[comp.misc] DB25 to DB9 Serial Problems

regoli@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (michael regoli) (10/25/88)

]:[

would some kind soul figure out why this cable situation doesn't work?
i'm trying to convert a DB-25 to a DB-9 interface.

i have a diablo 1640 printer with a rs232 serial interface.  the cable is
hard-wired directly into the back of the printer, so all i'm working
with is the male DB-25 coming out.  it breaks out as follows:

         PIN#              COLOR        ASSUMED FUNCTION*
         ----              -----        ----------------------------
           1               green        protective ground (GND?)
           2               red          transmit data (TD)
           3               orange       received data (RD)
           4               yellow       request to send (RTS)
           5               brown        clear to send (CTS)
           6               blue         data set ready (DSR)
           7               purple       signal ground (GND?)
           8               white        data carrier detect (DCD)
           20              black        data terminal ready (DTR)

(*assuming the diablo cable is consistent with rs232 circuits--which it
should be, since the printer works with any 25-pin PC serial port.)

what i've done is connected the following pins:

             DB-25     ------------->   DB-9
             -----                      ----
               1          (prot gnd)      ?
               2          (TD)            3
               3          (RD)            2
               4          (RTS)           7
               5          (CTS)           8
               6          (DSR)           6
               7          (sig gnd)       5
               8          (DCD)           1
              20          (DTR)           4

what have i done wrong?  i suppose i've have the wrong pin-outs for the
9-pin serial port.  (and yes, i've configured the port with the DOS MODE
command, too.)  the computer is a true-blue IBM-AT (circa 1984).

thanks for your help!

--

cdold@starfish.Convergent.COM (Clarence Dold) (10/26/88)

In article <2521@silver.bacs.indiana.edu>, regoli@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (michael regoli) writes:
> would some kind soul figure out why this cable situation doesn't work?
> i'm trying to convert a DB-25 to a DB-9 interface.
> [...]
> what i've done is connected the following pins:
>
>              DB-25     ------------->   DB-9
>              -----                      ----
>                1          (prot gnd)      ?
>                2          (TD)            3
>                3          (RD)            2
>                4          (RTS)           7
>                5          (CTS)           8
>                6          (DSR)           6
>                7          (sig gnd)       5
>                8          (DCD)           1
>               20          (DTR)           4
>	[...]
The pinout you have is correct for an adpater from the old cable to the new
9pin port.
You can verify which pins are being driven by the printer, which are expected
to be received, and which are empty with a DVM (high impedance voltmeter).
If pin 2 is really transmit data, measuring from pin 2, using pin 7 as
reference should should -8V when idle.  Other driven signals will show either
+8v or -8V.  This voltage might be different on different systems, but it
should be a strong positive or negative.
Pins attached to receivers will should some slight voltage, probably around
0.5v on pin 3.
Pins that are unused should show 0V.
The only catch to this DVM trick is that some systems will send unused pins
to ground or +5 through a pullup or pulldown resistor.  I recall that pin
6, DSR had to be high on a Diablo, before it would accept data.  If this is
pulled high inside the printer, then driven low by a PC signal, it could be
that eliminating a few pins from your adapter will make it work.  Try just
pins 2 and 7 to start, to see if you can get any data through.

--
---
Clarence A Dold - cdold@starfish.Convergent.COM		(408) 435-5274