[comp.misc] NeXT, students, and optical disks

barry@kiwi.UUCP (barry klawans) (10/20/88)

In article <821@ncrcce.StPaul.NCR.COM> mercer@ncrcce.StPaul.NCR.COM (Dan Mercer) writes:
>	Why optical storage - because that way one machine can easily
>	support the needs of dozens of students - without the complexities
>	of network servers and file management and allotment.  Any
>	student can carry around as much space as needed,  for only
>	$50 /256mb.  The way I envision the machines being used,
>	is with system software on SCSI,

According to Jobs NeXT wants to have optical disk bootable.  They are still
negotiating with AT&T about distribution rights.  (Why is AT&T involved?
Mach is not UNIX, it just resembles UNIX.  Can anyone shed some light on
this?)  With 256Mb a student should be able to have the root file system
and all of their work with extra space left over.  The idea is that a student
can take the disk and pop it into any NeXT machine and instantly have all
of their work, including any customizations they have made.  Most people
I know could fit their entire work environment into 256Mb.

>	That's why no X - do that on a VAX.  NeXTSTeP (?) is designed
>	so that non-programmers can put together applications cheaply
>	and easily.

According to the technical conference NeXT wanted to use the same imaging model
for both the screen and the printer for true WYSIWYG.  That mandated
PostScript and they did not want to ship an extended X that required PostScript
since it would no longer be standard.  Why use a standard window system if you
are going to be incompatible with every other implementation?
Barry Klawans
Any opinions given are mine, not my company's.  They don't want them.
UUCP: {mtxinu,sun,pyramid,pacbell}!sybase!barry
"All of my friends are traitors." - Manuel M. Costa

guy@auspex.UUCP (Guy Harris) (10/22/88)

>According to Jobs NeXT wants to have optical disk bootable.  They are still
>negotiating with AT&T about distribution rights.  (Why is AT&T involved?
>Mach is not UNIX, it just resembles UNIX.  Can anyone shed some light on
>this?)

The OS that NeXT is running presumably consists of more than just the
code written at CMU; it probably includes a lot of code written at AT&T.
(CMU didn't go to the trouble of rewriting all the user-mode code, and
there may even be kernel-mode code in there from AT&T....)

robert@pvab.UUCP (Robert Claeson) (10/26/88)

In article <1579@sybase.sybase.com>, barry@kiwi.UUCP (barry klawans) writes:

> ... NeXT wanted to use the same imaging model
> for both the screen and the printer for true WYSIWYG.  That mandated
> PostScript...

Why did they choose Display Postscript over NeWS?
--
Robert Claeson, ERBE DATA AB, P.O. Box 77, S-175 22 Jarfalla, Sweden
Tel: +46 758-202 50   Fax: +46 758-197 20