[comp.misc] BYTE Fesses up!

daveh@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Haynie) (08/24/88)

The latest BYTE (a 30 minute's read) reports in their OS/2 column that MS-DOS
really isn't an operating system, but in fact just a program loader.  Imagine
that.  How's that for up-to-date, on the spot reporting.  Has it really taken
them 6 years to figure this out, or is it just that now there's something more
expensive available to replace MS-DOS?
--
Dave Haynie  "The 32 Bit Guy"     Commodore-Amiga  "The Crew That Never Rests"
   {ihnp4|uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!daveh      PLINK: D-DAVE H     BIX: hazy

james@bigtex.uucp (James Van Artsdalen) (08/24/88)

In article <4547@cbmvax.UUCP>, daveh@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Haynie) wrote:

> The latest BYTE (a 30 minute's read) reports in their OS/2 column that MS-DOS
> really isn't an operating system, but in fact just a program loader.  [...]
> now there's something more expensive available to replace MS-DOS?

OS/2 can't replace Mess-DOS!  Where will the database guys do their
work?  Last I heard, OS/2 only supported file systems less than 32meg
(because it used the Mess-DOS 3.x file system), whereas Mess-DOS v4.0
can handle your average 40meg drive now. :-)
--
James R. Van Artsdalen    ...!uunet!utastro!bigtex!james     "Live Free or Die"
Home: 512-346-2444 Work: 328-0282; 110 Wild Basin Rd. Ste #230, Austin TX 78746