[comp.misc] Don't Bash

mtr@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Miek Rowan) (09/17/88)

In article <4210@thorin.cs.unc.edu>, davis@clocs.cs.unc.edu (Mark Davis) writes:

> Yes, there are some problems reported about Sun, but name another
> company that come even close in competing.  (I can name a couple I
> would like to see compete, but Sun is now a BIG company.)

I have been working with the SunOS4.0 distribution.  It is about the
worst professional job I think I have ever seen.  The source distribution
is missing *a lot* of sources, and another whole section of sources
don't match the distributed binaries.   Sun has had some good ideas,
but that doesn't make up for all the *bad* things.

I mean, lets be reasonable.  People **pay** for Sun's software.

If you are looking for bitmapped terminals, take a long look at X Termials
and at HP's systems.  (although HP may not be perfect, they blow sun
away for quality).   Suns speed sure isn't impressive enough to win
buyers.

Now, I won't say that Sun is in the same league with Dec or Apple.
They have a fair attitude about them (like you said, they aren't sueing
anyone for bogus reasons) I just don't think thier products are what
everyone cracks them up to be.

FYI: These opinions are my own, and my employer may not share them,
	at least until I correct the spelling ;-)

mtr