[comp.misc] Whither _UNIX TODAY_?

tkevans@fallst.UUCP (Tim Evans) (09/10/88)

Some weeks back *(i.e., 6 or 8 of them), there was a big splashy
announcement of this fabulous new magazine _UNIX TODAY_, complete
with e-mail addresses for everyone down to the janitor and promises
of "free" subscriptions to USENET readers.

These people had a booth at UniForum-DC in early August, where they
actually gave away issue #2 of their mag--and it was a right nifty
thing.  They _also_ promised "free" subscriptions to anyone who filled
out their questionnaire (you know, how many of this do you plan to
acquire in the next 6 months? how many employees do you have, etc.?).

Has anyone _seen_ another issue of _UNIX TODAY_?  Has anyone received
one in the mail?

(Is _UNIX TODAY_ still reading this?)

--
UUCP:  ...!{rutgers|ames|uunet}!mimsy!aplcen!wb3ffv!fallst!tkevans
OTHER: ...!attmail!fallst!tkevans

ehrlich@blitz (Dan Ehrlich) (09/12/88)

In article <450@fallst.UUCP> tkevans@fallst.UUCP (Tim Evans) writes:
>Has anyone _seen_ another issue of _UNIX TODAY_?  Has anyone received
>one in the mail?

I filled out my free subscription at USENIX in San Francisco and have
recieved three issues to date.  The last one was dated August 22,
1988.  Spacing on the mailings seems to be a bit erratic at the
moment.  They have an interesting approach and hope they haven't
folded.

>(Is _UNIX TODAY_ still reading this?)

Dan Ehrlich <ehrlich@blitz.cs.psu.edu> | Disclaimer: The opinions expressed are
The Pennsylvania State University      | my own, and should not be attributed
Department of Computer Science         | to anyone else, living or dead.
University Park, PA   16802            |

klr@hadron.UUCP (Kurt L. Reisler) (09/12/88)

In article <450@fallst.UUCP> tkevans@fallst.UUCP (Tim Evans) writes:
>thing.  They _also_ promised "free" subscriptions to anyone who filled
>out their questionnaire (you know, how many of this do you plan to
>acquire in the next 6 months? how many employees do you have, etc.?).
>
>Has anyone _seen_ another issue of _UNIX TODAY_?  Has anyone received
>one in the mail?

I received my first (via the subscription form) issue last week.
Unfortunately, it is at home, so I can not give you the date, but it
appears to be alive and well.  I would imagine it is suffering from the
usual start-up delays.

Kurt Reisler (703) 359-6100
UNISIG Chairman, DECUS US Chapter                       | Hadron, Inc.
..{uunet|sundc|rlgvax|netxcom|decuac}!hadron!klr        | 9990 Lee Highway
Sysop, Fido 109/74  The Bear's Den   (703) 671-0598     | Suite 481
Sysop, Fido 109/483 The Pot of Gold  (703) 359-6549     | Fairfax, VA 22030

lukas@ihlpf.ATT.COM (00704a-Lukas) (09/13/88)

In article <450@fallst.UUCP> tkevans@fallst.UUCP (Tim Evans) writes:
>Some weeks back *(i.e., 6 or 8 of them), there was a big splashy
>Has anyone _seen_ another issue of _UNIX TODAY_?  Has anyone received
>one in the mail?

I also would like to know what happend. I tried (twice) to contact
them via email, and since it didnt bounce, I assume it got through.
But no response. Now, while I expect that kind of attention from my
bank, etc., I thought that unix today would be better, especially
since they were soliciting for input. Did they fold?
--

	John Lukas
	ihnp4!ihlpf!lukas

daveh@marob.MASA.COM (Dave Hammond) (09/14/88)

>In article <450@fallst.UUCP> tkevans@fallst.UUCP (Tim Evans) writes:
>Has anyone _seen_ another issue of _UNIX TODAY_?  Has anyone received
>one in the mail?

I also received my one sample issue (an interesting alternative to the
techno- and corporate-Unix periodicals), then nothing.  I email'd to
the editor (uunet!utoday!mikea) who noted some startup snafus in the
circulation department, etc.  He replied that I would be reenstated to
the subscription list and mailed issues 2 and 3.

I sent back a `thanks for your attention...' which got returned to
me a few days ago as undeliverable.  And I haven't received any back issues.

I too hope they haven't folded before getting their deserved exposure.

Dave Hammond
  UUCP: uunet!masa.com!{marob|dsix2}!daveh
DOMAIN: daveh@marob.masa.com

zombie@voodoo.UUCP (Mike York) (09/24/88)

In article <414@marob.MASA.COM> daveh@marob.masa.com (Dave Hammond) writes:
>>In article <450@fallst.UUCP> tkevans@fallst.UUCP (Tim Evans) writes:
>>Has anyone _seen_ another issue of _UNIX TODAY_?  Has anyone received
>>one in the mail?
>I too hope they haven't folded before getting their deserved exposure.

Issue number 4 just arrived in the mail yesterday (9/22).

Unfortunately, it's at home so I can't provide the publish date -- it
appears they're still publishing monthly.

--
Mike York
Boeing Computer Services, Renton, Washington