[comp.misc] Troff music printing

tpo@dde.uucp (Thomas P.S. Olesen) (07/14/88)

Hello world

I have heard of a troff macro package for music printing.
Is there any body, who know any thing about it.

What is it called ?
Is it public domain ?
If yes , where can I get it ?

Please E-mail.

/Thomas
Thomas P.S. Olesen                               Dansk Data Elektronik A/S
E-mail: ..!seismo!mcvax!dkuug!dde!tpo            System Software Department
        or       tpo@dde.dk

ramsey@cs.purdue.EDU (Ed Ramsey) (07/29/88)

From article <463@Aragorn.dde.uucp>, by tpo@dde.uucp (Thomas P.S. Olesen):
> I have heard of a troff macro package for music printing.
> Is there any body, who know any thing about it.
> Please E-mail.

Please Post!

--
-Ed Ramsey    Purdue University Computer Science Department
              ramsey@cs.purdue.edu        ...!purdue!ramsey

igb@cs.bham.ac.uk (Ian G Batten <BattenIG>) (08/01/88)

In article <4573@medusa.cs.purdue.edu> ramsey@cs.purdue.EDU (Ed Ramsey) writes:
> From article <463@Aragorn.dde.uucp>, by tpo@dde.uucp (Thomas P.S. Olesen):
> > I have heard of a troff macro package for music printing.
> > Is there any body, who know any thing about it.
> > Please E-mail.
>
> Please Post!
>
> --
> -Ed Ramsey    Purdue University Computer Science Department
>               ramsey@cs.purdue.edu        ...!purdue!ramsey

There was a paper presented by Eric Foxley of Nottingham University at a
Uk UUG meeting last July on a package he wrote to do this.  But I recall
it had some nasty licensing problems --- Adobe manuscript fonts or
something?  I don't have the proceedings to hand to get his e-mail
address, but I think it was ef@cs.nott.ac.uk.  Mail
postmaster@cs.nott.ac.uk and ask him.

--
ian

INTERNET: BattenIG%cs.bham.ac.uk@cunyvm.cuny.edu  JANET: BattenIG@uk.ac.bham.cs
BITNET: BattenIG%cs.bham.ac.uk@ukacrl.bitnet    UUCP: ...!mcvax!bhamcs!BattenIG

jpo@cs.nott.ac.uk (Julian Onions) (08/02/88)

In article <360@james.cs.bham.ac.uk> igb@cs.bham.ac.uk (Ian G Batten <BattenIG>) writes:
>In article <4573@medusa.cs.purdue.edu> ramsey@cs.purdue.EDU (Ed Ramsey) writes:
>> From article <463@Aragorn.dde.uucp>, by tpo@dde.uucp (Thomas P.S. Olesen):
>> > I have heard of a troff macro package for music printing.
>
>There was a paper presented by Eric Foxley of Nottingham University at a
>Uk UUG meeting last July on a package he wrote to do this.

Yes, this is correct. Eric wrote such a program and although I haven't
checked recently I believe that it is still a pic preprocessor. The
results, to my untrained eye, are pretty good - miles better than hand
scribbled manuscript anyway. It runs in several modes, the best output
being if you use a music font such as Adobe's Sonata. Alternatively, I
believe it still has the means to generate it's own characters in some
fashion. Anyway, I believe the software is without restrictions and has
been distributed to a number of people.

Eric is on holiday at present, but should be back in a week or two, if
you want futher details I should mail him (ef@cs.nott.ac.uk). I don't
believe he reads much news if any so mail is far better.

Julian.
--
Julian Onions

anw@nott-cs.UUCP (08/03/88)

In article <360@james.cs.bham.ac.uk> igb@cs.bham.ac.uk (Ian G Batten <BattenIG>) writes:
>In article <4573@medusa.cs.purdue.edu> ramsey@cs.purdue.EDU (Ed Ramsey) writes:
>> From article <463@Aragorn.dde.uucp>, by tpo@dde.uucp (Thomas P.S. Olesen):
>> > [ request for troff macro package for music printing ]
>
> [ Eric Foxley's package ]

     a) Eric is out of town for a few weeks.
     b) The package is Yet Another *roff Pre-processor.
     c) *If* you want top-quality laserwritten stuff, it uses Adobe's
	"Sonata" font, but it was working quite happily before we had
	this, eg to a dot-matrix printer.
     d) I have documentation, but (of course) it's useless in source form
	without the package itself.  [How do you print the examples to see
	what they're examples of?]
     e) *I'm* reasonably impressed by its output;  beams, etc., are done
	in a modestly artistic way.  Compares well with mass-printed music;
	not a patch on the hand-printed stuff of the mid 19th century [but
	I'm biassed].
     f) Any further details had better come from Eric.

> [ EF's e-mail address ]  Mail postmaster@cs.nott.ac.uk and ask him.

	Don't bother:  ef@maths.nott.ac.uk and ef@cs.nott.ac.uk should both
work.  He is one in the morning, the other in the afternoon.  Don't expect
any reply until September!

--
Andy Walker, Maths Dept., Nott'm Univ., UK.
anw@maths.nott.ac.uk