[comp.misc] A 40-MHz 80286 motherboard?

dana@gmu90x.UUCP (J Dana Eckart) (09/13/88)

In the 27 September 1988 issue of PC Magazine, p73, John Dvorak reports
on a 80286 motherboard that runs at 40-MHz.  Even more astounding is the
claim by the supplier that a 100-MHz prototype is/was running at nearly
10 mips.  Is this a prank?  Has anyone heard anything about this?  What's
the rest of the story?

J Dana Eckart
	    UUCP: ...!(gatech | pyrdc)!gmu90x!dana
	INTERNET: dana@gmu90x.gmu.edu
	   SNAIL: P.O. Box 236/Fairfax, VA  22030-0236

siegel@magni.cs.cornell.edu (Alexander Siegel) (09/14/88)

In article <1405@gmu90x.UUCP> dana@gmu90x.UUCP (J Dana Eckart) writes:
>In the 27 September 1988 issue of PC Magazine, p73, John Dvorak reports
>on a 80286 motherboard that runs at 40-MHz.  Even more astounding is the
>claim by the supplier that a 100-MHz prototype is/was running at nearly
>10 mips.  Is this a prank?
I've heard the same story from an independent source.  Details!  We need
details!
Alex Siegel - CS graduate drudge at Cornell
a.k.a. Scimitar;  a.k.a. Phineas Ginn (SCA);  a.k.a. Trash
siegel@cs.cornell.edu   (607)255-1165

marc@ima.ima.isc.com (Marc Evans) (09/15/88)

I have contacted the company and there is a set of literature on its way to
me via USMAIL. I will post details upon its arival...
Marc Evans | decvax<--\    /-->marc<--\               | That's not a bug...It's
Synergytics| harvard<--\  /            \  /--->norton | a design feature... 8-)
Pelham, NH | necntc<---->ima<---->symetrx<---->dupont | =======================

karl@ficc.uu.net (karl lehenbauer#) (09/15/88)

In article <1405@gmu90x.UUCP>, dana@gmu90x.UUCP (J Dana Eckart) writes:
> In the 27 September 1988 issue of PC Magazine, p73, John Dvorak reports
> on a 80286 motherboard that runs at 40-MHz.

Crap!  I don't know for sure what's going on, but ten to one he's been snowed.
--
-- +1 713 274 5184, uunet!ficc!karl
-- Ferranti International Controls, 12808 W. Airport Blvd., Sugar Land, TX 77478

davidsen@steinmetz.ge.com (William E. Davidsen Jr) (09/17/88)

In article <1405@gmu90x.UUCP> dana@gmu90x.UUCP (J Dana Eckart) writes:
| In the 27 September 1988 issue of PC Magazine, p73, John Dvorak reports
| on a 80286 motherboard that runs at 40-MHz.  Even more astounding is the
| claim by the supplier that a 100-MHz prototype is/was running at nearly
| 10 mips.  Is this a prank?  Has anyone heard anything about this?  What's
| the rest of the story?

  I have seen several articles about something similar which was at
least a "proof of concept" if not a real prototype. It seems that
someone did a 286 in all discrete logic (no microcode) and it ran as
fast as a 40MHz 286. They claimed that a 100MHz version was coming.
Sounds familiar, no?

  The item I describe was NOT in any way a plug replacement for your
286, but a big, expensive (I think $10-20k) "thing" which ran with a
custom AT clone. If there ever was a time for it, I think it's
passed...

--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)

buck@siswat.UUCP (A. Lester Buck) (09/17/88)

When I saw the column, I sent a postcard for information (not worth
a phone call, me thinks ;-)

I just got a letter back from Powersource Computer Systems, as follows:

Dear Mr. Buck,

We appreciate your inquiry of the Chang's Modification.
Unfortunately, after consecutive test on the board, we found some
problems.

Currently the board is not available and the manufacturer is
trying to solve the problems that we've found.  They believe that
the pending may last as long as three to four months.  (or even
forever)

So far we have not received any literature from the manufacturer.
I am pretty sure it will be available by the time the board is
ready for the market.

We will put you in mailing list and keep you informed should any
further information regards the board come out.

Thanks again for your interest.

Sincerely,

Bass Chorng

Sounds like vaporware to me!

--
A. Lester Buck		...!uunet!nuchat!moray!siswat!buck