[comp.misc] LINC

ralphw@ius3.ius.cs.cmu.edu (Ralph Hyre) (08/09/88)

In article <509@aiva.ed.ac.uk> ken@uk.ac.ed.aiva (Ken Johnson,E32 SB x212E) writes:
>In article <677@buengc.BU.EDU> bph@buengc.UUCP (Blair P. Houghton) writes
>about `Mythical microprocessors'.
>
>The first computer I ever used, in about 1970, was called the `Linc
>Eight', a machine the size of a wardrobe with 4K of memory in real
>ferrite core store and inch-wide Dec-tape.
Alan Kay speaks fondly of the Linc series processors in the history of
personal computing, but I don't recall him referring to the tape thing as
Dec-tape, although he mentioned that it was similar.  As I recall,
the early LINCS were considered personal computers because the owner
could see over top of them when placed on a desk.
(I saw the 'Doing with Images makes Symbols' tape today.)

I believe 2500 were made, and many are still operating today, since they are
used to support neurobiology research, and neurons haven't speeded up that
much in 20 years.

Disclaimer: I may be confusing this with some other machine, but I recall
a TX-2 used for Sutherland's Sketchpad program, then a LINC, then this
desktop monster with a mouse, and so on.

--
					- Ralph W. Hyre, Jr.

Internet: ralphw@ius2.cs.cmu.edu    Phone:(412)268-{2847,3275} CMU-{BUGS,DARK}
Amateur Packet Radio: N3FGW@W2XO, or c/o W3VC, CMU Radio Club, Pittsburgh, PA

wgtr@cgchd4.uucp (Graham Tritt) (09/02/88)

There are some old hands around, I see ... can anyone give me comments on the
lesser-known machines of the PDP series from DEC?  I understand that almost
every number from 1 to 20 was used for some machine at some time.

If there are individual reports, eventually I'll get around to summarizing
them together.

If I can see further, it's because I stand on the shoulders of others ...
                                                        __________
    Graham D. Tritt                                     |   ______|__
    P.O. Box 302, 3000 Berne 25, Switzerland            |  |    _    |
                                                        |  |  _| |_  |
Telephone:  +41 31 82 34 79     +41 61 32 61 65         |  | |_ + _| |
Uucp:   wgtr@cgch.uucp  uunet!mcvax!cernvax!cgch!wgtr   |__|   |_|   |
                                                           |_________|

cosell@bbn.com (Bernie Cosell) (09/02/88)

Sorry to bother you all with this, gang, but the my problem should be
obvious.   /bernie\

Date:     Fri, 2 Sep 88 11:33:30 EDT
From:     WILMA Mail System (MMDF) <mmdf@WILMA>
Sender:   bboards@WILMA
Subject:  Failed mail  (msg.aa17096)
To:       cosell@WILMA.BBN.COM

    Your message could not be delivered to
'@bbn.com:wgtr@cgchd4.uucp (host: bbn.com) (queue: smtp)' for the following
reason:  ' (BHST) Unknown host/domain name in "@bbn.com:wgtr@cgchd4.uucp"'

    Your message follows:

To: wgtr@cgchd4.UUCP
Subject: Re: LINC
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Fri, 02 Sep 88 11:32:03 -0400
From: cosell@wilma

I'm not sure what you already know, or quite what it is you want to learn,
but...

PDP-1   the first of DEC's "family".  The scion of the long an honorable
	"18 bit" computers.

The next computer in this line was the PDP-4: it wasn't really a descendent
of the -1: the pdp1 was a _quite_ limited architecture (and in particular,
they hadn't "invented" index registers yet, and so the -1 became "old" pretty
quick!).  The pdp-4 spawned the pdp-7 and pdp-9, all 18-bit'ers.

As a separate thread, DEC built what was probably the first asynchronous
computer: the PDP-6.  The "flow chart" for figuring out how long an
instruction took to execute spread across two pages in the manual (two pages
of pretty small bubbles!).  The pdp-6 grew into the pdp-10 and later
decsystem20.  All 36-bit word machines (still clinging to six-bit bytes,
spawned by the original FIODEC codes used by the Soroban
auotmatic-typewriters used as consoles.

There is the pdp-8 line, I _think_ the next entry in that was the pdp-15.

And there is the (in)famous pdp-11.

As I survey the list, I see that 2,3,5 are missing among the low ones: I
vaugely recall hearing about a pdp5, but I think that there never were 2's or
3's.  I lost track (and interest) when the pdp11 appeared, so I have no clue
about 12, 13,.... (although I'm _sure_ no marketing person would let them try
to sell a "pdp13"! :-).

Try checking out "Computer Engineering, A DEC view of hardware systems
design" by Bell, Mudge & McNamara (digital press...surprise! :-))

   __
  /  )                              Bernie Cosell
 /--<  _  __  __   o _              BBN Sys & Tech, Cambridge, MA 02238
/___/_(<_/ (_/) )_(_(<_             cosell@bbn.com

rodd@dasys1.UUCP (Rod Dorman) (09/06/88)

In article <29289@bbn.COM> cosell@BBN.COM (Bernie Cosell) writes:
>There is the pdp-8 line, I _think_ the next entry in that was the pdp-15.
> ... vaugely recall hearing about a pdp5,
The PDP-5 was the predecessor of the PDP-8.  The PDP-15 was the successor
to the PDP-9.  The PDP-12 was the successor to the LINK-8.

					-- Rod --

Rod Dorman				{sun!hoptoad,cmcl2!phri}!dasys1!rodd
Big Electric Cat Public Unix
	"The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't"