[comp.misc] Make a Wish Come True

Nanook@cup.portal.com (09/02/88)

Make a wish come true....

This message may not belong in the group in which I'm posting it, but please
do not flame me. When I heard this story, I decided to pass the word along
to everyone and posting it in many of the major groups seemed to be the best
way to accomplish that end.

A young boy named David is dying. He has an incurable disease. He only wants
one thing before he dies. His wish is to be recorded in the Guiness Book of
World Records as being the person to have received the most post cards ever.
To this end I'm posting to everyone on the net requesting that you send David
a post card to help him get his wish. I would also appreciate it if you would
foreward this message to any local BBS's or news groups who may not get these
news feeds.

If you wish to mail a post card to David you may send it to the following
address:

        David
        c/o Aline Morin
        Make A Wish Foundation
        1820 Arabin Rd
        West Palm Beach, Fl. 33406

Please send a card and help David's wish come true!

Nanook of the South
Nanook@cup.portal.com
uunet!portal!nanook

trey@ut-emx.UUCP (Trey Garlough, WN4KKN) (09/04/88)

In article <8684@cup.portal.com>, Nanook@cup.portal.com writes:
> Make a wish come true....  [...]
>
> Please send a card and help David's wish come true!

Sheesh!  Where do these people come from?

Trey Garlough, WN4KKN/5
Computation Center, The University of Texas at Austin, Austin, Texas 78712
ARPA: trey@emx.UTEXAS.EDU UUCP: {harvard,allegra,gatech}!ut-sally!ut-emx!trey

Not again!  Here goes yet another portal person, doing it again.

For those that don't remember, this hoax has gone by before, a few months
or a year ago, in (I think) misc.misc, or some such.  I wish portal would
screen their users a bit, or reduce their use of aliases.

--
Randell Jesup, Commodore Engineering {uunet|rutgers|allegra}!cbmvax!jesup

jdu@ihopa.ATT.COM (John Unruh, NY9R) (09/04/88)

In article <8684@cup.portal.com>, Nanook@cup.portal.com writes:
> Make a wish come true....
>
> This message may not belong in the group in which I'm posting it, but please
> do not flame me. When I heard this story, I decided to pass the word along
> to everyone and posting it in many of the major groups seemed to be the best
> way to accomplish that end.
>
> A young boy named David is dying. He has an incurable disease. He only wants
> one thing before he dies. His wish is to be recorded in the Guiness Book of
> World Records as being the person to have received the most post cards ever.
> To this end I'm posting to everyone on the net requesting that you send David
> a post card to help him get his wish. I would also appreciate it if you would
> foreward this message to any local BBS's or news groups who may not get these
> news feeds.

Didn't this show up a few months ago, and then we had a "stop - he has
received too many cards" message?

--
                               John Unruh
                               AT&T-Bell Laboratories

sampson@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Steve Sampson) (09/04/88)

In article <694@ihopa.ATT.COM>, jdu@ihopa.ATT.COM (John Unruh, NY9R) writes:
> In article <8684@cup.portal.com>, Nanook@cup.portal.com writes:
> > Make a wish come true....
> >
> > A young boy named David is dying.
>
> Didn't this show up a few months ago, and then we had a "stop - he has
> received too many cards" message?

I wish he would kill himself and get it over with!  This mother****er is
probably responsible for suckering 20 people on the Portal system.  What?
Send the guy a gun, he's got enough cards.

zentrale@rmi.UUCP (RMI Net) (09/04/88)

In article <8684@cup.portal.com> Nanook@cup.portal.com writes:
: Make a wish come true....
[...]
: A young boy named David is dying. He has an incurable disease. He only wants
[...]
: Please send a card and help David's wish come true!

	again and again and [...]

dl3no

robert@pvab.UUCP (Robert Claeson) (09/04/88)

In article <5698@ut-emx.UUCP>, trey@ut-emx.UUCP (Trey Garlough, WN4KKN) writes:

> In article <8684@cup.portal.com>, Nanook@cup.portal.com writes:

> > Please send a card and help David's wish come true!

> Sheesh!  Where do these people come from?

Jay-Jay & friends?

lindsay@dscatl.UUCP (Lindsay Cleveland) (09/05/88)

In article <8684@cup.portal.com> you write:
>Make a wish come true....
>
>A young boy named David is dying. He has an incurable disease.
>
>Please send a card and help David's wish come true!
>
>Nanook of the South
>Nanook@cup.portal.com
>uunet!portal!nanook

Gee...the "Dying David" joke (?!) usually takes a couple of years
between appearances on the net...but this time it has been only a
few months since its previous ressurection and interrment!

Perhaps this short length between trying to gull the innocent is in
itself a record of sort!  :-)

Cheers,
  Lindsay

Lindsay Cleveland         Digital Systems Co.   Atlanta, Ga
  gatech!dscatl!lindsay     (404) 497-1902
                         (U.S. Mail:  PO Box 1140, Duluth, GA  30136)

[ Where was I going again?.....  Oh yeah!  Grandma's house! ]

	Greetings citizens of the Net.  My name is Smedley Suckerbait.  I am
dying of an incurable disease.  I have a last wish to make, which you can
help me make come true.  Before I pass from this life, I want to get into
the Guiness Book of World Records as the person to have owned the greatest
ever number of one megabit DRAMs.

	Please send your DRAMs (no SIMM's, please) to:

	Smedley Suckerbait
	c/o well!ewhac@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU

	Help me to die a happy man.  Thank you.

Leo L. Schwab -- The Guy in The Cape	INET: well!ewhac@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU
 \_ -_		Recumbent Bikes:	UUCP: pacbell > !{well,unicom}!ewhac

dewey@execu.UUCP (Dewey Henize) (09/06/88)

Sorry, but when I saw that -
In article <5698@ut-emx.UUCP> trey@ut-emx.UUCP (Trey Garlough, WN4KKN) writes:
>In article <8684@cup.portal.com>, Nanook@cup.portal.com writes:
                      ^^^^^^                  ^^^^^^
>> Make a wish come true....  [...]
>>
>> Please send a card and help David's wish come true!
>>
>Sheesh!  Where do these people come from?
          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

>Trey Garlough, WN4KKN/5
>Computation Center, The University of Texas at Austin, Austin, Texas 78712
>ARPA: trey@emx.UTEXAS.EDU UUCP: {harvard,allegra,gatech}!ut-sally!ut-emx!trey

I just had to point it out.  Doesn't take long on the net to figure these
out even without reading the path...

Dewey Henize

<snicker>

|             execu!dewey  Dewey Henize   or    juniper!dhenize               |
|         Can you say standard disclaimer?  I knew you could.  Somehow...     |

schuster@dasys1.UUCP (Michael Schuster) (09/06/88)

In article <8684@cup.portal.com> Nanook@cup.portal.com writes:
>Make a wish come true....
  [crap about not flaming the author has been deleted...]
>A young boy named David is dying. He has an incurable disease. He only wants

Why do people insist on littering the nets with this crap? This hoax keeps
returning, like a bad nightmare, every few months. It has been debunked on
this net and the FIDO net of BBS systems, time and time again.
Rather than sending a postcard to "David", let's email protests to the
folks who propagate this drivel.

-----
--
l\  /l'   _  Mike Schuster          {sun!hoptoad,cmcl2!phri}!dasys1!schuster
l \/ lll/(_  Big Electric Cat       schuster@dasys1.UUCP

peter@edsews.EDS.COM (Peter Zadrozny) (09/06/88)

In article <8684@cup.portal.com> you write:
>Make a wish come true....
>
>A young boy named David is dying. He has an incurable disease.
>
>Please send a card and help David's wish come true!
>
>Nanook of the South
>Nanook@cup.portal.com
>uunet!portal!nanook

Hey Nanook get this message out of crontab, oncea yearis O.K., but
every other month is too much.

Peter Zadrozny					peter@edsews.eds.com
Oh my god, he can speak!!!			uunet!edsews!peter
Yeah, but don't tell anyone, he'll get fired	(313) 645-4725

stox@ttrde.UUCP (Kenneth P. Stox) (09/06/88)

In article <8684@cup.portal.com>, Nanook@cup.portal.com writes:

> A young boy named David is dying. He has an incurable disease. He only wants
> one thing before he dies. His wish is to be recorded in the Guiness Book of
> World Records as being the person to have received the most post cards ever.
> To this end I'm posting to everyone on the net requesting that you send David
> a post card to help him get his wish. I would also appreciate it if you would
> foreward this message to any local BBS's or news groups who may not get these
> news feeds.
> uunet!portal!nanook

OH NO!!, are we going to go through with this again. I would think that
everyone had caught on to this silly scam a long time ago. I do wish that
this BOZO would not waste our time and bandwidth.

Also, it seems that a large percentage of postings like this seem to
originate from portal. Am I being fair in saying this ??

STOP useless meaningless wastes of time, bandwidth, and disk usage !!!!

JUST SAY NO TO NANOOK OF THE NORTH !!!!

** I'm sorry for this folks, but if I see this one more time, I'm going
to blow my stack !!! **

sorgatz@ttidca.TTI.COM ( Avatar) (09/07/88)

In article <4658@cbmvax.UUCP> jesup@cbmvax.UUCP (Randell Jesup) writes:
>Not again!  Here goes yet another portal person, doing it again.

  This poor dweeb is most  likely  some  assistant  operator-person/tape
ape/paper-jerker..hasn't been given the brainpower of a punched card and
yet is grimly determined to be a do-gooder...wunnerful!

>in (I think) misc.misc, or some such.  I wish portal would
>screen their users a bit, or reduce their use of aliases.

 You  are  dreaming.  As  long  as  the  computing  resources  of  major
universities  are  made  available  to non-tech people this kind of crap
will continue.  It reminds me a great deal of the  miserable  use  being
made  of  a band of frequencies just below 10 meters...!

DEATH TO BOOTLEGGERS!
--
-Avatar-> (aka: Erik K. Sorgatz) KB6LUY           +-------------------------+
Citicorp(+)TTI                          *----------> panic trap; type = N+1 *

larry@pdn.UUCP (Larry Swift) (09/07/88)

In article <697@ttrde.UUCP> stox@ttrde.UUCP (Kenneth P. Stox) writes:
>In article <8684@cup.portal.com>, Nanook@cup.portal.com writes:
>> A young boy named David is dying.... [etc, ad nauseum]
>> uunet!portal!nanook

>everyone had caught on to this silly scam a long time ago. I do wish that
>this BOZO would not waste our time and bandwidth.

Can someone identify, on the net for all to see, who "nanook" is?  A more
personal identification of an individual who cares so little about his
fellow netters may have a more desired effect.

Larry Swift                     UUCP: {peora,uunet}!pdn!larry
Paradyne Corp., LF-207          Phone: (813) 530-8605
P. O. Box 2826
Largo, FL, 34649-9981           She's old and she's creaky, but she holds!

u-dmfloy%sunset.utah.edu@utah-cs.UUCP (Daniel M Floyd) (09/08/88)

I've noticed some *interesting?* postings from portal.
Someone please tell us. What is portal? A business? A university?
A government center? A school (grade?)? I'm not trying
to flame portal. I think we'd all like to know though. I know I would.
Response from portal or responsible hackers is just fine.

P.S. Sorry portal. I tried to use my extinguisher, but after nanook's
David-wish-myth ...

P.P.S. I really do want to know the answer inspite of the
cynical overtones.

thad@cup.portal.com (09/12/88)

(Just a client of PORTAL myself, but you asked)

PORTAL is a network of clustered SUNs and is based in Silicon Valley.  They
provide access to various nets, and a HUGE "local" BBS and information service
to its clients.

With only 11 local incoming phone lines and over 50+ Telenet incoming lines,
it's clear most their clientele is outside the "local" area; a large number
appear to reside on the East coast.  My conjecture is several thousands of
subscribers to their service; most don't seem to utilize Usenet.

I subscribe ($10/month, any baud, any time of day, any session duration) since
it's the most cost-effective method for me to have Usenet and UUCP access;
putting one of my "spare" machines on the net would cost considerably more re:
power and phone costs.

PORTAL does NOT provide access to the underlying UNIX.  It's user interface
is a rather sophisticated menu-driven system, and reading Usenet stuff is
easy as can be since related material (per newsgroup) is collected based on
the subject ... making browsing prior material a cinch.  (OOPS: It's s/b Its;
editing is a pain :-)

What it DOESN'T do is include one's real name in the "From:" field, and it
doesn't include a .signature in outgoing mail.  As a workaround, *I* put a
pseudo-signature on several function keys which I press after entering mail
text.  Thus, people like J-J and Nanook masquerade under pseudonyms.

What's the bug deal on "pseudonyms"?  Every UNIX system I've used has a login
name and an "account/user name" (see /etc/passwd)  (OOPS: bug deal -> big deal)

Thad Floryan [thad@cup.portal.com (OR) ...!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad]