[comp.misc] Computer use and abuse

bhamidip@s.cs.uiuc.edu (10/09/88)

I haven't been following this notesfile so I have no idea if this subject has
discussed before.

	The existence of this notesfile is a testimony to the power of
networking, and obviously with that power comes the potential for abuse.

	Specifically what I am talking about is the widespread use of
computers to maintain databases on people.  Your local video rental store
probably uses a number to identify the various patrons and perhaps
additionally to maintain a list of movies that have been checked out in the
past.  The supermarket can keep a record of what groceries you buy: the bar
code provides a list of what has been purchased and if you pay by check the
routing code and account number uniquely identify the people using the
account.  Some stores allow the you to buy items using an ATM card,
obviously some electronic link from the store to the bank exists, but who
knows what information is exchanged?  Credit cards also provide an
electronic record of your cash flow and the establishments you visit.
Mailing lists for magazines are an obvious source of information as are
telephone records (who do you call).
	All of the above uses of computers have valid and innocuous reasons for
their use.  The video store may want the information to inform you of
movies that you may be interested in or simply want to keep
track of who trashed their videos.  Grocery stores may find it useful to
have demographic information about their customers: average distance to
store, average amount of purchase, and the popularity of different items.
They may also extend special offers to heavy spenders.  Regarding the use
of ATM cards at a store, this is simply a convenience that many people
want.  The purpose of using computers is not to create an Orwellian
society, but rather to make some processes more stream-lined.
	While all of this is well and good, how far are you willing to let
this go? To the best of my knowledge no legislation exists regarding the
abuse of information in computers.  In fact based on the past performance
of the government (the FBI's tampering with peoples credit histories) I
would say that until some major scandal occurs no legislation will be
introduced to protect the average citizen from possible abuse.
	Some gloom and doom predictions are: (1) using video rental records
to locate undesirables (those renting pornographic, political, etc. movies)
(2) cash flow analysis to locate people with "too much" money (3) tampering
with the availability of funds in your account (4) location of "wrong"
thinking people through the use of magazine mailing lists.  Clearly the
POTENTIAL for abuse is unlimited (an example that comes to mind is when a
zealous reporter inquired into the kinds of movies that a potential supreme
court judge rented).
	By all of this I do not mean to say that computers should not be
used or that they are bad, rather I think that the general awareness of the
potential for misuse is low.
	Finally in the spirit of spawning a good discussion I would like to
hear from anyone who has: (1) experience with any form of information abuse
or (2) tips on what people can do to erase any electronic records that may
exist and keep from creating new ones.  An obvious answer to (2) is to use
only cash.

bhamidip@s.cs.uiuc.edu
Achyutram Bhamidipaty

hess@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (Caleb Hess) (10/11/88)

In article <209400001@s.cs.uiuc.edu> bhamidip@s.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

>I haven't been following this notesfile so I have no idea if this subject has
>discussed before.
>
>	Specifically what I am talking about is the widespread use of
>computers to maintain databases on people.

Try reading comp.risks for an ongoing discussion of computers vs. privacy.