[comp.misc] The Name of the Beast

bobmon@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (RAMontante) (11/12/88)

kent@lloyd.UUCP (Kent Borg) writes:

>HIV is the name of the AIDS virus.  To be cute and name the internet
>worm after HIV is in very bad taste.

You want a name?

	"Planarian"

Why?  A planarian is a flatworm, as opposed to a segmented worm.
Flatworms often infect people and give them nasty deseases.  Segmented
worms are best known for cartoons about fishing, and being squished all
over the sidewalk on rainy spring days.

The Morris worm ran on two machines with "flat" memory spaces, VAXen and
Suns.  It didn't touch the most common segmented architectures, the
80x86 monsters.

(And it really had nothing to do with viruses, either biological or
computative.)
--
--    bob,mon			(bobmon@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu)
--    The Difficult Isn't Worth Doing.  The Impossible, We Delegate.

oster@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu (David Phillip Oster) (11/12/88)

Sigh, it will probably be called the "Morris Worm", but I think
the "Great Locked Net Worm" is a much better name.

By the way, I heard that Morris' mom said that "Shockwave Rider", by John
Brunner was just about his favorite book.  In that one, the forces of good
hold a tyrannical government at bay with a worm very similar to the Great
Locked Net Worm.

cjh@petsd.UUCP (Chris Henrich) (11/15/88)

In article <26780@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> oster@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu.UUCP (David Phillip Oster) writes:
>Sigh, it will probably be called the "Morris Worm", but I think
>the "Great Locked Net Worm" is a much better name.

Do you mean "The Locked Net Monster"?

Regards,
Chris

UUCP:       ...!rutgers!petsd!cjh
(201)758-7288    106 Apple Street, Tinton Falls,N.J. 07724