[comp.misc] what's the latest on Job's NeXT box?

miken@hcr.UUCP (Mike Nemeth) (08/26/88)

was supposed to be introduced in the spring, then in the summer, and now
the leaves are about to start falling and still no machine. does anyone
have any realinfo on this thing? if so, please send it my way.

by the way, does anyone know how reliable Cringely's column in Infoworld
really is? for those of you that haven't seen it, check it out...

--

		Mike Nemeth
HCR Corporation, 130 Bloor St. W., Toronto, Ontario, Canada

	"more logic than Mr Spock!"

sullivan@vsi.UUCP (Michael T Sullivan) (08/27/88)

The last thing I read was around the middle of June in _Time_ or _Newsweek_.
Basically, it's a beautiful thing but Jobs thought the screen refresh was
too slow so he sent it back for speeding up.  I've seen Next (have they made
the spelling normal yet?) popping up in the news a lot lately so maybe we'll
see something soon (see Summary line).

--
Michael Sullivan				{uunet|attmail}!vsi!sullivan
V-Systems, Inc. Santa Ana, CA			sullivan@vsi.com

sbrunnoc@hawk.ulowell.edu (Sean Brunnock) (08/30/88)

From article <827@vsi.UUCP>, by sullivan@vsi.UUCP (Michael T Sullivan):

 Steve Jobs has been telling people that the computer won't come out
until 1989.

			  Sean Brunnock

exodus@mfgfoc.UUCP (Greg Onufer) (08/31/88)

From article <8797@swan.ulowell.edu>, by sbrunnoc@hawk.ulowell.edu (Sean Brunnock):
> From article <827@vsi.UUCP>, by sullivan@vsi.UUCP (Michael T Sullivan):
>
>  Steve Jobs has been telling people that the computer won't come out
> until 1989.

NeXT Year?  I thought NeXT was NeXT month... Oh well.

--Greg
--
Greg Onufer   		GEnie: G.ONUFER		University of the Pacific
UUCP:						-= Focus Semiconductor =-

jbn@glacier.STANFORD.EDU (John B. Nagle) (08/31/88)

      With TI, Mitsibushi, and Hitachi jumping on the SPARC/Sun bandwagon,
NeXT may be too late to market.  The window is closing for alternatives
to the IBM/Mac mainstream.

      Even odds there is no NeXT in 1990.

					John Nagle

ralphw@ius3.ius.cs.cmu.edu (Ralph Hyre) (09/13/88)

In article <17668@glacier.STANFORD.EDU> jbn@glacier.UUCP (John B. Nagle) writes:

>      With TI, Mitsibushi, and Hitachi jumping on the SPARC/Sun bandwagon,
>NeXT may be too late to market.  The window is closing for alternatives
>to the IBM/Mac mainstream.
Well, I think there will always be on '030 Microcomputer' market, but
if it's just the graphics that aren't fast enough (as rumored in a one of
the trade rags, I believe) then

Besides, I didn't think he was going for the 'PC' market, but the educational
one.

In that, he who has the best mix of price/sofware/performance, wins.
At CMU, (I think) that means <$3K for a diskful machine running BSD-derived
Unix (+X11), plus CMU tutor and Andrew capability, plus all of the ITC and
CMU-CS developents (Andrew filesystem, Mach, etc.).  Given CMU's close
relationship with NeXT, the machine will likely be a success here; but maybe
it will turn into another orphan like the PC-RT, which was heavily promoted
here but failed in the 'real world'.

I'd be happy if NeXT was something like a low-end Ardent with great sound
(A/D as well as D/A), enough special hardware and special flexibility to do
reasonable things.  I hope it isn't viewed as just a souped-up Mac II.

[disclaimer: I speak for no-one but myself.  Just because I'm at CMU doesn't
mean that people who know tell me anything.]
--
					- Ralph W. Hyre, Jr.

Internet: ralphw@ius2.cs.cmu.edu    Phone:(412)268-{2847,3275} CMU-{BUGS,DARK}
Amateur Packet Radio: N3FGW@W2XO, or c/o W3VC, CMU Radio Club, Pittsburgh, PA

rjfst4@cisunx.UUCP (Robert J. Fiore) (09/14/88)

In article <403@mfgfoc.UUCP> exodus@mfgfoc.UUCP (Greg Onufer) writes:
>From article <8797@swan.ulowell.edu>, by sbrunnoc@hawk.ulowell.edu (Sean Brunnock):
>> From article <827@vsi.UUCP>, by sullivan@vsi.UUCP (Michael T Sullivan):
>>
>>  Steve Jobs has been telling people that the computer won't come out
>> until 1989.
>
>NeXT Year?  I thought NeXT was NeXT month... Oh well.
>
>Greg Onufer   		GEnie: G.ONUFER		University of the Pacific

Well it seems that NeXT has passed out invitations for the unveiling of
the computer for Oct. 12 in San Francisco.  Its supposed to be awesome.
I just hope they weren't inflating it so much that when it does come
out, people won't be too disappointed.  Oh yeah, the price is supposed
to be more that $3000-$3500.

tmg@nyit.UUCP (Tom Genereaux) (09/16/88)

The New York Times has an article in today's (Sept. 15th) issue reporting that
NeXT will release the box on Oct. 12. We'll see. The article also implied that
part of the delay was a bit of schizophrenia on what market(s) the machine was
targeted for. The same article also announced that IBM has entered a strategic
partnership with NeXT...
				Tom Genereaux

mlinar@eve.usc.edu (Mitch Mlinar) (09/18/88)

In article <333@nyit.UUCP> tmg@nyit.UUCP (Tom Genereaux) writes:

>The New York Times has an article in today's (Sept. 15th) issue reporting that
>NeXT will release the box on Oct. 12. We'll see. The article also implied that
>part of the delay was a bit of schizophrenia on what market(s) the machine was
>targeted for. The same article also announced that IBM has entered a strategic
>partnership with NeXT...
>				Tom Genereaux

Gad!  The NY Times certainly has terse reporting here, if not wrong.  Here is
an update, Tom:

NeXt *will* be shown to the public on Oct. 12 (11?) in San Francisco at a
large convention hall (name slips my mind) that has already been rented at
big $$$.  Therefore, if Jobs REALLY wants to make an ass of himself, he might
miss it.  I doubt it.

Second, Jobs has *licensed* the NeXt user interface to IBM to use on their
PC/RT.  Basically, that means he is selling the code to them, but not doing
it with them (as in partnership).  I don't recall reading anything about it
being an exclusive license, either.

Of all the stuff I have read, it seems that Jobs is steering his NeXt
computer towards the academic environment.  With Suns and MacIIs to compete
against there, I wish him luck.....

At USC, Suns are *the* dominant machine and are all over campus.  There are
still more IBMs than MacIIs, but there are ALWAYS a few IBMs free even in the
worst user crunch.  Nobody really wants to use them.  MacIIs and Suns are
still being bought whenever money allows it.

-Mitch