[comp.misc] 68882 pronunciation?

bobg+@andrew.cmu.edu (Robert Steven Glickstein) (10/21/88)

How does one pronounce the name of the 68882 chip?  "Sixty-eight, eight
eighty-two" is a little unwieldy.  I flip-flop between "six eight-star two" and
"sixty eighty eighty eighty eighty ...(etc., until I'm tired)... two".  Any
better suggestions?

I don't envy the people who have to work with the damn things.

                                 Bob Glickstein
                          Information Technology Center
                           Carnegie Mellon University
                                 Pittsburgh, PA

                               "What's in a name?"

wbralick@afit-ab.arpa (William A. Bralick) (10/21/88)

How about  six eight-cubed two?

Cordially,

Will

ken@gatech.edu (Ken Seefried III) (10/21/88)

This is a really dumb question, but to answer it, everyone I know (including
several Motorolans) call it the 'eight-eitghty-two', the 'sixty-eight' being
implicit...

   ...ken

rbrewer@reed.UUCP (Robert S Brewer) (10/24/88)

In article <AXLZrHy00VsII7BuIq@andrew.cmu.edu> bobg+@andrew.cmu.edu (Robert Steven Glickstein) writes:
>How does one pronounce the name of the 68882 chip?  "Sixty-eight, eight
>eighty-two" is a little unwieldy.  I flip-flop between "six eight-star two" and
>"sixty eighty eighty eighty eighty ...(etc., until I'm tired)... two".  Any
>better suggestions?
>
>I don't envy the people who have to work with the damn things.
>
>                                 Bob Glickstein
>                          Information Technology Center
>                           Carnegie Mellon University
>                                 Pittsburgh, PA
>
>                               "What's in a name?"

	I had always used the latter of your two choices, but recently I have
taken to calling it the "six triple eight two" chip. I like it...

[inews fodder]
[inews fodder]
[inews fodder]
[inews fodder]

	Robert S. Brewer
	Freshman, Reed College

	Usenet : rbrewer@reed.UUCP
	Bitnet : rbrewer@reed.BITNET
	GEnie  : R.BREWER

daveh@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Haynie) (10/25/88)

in article <AXLZrHy00VsII7BuIq@andrew.cmu.edu>, bobg+@andrew.cmu.edu (Robert Steven Glickstein) says:

> How does one pronounce the name of the 68882 chip?

I usually call the thing "the FPU", and if necessary to mention which one,
I call it the "eight eighty two", since it's connected to the "oh-twenty"
or "oh-thirty".  Same principle as all those Inteloids who use "three
eighty six" based computers with "three eighty seven" chips in 'em.

> I don't envy the people who have to work with the damn things.

If just the name scares you away, stay away from just about all electronics;
everything's got a number of some kind.

--
Dave Haynie  "The 32 Bit Guy"     Commodore-Amiga  "The Crew That Never Rests"
   {uunet|pyramid|rutgers}!cbmvax!daveh      PLINK: D-DAVE H     BIX: hazy

phil@aimt.uu.net (Phil Gustafson) (10/25/88)

I always pronounced it just like '68881', but with a '2' on the end.

							phil

--
				Phil Gustafson, Graphics/UN*X Consultant
				uunet!aimt!phil phil@aimt.com

blm@cxsea.UUCP (Brian Matthews) (10/27/88)

Phil Gustafson (phil@aimt.uu.net) writes:

|I always pronounced it just like '68881', but with a '2' on the end.

'688812'?  What's that?

--
Brian L. Matthews  blm@cxsea.UUCP   ...{mnetor,uw-beaver!ssc-vax}!cxsea!blm
+1 206 251 6811    Computer X Inc. - a division of Motorola New Enterprises