[comp.misc] Internet Virus

john@l5comp.UUCP (John Turner) (11/06/88)

		  So, it was Robert T. Morris Jr., was it?

	    To quote Robert "Beaver" Morris' older brother Wally:

	   "Boy, Beav, you're really gonna get it now!" :-) :-) :-)

I believe the contemplated charges are 'unlawful access to a federal computer'
(multiple counts?) and 'fraudulent use of a federal computer'; the second
charge is good for twenty years hard time, the first for up to a year and a
$250,000 fine.  Pretty heavy stuff for a 23 year-old Cornell grad student.

		John Turner, john@l5comp,way up in Edmonds WA

pda@stiatl.UUCP (Paul Anderson) (11/08/88)

In article <456@l5comp.UUCP> john@l5comp.UUCP (John Turner) writes:

 >[... regarding the worm...]
 >I believe the contemplated charges are 'unlawful access to a federal computer'
 >(multiple counts?) and 'fraudulent use of a federal computer'; the second
 >charge is good for twenty years hard time, the first for up to a year and a
 >$250,000 fine.  Pretty heavy stuff for a 23 year-old Cornell grad student.
 >		John Turner, john@l5comp,way up in Edmonds WA

Hmmm. Interesting.  What if his worm had a bug in it that was supposed
to keep it from infecting federal computers and it didn't work?  What
then?  :-)

paul

--
Paul Anderson		gatech!stiatl!pda		(404) 841-4000
	    X isn't just an adventure, X is a way of life...