[comp.misc] NeXT group.

rsilvers@hawk.ulowell.edu (Robert Silvers) (10/01/88)

     Why must we wait for a comp.sys.next?  Cant we start one based on
Steve Jobs' reputation?  Does anybody else want this group?

					--Rob.

Robert Silvers.
Box #1003 University of Lowell.
Lowell Ma, 01854
(617) 452-8823 Rm. 322     "Live free or live in Massachusetts."

seanf@sco.COM (Sean Fagan) (10/02/88)

In article <9378@swan.ulowell.edu> rsilvers@hawk.ulowell.edu (Robert Silvers) writes:
>     Why must we wait for a comp.sys.next?  Cant we start one based on
>Steve Jobs' reputation?  Does anybody else want this group?

Yeah, I can see it now...we send out the call for votes, get the 100 yes
votes we need, send out notices to all system administrators that we're
creating the group...

And then we send out more notices saying we're not ready yet, we'll have to
wait a few months...
8-)

By the way, anybody want to give *their* estimates on the odds for Jobs
actually having something, this time?

--
Sean Eric Fagan  | "ld runs like a turtle out of antartica"
seanf@sco.UUCP   |     Steven Ryan (smryan@garth.UUCP)

egranthm@amyerg.UUCP (Ewan R. Grantham) (10/04/88)

In article <1398@scolex>, seanf@sco.COM (Sean Fagan) writes:
> By the way, anybody want to give *their* estimates on the odds for Jobs
> actually having something, this time?

You mean you didn't get your free machine in the press kit for the press
conference ?
:-)

Seriously, this time they've actually paid for the conference site, the
machine has been basically set in the press (so you can't change too much
at this stage), and I hear MacWORLD is about ready to put out the
intro issue of NeXTWORLD.

So I'd put odds as 90% Jobs announces this time. Otherwise you may well
see IBM go down with the ship also... or do you suppose that's all
Jobs is up to anyway...(hehe)

--
Ewan Grantham (601) 354-6454 ext. 412  Miss. Dept. of Corrections
Go New Orleans Saints!!!!                (The Prison People)

davidsen@steinmetz.ge.com (William E. Davidsen Jr) (10/04/88)

In article <9378@swan.ulowell.edu> rsilvers@hawk.ulowell.edu (Robert Silvers) writes:

|      Why must we wait for a comp.sys.next?  Cant we start one based on
| Steve Jobs' reputation?  Does anybody else want this group?

  How about talk.rumor? I don't care about reputation, he can't get the
box out the door. I can't get the votes for a 386 group even though I
run a mailing list of 200+ people, so how many people will want a group
for a hypothetical machine?
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)

mslater@cup.portal.com (10/04/88)

> odds on Jobs actually having something this time

Without question, there will be an announcement on Oct 12, and they will
have prototype machines.  From what I hear, though, shipment of volume
production is many months away.

Michael Slater, Microprocessor Report
mslater@cup.portal.com