[comp.misc] Dream clone

gary@percival.UUCP (Gary Wells) (09/20/88)

In article <1056@bucket.UUCP> leonard@bucket.UUCP (Leonard Erickson) writes:
>In article <14292@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> c60a-1bq@e260-4f.berkeley.edu (nunnayourbiznezz) writes:
><My dream cheapo system would be a PClone board mounted on top of a 3.5" drive.
><with space under it for another 3.5 drive (of course).
>Well, someone could buils such a system cheaply enough...
>
>Intel sells the "Wildboard 88" for $50 ($55 with 8087) in quantity 1000.

It's been a while since I checked one of their ads, but Ampro used to make a
little PC-bugger, similar to your "dreams".  Granted, it was 5 1/4" floppy
sized, but what the heck.  There's lots more boxes at 5" than at 3" form factor.

Besides, that solves your expansion card and connector mounting space problems.

I think their system (remember, it's been a while since I saw an ad) was in the
<$1000 range.  You had to supply a terminal, but so does your proposal.
.

Still working on _natural_ intelligence.

gary@percival   (...!tektronix!percival!gary)