[comp.misc] Appeal for meaning of an acronym -- help!

clifford@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Larry Clifford) (10/27/88)

I'm trying to locate the following reference, and others from this source:

	R. T. Gregory, "The use of finite-segment P-adic arithmetic for exact
	computations," BIT, vol. 18, pp. 282-300, 1978.

What the hell does BIT stand for?  I've asked professors, fellow students,
and looked at dictionaries of acronyms in the library.  Help!

Post reply, or e-mail to:

clifford%eleazar@dartmouth.edu

Thanks very much.  -- Larry Clifford

bs@linus.UUCP (Robert D. Silverman) (10/28/88)

BIT is not an acronym. It is the literal name of a journal.

Bob Silverman

ok@quintus.uucp (Richard A. O'Keefe) (10/28/88)

In article <10620@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU>  writes:
>I'm trying to locate the following reference, and others from this source:

>	R. T. Gregory, "The use of finite-segment P-adic arithmetic for exact
>	computations," BIT, vol. 18, pp. 282-300, 1978.

>What the hell does BIT stand for?  I've asked professors, fellow students,
>and looked at dictionaries of acronyms in the library.  Help!

It's a computer science journal; each issue tends to be about half
numerical analysis, half general CS.  Definitely one of the good journals.
The original title was (I apologise in advance for the spelling; I do not
know any Scandinavian language) "Nordiske Tidshrift fur Informations-
Behandlung".  (read the acronym backwards...)  Early issues were in a mix
of languages, but they ended up with all the articles in English.

vrh@mh_co2.mh.nl (Michael Verheij) (10/28/88)

In article <10620@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU>  writes:
>I'm trying to locate the following reference, and others from this source:
>
>	R. T. Gregory, "The use of finite-segment P-adic arithmetic for exact
>	computations," BIT, vol. 18, pp. 282-300, 1978.
>

>What the hell does BIT stand for?  I've asked professors, fellow students,
>and looked at dictionaries of acronyms in the library.  Help!

Have you ever thought of "BInary digiT"?
                          ^^         ^

That was one of the first things I learned at the The Hague Polytechnic.

---
Michael Verheij (using Netnews)
USENET: vrh@mh.nl via European backbone (mcvax).
UUCP:   ..!mcvax!mhres!vrh
"Experience comes with the amount of equipment ruined."

tyler@procase.UUCP (William B. Tyler) (10/29/88)

In article <10620@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU>  writes:
>I'm trying to locate the following reference, and others from this source:
>
>	R. T. Gregory, "The use of finite-segment P-adic arithmetic for exact
>	computations," BIT, vol. 18, pp. 282-300, 1978.
>

>What the hell does BIT stand for?  I've asked professors, fellow students,
>and looked at dictionaries of acronyms in the library.  Help!

You can't be the only person who is confused when they see this for the
first time, so I think the answer is worth posting.  This is probably
the most twisted journal name in existence.  The actual name (except for
some probable spelling errors) is Nordisk Tidskrift for Informations
Behandling.  The cover lays out the name more or less as shown below:

			Nordisk
	       Tidskrift for
	      Informations
	     Behandling

(I may have this slightly wrong, it's been a few years since I looked at one.)
Anyhow, you've probably already noticed that if you read the initial
letters diagonally up and right, you get BIT.  I don't know what happened
to the 'N' :-)

Hope this is of some help.

Bill Tyler

--
Bill Tyler				...(tolerant|hpda)!procase!tyler

root@libove.UUCP (Jay M. Libove) (10/29/88)

From article <10620@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU>, by
 clifford@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Larry Clifford):
> I'm trying to locate the following reference, and others from this source:
> 	R. T. Gregory, "The use of finite-segment P-adic arithmetic for exact
> 	computations," BIT, vol. 18, pp. 282-300, 1978.
>
> What the hell does BIT stand for?  I've asked professors, fellow students,
> and looked at dictionaries of acronyms in the library.  Help!
>
> Thanks very much.  -- Larry Clifford

Seems to me that BIT stands for Binary Digit. At least, that is what
it means when in reference to a "16 bit integer".

What does it mean in terms of the title of that magazine?
I sure don't know.

--
Jay Libove		ARPA:	jl42@andrew.cmu.edu or libove@cs.cmu.edu
5731 Centre Ave, Apt 3	BITnet:	jl42@andrew or jl42@drycas

kjell@saturn.ucsc.edu (Kjell Post) (10/31/88)

">
>Seems to me that BIT stands for Binary Digit. At least, that is what
>it means when in reference to a "16 bit integer".

Yes, but this is a newsletter/magazine and as an earlier
posting said, BIT reads backwards as "Behandling Informations Tidskrift",
swedish for Information Processing Newsletter.

A real programmer never goes       ! Kjell Post, Dept of Comp & Info Sciences
to the john without bringing       ! University of California, Santa Cruz
a manual to read.                  ! Email: kjell@saturn.ucsc.edu