[comp.misc] byte loses another subscriber

scwilk@sdrc.UUCP (Ken_Wilkinson) (08/06/88)

      Hello Net,  a Fellow worker has sent the folowing
letter at about the same time that Leo Schwab did, and
with his permission, I am posting...any comments please
post, he does not get news (poor guy).

Editor,

I recently received your August 1988 issue. I will not be
renewing my subscription. Despite the special all-macintosh
supplement the rest of the cover says what byte has become, a PC
Week clone. There are reviews of IBM-pc clones and IBM-pc
software. BYTE's subtitle "The Small Systems Journal" is gone. As
little as two years ago BYTE still offered a fairly balanced
coverage of all small computer systems. As an example, the column
"Best of BIX" featured IBM-pc, Apple MacIntosh, Atari St and
Commodore Amiga (my machine). This column is defunct. Instead we
are fed the likes of Jerry Pournelle's Computing at Chaos Manor.
While Mr. Pournelle's column is entertaining (who else could
devote an article about how to install a modem without reading
the manual), I don't believe it has a place in a serious journal
(perhaps an April fools issue). Mr. Pournelle's article in the
special all-macintosh supplement is about furniture. Do you
really want to encourage your readers to try to install hardware
and software without reading the manual? Do most readers care
about furniture?

I am looking for a journal with regular, monthly, good techical
articles about the Commodore Amiga, its hardware and software. Do
you know of any?

Frank Glandorf

jbn@glacier.STANFORD.EDU (John B. Nagle) (08/07/88)

In article <342@sdrc.UUCP> scwilk@sdrc.UUCP (Ken_Wilkinson) writes:
>I am looking for a journal with regular, monthly, good techical
>articles about the Commodore Amiga, its hardware and software. Do
>you know of any?

	There are at least two, Amiga World and Robo City News.

        Why are Amiga nuts such fanatics?  Forget that, I don't want to
deluged with junk mail.

				John Nagle

In article <17619@glacier.STANFORD.EDU> jbn@glacier.UUCP (John B. Nagle) writes:
>In article <342@sdrc.UUCP> scwilk@sdrc.UUCP (Ken_Wilkinson) writes:
>>I am looking for a journal with regular, monthly, good techical
>>articles about the Commodore Amiga, its hardware and software. Do
>>you know of any?
>
>	There are at least two, Amiga World and Robo City News.

	Of all the Amiga-specific magazines around, Amiga World (whirled) is
the worst (which is not to say that it's *bad*).  Robo City News is pretty
good, Amazing Computing is okay, Amiga Sentry isn't bad, INFO does a decent
job, Amiga Transactor is excellent.  Also of interest are the disk-based and
-supplemented mags, such as AX Magazine.

	If you have further such questions, you'll get much better responses
in comp.sys.amiga, where this message has been redirected.

>        Why are Amiga nuts such fanatics?  [ ... ]

	Why are LISP nuts such fanatics?  Why are Berkeley UNIX nuts so
adamantly opposed to SysV?

	And why is Amiga fanatacism such a bad thing?  When was the last
time you ever saw such enormous grass-roots support for a machine?  The
Apple-][?  How long ago was that?  And why am I asking so many rhetorical
questions?  Could it be I'm going whacko?

Leo L. Schwab -- The Guy in The Cape	INET: well!ewhac@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU
 \_ -_		Recumbent Bikes:	UUCP: pacbell > !{well,unicom}!ewhac