[comp.misc] Votrax Vocabulary

rickb@bucket.UUCP (Rick Bensene) (09/12/88)

I'm looking for a vocabulary of English words for the Votrax SC-01
speech synthesizer chip.  I've been told that such vocabularies exist,
and I'm hoping that someone out there has a copy of such sitting around
in machine readable form somewhere.  I'm not very good at constructing
reasonable sounding phoneme streams 'by ear', and it takes a considerable
amount of time and fine tuning to get the words to sound at all
aesthetically correct, even considering the fact that the SC-01 is
fairly old technology and even at it's best, the speech isn't tremendously
lifelike.  Hopefully I can save quite a bit of time on my application
by being able to rely on someone else who spent the time to devise a good
vocabulary for the chip.

Failing that, maybe someone has a good set of 'rules' which can be used
to get reasonable speech quality from ASCII text.  I saw some such rules
in an article in a long-since forgotten publication (maybe BYTE?) a number
of years ago, but haven't been able to find any reference to it in my
recent searching.

Any help or information that could be provided will be very much
appreciated.

Thank you,

Rick Bensene        Tektronix, Inc.  PO Box 3500 C1-970    Vancouver, WA  98668
..tektronix!tekigm2!rickb (work)         Voice: (206) 253-5489 (10A-5P Pacific)
..tektronix!teksce!bucket!rickb (home)   BBS:   (503) 254-0458 300/1200
--

zgel05@apctrc.UUCP (George E. Lehmann) (09/13/88)

In article <1052@bucket.UUCP> rickb@bucket.UUCP (Rick Bensene) writes:
>I'm looking for a vocabulary of English words for the Votrax SC-01
>speech synthesizer chip.  I've been told that such vocabularies exist,
>
>Failing that, maybe someone has a good set of 'rules' which can be used
>to get reasonable speech quality from ASCII text.

Votrax themselves made a product surrounding the SC-01 chip called the
Personal Speech Synthesizor.  It connected to a PC (or anything else) via
either Centronics parallel or RS-232, and did remarkably good text-to-speech
conversion from the incoming ASCII stream.  It could easily be fooled by
obvious anomilies in English, but they provided easy escapes to force a
particular pronunciation.  They also included a list of no-no words such as
s**t and f**k which were then pronounced 'sugar' and 'fudge'.  All in all
it was (and may still be, as I bought one about four years ago, but sold it
earlier this year from disuse) a good product.

BTW, the computer's voice in War Games ("Shall we play a game?") was a Votrax.
--
George Lehmann,  ...!uunet!apctrc!zgel05
Amoco Production Co., PO BOX 3385, Tulsa, Ok  74102  ph:918-660-4066

thad@cup.portal.com (09/14/88)

You're in luck (re: Votrax vocabulary).  I used to use those a lot; were
quite impressive at trade shows and the like.

What I did was acquire a copy of the Funk & Wagnalls Standard Dictionary
of the English Language, International Edition.  This contains(ed) the
IPA (Int'l Phonetic Alphabet) for the pronunciation of all the words in the
dictionary.  Using that book, I was able to constuct phrases and sentences
that sounded decent on the first try; then a little tweaking would bring the
speech right into line.

Re: some references on Votrax vocabulary building:

Bell System Technical Journal, vol.60, No. 7, Sept.1981, pp. 1621-1631

Heathkit Voice Synthesis Kit (includes chips, too!)

BYTE, September 1981, Ciarcia's column, page 38

BYTE, Feb. 1981, page 164

ELECTRONICS, Feb 10, 1981, page 118

BYTE, June 1981, page 384

BYTE, June 1981, page 46 (Ciarcia)

BYTE, Feb. 1981, page 36

ELECTRONICS, Feb 10, 1981, page 122

ELECTRONICS, April 10, 1980, page 113

ELECTRONICS, August 31, 1978, page 109

Those refs are all to articles beginning on the cited page(s).

I had (have?) programs on DECSYSTEM-20, C64, and several homebrews, all using
the SC-01 chip to great effect.

Good luck with your project!

Thad Floryan [thad@cup.portal.com (OR) ...!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad]