[comp.misc] Comparing Morris to a biology student

In article <79700016@p.cs.uiuc.edu> gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

>Why?  Consider this.  Ten years from now, a graduate student in
>biology decides to make a *REAL* virus.  He says, "geez, why hasn't
>the NIH innoculated the general population against this virus?
>Obviously, any strain of X, Y, or Z could mutate into this virus at
>any time, causing lots of harm!"  So secretly, he builds the virus.
>He intends to show off a weakend form of the virus, to get people to
>do something.  But before he finishes it, he makes a serious mistake,
>and the virus escapes in mutant form.  Millions of deaths follow.
>
>What would you do to this person?  How can you (ethically)
>differentiate between this graduate student and Robert Morris?

Your analogy has so many flaws, and is so ridiculous in general, that
I don't know where to begin the list.  Might as well just jump right
in with the most obvious one:

1. COMPUTERS ARE NOT PEOPLE.  A computer "virus" (actually, what
   Morris wrote was a worm) does not kill people.  It is a crime in
   every country in the world (as far as I know) to kill people, while
   the laws about "killing computers" are much less clear-cut.
   Attacking the general populace is quite different from attacking a
   computer network.

2. Morris' worm did no permanent damage, nor was it meant to.  Your
   analogy compares that to a virus that kills millions of people.
   Ridiculous.

3. Taking advantage of bugs in computer software is just a bit
   different from developing virus strains that can kill millions of
   people.  Do you really think that the probabilities of the two
   events you compared taking place are of similar magnitudes?  I
   don't think so at all.  I'm a sophomore undergraduate, and I'd say
   that *I* could probably write some really damaging code if I wanted
   to; on the other hand, I doubt that there are many sophomore
   biology students that can build a virus strain that can kill
   millions.

4. While it is (theoretically) possible to find all of the security
   bugs in Unix and fix them (Don't flame me on this, I know it isn't
   possible in practice, but the supposition I am making is that since
   the amount of code involved is finite, the number of security holes
   is finite.), it is certainly not possible to find every possible
   virus strain and inoculate (notice the spelling) every human being
   on the planet against all of those strains.  Therefore, it is
   unreasonable for the biology grad student to say, "People should be
   inoculated against this virus so I should prove it by releasing
   it!" while it *is* reasonable to ask why several known bugs in Unix
   software were not fixed.

5. The National Institute of Health pays a lot more attention to
   people who claim that they've discovered a new, dangerous virus
   than the Internet system administrators (apparently) payed to the
   discoverers of the sendmail hole and the fingerd bug.  If this grad
   student were to call up the NIH and say, "I've discovered a virus
   that can easily mutate from a common strain but that can cause
   massive sickness in the population," I suspect they'd listen and
   act.  This was obviously not the case with sendmail and fingerd.

6. You ask how we can "ethically" differentiate between the biology
   student and Morris.  I ask *you*, how can you ethically *compare*
   them?  I refuse to acknowledge even for a moment that slowing down
   or even destroying data (which Morris' worm did not do) on a few
   computers is in any way related to releasing a deadly virus into
   the atmosphere.  The two are simply not comparable, and should not
   be compared, when discussing moral issues.

7. Morris' alleged purpose in creating the worm was not to do any
   damage, or even to alert people to the security holes he exploited,
   but rather simply prove that it could be done.  His worm was simply
   supposed to live, while remaining undiscovered.  The same cannot be
   said for the student's virus presented in your scenario -- he
   intended to get people sick, even if only a minor sickness.

Well, I think I hit upon the major ones.  Anybody have anything to
add?

DISCLAIMER: All references to Morris in the text above refer to acts
  he is alleged to have committed, although it may not in fact be
  proven (or true) that he did, in fact, commit them.  All knowledge
  of his actions presented in this article were gained through
  publicly accessible sources such as newspaper articles and Usenet
  postings.  Furthermore, although I stated that I might have the
  ability to write damaging computer code, I have not done so and
  would not do so.

(Now *that's* a disclaimer)

  Jonathan Kamens
  MIT '91