[comp.misc] advise on personal unix system

dana@gmu90x.UUCP (J Dana Eckart) (06/15/88)

Like a great many people I am in search of the "perfect" system.  More
to the point, I want to find a Unix* machine for not much money.  I would
like to think that "not much money" could be translated into about $3000
(or even less :-)), but I have my doubts.

Two lines of attack of which I am aware are:

	(1) get the more expensive Unix products (~ $1500 for the whole
	    thing) that work on a wide variety of hardware, or
	(2) get a cheaper Unix (Bell Technologies sells one for ~ $400)
	    that runs on more restricted hardware (Bell sells a version
	    of the required 80386 hardware for ~$6000, minus hard disk).

Since the driving force is to have Unix, I thought I would ask the net
the current state of affairs.  Am I asking for too much (a sick feeling
in the pit of my stomach suggests that I am ... sigh)?  Please mail me
your suggestions, pieces of wisdom and confirmations of my worst fears.

[NOTE: I have purposely left other "system" requirements vague, so as
       not to further restrict suggestions.]

Thanks in advance.

*Unix is a registered trademark of AT&T Bell Laboratories.

J Dana Eckart
	UUCP:	...!(gatech | pyrdc)!gmu90x!dana
	ARPA:   dana@gmu90x.gmu.edu
	SNAIL:	P.O. Box 236/Fairfax, VA  22030-0236

cck@deneb.ucdavis.edu (Earl H. Kinmonth) (06/16/88)

In article <1150@gmu90x.UUCP> dana@gmu90x.UUCP (J Dana Eckart) writes:
>to the point, I want to find a Unix* machine for not much money.  I would
>like to think that "not much money" could be translated into about $3000

SCO Xenix on an ATT 63** is a reasonable approximation of UNIX,
perhaps even better than the real thing, since XENIX has a cross
compiler for MSDOS.  Including the whole OS, you could come in
under three grand.

davidsen@steinmetz.ge.com (William E. Davidsen Jr) (06/16/88)

In article <1150@gmu90x.UUCP> dana@gmu90x.UUCP (J Dana Eckart) writes:
| Like a great many people I am in search of the "perfect" system.  More
| to the point, I want to find a Unix* machine for not much money.  I would

Don't buy a 286 machine. Although I have used one for years, there are
too many problems caused by (a) segmented archetecture and (b) people
assuming that int{same as}ptr.

I have a 386 at home, running Xenix. I tested the SVR3 ports from mport
and INteractive systems, and decided that they were not appropriate for
me, since I need reliability. Their preponents claim that's all fixed
now. I'm told that the BellTech port has no "enhancements" and works
reliably.

If you want real bottom bucks, get a unix-pc, which gives you a linear
address space, sysV+BSD utils, and virtual memory. Not fast but solid. A
2MB mem, 40MB disk version is ~$1500 + about $500 for software. Includes
a builtin 1200 baud modem.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)

ken@gatech.edu (Ken Seefried III) (06/16/88)

In article <1150@gmu90x.UUCP> dana@gmu90x.UUCP (J Dana Eckart) writes:
>Like a great many people I am in search of the "perfect" system.  More
>to the point, I want to find a Unix* machine for not much money.  I would
>like to think that "not much money" could be translated into about $3000
>(or even less :-)), but I have my doubts.

$3000 dollars, eh?

I looked into every 286 and 386 system availible, and ever versiion of Unix
for them, and basicly came to the conclusion that they were inadiquate.
You can however put together a 286 or 386 system for $3k.

However, if you are used to any kind of large unix sysem, or a BSD system,
you will hate the PC solution.  The 286 is a nightmare.  All the Unix-es are
pretty straight system V.2 (286) or V.3 (386).

What might you ask, can be done them...

The solution that i found was the Sun 2/120.  This is the predicessor to the
Sun 3 & 4 that many sites have.  The basic configuration for the 2/120 is:

	pedistal mount 9 slot multibus I cardcage
	68010 main processor
	2MB memory
	60MB tape
	43 or 70 MB hard disk
	ethernet
	19" 1280x1024 mono screen

Best of all, it will run almost everything a Sun 3 runs (must be compiled
on Sun 2).  Sun has also been smart enough that the latest versions of
SunOS will run on the 2.  SunOS, BTW, is BSD 4.2 + enhacements.

Since there is a vigorous aftermarket for Sun 2 stuff, you should be able to
get the base system for about $2500, tops.  Yesterday morning, i was quoted
$4650 for:

	Sun 2/120
	4MB RAM
	60MB tape
	280MB HD

There are several companies selling these systems, and you can shop around
(and haggel) for the best price...

drop me a line if youre interested...

	ken seefried iii	...!{akgua, allegra, amd, harpo, hplabs,
	ken@gatech.edu		inhp4, masscomp, rlgvax, sb1, uf-cgrl,
	ccastks@gitvm1.bitnet	unmvax, ut-ngp, ut-sally}!gatech!ken

	soon to be open: ...!gatech!spooge!ken (finally ;'})

erict@flatline.UUCP (j eric townsend) (06/16/88)

In article <1150@gmu90x.UUCP>, dana@gmu90x.UUCP (J Dana Eckart) writes:
> Like a great many people I am in search of the "perfect" system.  More
> to the point, I want to find a Unix* machine for not much money.  I would
> like to think that "not much money" could be translated into about $3000
> (or even less :-)), but I have my doubts.

I suggest an AT&T UNIX-PC running the latest release of UNIX (3.51a?)
that is out.

The post-fire-sale prices are really good.  Used is amazingly better.
(I got a slightly used 3b1 (67Mb HD, 2Mb RAM) for about $1000.)

A post on unix-pc.general would get you a good idea of the relative
merits and problems with unix pc's from a wide range of people.
--
Skate UNIX or go home, boogie boy...
Spelling errors are directly related to how little time I have...

rmb384@leah.Albany.Edu (Robert M. Bownes III) (06/29/88)

In article <1150@gmu90x.UUCP>, dana@gmu90x.UUCP (J Dana Eckart) writes:
> Like a great many people I am in search of the "perfect" system.  More
> to the point, I want to find a Unix* machine for not much money.  I would
> like to think that "not much money" could be translated into about $3000
> (or even less :-)), but I have my doubts.

	Used Sun 2's can be had for about 3K. I'm trying to accomplish
this at the moment by selling of my Xenix System. They are usually only
slightly diskfull for that cost however.

Bob
--
Bob Bownes, Aka Keptin Comrade Dr Bobwrench III	|  If I didn't say it, It
bownesrm@beowulf.uucp  (518)-482-8798		|  must be true.

isaac@gethen.UUCP (Isaac Rabinovitch) (07/01/88)

In article <1150@gmu90x.UUCP>, dana@gmu90x.UUCP (J Dana Eckart) writes:
> Like a great many people I am in search of the "perfect" system.  More
> to the point, I want to find a Unix* machine for not much money.  I would
> like to think that "not much money" could be translated into about $3000
> (or even less :-)), but I have my doubts.

It probably helps to live in close proximity to failed attempts to
manufacture Unix-oriented micros.  Often (including this very Thursday)
I see ads (in the San Jose Mercury-News) for used Convergent MiniFrames
(manufactured in San Jose) right in your price range.  Perhaps some have
drifted into your area.  You should also look in Unix World and other
magazines with Unix in the title:  they often have ads for mail order
houses (caveat emptor) selling orphan machines.