[comp.misc] FORTRAN, COBOL, etc.

wgh@Grumpy.UUCP (William G. Hutchison) (10/06/88)

In article <3810@Portia.Stanford.EDU>, dilvish@Portia.Stanford.EDU (Jay Shrauner) writes:
> In article <3520@phri.UUCP> roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) writes:
> >... unless the NeXT has a good Fortran package [ specifics deleted ]
> >it's just not interesting to us except as a cute toy.
> I hardly think it wise to chain the newest technology to antiquated languages.
I agree in principle, but most software is written in antiquated, inappropriate
languages.  In my opinion, a vendor who wants NOT to be chained to these
ancient mistakes should support these old languages by making available
high-quality translators or front ends to something like a universal
assembly language (e.g. C or Ada).
 Anybody who wants to disagree about C and Ada being 'assembly languages'
is welcome to do so (I DO know that they are not so, literally), but I mean
that they are reasonably portable languages that also allow low-level operations
when necessary.
--
Bill Hutchison, DP Consultant	rutgers!cbmvax!burdvax!Grumpy!wgh
Unisys UNIX Portation Center	"What one fool can do, another can!"