[comp.misc] Allen Holub on DDJ & C-Chest

wfp@dasys1.UUCP (William Phillips) (09/11/88)

In article <636@muffin.cme-durer.ARPA> libes@cme-durer.arpa (Don Libes) writes:
>In article <22873@amdcad.AMD.COM> indra@amdcad.AMD.COM (Indra Singhal) writes:
>>I did not think Mr Holub got a fair shake from DDJ so I offered to post
>> his final column for him.
>C'mon.  This is not fair to give Holub a platform without giving DDJ a
>chance.
>I have no comment on the direction of DDJ.  I have never subscribed to
>it.  I've no connections with anyone at DDJ or Holub.
      ^^^^ ^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^ ^^^^^^ ^^ ^^^

>Don Libes          cme-durer.arpa      ...!uunet!cme-durer!libes

Well, now.  Unless I'm very much mistaken (in which case I offer my sincere
apologies and retract this statement), this is the same Don Libes who writes
an excellent regular column called "The C Forum" in _Micro/Systems Journal_
(which is one of the few remaining decent small computer tech magazines).
Mr Libes (whose dad is the Founder and Editor of _MSJ_) is listed in the
masthead as one of two technical editors .  What I find distressing here
is the fact (not mentioned by Mr Libes) that there is clearly a connection
between him and _DDJ_, specifically that _DDJ_ and _MSJ_ are both publications
of M&T Publishing Inc., and, while their editorial departments are (I think
-- I _hope_) totally separate, a quick perusal of the mastheads of the two
journals reveals that they share Production, Circulation and Administration
departments, though, curiously, not Advertising.

I have absolutely nothing against Mr Libes, who has been an active contributor
to the microcomputing community at least since he was in his early teens, but
I do like to keep facts straight and I feel his disclaimer is disingenuous.

--
William Phillips                 {allegra,philabs,cmcl2}!phri\
Big Electric Cat Public Unix           {bellcore,cmcl2}!cucard!dasys1!wfp

wfp@dasys1.UUCP (William Phillips) (09/11/88)

I wonder if anyone remebers who actually _owns_ _DDJ_.

The answer is in the tiny print in the masthead:

	_DDJ_ is published under license from People's Computer Company,
	2862 Bishop Dr., Suite 107, San Ramon, CA 95483, a nonprofit
	corporation.

I wonder what the terms of the license are.  Specifically, I wonder if
PCC has the ability to move _DDJ_ to a different publisher which might
(at least for a time :-) bring it back on course.  I wonder if they care.

Hmmmmmm?

Naaaaaah.