[comp.misc] punch cards

reggie@pdn.UUCP (George W. Leach) (10/14/88)

In article <631@sbsvax.UUCP> greim@sbsvax.UUCP (Michael Greim) writes:
>I am still using punchcards as bookmarks. The cards are coming mainly from
>my very first moon landing simulation program. (Yes, we had terminals
>then but we also had cardpunches.)

     Every once in a while I find a Hollerith Card that was used as a
bookmark in an old text book.  God does it bring back memories.  At the
time I was an undergraduate it was the only way to go!  (I can see it now,
someone will start talking about vacuum tubes, core memory, etc.....).
Thank God I have not found any paper tape from my high school days :-)

--
George W. Leach					Paradyne Corporation
..!uunet!pdn!reggie				Mail stop LF-207

davef@brspyr1.BRS.Com (Dave Fiske) (10/19/88)

In article <4601@pdn.UUCP>, reggie@pdn.UUCP (George W. Leach) writes:
>      Every once in a while I find a Hollerith Card that was used as a
> bookmark in an old text book.  God does it bring back memories.  At the
> time I was an undergraduate it was the only way to go!  (I can see it now,
> someone will start talking about vacuum tubes, core memory, etc.....).

I believe I still have some old card decks of PL/I programs packed
amongst my college textbooks.  At the Computer Museum in Boston, they
have an 026 with a bunch of cards to punch up.  It's amazing how it all
comes back to you once you sit down at the keypunch again.  I hadn't
touched one since 1975!  You have to admit, though, no terminal has the
invigorating aroma that a freshly punched IBM card has!  (Not to
mention the sound of a roomful of students pounding out their
programs.)

Of course, one of the most fascinating things to do was to take the
punched card from your phone bill, and run it through the keypunch with
the DUP switch on.  Wow, you mean businesses actually use the same
codes that we do?!
--
"CHIMP'S HEAD PUT                    Dave Fiske  (davef@brspyr1.BRS.COM)
 ON HUMAN BODY"

thode@nprdc.arpa (Walt Thode) (10/19/88)

This is beginning to sound like the kinds of arguments the high-end audio
folks make about tube amplifiers and analog sound reproduction.  Are we
about to embark on discussions about how data analysis is more aesthetically
pleasing when done using tube computers and punch cards?
--
Walt Thode   ARPA:  thode@nprdc.arpa
             UUCP:  {everywhere_else}!ucsd!nprdc!thode