[comp.misc] Desktop publishing systems?

vic@zen.UUCP (Victor Gavin) (11/27/88)

In article <2703@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu> richard@uhccux.UUCP (Richard Foulk) writes:
>} Doesn't anybody write document preperation systems for Hewlett-Packard
>} bit-mapped displays?
>}
>HP makes reasonable equipment.  But it's not usually very innovative.
>And it's often over-priced.  So it isn't usually as popular as some
>of its competitors.

All my experience with HP shows them to be very innovative, reliable and
extremely helpful. And this is in the UK :->

>At this point HP has to play catch up.  So even if they seem competitive
>now their reputation gets in their way.

I would even say that they've ``caught up''. When was the last time that you
had a look at the workstation market. HP has a massive presence. They vie with
Sun (having beaten Apollo and DEC) for the top share.

With the advent of X-windows which everyone and their dog is supplying, doesn't
it make sense to write workstation applications using X.

Then to port the software (in an ideal world) all you have to do is change the
system specific information (ie is it a BSD or SYSV box).

		vic
--
Victor Gavin						Zengrange Limited
vic@zen.co.uk						Greenfield Road

burzio@mmlai.UUCP (Anthony Burzio) (11/28/88)

In article <1431@zen.UUCP>, vic@zen.UUCP (Victor Gavin) writes:
> I would even say that they've ``caught up''. When was the last time that you
> had a look at the workstation market. HP has a massive presence. They vie with
> Sun (having beaten Apollo and DEC) for the top share.

Somebody at HP should wander down and shoot the marketing division.  The
HP products are absolutely wonderful compared to DEC and SUN stuff, but you
have to go to SIGGFRAPH to find out about them!  Come on folks! When
is the last time you saw an add for an HP computer in the press?  This game
is at least 40% image, and HP never even found the ball, let alone dropped it!
The wonderful HP Sales Reps can only do so much you know.  HP should look at
DEC, who sells equipment on reputation (PR) alone!!!

Tony Burzio          * HP is a wonderful company which is not really as
Martin Marietta Labs * bad as its' marketing would have it be...

irf@kuling.UUCP (Bo Thide) (11/28/88)

In article <1431@zen.UUCP> vic@zen.UUCP (Victor Gavin) writes:
>In article <2703@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu> richard@uhccux.UUCP (Richard Foulk) writes:
>>} Doesn't anybody write document preperation systems for Hewlett-Packard
>>} bit-mapped displays?
>>}
>>HP makes reasonable equipment.  But it's not usually very innovative.
>>And it's often over-priced.  So it isn't usually as popular as some
>>of its competitors.
In Sweden the cost of ownership is definitely less than any other
workstation.  Extremely low service contract costs is interesting
not only for people with little money but also for those with
little technical know-how.  The HPs just don't break.

>All my experience with HP shows them to be very innovative, reliable and
>extremely helpful. And this is in the UK :->
Yes, I agree.  And strongly so.  Ever heard of a thing called a laser
printer?  Think of a company who invented such a neat little gadget and has
sold 1 000 000 (one million) of them.  Same with a color ink jet printer
with laser printer resolution for under $ 1000.  Compare SPARC and HP-PA
and then tell me who is most innovative in computer architecture.

On the software side:
Do you know that there are at least 3 billion people in the world
who use another language than English as their mother tongue?  Do you
also know that most of these languages has a different and larger
alphabet than English?  That's why standard 7 bit ASCII is usefless
for all these people.  HP realized this at an early stage and has
created the Native Language Support (NLS) which is now part of the
X/Open standard.  NLS is a blessing for the UNIX mankind.
People do other things than writing games on their computers.  For
instance, many of us hook up instruments to them.  Real time UNIX
capabilities is what you need.  Kernel preemption is the trick.
Who came up with that innovative idea?  Sun? Apollo? (Guess who!)

>>At this point HP has to play catch up.  So even if they seem competitive
>>now their reputation gets in their way.
>
>I would even say that they've ``caught up''. When was the last time that you
>had a look at the workstation market. HP has a massive presence. They vie with
>Sun (having beaten Apollo and DEC) for the top share.
>
>With the advent of X-windows which everyone and their dog is supplying, doesn't
>it make sense to write workstation applications using X.
>
>Then to port the software (in an ideal world) all you have to do is change the
>system specific information (ie is it a BSD or SYSV box).
>
>		vic

I just got an e-mail message from ArborText saying they will finish their
X port of 'The Publisher', by summer 1989.  HP9000 will be target machines.
Finally, they seem to listen to market demands.

--Bo

   ^   Bo Thide'--------------------------------------------------------------
  | |       Swedish Institute of Space Physics, S-755 91 Uppsala, Sweden
  |I|    [In Swedish: Institutet f|r RymdFysik, Uppsalaavdelningen (IRFU)]
  |R|  Phone: (+46) 18-403000.  Telex: 76036 (IRFUPP S).  Fax: (+46) 18-403100
 /|F|\ INTERNET: bt@irfu.se   UUCP: ...!enea!kuling!irfu!bt   IP: 192.36.174.1
 ~~U~~ -----------------------------------------------------------------sm5dfw

awm@gould.doc.ic.ac.uk (Aled Morris) (11/29/88)

HP have a marketing presence in the UK, there is often a full page
colour advert in the trade papers (Computing, Computer Weekly, etc.) and
often in the newspapers too (at least in the Grauniad).

I wasn't at all impressed with their stand at the UK Unix exhibition last
summer (Alexandra Palace, I think).  Although they had a number of the
9000/3?? machines on demo, there was no-one at the show who knew anything
about hp-ux (h-pux as someone once said).  The guy who I talked to said
that they had just been at a CAD/CAM exhibition, where no-one had asked
them about Unix, so they didn't expect much hassle at the Unix show!

Aled Morris
systems programmer

    mail: awm@doc.ic.ac.uk    |    Department of Computing
    uucp: ..!ukc!icdoc!awm    |    Imperial College
    talk: 01-589-5111x5085    |    180 Queens Gate, London  SW7 2BZ

vic@zen.UUCP (Victor Gavin) (12/01/88)

In article <AWM.88Nov29144618@gould.doc.ic.ac.uk> awm@gould.doc.ic.ac.uk (Aled Morris) writes:
>HP have a marketing presence in the UK, there is often a full page
>colour advert in the trade papers (Computing, Computer Weekly, etc.) and
>often in the newspapers too (at least in the Grauniad).

Yes but this is seldom anything to do with their workstations. Most of the
adverts I see are for HP printers/plotters/instruments. When was the last time
that you saw an ad. saying how wonderful Precision Architecture was?

>                           there was no-one at the show who knew anything
>about hp-ux (h-pux as someone once said).  The guy who I talked to said
>that they had just been at a CAD/CAM exhibition, where no-one had asked
>them about Unix, so they didn't expect much hassle at the Unix show!

Typical. HP just haven't a clue. The perfect opportunity to show off and they
blow it!

>Aled Morris

			vic

jrich@devnet4.hac.com (john richardson) (12/07/88)

In article <1431@zen.UUCP> vic@zen.UUCP (Victor Gavin) writes:

>With the advent of X-windows which everyone and their dog is supplying, doesn't
>it make sense to write workstation applications using X.
>
>Then to port the software (in an ideal world) all you have to do is change the
>system specific information (ie is it a BSD or SYSV box).

In an ideal world, you might need do nothing!

John Richardson
jrich@devnet4.hac.com
Hughes Aircraft Company, Fullerton, Ca.
(714) 732-5588
Subject to the usual disclaimers as well as
all failings normally associated with the efforts of man.