[comp.misc] ELECTRONICS, R.I.P.

gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu (08/23/88)

So does anyone know the REAL reason why ELECTRONICS was bagged?  Was
it a case of "buy out the competition and shut it down" (the buyer
owns Electronic Design)?  Or did the staff get pissed off and take a
hike?  Or did the staff just get absorbed by a bunch of other
magazines?  Why buy a magazine to shut it down?

toma@tekgvs.GVS.TEK.COM (Tom Almy) (08/24/88)

In article <79700012@p.cs.uiuc.edu> gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

>So does anyone know the REAL reason why ELECTRONICS was bagged?
[...]
>Why buy a magazine to shut it down?

To get its subscriber list, perhaps.

My personal experience with Electronics is I subscribed to it in the late
60's and early 70's but dropped it by mid 70's because, while it was the
best, they had no free subscriptions (at that time), and several freebees
combined were as good (perhaps better).  Particularly good then and now
are Electronic Design and EE Times (esp. for rumors!).  A good bet now
is to join the IEEE Computer Society and get Computer and Micro magazines.
Not too likely they will be reviewing 10 PC/AT clones! (I hope!)

Tom Almy
toma@tekgvs.tek.com
Standard Disclaimers Apply

friedl@vsi.UUCP (Stephen J. Friedl) (08/25/88)

In article <79700012@p.cs.uiuc.edu>, gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu writes:
> So does anyone know the REAL reason why ELECTRONICS was bagged?  Was
> it a case of "buy out the competition and shut it down" (the buyer
> owns Electronic Design)?  Or did the staff get pissed off and take a
> hike?  Or did the staff just get absorbed by a bunch of other
> magazines?  Why buy a magazine to shut it down?

Could be one of the above reasons, could be that the magazine
wasn't making money, could be others.  For what it's worth, the
editor of the former _Electronics_, Robert Henkel has moved onto
_EE Times_ as editorial director.  It is curious that the
editorial that welcomed Robert to the mag never mentioned the
demise of _Electronics_.

--
Steve Friedl    V-Systems, Inc.  +1 714 545 6442    3B2-kind-of-guy
friedl@vsi.com     {backbones}!vsi.com!friedl    attmail!vsi!friedl

haynes@ucscc.UCSC.EDU (99700000) (08/25/88)

In article <3860@tekgvs.GVS.TEK.COM> toma@tekgvs.GVS.TEK.COM (Tom Almy) writes:

>My personal experience with Electronics is I subscribed to it in the late
>60's and early 70's but dropped it by mid 70's because, while it was the
>best, they had no free subscriptions (at that time), and several freebees
>combined were as good (perhaps better).

Me too - and when I really liked Electronics was back in the 50s, and reading
old issues from even earlier.  The main reason I lost interest in it
in the 70s was that it changed from a solid technical magazine to one
mostly concerned with the business side of the industry.  I don't
remember all the chronology, but seems to me it started downhill when
McGraw-Hill acquired it, or was it when RCA acquired McGraw-Hill?

> Particularly good then and now
>are Electronic Design and EE Times (esp. for rumors!).  A good bet now
>is to join the IEEE Computer Society and get Computer and Micro magazines.
>Not too likely they will be reviewing 10 PC/AT clones! (I hope!)

I agree wholeheartedly.  The Computer Society isn't free, it's not even
cheap, but the editors (unpaid volunteers) work really hard to keep
the members on top of where the technology is going, not merely where
it is today; and to keep the facts separate from the sales promotion.

--->Non-Disclaimer: I'm one of those editors, and I don't work very
hard at all, and in my column (Open Channel) "Any clod can have
the facts, but having opinions is an ART."

haynes@ucscc.ucsc.edu
haynes@ucscc.bitnet
..ucbvax!ucscc!haynes

cjl@ecsvax.uncecs.edu (Charles Lord) (08/26/88)

In article <3860@tekgvs.GVS.TEK.COM>, toma@tekgvs.GVS.TEK.COM (Tom Almy) writes:
... a good bet now
> is to join the IEEE Computer Society and get Computer and Micro magazines.
> Not too likely they will be reviewing 10 PC/AT clones! (I hope!)

In Aug COMPUTER there are five articles/reviews in a row regarding '386
AT-type machines, PC family stuff.  You cannot escape it.

Shoot, even Mini-Micro Systems (used to be 90% DEC) is IBM ga-ga.
--
Charles Lord           ..!decvax!mcnc!ecsvax!cjl    Usenet
Cary, NC               cjl@ecsvax.uncecs.edu        Bitnet