exemplary fashion, that the company rewards him for
	it with a large salary. An enviable postion no doubt, but that doesn't
	make him bad.

>And in case you think I'm being frivolous, I'm not.  I would like to see
>more discussion on exactly WHY copying software is 'wrong/right'.  Here are
>some ideas on it:
>
>Copying Software is Wrong Because:
>
>1. The people who wrote it have to make a living, and if you copy their
>software without paying for it, you are effectively stealing their income.
>(Kind of like cuting off a peice of their paycheck before it gets to them.)

That's right. I know alot of people who feel its wrong when someone steals
a product from a store, but see nothing wrong with stealing software. I
don't understand how people who would say that shop lifting is wrong, can
steal someone else's work without paying for it.

>Copying Software is Right Because:
>
>1. The people who wrote it are charging so much for it that I can't afford
>it, yet I really need it.  (A rather lame argument.)

	I really need a car right now, but can't afford it. That doesn't give
	me the right to steal one.

>2. The people who wrote it are greedy so-and-so's who charge 200% more than
>the product is actually worth, so I'm reducing that profit margin to something
>more reasonable.  (Not much better.)

	If the product is so outlandishly priced, dont' buy it. Call your
	friends and co-workers and tell them not to buy. If vendors can't
	sell their products at such prices, they'll have to bring the price
	down or go out of business. That's what supply and demand is all
	about.

>3. Software is not tangible property, so when I copy it (like taking a
>picture of a waterfall) I do not 'take' anything; therefore I am not
>stealing.  (Has possibilities, but would also apply to things like sci.
>theories.  Not a good defense.)

	Like taking a picture of a waterfall huh? Well maybe true, but if
	I were to take a picture of a waterfall, my thumb would probably
	be in the corner; the focus wouldn't be just right; nor would the
	lighting. That's why when someone else takes a picture of the
	waterfall at just the right time of day, with the right exposure,
	and filters and such, he has copies made and sells them. If people
	like them, they pay him for it, and take it home with them. They
	don't (at least not those with whom I'm acquainted) say, "Hey,
	that's Niagara falls, you don't own the waterfall, so you don't
	own the picture, so I don't have to pay you for it."

	After all, lotus isn't the only spreadsheet around, just one of the
	better one's.

ewiles@netxcom.UUCP (Edwin Wiles) (05/03/88)

In article <9360@cisunx.UUCP> mike@unix.cis.pittsburgh.edu (Mike  Elliot)
writes:
>In article <807@netxcom.UUCP> ewiles@netxcom.UUCP (Edwin Wiles) writes:
>>As I see it, the cases are parallel, though different in that the Lotus
>>Chairman could not be described as classically 'bad', as the Sherrif could.
>>(Greedy maybe, but not inherently 'bad'.)
>
>	How do you classify the chairman as bad in any way? He performs his
>	job in such an exemplary fashion, that the company rewards him for
>	it with a large salary. An enviable postion no doubt, but that doesn't
>	make him bad.

There may be some misunderstanding here, I'm not sure.  As the above paragraph
states, I do *not* consider the Lotus Chairman as 'bad'.  Just possibly as
'greedy'.  I know I find many products too expensive, and what I do is to
not buy them.  (As you sugested.)  But the one thing I really dislike about
the current software situation, is that there's no way for me to spend several
months with a product deciding whether it's really worth the several hundred
dollars that the manufacturers are asking for.  (Re: C Compilers...)

It's not an economic justification of the price that I'm looking for.  I'm
quite sure that the manufacturers are capable of producing documents of costs
they incurred that justify the price they ask.  What I'm interested in is if
this product is worth the price *to* *me*.  Which, with something like a
compiler, I'm going to need at least a solid month of working with it before I
can come to a decision.  An expenditure of over $200 for one software product
is a major purchase for me!

The only 'legal' way that I would able to do this sort of testing, would be to
borrow such products from friends for a period of time.  Since they wouldn't
want to be left without their software for an extended period, this would
involve copying.  Understand, I'd only do this to decide which of several
packages did everything I wanted, the way that I wanted.  When I came to a
final decision, which would take some time, I WOULD purchase one of them.
The others would be destroyed.

Is this a 'justifiable' usage of 'copied' software?
Or am I asking for a lawsuit?

--

john@geac.UUCP (John Henshaw) (05/03/88)

In article <9360@cisunx.UUCP> mike@unix.cis.pittsburgh.edu (Mike Elliot) writes:
>Since you asked...Robin hood is stealing from the Sheriff who stole from
>the people, albeit through legal (and unethical) means.

Robin Hood *stole* from the Sheriff: Robin Hood broke the law which in
this case was stealing.

The Sheriff did NOT steal from the people: the Sheriff did not break the
law.

You introduce a concept I'd call "legal theft"? Is this really possible?
Perhaps you've just invented a new oxymoron!

-john-
--
John Henshaw,			(mnetor, yunexus, utgpu !geac!john)
Geac Computers Ltd.		If we don't pay for education now, are we
Markham, Ontario, Canada, eh?	going to be able to pay for ignorance later?

peter@athena.mit.edu (Peter J Desnoyers) (05/03/88)

I am more interested in the morality of paying the chairman of
Lotus the astounding sum of 26 million dollars. That's on the order of
salary (not overhead or bennies) for 500 software engineers. Does
Lotus even employ 500 engineers? They've got a building or two down by
Lechmere, and a new one by the river - I don't think they have room
for 500 engineers plus the support and sales staff. (I realize they
must have more locations, but still, Lotus isn't that big by most
measures of company size except profit.)

If Lotus fired their chairman tomorrow, they would still be in
business in a year. If they fired their engineers, they would be out
of business very soon. This seems to be one of the many cases where
corporate salaries are not explainable by assuming a free market in
equilibrium. Of course, Lotus collects monopoly rents on its products,
due to time of introduction, copyright, and other factors, which allows
them to pay their chairman a vast amount too much, instead of just a
lot more than he deserves.

However, just because this guy is making 26M doesn't mean we should
steal from Lotus. Instead, we should be trying to find out why
executives in Lotus and many other firms are allowed to steal from
consumers and employees, and find a way to prevent it.

				Peter Desnoyers
				peter@athena.mit.edu

chris@mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) (05/04/88)

In article <9160@cisunx.UUCP> mike@cisunx.UUCP (Mike  Elliot) writes:
>Illegally copy software is not immoral if and only if stealing is not
>immoral.

Is it?

I have just invented a matter duplicator.  A friend drove his new BMW
over here this weekend, and we put it in the `original' side; I
shoveled an equal mass of dirt into the hopper, and produced an exact
copy.

Was that immoral?

(Alas, the duplicate and the duplicator were both unstable, and both
just dissolved back into piles of virtual particles.)

scott@attcan.UUCP (Scott MacQuarrie) (05/04/88)

I can't understand  this moaning about the chairman of Lotus making 26
million. Instead of sitting around counting how many employees one could
hire we should try and figure out how he did it. There are many, many people in this world who get paid MORE than 26 Million. I feel no grudge against
the people who can manage to do this. In fact, I like it... It gives me
someone to study so that someday perhaps I can make 26 million a year
myself.

Scott MacQuarrie
Senior Techinical Consultant
AT&T Canada Inc.
{utzoo, ihnp4}!attcan!ctor01!scott

floyd@brl-smoke.ARPA (Floyd C. Wofford) (05/04/88)

In article <11334@mimsy.UUCP> chris@mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) writes:

>I have just invented a matter duplicator.  A friend drove his new BMW
>over here this weekend, and we put it in the `original' side; I
>shoveled an equal mass of dirt into the hopper, and produced an exact
>copy.
>
>--
>In-Real-Life: Chris Torek, Univ of MD Comp Sci Dept (+1 301 454 7163)
>Domain:	chris@mimsy.umd.edu	Path:	uunet!mimsy!chris

You can resolve the morality problems amongst yourselves.  I have some
dirt; how much would you charge to make a BMW for me.

Viva entrepreneurship!  I hope you can make $27,000,000.00 a year (in the
first month) with it.  Whatever you do though, do not get it patented.
You have a fine idea, exploit the heck out of it.

floyd@brl.arpa

brad@looking.UUCP (Brad Templeton) (05/04/88)

You bet it was immoral for you to duplicated that BMW, and also illegal.

In using your matter duplicator, you became a car manufacturer.  The
duplicator is not important.  You could make an exact duplicate of a BMW
with conventional methods (BMW does it all the time).

Aside from the obvious fact that you would have to rip the BMW logos,
nameplates, insignia and serial numbers off your duplicated car, or be
guilty of fraud, I think it would not be proper of you to duplicate all
the artistic and aesthetic elements of the car without paying the creators
of those elements.

Plus, there had better not be any patented parts in the automobile, including
things patented by people who simply licenced the patents to BMW.
(Isn't that British Motor Works? :-) )

Fact is that the design and engineering of a car, particularly a fancy car,
is a considerable creative effort.  Just like writing a piece of software.
It is immoral to misappropriate somebody else's creative efforts against
their will.

Why is that hard to understand?
--
Brad Templeton, Looking Glass Software Ltd. - Waterloo, Ontario 519/884-7473

rwwetmore@watmath.waterloo.edu (Ross Wetmore) (05/05/88)

In article <1606@looking.UUCP> brad@looking.UUCP (Brad Templeton) writes:
>You bet it was immoral for you to duplicated that BMW, and also illegal.
>
>In using your matter duplicator, you became a car manufacturer.  The
>duplicator is not important.  You could make an exact duplicate of a BMW
>with conventional methods (BMW does it all the time).
> [ ... ]
>It is immoral to misappropriate somebody else's creative efforts against
>their will.
>
>Why is that hard to understand?
>--
>Brad Templeton, Looking Glass Software Ltd. - Waterloo, Ontario 519/884-7473

The devil's advocate would probably come up with something like ...

Throughout history spies and informants have long understood that the
value of information was inversely proportional to the number of people
that had that information, and for all intents and purposes a delta
function for any individual transaction.

The costs of passing on information are almost independent and usually much
much less than the value of the information (before the transaction).

Darwinian evolution and its corresponding commercial counterpart imply that
that survival depends on taking advantage of any competitive edge.

This implies the converse that those with a competitive edge use it and
try to monopolize it in an effort to stifle the competitor.

The only time this is a concern is when there is money or prestige involved
(ie some definite survival advantage).

There is no morality in nature or a capitalist economy ... except survival
ie it is immoral not to survive (it is also dangerous to your health :-).

Ross W. Wetmore                 | rwwetmore@water.NetNorth
University of Waterloo          | rwwetmore@math.waterloo.edu
Waterloo, Ontario N2L 3G1       | {clyde, ihnp4, ubc-vision, utcsri}
(519) 885-1211 ext 3491         |   !watmath!rwwetmore

mike@cisunx.UUCP (Mike Elliot) (05/05/88)

In article <810@netxcom.UUCP> ewiles@netxcom.UUCP (Edwin Wiles) writes:
[Lots of stuff deleted]
>What I'm interested in is if
>this product is worth the price *to* *me*.  Which, with something like a
>compiler, I'm going to need at least a solid month of working with it before I
>can come to a decision.  An expenditure of over $200 for one software product
>is a major purchase for me!
>
>The only 'legal' way that I would able to do this sort of testing, would be to
>borrow such products from friends for a period of time.  Since they wouldn't
>want to be left without their software for an extended period, this would
>involve copying.  Understand, I'd only do this to decide which of several
>packages did everything I wanted, the way that I wanted.  When I came to a
>final decision, which would take some time, I WOULD purchase one of them.
>The others would be destroyed.
>
>Is this a 'justifiable' usage of 'copied' software?
>Or am I asking for a lawsuit?

As far as legal, its not. Once a person buys software X, he is allowed to
make backup copies. However, he is not allowed to have more than one copy
of the software running at a time. Therefore, if you are both running this
software, you are violating the copyright.

Now justifiable, is another story. I won't speak for all of the software
vendors out there, but if you were to do this with software that I was
marketing, I wouldn't take you to court over it.

Your other option is to talk with trusted friends who have used the soft-
ware in question and to check out reviews in PC Magazine and the like.

gcf@actnyc.UUCP (Gordon Fitch) (05/06/88)

In article <11334@mimsy.UUCP> chris@mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) writes:
} In article <9160@cisunx.UUCP> mike@cisunx.UUCP (Mike  Elliot) writes:
} >Illegally copy software is not immoral if and only if stealing is not
} >immoral.
}
} Is it?
}
} I have just invented a matter duplicator.  A friend drove his new BMW
} over here this weekend, and we put it in the `original' side; I
} shoveled an equal mass of dirt into the hopper, and produced an exact
} copy.
}
} Was that immoral?

Part of what BMW sells is BMW design, on which they put in a lot
of time, effort, and money (I guess.)  Maybe you should have negotiated
a royalty arrangement.

joel@pyr.gatech.EDU (Joel Rives) (05/06/88)

>scott@attcan.UUCP (Scott MacQuarrie) (scott@attcan.UUCP, <3367@attcan.UUCP>):
>
>I can't understand  this moaning about the chairman of Lotus making 26
>million. Instead of sitting around counting how many employees one could
>hire we should try and figure out how he did it. There are many, many people in this world who get paid MORE than 26 Million. I feel no grudge against
>the people who can manage to do this. In fact, I like it... It gives me
>someone to study so that someday perhaps I can make 26 million a year
>myself.

Great!

[ Start sarcastic interlude ] <- lest other's misunderstand

Let's all play "King of the Heap" and see who can get closest to the
top. Who cares that we may have to trample thousands of hapless jerks
that get in our way. Heh, that's the law of the jungle don't ya know!
And so what if the heap we're climbing is slowly but surely becoming
a dung heap due to all that trampling. Just as long as I get as
close to the top as I can (that way I don't have to look at all those
poor suckers down below).

[ End sarcastic interlude ]

Making lots of money is one thing. Doing it despite the welfare of the
rest of humanity is genocidal.

joel
--
		The thief
		  Left it behind--

brad@looking.UUCP (Brad Templeton) (05/06/88)

In article <18662@watmath.waterloo.edu> rwwetmore@watmath.waterloo.edu (Ross Wetmore) writes:
> ... a long analogy about "darwinist capitalism"
>
>There is no morality in nature or a capitalist economy ... except survival
>ie it is immoral not to survive (it is also dangerous to your health :-).

This is pretty high on the silly analogies list, Ross.  Capitalism is
fundamentally based on the concept of private property.  A system without
a moral concept of property (ie. one where property is protected only through
loyalty and strong weapons) can't have capitalism.

The big debate in this forum centers in non-material property, such as
software.

To me, a person's creations are the truest form of personal property.  While
one might argue that one owns a piece of land only through social
conventions, ownership and control of one's own thoughts and mental creations
is indisputable -- until you publish them, and then that ownership needs laws
to protect it.

So to me, software is a more true form of property than land!  It is not
proper to do something with somebody else's property without their
permission.  And when you pay for the right to use software, you don't
get permission to copy it and give it away.
--
Brad Templeton, Looking Glass Software Ltd. - Waterloo, Ontario 519/884-7473

john@geac.UUCP (John Henshaw) (05/06/88)

In article <5713@pyr.gatech.EDU> joel@pyr.UUCP (Joel Rives) writes:

>Making lots of money is one thing. Doing it despite the welfare of the
>rest of humanity is genocidal.
>
>joel

Interesting... And yet it seems that this is exactly what mankind has
been doing for centuries - and now the planet is getting more and more
crowded. (Is this a form of genocide?) How do you reconcile this apparent
inconsistency?

-john-
--

dc@gcm (Dave Caswell) (05/07/88)

In article <5079@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU> peter@athena.mit.edu (Peter J Desnoyers) writes:
.If Lotus fired their chairman tomorrow, they would still be in
.business in a year. If they fired their engineers, they would be out

That is not the argument.  The argument would have to be put 500 engineers
in a room and see if a large successful company pops up.  Or is the success
really the result of a few peoples foresight and of course the
cooperation of many other people.

.of business very soon. This seems to be one of the many cases where

Engineers are 600,000 a dozen but people who can build large successful
companies are very rare.

.corporate salaries are not explainable by assuming a free market in
.equilibrium. Of course, Lotus collects monopoly rents on its products,

The high wages aren't because no one else has the product they are because
no one else(or hardly anyone) has the wisdom to lead a company to such success.

.due to time of introduction, copyright, and other factors, which allows

Other factors such as money invested in research, advertising, having the
best product etc.

.
.However, just because this guy is making 26M doesn't mean we should
.steal from Lotus. Instead, we should be trying to find out why
.executives in Lotus and many other firms are allowed to steal from
.consumers and employees, and find a way to prevent it.

It was probably somebody at the chairman level who decided to go ahead and
spend the money to go ahead with the product in the first place.  It was
not obvious that spending the millions of dollars it cost to develop 1-2-3
was the right thing to do.  Lotus is a publicly held company.  I don't
understand the reference from stealing.  Do you really think that if the
chairman died in a car accident tommorow and a successor could not be found
that everyone's salary would increase?  Would dividends go up?

dc@gcm (Dave Caswell) (05/07/88)

In article <810@netxcom.UUCP> ewiles@netxcom.UUCP (Edwin Wiles) writes:
>In article <9360@cisunx.UUCP> mike@unix.cis.pittsburgh.edu (Mike  Elliot)
>writes:
>>In article <807@netxcom.UUCP> ewiles@netxcom.UUCP (Edwin Wiles) writes:

.The only 'legal' way that I would able to do this sort of testing, would be to
.borrow such products from friends for a period of time.  Since they wouldn't
.want to be left without their software for an extended period, this would
.involve copying.  Understand, I'd only do this to decide which of several
.packages did everything I wanted, the way that I wanted.  When I came to a
.final decision, which would take some time, I WOULD purchase one of them.
.The others would be destroyed.

Read almost any software agreement.  It is not copiable except for backup
purposes.  Your argument is meaningless; you can not copy it.  You have to
think of some other way to make a buying decision.  Most people seem to make
do for other products.

dc@gcm (Dave Caswell) (05/07/88)

In article <11334@mimsy.UUCP> chris@mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) writes:
.
.I have just invented a matter duplicator.  A friend drove his new BMW
.over here this weekend, and we put it in the `original' side; I
.shoveled an equal mass of dirt into the hopper, and produced an exact
.copy.
.Was that immoral?
Of course you forgot to state that he agreed not to copy it and that it is
against the law.  Do you call it Chris Torek Inc?  How much do you charge
for a 535i?  Is Prevention against disintegration guaranteed for the first
twelve months?  Did the original company that did all the work designing
the car manage to stay in business now that their product has to be priced
like dirt?  I'm sure that they advertising dollars were spent because they
thought it would entice people to buy their product rather than help some
startup company in Maryland.

.(Alas, the duplicate and the duplicator were both unstable, and both
.just dissolved back into piles of virtual particles.)

Sort of like joy riding correct?  I stole your car while you were sleeping
last night but it is back in your garage in time to drive to work the
next morning.

dc@gcm (Dave Caswell) (05/07/88)

In article <5713@pyr.gatech.EDU> joel@pyr.UUCP (Joel Rives) writes:
.
.[ Start sarcastic interlude ] <- lest other's misunderstand
.
.Let's all play "King of the Heap" and see who can get closest to the
.top. Who cares that we may have to trample thousands of hapless jerks
.that get in our way. Heh, that's the law of the jungle don't ya know!
.And so what if the heap we're climbing is slowly but surely becoming
.a dung heap due to all that trampling. Just as long as I get as
.close to the top as I can (that way I don't have to look at all those
.poor suckers down below).
.
.[ End sarcastic interlude ]
.
.Making lots of money is one thing. Doing it despite the welfare of the
.rest of humanity is genocidal.

genocide n.  The systematic, planned annihilation of a racial, political
	      or cultural group.  [Gree  gemas, race  see gene]

What is the world does the chairman of Lotus Development Inc. have to do
with the rest of humanity.  Life is not a zero sum game.  Success does not
neccessarily imply someone else's failure; maybe you are thinking of baseball
games?  Just so you know I got paid yesterday and the welfare of the rest
of humanity never once crossed my mind and I should know.  I'm saving it
to buy a real BMW.  I would rather be at the top than anywhere else and
when I am not posting I spend most of my time working to get there.

I think that a world where people were not rewarded for their efforts would
be genocide for the U.S.

rwwetmore@watmath.waterloo.edu (Ross Wetmore) (05/09/88)

In article <1614@looking.UUCP> brad@looking.UUCP (Brad Templeton) writes:
>In article <18662@watmath.waterloo.edu> rwwetmore@watmath.waterloo.edu (Ross Wetmore) writes:
>> ... a long analogy about "darwinist capitalism"
>>
>>There is no morality in nature or a capitalist economy ... except survival
>>ie it is immoral not to survive (it is also dangerous to your health :-).
>>
>This is pretty high on the silly analogies list, Ross.
  I thought it was at about the same tenor as the earlier posting :-).

>Capitalism is
>fundamentally based on the concept of private property.  A system without
>a moral concept of property (ie. one where property is protected only through
>loyalty and strong weapons) can't have capitalism.
  In the end property is always protected by strong weapons - you can call
it a 'police' force or a 'military' force, however I don't know any
(capitalist == competitive) society that doesn't have such referees to
back up the current 'morality' of their position.

>The big debate in this forum centers in non-material property, such as
>software.
  The key point is that non-material property in the form of ideas cannot
be controlled unless you institute mind control. It is only the tangible
material products of those ideas that you stand a chance of controlling.
However, I would not like to live in a society 50 years from now, where
every time I turned an idea into a product I was sued for copyright because
every idea anyone ever had was recorded and every idea ever produced could
be traced back to components of at least a million predecessors.

>To me, a person's creations are the truest form of personal property.  While
>one might argue that one owns a piece of land only through social
>conventions, ownership and control of one's own thoughts and mental creations
>is indisputable -- until you publish them, and then that ownership needs laws
>to protect it.
  Once you transmit a idea, it no longer belongs to you. Anyone can think it.
I refuse to constrain my thoughts just because you thought them at some
prior point in time. Put another way, I refuse to let you claim exclusive
ownership on any thoughts.

>So to me, software is a more true form of property than land!  It is not
>proper to do something with somebody else's property without their
>permission.  And when you pay for the right to use software, you don't
>get permission to copy it and give it away.
  I am not against copyright protection of software or any other creative
efforts. My point is that this is *not* a simple black and white picture,
and the whole concept of intellectual property is an incredible minefield.

fmr@cwi.nl (Frank Rahmani) (05/10/88)

> You bet it was immoral for you to duplicated that BMW, and also illegal.
> Aside from the obvious fact that you would have to rip the BMW logos,
> nameplates, insignia and serial numbers off your duplicated car, or be
> guilty of fraud, I think it would not be proper of you to duplicate all
> the artistic and aesthetic elements of the car without paying the creators
> of those elements.
> (Isn't that British Motor Works? :-) )
It would be neither immoral nor illegal to make your personal copy
of a BMW (says BMW). It would be quite a respectable effort. They
would like to use your 'copy' for carshows (first handbuild BMW!)
By the way , all car manufacturers sell their logo's and insignia's
to anybody who wants them (collectors, kit car builders etc.)
And of course BMW is Bayerische Motoren Werke (in contrary to
any British car manufacturer their sales grow, they even caught up
with Germany's number one: Mercedes.
I hope you understand that cars are a bad example in this discussion.
> It is immoral to misappropriate somebody else's creative efforts against
> their will.
Nonsense. Copying somebody else's creative efforts is a creative effort
in itself, you are creating something, if it is your idea or not.
And how about two or more people having the same idea at the same
time without knowing about each other? When YOU see the finished
product you would shurely accuse one of them having copied the other.

> Why is that hard to understand?
Because worldwide the lack of respect towards other people's
properties has grown immensely, that's what we call Freedom.
--
It is better never to have been born. But who among us has such luck?
These opinions are solely mine and in no way reflect those of my employer.

mch@computing-maths.cardiff.ac.uk (Major Kano) (05/10/88)

In article <807@netxcom.UUCP> ewiles@netxcom.UUCP (Edwin Wiles) writes:
## In article <1801@uhccux.UUCP> lee@uhccux.UUCP (Greg Lee) writes:

(* robin hood stuff deleted *)

## And in case you think I'm being frivolous, I'm not.  I would like to see
## more discussion on exactly WHY copying software is 'wrong/right'.
(*
   What everyone seems to ignore is that the *REAL* argument in favour of
   s/w copying is a combination of (1) and (2) below:-
*)
##
## 1 The people who wrote it are charging so much for it that I can't afford it,
##   yet I really need it.  (A rather lame argument.)
##
## 2 The people who wrote it are greedy so-and-so's who charge 200% more than
##   the product is actually worth, so I'm reducing that profit margin to
##   something more reasonable.  (Not much better.)
(*
   In other words,

   "I really need it, and though I should like, from a fair-play viewpoint, to
    pay for it, the people who wrote it are greedy so-and-so's and are
    charging 200% more than the product is actually worth."

   In other words, the s/w writers are * PROFITEERING *.

   This seems to me to be a crushing indictment of s/w writers, but it is the
most common reason for s/w copying that I have heard of. In most cases, I would
agree with it.

   What does everyone else think ?

--
Martin C. Howe, University College Cardiff | "You actually program in 'C'
mch@vax1.computing-maths.cardiff.ac.uk.    |  WITHOUT regular eye-tests ?!"

joel@pyr.gatech.EDU (Joel Rives) (05/11/88)

>john@geac.UUCP (John Henshaw) (john@geac.UUCP, <2708@geac.UUCP>):
>In article <5713@pyr.gatech.EDU> joel@pyr.UUCP (Joel Rives) writes:
>>
>>Making lots of money is one thing. Doing it despite the welfare of the
>>rest of humanity is genocidal.
>>
>>joel
>
>Interesting... And yet it seems that this is exactly what mankind has
>been doing for centuries - and now the planet is getting more and more
>crowded. (Is this a form of genocide?) How do you reconcile this apparent
>inconsistency?

You attribute a quality to mankind, as a whole, which I think is
erroneous. I attest that the vast majority of mankind are not primarily
concerned with making more money-- as you suggest.

	[ A complete look at my original posting will show that
	  	this is in fact what John is suggesting ]

Regardless of one's opinion on the matter of mankind's primary goal,
this in now way introduces any form of inconsistancy that I can see.
Perhaps, you can shed some light on the matter for me.

joel

--
		The thief
		  Left it behind--

chris@mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) (05/12/88)

[subject left alone so that kill files work]

>In article <11334@mimsy.UUCP> I wrote a little parable:
>>I have just invented a matter duplicator.  A friend drove his new BMW
>>over here this weekend, and we put it in the `original' side; I
>>shoveled an equal mass of dirt into the hopper, and produced an exact
>>copy. ... Was that immoral?

So many people have misinterpreted this that I feel compelled to
elaborate.  Apologies to those reading comp.misc for things that are
related directly to computing.

In article <458@white.gcm> dc@gcm (Dave Caswell) writes:
>Of course you forgot to state that he agreed not to copy it and that it is
>against the law.

I really did buy a new car (alas, not a BMW :-) ) some months ago.
There was nothing in the sales agreement making copying illegal.
Various parts on the thing are patented, but that too does not make
them illegal to copy.  (Ask a patent lawyer for details.  It amounts to
certain types of `home use' being legal.)

In point of fact, copying a car with such a device would be illegal,
but not for the reasons everyone seems to believe.  It would be illegal
because it would have the same serial number as the original, and the
same license plates.  And as far as I can tell, those are the *only*
reasons the *act of copying* would be illegal.

It would, of course, also be illegal to drive the copy on public roads,
as matter duplications are not approved for safety, and so forth.  But
all of these are largely irrelevant:  I was not questioning the
legality of software pirating---it is quite definitely illegal--- but
rather trying to lead some of you to realise that copying and stealing
are not identical, and therefore the immorality of the former act (if
you believe, as I do, that stealing is immoral) does not, in and of
itself, impart immorality to the latter.

*Is* copying immoral?  No and yes.  I remain unconvinced of both
answers.  Is it illegal?  Yes.  Should you do it?  I advise not:  the
law holds no regard for morals.  (That last is a job for the judge and
jury.)

>>(Alas, the duplicate and the duplicator were both unstable, and both
>>just dissolved back into piles of virtual particles.)

>Do you call it Chris Torek Inc?  How much do you charge for a 535i?
>Is Prevention against disintegration guaranteed for the first
>twelve months?

Just supposing I did invent a duplicator---one not built of virtual
particles and imaginary transmuters---my current inclination would be
to give it away.  As soon as you had one, and she had one, and they had
one, why, everyone would have one.  The economy would suffer horribly,
and the government would dither madly, and after a while, and maybe a
war or two as various governments tried to suppress the invention,
everything would settle down and the matter of real-object copies would
finally have been answered.

>Sort of like joy riding correct?

*No*.  Given the concept of property ownership, joyriding is clearly
immoral (unless the owner gives the `joyer' the keys and says `go
have fun').  And in any case, there is a risk to the original, and
there is wear upon it; if the joyrider uses only a copy, there is
no risk to the original (beyond the copying process) and there is
no wear on the original.

So let me try it again, on a rather less emotional subject.  Suppose I
had such a method of duplication, and used it on my wheezy old 1979
Chevette Scooter (the Chevette was not my idea; I bought it from my
father years ago).  Legality questions aside, would that be immoral?
*Think* about your answer---do not tell it to me; I really do not care
very much.  But think about it, and consider this too:  Does your answer
change if the duplication consists of hand-crafting each part?  (And
have I taken one too many philosophy classes? :-) )

jimh@ism780c.UUCP (Jim Hori) (05/14/88)

In article <5713@pyr.gatech.EDU> joel@pyr.UUCP (Joel Rives) writes:
>>scott@attcan.UUCP (Scott MacQuarrie) (scott@attcan.UUCP, <3367@attcan.UUCP>):
>>
>>I can't understand  this moaning about the chairman of Lotus making 26
>>million. Instead of sitting around counting how many employees one could
 stuff deleted - you've seen it

>Great!
>
>[ Start sarcastic interlude ] <- lest other's misunderstand
>
>Let's all play "King of the Heap" and see who can get closest to the
 more stuff deleted
>Making lots of money is one thing. Doing it despite the welfare of the
>rest of humanity is genocidal.

Informational question: is this 26 mil a yearly salary, or a
one time figure based on stock options, bonuses, etc. A friend
claims no company could afford to pay this yearly.

Jess Wondering.

jimh@ism780c.UUCP
awopbopaloobop
alopbamboom

brad@looking.UUCP (Brad Templeton) (05/14/88)

In article <362@cf-cm.UUCP> mch@computing-maths.cardiff.ac.uk (Major Kano) writes:

>   "I really need it, and though I should like, from a fair-play viewpoint, to
>    pay for it, the people who wrote it are greedy so-and-so's and are
>    charging 200% more than the product is actually worth."

If software authors charged 200% more than what their software was worth, they
would not sell one single copy.  Not one.  OK, perhaps a few copies to
complete imbiciles, but that's about it.  Lotus has managed to sell a few
million copies.

Ah, you mean 200% more than it's worth to YOU!  So what we need is to hire
you and others like you to be "worth police" to go around and make sure
nobody charges more for anything than you think it's worth, even if millions
of others think it is worth more.

How much is land worth?  How much is gold worth?  How much is a spreadsheet
worth?  Why should software be any different from land?

>   In other words, the s/w writers are * PROFITEERING *.
>
>   This seems to me to be a crushing indictment of s/w writers, but it is the
>most common reason for s/w copying that I have heard of. In most cases, I would
>agree with it.

I hate to tell you this, but making as big a profit as possible is what makes
the world go around.  Most people in business would be confused if you told
them profiteering was a crushing indictment.

I suppose you want wage police to set your salary, and to make sure it
gets reduced if it gets too high, or *gasp* more than you're worth.

--
Brad Templeton, Looking Glass Software Ltd. - Waterloo, Ontario 519/884-7473

wtr@clyde.ATT.COM (Bill Rankin) (05/14/88)

In article <362@cf-cm.UUCP> mch@computing-maths.cardiff.ac.uk (Major Kano) writes:
>   What everyone seems to ignore is that the *REAL* argument in favour of
>   s/w copying is a combination of (1) and (2) below:-
>
>> 1 The people who wrote it are charging so much for it that I can't afford it,
>>   yet I really need it.  (A rather lame argument.)
           ^^^^^^ ^^^^ ^^
>   In other words,
>
>   "I really need it, and though I should like, from a fair-play viewpoint
       ^^^^^^ ^^^^ ^^
>    to pay for it, the people who wrote it are greedy so-and-so's and are
>    charging 200% more than the product is actually worth."
>
>   What does everyone else think ?
>Martin C. Howe, University College Cardiff | "You actually program in 'C'

OH, COME ON NOW!  LETS AT LEAST BE HONEST TO OURSELVES.

the majority of pirated software is NEEDED like the people who steal
it NEED a hole in their head.  the feeling/emotion that we are looking
at is DESIRE/GREED.  "oh god! look at that user interface! i got to
have that to show off to my peon friends!"  NEED usually has very
little to do pirated software.

just look at your REAL motives and desires befor you EVER go calling
programmers who spent time producing a product as "greedy so-and-so's"!
at least they have put a lot of effort and professionalism into their
code.

people whom actually NEED a piece of software usually end up buying
it.  if for nothing else than to rag on the company who wrote it
when something goes wrong ;-)

BTW: how does all this apply to a software house that uses pirated
text editors to write their code ;-)

life is something like existance between alt.flame and rec.humor.
keep on smilin'

Bill Rankin
Bell Labs, Whippany NJ
(201) 386-4154 (cornet 232)

email address:		...![ ihnp4 ulysses cbosgd allegra ]!moss!wtr
			...![ ihnp4 cbosgd akgua watmath  ]!clyde!wtr

dc@gcm (Dave Caswell) (05/16/88)

In article <362@cf-cm.UUCP> mch@computing-maths.cardiff.ac.uk (Major Kano) writes:
.   "I really need it, and though I should like, from a fair-play viewpoint, to
.    pay for it, the people who wrote it are greedy so-and-so's and are
.    charging 200% more than the product is actually worth."
.
.
.   In other words, the s/w writers are * PROFITEERING *.
.
.   This seems to me to be a crushing indictment of s/w writers, but it is the
.most common reason for s/w copying that I have heard of. In most cases, I would
.agree with it.

It is amazing that the Major is able to talk about the problem with profits
in one sentence and than in the next talk about stealing products that are
too expensive.  This is what you get from a society where profits are
bad.  It is not more fairness and concern for others instead it is theft
and lawlessness.

You do not pay for something from a fair play perspective. This is very
important, instead you pay to transfer ownership of something that belongs
to someone else.

Socialists have little need for property rights and consequently individual
rights.  Theft is what they understand.

--
Dave Caswell
Greenwich Capital Markets                      uunet!philabs!gcm!dc

john@frog.UUCP (John Woods) (05/16/88)

In article <10033@ism780c.UUCP>, jimh@ism780c.UUCP (Jim Hori) writes:
> Informational question: is this 26 mil a yearly salary, or a
> one time figure based on stock options, bonuses, etc. A friend
> claims no company could afford to pay this yearly.

According to the May 2, 1988 Business Week magazine,  Jim P. Manzi had a
1987 salary and bonus of $941,000, plus "long term compensation" (e.g. stock
options) of $25,356,000, for a total of $26,297,000.

The annual Executive Compensation issue of Business Week is always
interesting.  One of the things they do is try to analyze which executives
gave their shareholders the best value for their money.  One of their
ratings compares the total shareholder return to the compensation (over a
three year period), the other relates pay to return on equity.  Using the
first yardstick, Mr. Manzi came in fourth worst -- shareholder return was
284% (not at all bad), and total compensation for 3 years was $30,404,000.
Worst place was, for at least the second year running, Lee Iacocca, with
71% return being achieved at a cost of $49,865,000.  The best value was
Robert Swanson, founder of Genentech, was paid $1120K and had a return of
391%; followed by Joseph R. Canion, president of Compaq, paid $2292K and
returning 736%.

Go read the magazine.  It is, as usual, a fascinating article (and also
includes a discussion of the impact of stock options (the vast bulk of
Mr. Manzi's compensation last year) on corporations).

--
John Woods, Charles River Data Systems, Framingham MA, (617) 626-1101
...!decvax!frog!john, john@frog.UUCP, ...!mit-eddie!jfw, jfw@eddie.mit.edu

"Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation."
		-- Johnny Hart

rafael@proxftl.UUCP (Rafael Mayer) (05/16/88)

> Informational question: is this 26 mil a yearly salary, or a
> one time figure based on stock options, bonuses, etc. A friend
> claims no company could afford to pay this yearly.
>
> Jess Wondering.

Your right these are stock options and bonuses which vary from year to year.
The base pay for these executives can vary from 1/4 mill to a mill. The bonuses
are the so-called performance incentives. Iacocca this year is getting 18 mill
in bonuses (down 9 mill from last year, poor guy). Sculley at Apple makes
1 million base pay and several million in bonuses. I find it all sort of
ridiculous, probably because I am not quite sure what one does with that kind
of money. After allhow many yacths can you own?

							Rafael

wayneck@tekig5.TEK.COM (Wayne Knapp) (05/17/88)

In article <362@cf-cm.UUCP>, mch@computing-maths.cardiff.ac.uk (Major Kano) writes:
>    In other words,
>
>    "I really need it, and though I should like, from a fair-play viewpoint, to
>     pay for it, the people who wrote it are greedy so-and-so's and are
>     charging 200% more than the product is actually worth."
>
>    In other words, the s/w writers are * PROFITEERING *.
>
>    This seems to me to be a crushing indictment of s/w writers, but it is the
> most common reason for s/w copying that I have heard of. In most cases, I would
> agree with it.
>
>    What does everyone else think ?
>
> --
> Martin C. Howe, University College Cardiff | "You actually program in 'C'

   You are really off base.  The programmer often gets less than 15% of the
wholesale cost of the software.  A decent package will cost around $10 to
produce and normally one sells software packages to distributors for 40% of
the list price. They move the software out to store and by mail order at around
55% to 70% of list.  Store resell it at around 80% to 100% of list price.  You
can save a lot by buying mail order.

    Now lets say the author gets a good contract how much dose he make?

      List price     Wholesale price      -minus cost    author gets
       $50                $20                 $10            $1.50
      $100                $40                 $30            $4.50
      $250               $100                 $90           $13.50

So if the author has put over a year in his work (often much more) he needs
to set the price at a level where he can make good money for the year.  It is
simply supply and demand.  He isn't a profiteer.  He is trying to survive.

    I have some software that will be out this summer.  A several people have
over 4 man years of effort in it.  The list price will be around $300.  If all
goes well I'll get $30,000 for my years worth of work.  The other people will
get less since this code is a port.  Since the market for this kind of code is
less than 10,000 people right now I can't really sell it for less.  If I set
the price at $50 and sold a copy to all 10,000 people I get around $15,000 for
a years work.  Forget it.  If someone can not come up the $180 mail order price
he dosen't need my program!  I need to make a living too!  The real PROFITEER is
the priate who copies my code.  He gets 4 years worth of work for nothing!  By
the way most of the money that doesn't go to the author goes to pay for user
support for the package.

   So I think that anyone who copies a program without paying should have to
pay the author 100 times what he would normally make for the sell and also
have his floppy cut off.  Priates are the true PROFITEERS - why do you think
they are called priates!

                                      Wayne Knapp

floyd@brl-smoke.ARPA (Floyd C. Wofford) (05/17/88)

In article <173@proxftl.UUCP> rafael@proxftl.UUCP (Rafael Mayer) writes:

> After all how many yacths can you own?
>
>							Rafael

At least one more than I already have.

dewey@execu.EXECU (dewey henize) (05/17/88)

Do you really think you are going to convince each other on this?

There are those that are going to steal every piece of software they think
they might want.  It's their 'right', can't you see that?  Just because someone
else made it and debugged it and packaged it doesn't matter.

So save yourself some problems.  You CAN NOT convince someone who steals
copyrighted programs that they shouldn't - the only thing you can occasionally
convince him/her of is that they might get caught.  And you know how likely
that will be....

ray@micomvax.UUCP (Ray Dunn) (05/17/88)

In article <493@sering.cwi.nl> fmr@cwi.nl (Frank Rahmani) writes:
>> It is immoral to misappropriate somebody else's creative efforts against
>> their will.
>Nonsense. Copying somebody else's creative efforts is a creative effort
>in itself, you are creating something, if it is your idea or not.

Nonsense. Copying somebody else's creative efforts is a creative effort
in itself, you are creating something, if it is your idea or not.

Wow.  Aren't the above two lines a paragon of creativity!! (:-)

>> Why is that hard to understand?
>Because worldwide the lack of respect towards other people's
>properties has grown immensely, that's what we call Freedom.

No......that's what we call anarchy.

Frankly, seeing freedom equated with the right to tread roughshod over the
property of others, intellectual or otherwise, is a distortion which
disturbs me strangely.  In this case however I am willing to rest fairly
easy, as the whole posting was ah... a little off the beaten track!

--
Ray Dunn.                      |   UUCP: ..!{philabs, mnetor}!micomvax!ray
Philips Electronics Ltd.       |   TEL : (514) 744-8200   Ext: 2347

jpn@teddy.UUCP (John P. Nelson) (05/18/88)

>people whom actually NEED a piece of software usually end up buying
>it.  if for nothing else than to rag on the company who wrote it
>when something goes wrong ;-)

Gee, I don't know.  This isn't ALWAYS true.  A simple counterexample:
MSDOS.  I'll bet that there are a LOT of pirate copies of this
operating system out there.  And you NEED it, or your computer system
won't run.

If I ever decide to upgrade from DOS 3.1, I'll probably use a pirated
copy.  Why?  Because:  #1:  Microsoft/IBM did not provide any way for me to
upgrade my legitimate copy of DOS at a reasonable price, and #2:  I
don't expect to get any SUPPORT from Microsoft no matter HOW loudly I
complain.  At the moment, I'm sorry that I paid good money to upgrade
from DOS 2.11!

--
     john nelson

UUCP:            {decvax,mit-eddie}!genrad!teddy!jpn
ARPA (sort of):  talcott.harvard.edu!panda!teddy!jpn

timim@ihlpg.ATT.COM (Tim Lorello) (05/18/88)

In article <2767@tekig5.TEK.COM>, wayneck@tekig5.TEK.COM (Wayne Knapp) writes:
> The real PROFITEER is
> the priate who copies my code.  He gets 4 years worth of work for nothing!
>
>                                       Wayne Knapp

This is right on the money.  It is interesting that the motives of the Lotus
chairperson are being questioned by the original poster.  All questions of
capitalism aside; when you pirate someone's software, you take something that
is not yours.  You did not design it.  You did not provide input to its
assimilation.  What gives you the right to take it or copy it?  Our legal
system has already stated that software is "copywrightable."  Our morality
says that taking something from someone, INCLUDING IDEAS, is a form of theft
unless compensation is provided.  Sometimes, the compensation can be a simple
thank you or acknowledgement.  Sometimes it is $400.  If you want to test
a piece of software out ahead of time, BORROW IT from your friend, have your
software dealer demo it (or maybe he'll lend/rent it to you), read reviews,
talk with people.  There are a lot of other ways to find out about software
without having to copy it.  Be creative!

		Tim Lorello
		AT&T Bell Laboratories

mwm@eris (Mike (I'm in love with my car) Meyer) (05/18/88)

In article <160@execu.EXECU> dewey@execu.EXECU (dewey henize) writes:
<Do you really think you are going to convince each other on this?

No - that's why I only posted one article, very early in the
discussion.

<So save yourself some problems.  You CAN NOT convince someone who steals
<copyrighted programs that they shouldn't - the only thing you can occasionally
<convince him/her of is that they might get caught.  And you know how likely
<that will be....

Likewise, you CAN NOT convince someone who thinks that intellectual
property makes sense that it's an oxymoron. You can occasionally
convince them that copying something is not the same thing as stealing
it. But that's not very likely.

	<mike
--
I went down to the hiring fair,				Mike Meyer
For to sell my labor.					mwm@berkeley.edu

rwwetmore@watmath.waterloo.edu (Ross Wetmore) (05/18/88)

In article <5371@ihlpg.ATT.COM> timim@ihlpg.ATT.COM (Tim Lorello) writes:
>In article <2767@tekig5.TEK.COM>, wayneck@tekig5.TEK.COM (Wayne Knapp) writes:
>> The real PROFITEER is
>> the priate who copies my code.  He gets 4 years worth of work for nothing!
>>                                       Wayne Knapp
>
>This is right on the money.
  It is one aspect of the problem. No one except a 110% socialist really
believes that those creative enough to come up with original ideas should
not be compensated accordingly. Most people don't understand the role of
the chairman of the board, seven levels of middle-men and the government
who get most of this compensation though and this confuses them into
thinking they can do the same.

>All questions of capitalism aside;
  Then you are a socialist, and we already discussed what those fundamental
hypotheses imply.

>when you pirate someone's software, you take something that is not yours.
  Oops, property is a capitalist concept.
  Careful, what you take is ideas structured in a particular form.

>You did not design it.  You did not provide input to its
>assimilation.  What gives you the right to take it or copy it?
  Ideas cannot be owned by anyone (yet, and I hope never). Back off and
take a serious look at the implications of this one before rushing off to
legislate. If someone stands on his soapbox and spouts, those ideas do not
remain his/her property (besides they probably weren't his/hers anyway).
To be more explicit, copyrighting certain negative ideas would be a great
way to control dissent.

>Our legal system has already stated that software is "copywrightable."
  It is not clear what the Apple lawsuit will mean, but until now I believe
it has been perfectly legal to take the description of the idea and create
ones own particular form of its implementation.
  That is, it is the form of expression or implementation of the idea that
the creative person can currently lay claim to.

>Our morality says that taking something from someone, INCLUDING IDEAS,
>is a form of theft unless compensation is provided.
  Morality == religion -> breeds all kinds of myopic fanatics. Moral
justification is only applicable to those who belong to your particular
sect, and should be confined to discussions between its members.
  Besides this statement is obviously wrong :-)

>		Tim Lorello
>		AT&T Bell Laboratories

  We are in the information age, and one of its problems is defining
workable property rights for information. This is not a good-guy/bad-guy
emotional exercise but a serious issue. Those that wish to blindly apply
material property rights to everything are ignoring some fundamental
differences between the material and the non-material. Those who make
no obeisance to property rights are ignoring millenia of history and
experience at their peril.
  It would be nice to see some rational discussion of these fundamental
differences, the implications of choosing one particular course of
action over another, and less outright religion.

Ross W. Wetmore                 | rwwetmore@water.NetNorth
University of Waterloo          | rwwetmore@math.Uwaterloo.ca

singer@XN.LL.MIT.EDU (Matthew R. Singer) (05/19/88)

In article <2767@tekig5.TEK.COM>, wayneck@tekig5.TEK.COM (Wayne Knapp) writes:

>    You are really off base.  The programmer often gets less than 15% of the
> wholesale cost of the software.  A decent package will cost around $10 to
> produce and normally one sells software packages to distributors for 40% of
> the list price. They move the software out to store and by mail order at around
> 55% to 70% of list.  Store resell it at around 80% to 100% of list price.  You
> can save a lot by buying mail order.
>
>     Now lets say the author gets a good contract how much dose he make?
>
>       List price     Wholesale price      -minus cost    author gets
>     -------------------------------------------------------------------
>        $50                $20                 $10            $1.50
>       $100                $40                 $30            $4.50
>       $250               $100                 $90           $13.50
>
> So if the author has put over a year in his work (often much more) he needs
> to set the price at a level where he can make good money for the year.  It is
> simply supply and demand.  He isn't a profiteer.  He is trying to survive.
  .
  .
  .

>    So I think that anyone who copies a program without paying should have to
> pay the author 100 times what he would normally make for the sell and also
> have his floppy cut off.  Priates are the true PROFITEERS - why do you think
> they are called priates!
>
>                                       Wayne Knapp

Minor correction:

Software distributors get a 60% discount. Dealers get 40%.

toma@tekgvs.TEK.COM (Tom Almy) (05/19/88)

In article <4780@teddy.UUCP> jpn@teddy.UUCP (John P. Nelson) writes:
>>people whom actually NEED a piece of software usually end up buying
>>it.  if for nothing else than to rag on the company who wrote it
>>when something goes wrong ;-)
>
>Gee, I don't know.  This isn't ALWAYS true.  A simple counterexample:
>MSDOS.  I'll bet that there are a LOT of pirate copies of this
>operating system out there.  And you NEED it, or your computer system
>won't run.

No you don't NEED MSDOS to run your computer.  The orignal IBM/PC could be
started in Basic (no DOS at all).  IBM orignally sold three DOSes, MSDOS,
CP/M 86, and UCSD P-System.  These are still available as well as some others
multitasking DOSes (OS/2, Pick, PC/MOS, UNIX, many others) and programming
enviroments (some Forths come to mind).  You may not be able to run the
software you want, but you can run the computer!

Tom  Almy
A user of MSDOS and other operating systems
toma@tekgvs.tek.com

egranthm@jackson.UUCP (Ewan Grantham) (05/19/88)

In article <362@cf-cm.UUCP>, mch@cf-cm.UUCP writes:

>    In other words, the s/w writers are * PROFITEERING *.
>
>    This seems to me to be a crushing indictment of s/w writers, but it is the
> most common reason for s/w copying that I have heard of. In most cases,
> I would
> agree with it.
>
>    What does everyone else think ?
>
> --
> Martin C. Howe, University College Cardiff

Let me see if I understand your reasoning, because most people who copy
software say they are doing it because it costs too much, then software
writers must be profiteering?

First, I think most of us are aware that the profits for items such as
Lotus 1-2-3, DBase, etc. are going to publishing houses, not the
writers themselves. Even so, I think that the reason given, and the
actual reason are a lot farther apart.

My guess at the real reason - I need what this piece of software can
do, and since I don't HAVE to pay for it, I won't.

In other words, if I can get the software without getting in trouble,
then I'm going to take it.

I am not advocating copy-protection as a solution, because it isn't.
As we are all aware, there is now way to keep something that was
put on disk from being copied to another disk.

What is the solution? I'm not sure. If you look at robbery in
general, you'll see that fines, jail sentances, etc. have not
stopped it, simply they have made the price of non-compliance
high enough to keep the majority of us from doing it. How you
could do this with software, and still leave the software in an
easily usable state is beyond me. Suggestions anyone?

Ewan Grantham
(uunet!nuchat!jackson!egranthm)

My bosses aren't responsible for me, and vice-versa.

bill@proxftl.UUCP (T. William Wells) (05/22/88)

In article <160@execu.EXECU>, dewey@execu.EXECU (dewey henize) writes:

> Do you really think you are going to convince each other on this?
>
> There are those that are going to steal every piece of software they think
> they might want.  It's their 'right', can't you see that?  Just because someone
> else made it and debugged it and packaged it doesn't matter.
>
> So save yourself some problems.  You CAN NOT convince someone who steals
> copyrighted programs that they shouldn't - the only thing you can occasionally
> convince him/her of is that they might get caught.  And you know how likely
> that will be....

Agreed.  A software pirate is a thief, no matter what
justifications he may give, and in spite of our calling him a
`software pirate'.  Arguing with him will not change his
feelings.

Unfortunately, today, received morality has degenerated to a kind
of subjectivism (for the uninitiated, this means approximately
that "if I feel it is good then it is") that makes the arguments
that "software pirates" use seem plausible.

Arguments like this let others know that there ARE people out
there who reject (at least some) of today's junk morality and
that there are alternates to "doing it because I feel like it".

On the other hand, the arguments against "software pirates" are
also tainted by this same subjectivism so maybe these discussions
do not help.  Sigh!

At this point, anything further I might say would be an actual
discussion of morality (or a flame against subjectivism); that
does not belong in this newsgroup.

rwwetmore@watmath.waterloo.edu (Ross Wetmore) (05/23/88)

In article <203@proxftl.UUCP> bill@proxftl.UUCP (T. William Wells) writes:
>In article <160@execu.EXECU>, dewey@execu.EXECU (dewey henize) writes:
>>
>> Do you really think you are going to convince each other on this?
>
>Unfortunately, today, received morality has degenerated to a kind
>of subjectivism (for the uninitiated, this means approximately
>that "if I feel it is good then it is") that makes the arguments
>that "software pirates" use seem plausible.
  A perceptive insight. Now ask yourself why there are only ten commandments
in the Bible, and not ten thousand regulations. If you get through this, ask
how, why and by who these came about.

>Arguments like this let others know that there ARE people out
>there who reject (at least some) of today's junk morality and
>that there are alternates to "doing it because I feel like it".
  Unfortunately few people reach the necessary level of understanding and
maturity to identify and extract the essence of a rational argument or
distill it into a moral slogan that captures the universality of the idea.
Belief as opposed to understanding is a powerful enforcement tool, but not
a good foundation on which to build. Emotional bases seldom are.

  It is too bad that humans are more easily led by emotions than rational
thought, and that power blocs in government, the media and elsewhere are
too ready to exploit this for short term goals. Is it any wonder that
software pirates will follow this example to justify their goals, or large
corporations will use similar tactics to stifle competitors or sell their
product. Remember the trade war with Japan over memory chips?

  Leadership has got to come from the top. Support has got to come from the
bottom.

bill@proxftl.UUCP (T. William Wells) (05/28/88)

In article <18963@watmath.waterloo.edu>, rwwetmore@watmath.waterloo.edu (Ross Wetmore) writes:
> >Our morality says that taking something from someone, INCLUDING IDEAS,
> >is a form of theft unless compensation is provided.
>   Morality == religion -> breeds all kinds of myopic fanatics. Moral
> justification is only applicable to those who belong to your particular
> sect, and should be confined to discussions between its members.
>   Besides this statement is obviously wrong :-)

Ah...  it is not possible to abstract legal rights from their
moral foundation.  Eventually, in order to justify property
rights of any kind you must do so by reference to some morality.

While one CAN look at property rights from the aspect of how one
group forced others to respect their property rights, this
totally ignores WHY it is that they considered those property
rights as important.  And it ignores the causes for why we have
come to accept the idea of property rights.

Property rights, however defined, must rest on the idea of
something of value to someone.  And right there you have run into
a question of morality.

In article <203@proxftl.UUCP>, bill@proxftl.UUCP (T. William Wells) writes:
> In article <160@execu.EXECU>, dewey@execu.EXECU (dewey henize) writes:
>> You CAN NOT convince someone who steals copyrighted programs that
>> they shouldn't

This is not always true; some (most?) software copiers are perfectly
well aware that they shouldn't be.

> Agreed.  A software pirate is a thief, no matter what justifications
> he may give, and in spite of our calling him a `software pirate'.
> Arguing with him will not change his feelings.

Legally, yes: current law agrees with this point of view.  But a
software pirate is a thief only if you recognize the notion of
intellectual property, and I've found that not everyone does.

(I think I have some idea where I stand, but I do not argue on either
side on the net, so I'll refrain from stating which view I hold.)

					der Mouse

			uucp: mouse@mcgill-vision.uucp
			arpa: mouse@larry.mcrcim.mcgill.edu

cramer@optilink.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) (06/01/88)

In article <230@proxftl.UUCP>, bill@proxftl.UUCP (T. William Wells) writes:
> In article <18963@watmath.waterloo.edu>, rwwetmore@watmath.waterloo.edu (Ross Wetmore) writes:
> > >Our morality says that taking something from someone, INCLUDING IDEAS,
> > >is a form of theft unless compensation is provided.
> >   Morality == religion -> breeds all kinds of myopic fanatics. Moral
> > justification is only applicable to those who belong to your particular
> > sect, and should be confined to discussions between its members.
> >   Besides this statement is obviously wrong :-)
>
> Ah...  it is not possible to abstract legal rights from their
> moral foundation.  Eventually, in order to justify property
> rights of any kind you must do so by reference to some morality.
>
> Property rights, however defined, must rest on the idea of
> something of value to someone.  And right there you have run into
> a question of morality.

What I find most amusing is that leftists frequently argue against property
rights, and indeed, all notions of human rights because they dispute the
idea of absolute morality -- but that doesn't seem to stop them from
appealing to the idea of "right" when trying to justify whatever wealth
redistribution scheme they are peddling at the moment.

Because of the differences of opinion of what constitutes right and wrong,
our society's disagreements about human rights finally boil down to, "Are
you strong enough to force your will on me or not?"  Power comes from the
barrel of a gun -- and that's the only thing that matters when the basic
assumptions about human rights are as far apart as they are between the
left and right in our country.

Clayton E. Cramer

bill@proxftl.UUCP (T. William Wells) (06/15/88)

In article <187@optilink.UUCP>, cramer@optilink.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) writes:
} Because of the differences of opinion of what constitutes right and wrong,
} our society's disagreements about human rights finally boil down to, "Are
} you strong enough to force your will on me or not?"  Power comes from the
} barrel of a gun -- and that's the only thing that matters when the basic
} assumptions about human rights are as far apart as they are between the
} left and right in our country.

Excuse me, but you have made a mistake.  While it is true that
the final resolution of any difference of opinion is enforced by
the state, the opinion which is enforced by the state is NOT
determined by who has the bigger stick.  Rather, a complicated
process comprised of reasons, demagoguery, brute force, and all
the other elements of our political system results in this
determination.  Not all of these can be reduced to "Power ...
from the barrel of a gun."

Followups to talk.politics.misc, please.