[comp.misc] Summary of responses: Powering up

djlinse@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Dennis John Linse) (12/12/88)

I promised a summary of responses back in June.  It is probably about time
to do the summary.  I probably won't get anymore responses.  First my
original question and then the responses.  You will notice that they are
decidedly mixed.  No decision has been made around here except to leave
things as they are.  Quite the radical choice :-)

-------------------
From: msmith@topaz.rutgers.edu (Mark Robert Smith)

I'd say if you use them every day, leave them on all night.  I would
power them down for impending thunderstorms, as they get bad down your
way.
If you leave them on, be sure to turn off the monitor AND get a screen
blanker (automatic).

Mark
--------------------
From: steinmetz!davidsen@uunet.UU.NET (William E. Davidsen Jr)

  One of our repair people did a survey of how broken equipment was
used, and how long it had run before failure. He noted that daily power
cycling reduces equipment life, turning off on the weekend is a break
even. The only component which really has a lifetime in power on hours
is a hard disk.

  I leave mine on all the time, to run things in the background.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)
-----------------------
From: Michael Stevens <mstevens@tekig4.len.tek.com>

As a test engineer for a large company, and having worked on products
from power supplies to workstations and displays (terminals), the
greatest stress on a product is at poweron.  This is especially true for
products with switching supplies (which almost all major new products -
like IBMs - have) and display devices (CRT's / Monitors / Terminals).
Also, every time you power down a small magnetic flux occurs at the heads
of the hard and floppy disk devices, so if the heads are above data
portions of the memory at power on/off, the data can become weaker with
time.  Eventually it could be lost or become intermittent.
This gives a case for leaving the system on.

The greatest enemy of a computer system active memory device (floppy,
hard disk) is dirt.  By this I mean anything bigger than a small smoke
particle.
Another consideration is MTBF - mean time between failures.  This is a
number typically derived statistically given a base set of assumptions
on how often a system will be turned on/off and the effect that has on
the componets, as well as general use (like with drives).
This gives a case for turning the system off.

My recommendation:
 If you have a clean environment 24 hrs a day and fire protection (yup,
 the little buggers can catch fire all by themselves) leave your system
 up, but park the heads on the hard disks when they aren't in use.  By
 the way, this may lead to a security issue (unauthorized use).

 If you have janitors or a busy little clean freak (wife/husband) wandering
 around vacuuming whenever your system is running or if it is a very
 dusty day and you aren't in a controlled environment, shut it down.
 Your pocketbook will thank you.

 Typically, home users are best off turning them off since the on time is
 very small compared to the off time.  Also home is a dirty place.
 Office workers with their own machines are near the break even point
 (generally clean environments, systems in used ~10 hours per day).  If
 your system is used more than 12 hrs and its in a clean environment, I'd
 leave it on (but again, park the heads).

For what it's worth, and the opinions are solely my own, not as
professional advice thru my current employer.

Mike Stevens
--------------------------
From: Mr Jack Campin <jack%cs.glasgow.ac.uk@NSS.Cs.Ucl.AC.UK>

We keep our Mac hard disks on all the time, but turn the Macs off in the
evening. Seems to work; the disk is more likely to be damaged by switching
on, the Mac by continuous heat.
--------------------------
An IBM PC will fail after toggling the power switch 1000 times plus or
minus 100%.  This statistic circulated as an internal IBM memo during
alpha test.  A mac-II will fail if you look at it wrong ;-).  The
hardware design is young and fragile.  I suspect powering it down is
better because it cooks when running.

If the machines are used more than 12 hours per day, don't cycle power;
otherwise, expect failures after 5 years of daily use (1000 power-off/ons).

-Mitch
--
-Mitchell F. Wyle            wyle@ethz.uucp
Institut fuer Informatik     wyle%ifi.ethz.ch@relay.cs.net
From: umix!ames!elroy.jpl.nasa.gov!jplgodo!mustang!lex (Lex Mierop)

shut off the PC's
leave the unix box on
if the Laserwriter is used by the unix box at night, leave it on
I have no idea about the Mac II.
I too hate noisy fans.

The reasoning is as follows:
	no work gets done on the PCs at night.  If you get a power glitch
		at night you risk killing your PCs.
	unix boxes do stuff at night. leave 'em alone.
-----------------------------
From: rainier!carola!bertil@uunet.UU.NET (Bertil Reinhammar)

OK:

   At my workingplace we have some 15 SUN ( various ) another 40 (!) comming
   in during the autumn, a GOULD PN6000 unixbox, a VAX 750, a microVAX and
   IBM/AT.

   As far as I know, ALL machines are running 24h around. Possibly the users
   of IBM/AT turn theirs off due to bad noise problem. That also applies
   to SUN3/50 before fix of the fan.

   Why ? Well there is no reason to turn the stuff off unless it disturbs you.
   Even all the terminals are are left on unless they show a bad history.
   Most equipment simply gets more worn by turning off/on than being left
   on, once installed.

   Possibly one can argue that it consumes a lot off power. Probably cheaper
   than wearing on equipment and besides, it saves the heating bill for the
   house ( at least here in Sweden :-) which applies for all workstations.
   Machines in computer rooms with special cooling systems are very SELDOM
   turned off anyway.

   One last argument for turning off: It saves the screeen for the workstation.
   However, thet is a NULL reason since it is better to turn intensity down
   or have some kind of blank program running ( you know the kind having a small
   icon or something jumping around randomly so as to prevent burning marks .)
--------
--
Found at the top of a looonnng homework assignment:
   "Activity is the only road to knowledge"  G.B. Shaw