[comp.misc] Weather data by 1200 baud modem?

milo@ndmath.UUCP (Greg Corson) (10/10/88)

Does anyone happen to know of a service where you can get weather data
such as satelite pictures, weather maps...etc over the phone with a
standard 300/1200/2400 baud modem?  I know some weather radars can be
accessed for the price of a long distance phone call but their data
format seems to be totally nonstandard and can't be received by a
normal computer modem.

I don't mind having to call long distance but I can't afford to pay big
bucks for a commercial weather service as this is for some personal
experimental stuff I'm doing on a $0 budget.

So, anyone know of anyplace?  I understood that some FAA flight service
stations gave this info out but I don't know if it costs $$$ or is free
(or for that matter, if you can use a standard modem to receive it).

Whatever the source, it needs to be stored and transmitted as computer data.
I don't have the money or the time to go out and build a FAX interface.

Any ideas???   Thanks in advance!

Greg Corson
19141 Summers Drive
South Bend, IN 46637
(219) 277-5306
{pur-ee,rutgers,uunet}!iuvax!ndmath!milo

jbrown@jato.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (Jordan Brown) (10/11/88)

In article <1227@ndmath.UUCP> milo@ndmath.UUCP (Greg Corson) writes:
>Does anyone happen to know of a service where you can get weather data
>such as satelite pictures, weather maps...etc over the phone with a
>standard 300/1200/2400 baud modem?

WeatherBank in Salt Lake City and Minneapolis has some of this.
They have ASCII-ized satellite pictures and some form of graphics
protocol for weather maps.  (I don't know if they can do sat pics
using their graphics stuff.)

SLC
801-973-3221 300/1200
801-977-9227 300/1200
801-977-9427 2400

Mlps
612-339-1685 300/1200
... ... .... 2400 by special arrangement

You can call and get all their online docs for free; I think you say "help"
to get started on them.

To actually get data, you have to pay them money, but it isn't much (in
my opinion)... $0.15/minute.  I've found that most weather requests take
me much less than a minute; my usual charge for a half-dozen FTs and SAs
is usually $0.07.  That's with me manually typing the request, which is
where most of the time is spent.

fgz@lakart.UUCP (Fred Genoese-Zerbi) (10/11/88)

From article <1227@ndmath.UUCP>, by milo@ndmath.UUCP (Greg Corson):
> Does anyone happen to know of a service where you can get weather data
> such as satelite pictures, weather maps...etc over the phone with a
> standard 300/1200/2400 baud modem?  I know some weather radars can be
> accessed for the price of a long distance phone call but their data
> format seems to be totally nonstandard and can't be received by a
> normal computer modem.

If you join Compuserve, they have a some similar service, although the
pictures are not that high resolution.  They can be downloaded if
you have software that understands their format.  I use a Macintosh
with Red Ryder.  The only problem is that I have not found a way to save
the pictures other than taking screen prints (this is not so bad, just
a little slow).

Good Luck.

Federico Genoese-Zerbi
{mirror, cfisun, xait}!lakart!fgz