[comp.misc] I'm pro Russian

lvc@cbnews.ATT.COM (Lawrence V. Cipriani) (11/26/88)

but I'm anti Soviet!

Also, it is the GRU, the Soviet Military Intelligence, not the KGB,
that primarily spies on the West.  The KGB primarily spies on citizens
of the Soviet Empire.

So who exactly is going to be reading USENET in the Soviet Union.  Joe
Dissident?  Or a member in good standing of the Communist Party?  Who
do you think is allowed to have a ham radio in the Soviet Union?  Only
someone who is ideologically correct, that's who.

Still, the exchange from a USENET feed to the SU would be an interesting
experiment.  I'm sure they would like to participate in discussions with
immigrants (i.e. escapees) from the SU in talk.politics.soviet.

Why make it easier for Soviets to have access to technical information
or assistance?  How will a USENET connection enhance freedom in the SU?
I'm not being facecious, these questions deserve some attention.

--
Larry Cipriani, AT&T Network Systems, Columbus OH,

bill@twwells.uucp (T. William Wells) (11/26/88)

In article <2326@cbnews.ATT.COM> lvc@cbnews.ATT.COM (Lawrence V. Cipriani) writes:
: but I'm anti Soviet!

That makes at least two of us!

: So who exactly is going to be reading USENET in the Soviet Union.  Joe
: Dissident?  Or a member in good standing of the Communist Party?  Who
: do you think is allowed to have a ham radio in the Soviet Union?  Only
: someone who is ideologically correct, that's who.

A minor problem with this: member of the party doesn't necessarily
mean ideologically correct. It only means someone who hasn't been
caught out at being not ideologically correct.

And ideologically correct doesn't mean hopelessly corrupt, either.
Not, mind you, that I am defending party liners, just noting that
even they may be capable of independent thought.

:
: Why make it easier for Soviets to have access to technical information
: or assistance?  How will a USENET connection enhance freedom in the SU?
: I'm not being facecious, these questions deserve some attention.

Well, here's my reasoning. Consider that if the USSR wants to connect
to USENET, it is a small matter for them to set up an agent and a
machine. So, if USENET is of any importance to them, they have
already set up such a machine.

In any case, the savings they would obtain through this is certainly
small. It is the difference between setting up an agent and a machine
outside the USSR and inside the USSR. Certainly not a lot of money.

This is balanced against the fact that *any* information sent into
the USSR is destabilizing. One of the things holding the empire
together is its tight control of information.

Consider the effect on some Soviet scientist of say, my casual
discussion of the '386 machine *that I own and have complete freedom
to use*. I can sense the drools already. :-)

Consider the comparison that any intelligent mind will make between
the censorship that is routine in the USSR vs. the anarchic nature of
the USENET.

Consider having repeatedly rubbed in one's face the fact that one's
country, through its own folly, is somewhere between five and ten
years behind, technologically.

Consider the possible countering of Soviet propaganda.

---

All of this depends on the USSR's not censoring the USENET feed.
Might I suggest that the feed ought to be made contingent on the lack
of censorship?

---
Bill
{uunet|novavax}!proxftl!twwells!bill

tneff@dasys1.UUCP (Tom Neff) (11/27/88)

In article <2326@cbnews.ATT.COM> lvc@cbnews.ATT.COM (Lawrence V. Cipriani) writes:
>So who exactly is going to be reading USENET in the Soviet Union.  Joe
>Dissident?  Or a member in good standing of the Communist Party?  Who
>do you think is allowed to have a ham radio in the Soviet Union?  Only
>someone who is ideologically correct, that's who.

Who do you think reads USENET in the US - Dennis Banks of AIM and the
political prisoners of the Lexington Women's Unit?  No, it's computing
community types by and large.  Sorry, that's just the nature of the
net.  Bridging it to the USSR would not be for the purpose of bringing
rec.sport.auto to the Gulag, it would be for exchanging insights on
computing with folks just like us (modulo differing cultural parameters)
over there.

>Still, the exchange from a USENET feed to the SU would be an interesting
>experiment.  I'm sure they would like to participate in discussions with
>immigrants (i.e. escapees) from the SU in talk.politics.soviet.

Hah!  As fragile as this link is likely to be, if you think some CS prof
in Kiev is going to jeopardize his access by getting into political
arguments with decadent Westerners you have another think coming.
In fact, just to keep temptation at a minimum, I would hope that
Ambassador Crunch would not gateway t.p.s or similar powderkeg groups.

>Why make it easier for Soviets to have access to technical information
>or assistance?

The answer lies in which Soviets we're talking about.  Look -- someone
in the computing arm of the GRU who wants to know about the latest
expert system from Stanford, or how to debug an 8250 UART, probably has
all the technical resources he needs to find out.  He doesn't need
Usenet, and though I'm sure digests are available to Soviet
intelligence (courtesy our European gateways if nothing else -- flip
those mattresses back over, folks!), it doesn't strike me as likely
they pay all that much attention except for amusement.  (Secure areas
of Arpanet are another matter, and I offer no opinion in that regard.)
But now consider another kind of Soviet - a senior at a technical
school in Leningrad, say, who has been hacking away at his own PC or
his school's for several years, has some astonishing neat little
programs he's passed around locally, and is dying to know about what
the rest of the world is up to.  When he has a question, he doesn't
have the nice GRU Library to browse through.  He only knows what he
can figure out himself, plus whatever six month old popular press
magazines have been brought into the country and handed around.  To
him, Usenet would be an unbelievable godsend.  And to us, having him
on the net would be an unparallelled source of edification and amusement.
This is the Soviet we want to give access to technical information,
not his well-endowed counterparts in the government who don't need it
anyway.

>               How will a USENET connection enhance freedom in the SU?
>I'm not being facecious, these questions deserve some attention.
               --->t

That it enhance freedom per se in the USSR ought not to be a
requirement for the bridge to be established; there are benefits to
both sides even if freedom is left at present levels as a result.
Nevertheless, if one particularly wishes to enhance Soviet freedom, I
believe this will contribute in a small way.  Information itself is
freedom, and empowerment.  We need only establish that access is indeed
being extended to that tech school senior in my example above, and the
boost to Soviet freedom will be assured.
--
Tom Neff			UUCP: ...!cmcl2!phri!dasys1!tneff
	"None of your toys	CIS: 76556,2536	       MCI: TNEFF

lvc@cbnews.ATT.COM (Lawrence V. Cipriani) (11/28/88)

Before I give anyone else the impression that I'm a knee jerk Anti-Soviet
I'm not.  I can see the value in corrupting the Soviet system with a USENET
feed, and yes it would be interesting to have the technical exchange with
our counterparts in the Soviet Union.  However, I remain unconviced that
help to someone I don't know in the Soviet Union is in my long term self
interest or national interest.

I really do like helping people with technical problems.  But how can
I be certain that the help I give will not be used against me someday?
In general one can't, and when it involves a nation that has missiles
pointed at me I'll not get involved thank you.  I'd like to make friends
of people in the Soviet Union, but how do I know who I can trust?  The
university student I help just may end up in the GRU or KGB someday.  No
thanks.

I once heard that the best Iron Curtain hackers were dissidents.  Now I
really would like to help them out!  This may be enough of a reason for
me to get involved in an exchange.

In article <7961@dasys1.UUCP>, tneff@dasys1.UUCP (Tom Neff) writes:
> Who do you think reads USENET in the US - Dennis Banks of AIM and the
> political prisoners of the Lexington Women's Unit?
Of course not silly; being a bit rude aren't you?

> No, it's computing community types by and large.  Sorry, that's just the
> nature of the net.
I know, and don't lecture someone that's been reading USENET since its
beginning how its used.

I wrote:
>>Why make it easier for Soviets to have access to technical information
>>or assistance?
>
> The answer lies in which Soviets we're talking about...
I'm unconviced that I can make a distinction about who to help and who
not to help.

And me again:
>>               How will a USENET connection enhance freedom in the SU?
>>I'm not being facecious, these questions deserve some attention.

> That it enhance freedom per se in the USSR ought not to be a
> requirement for the bridge to be established; there are benefits to
> both sides even if freedom is left at present levels as a result.

The benefits to both sides in such relations with the Soviet Union are
usually that they benefit more than we do.  A USENET feed doesn't seem
to be any different.

> Nevertheless, if one particularly wishes to enhance Soviet freedom, I
> believe this will contribute in a small way.  Information itself is
> freedom, and empowerment.

I agree, however, how much that increase in freedom will be offset by
a more efficient coercive Soviet system is unknown.  I tend to believe
it will be more than offset by it, a lot of people tend to believe the
opposite, or don't have an opinion.  You just can't be certain.

> We need only establish that access is indeed being extended to that tech
> school senior in my example above, and the boost to Soviet freedom will
> be assured.

Maybe so, but I need more evidence before I change my mind.

--
Larry Cipriani, AT&T Network Systems, Columbus OH,

lee@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Greg Lee) (11/28/88)

From article <2338@cbnews.ATT.COM>, by lvc@cbnews.ATT.COM (Lawrence V. Cipriani):
" ...  However, I remain unconviced that
" help to someone I don't know in the Soviet Union is in my long term self
" interest or national interest.

So don't be convinced.  Is anyone who has a different opinion really a
traitor?
		Greg, lee@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu

ok@quintus.uucp (Richard A. O'Keefe) (11/28/88)

In article <2338@cbnews.ATT.COM> lvc@cbnews.ATT.COM (Lawrence V. Cipriani) writes:
>I really do like helping people with technical problems.  But how can
>I be certain that the help I give will not be used against me someday?
>In general one can't, and when it involves a nation that has missiles
>pointed at me I'll not get involved thank you.

When I was in the UK, I several times saw in the press the comment
that the USA has missiles pointed at the UK.  There are reasons why this
is credible, though I reserve judgement.  Did this stop people in the UK
who believed it posting helpfully to Usenet?  Nope.  By this criterion,
we should refuse all assistance to anyone working for our own governments
(people raving about guns in misc.legal evidently believe it likely that
the USA government will become oppressive and need to be resisted by force).

>I'd like to make friends of people in the Soviet Union, but how do I know
>who I can trust?  The university student I help just may end up in the GRU
>or KGB someday.  No thanks.

I'm reminded of a USAn author on programming methods who described having
been at a conference where someone came up to him and gushed about how
enormously helpful the author's books had been to him in his work.  The
author lapped this up for a while, and then said "by the way, what do you
do?"  "Oh, I work on ICBMs."  The author told his readers that he had never
been more depressed.  The university student you help *here* may do just
such work some day.  Should we drop Usenet *here* for that reason?  If you
don't think that working on nuclear weapons is so bad, how about the people
providing computer support for the South African police?

Who to trust?  The point has been well made that for low-grade technical
information such as Usenet provides, the KGB, GRU, and the rest *already*
have access if they want it.  Consider comp.arch, for example.  There is
nothing discussed there which is not publicly available, in manuals,
letters patent, &c.  If you consider comp.unix.{questions,wizards}, there's
nothing there that couldn't be answered by reading the sources, and I am
absolutely certain that the Soviets have V7 sources, and would wager a
large sum that they either have the V.3 sources or don't want them.  And
so it goes.

What about the possibility of information flowing the other way?
I think it would be useful to have some of the sci.* groups coming
from the SU.  And would the CIA obtain no benefit from knowing the
names of individuals who are that interested in the West?

In article <2719@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu>, lee@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Greg Lee) writes:
> From article <2338@cbnews.ATT.COM>, by lvc@cbnews.ATT.COM (Lawrence V. Cipriani):
> " ...  However, I remain unconviced that
> " help to someone I don't know in the Soviet Union is in my long term self
> " interest or national interest.
>
> So don't be convinced.  Is anyone who has a different opinion really a
> traitor?
> 		Greg, lee@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu

No.  I think someone that actually *helps or trades* the Soviet Union is a
traitor to anyone that has tried to escape it, and to anyone that has fought
for the free world, and against me personally.

--
Larry Cipriani, AT&T Network Systems, Columbus OH,

sbelcas@hvrunix.UUCP (Sarah Belcastro) (11/28/88)

In article <2338@cbnews.ATT.COM>, lvc@cbnews.ATT.COM (Lawrence V. Cipriani) writes:
> I really do like helping people with technical problems.  But how can
> I be certain that the help I give will not be used against me someday?
>
> The benefits to both sides in such relations with the Soviet Union are
> usually that they benefit more than we do.  A USENET feed doesn't seem
> to be any different.

My quarrel with you is this:  Does it matter that they receive more benefit
from the link than we?  We are all human and we should help each other out.
You seem to be really fearful of people whom i doubt would be in a position
to use anything against you, unless you plan on travelling to the Soviet
Union.  And, in my opinion, it shouldn't really matter whether there is a
possibility of "THEM" using the fact that you helped someone against you.
If people always refused to help others at the threat of personal harm,
where would we be today?

I firmly believe that humans are meant to help each other and make each
other's lives better, thereby making the world a happier place.  It's not
as if it would be particularly inconvenient to answer a question on a
network to which one ordinarily posts.

				--sarah marie belcastro.

				Bitnet: s_belcastro@hvrford

				(our mail seems to be bouncing at Drexel.)

merlyn@intelob.biin.com (Randal L. Schwartz @ Stonehenge) (11/29/88)

In article <2338@cbnews.ATT.COM>, lvc@cbnews (Lawrence V. Cipriani) writes:
|					 However, I remain unconviced that
| help to someone I don't know in the Soviet Union is in my long term self
| interest or national interest.
|
| I really do like helping people with technical problems.  But how can
| I be certain that the help I give will not be used against me someday?

Replace the "someone I don't know in the Soviet Union" with "someone I
don't know at {DEC,HP,Intel,Tandem,IBM...}".  Same argument applies.
Don't tell me that economic freedom is any different than political
freedom... there are millions of people right here in the good-old
U.S. of A. that are prisoners of economic circumstances, and living a
life comparable or worse than the average Soviet citizen.  (Heck, even
as a successful small business owner, I'm beginning to wonder about
the American system...)

Maybe I'm an optimist, but someone once told me that you can't hate
anyone you truely know.  I've found lots of evidence for that.  People
that state otherwise must not have tested the waters.

And, how come this is in comp.misc, and not talk.political.whatever?
Oh well.

Actually, I vote for *not* sending them USENET.  The resulting death
of productivity (from time spent reading USENET) at such a crucial
stage in Soviet technological development would be sufficient
motiviation to launch a first strike.  :-) :-) :-)
--
Randal L. Schwartz, Stonehenge Consulting Services (503)777-0095
on contract to BiiN Technical Information Services (for now :-),

bill@twwells.uucp (T. William Wells) (11/29/88)

In article <2338@cbnews.ATT.COM> lvc@cbnews.ATT.COM (Lawrence V. Cipriani) writes:
: Before I give anyone else the impression that I'm a knee jerk Anti-Soviet
: I'm not.  I can see the value in corrupting the Soviet system with a USENET
: feed, and yes it would be interesting to have the technical exchange with
: our counterparts in the Soviet Union.  However, I remain unconviced that
: help to someone I don't know in the Soviet Union is in my long term self
: interest or national interest.

Here is what I've said about a Soviet newsfeed:

1) The Soviets can already get any information they want from the
   USENET.  It is very easy for *anyone* to get on the net.

2) Therefore, the only thing that a feed directly to them can effect
   is the cost of the information. It can't affect *what* information
   they get from the net.

3) It is an arguable proposition that lesser expense of a non-
   clandestine feed to the Soviet empire is outweighed by its
   possible destabilizing effects.

I happen to believe that the destabilizing effect is the more
important. However, that's just an opinion; we don't have the facts.

: I really do like helping people with technical problems.  But how can
: I be certain that the help I give will not be used against me someday?

However, there is one benefit that a known Soviet feed gives you: you
can refrain from answering Soviet questions. There are two
possibilities: if they maintain their clandestine feeds, they now
have an additional cost, the cost of the known feed. This eliminates
the cost argument against the feed.  If they don't maintain their
clandestine feed, then you *know* when you might be contributing to
the Soviet empire's welfare.

There is another benefit to us and our intelligence agencies: the
nature of the questions coming over the feed is information about the
state of the Soviet empire.

---
Bill
{uunet|novavax}!proxftl!twwells!bill

lvc@cbnews.ATT.COM (Lawrence V. Cipriani) (11/29/88)

My last posting on this worn out topic (unless somebody gets rude and I
have to be rude too).

So what will be accomplished with a USENET connection to Moscow University?
I agree that it will mainly transfer some low grade technical information
into the USSR.  I agree that it won't make any difference to the KGB or
GRU.  What I want is to make life as difficult as possible for anyone living
there so they want to leave or demand real reforms.  I'm opposed to anything
that makes the USSR a better place to live.  If you don't share this opinion
fine, just be sure to tell it to at least one escapee from the USSR.

Any information that flows out of the USSR is no doubt carefully screened
and low grade.  A lot of the technical journals from the USSR contain a
lot of junk.  You really have to sift thought a lot to find something good,
sort of like USENET.

My earlier statement about the roles of the KGB and GRU is not accurate.
The KGB, I'm sure, has a very big role in the US.  However, it is
fundamentally different than that of the GRU.

US missiles pointed at the UK?  Nah, they're pointed at France :-(
The people that I'm most concerned with in western gov't aren't the
technical types; it's the policy making, power hungry bureaucrats that
scare me.  However I'm more nervous about helping someone, no matter who
they are, from the USSR than just about anywhere else in the world.  I
can't worry about *everything* that I do and how it may harm me someday.
I've got better things to do.

Like I said before, once the USSR permits free immigration to all their
citizens I'll believe they are civilized.

--
Larry Cipriani, AT&T Network Systems, Columbus OH,

baron@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Baron Fujimoto) (11/29/88)

^
^So don't be convinced.  Is anyone who has a different opinion really a
^traitor?
^		Greg, lee@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu

  Hear! Hear!    (killing two birds with one stone...  :-)

	       Baron, baron@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu
--
INTERNET:	baron@uuccux.uucc.hawaii.edu     |
BITNET:		baron@uhccux.bitnet              |  "Make beans into peas!"

schraudo@beowulf.ucsd.edu (Nici Schraudolph) (11/29/88)

Here are my 2c as a European who has been following this discussion:
The upshot of all this seems to be that everyone agrees that the proposed
usenet hook-up to the S.U. would help Soviet users - the disagreement is
mostly about whether you want to help them at all!

Get real guys! No one is going to obtain any sensitive information through
the public net - and if you don't want to help a perfectly ordinary Soviet
citizen with everyday problems go see the shrink about your paranoia! You
don't even realise that you are just as much a victim of OUR propaganda
machine as they are of theirs - in fact the Russians are in my experience
the better educated and politically open-minded people!

You heard right, yes, our propaganda machine: we do have it, it is only
better concealed in the private media. Basic computing theory should even
tell you that ours (decentralised control, highly parallel) is likely to
be much more powerful than theirs (central control, highly sequential).
The proof is right here in the enormous volume of preconceived, biased,
even naive views of life in the Soviet Union that that have been voiced
in this discussion.

I admit I am not immune to infiltration by the media - there is an antidote,
however, that I like to use: frequent exposure to other cultures - travel!
The more places I've been to, the more I realise that people are people,
politicians are mostly corrupt, and military should be dumped in outer space
wherever you find them, including both in the U.S. and the S.U.!

All you have to do is travel to Europe, and the distinction between OUR
rockets and THEIR rockets is meaningless: my West German hometown, for
example, would in case of nuclear warfare be destroyed by a FRENCH warhead
- does that mean that I should consider France an enemy? I have friends in
places aimed at by French, British, American, Russian, Chinese missiles.

Have you ever thought about how YOU (sorry about the generalisation) could
benefit from this link? Like, getting some better idea about how life in
the S.U. really is (as opposed to the picture Hollywood has installed in
your brains)? Omigosh, you might even learn something from their scientists!
Did you know that the Russians are world leading in mathematics, laser eye
surgery, therapy for autistic children, to name but a few? I bet you were
surprised that they got ATs over there (all smuggled in from the U.S. by
KGB [sic] spies, of course :-)

Sorry about the length and semi-flame nature of this, but I have silently
endured the glorious ignorance the majority of Americans exhibit when it
comes to international affairs for half a year now: ever since I moved
here. I just had to get this off my chest now.

--
   "Language is a Virus from Outer Space"  -  William S. Burroughs
#  Nici Schraudolph                          nschraudolph@ucsd.edu  #

bader+@andrew.cmu.edu (Miles Bader) (11/29/88)

lvc@cbnews.ATT.COM (Lawrence V. Cipriani) writes:
> So what will be accomplished with a USENET connection to Moscow University?
> I agree that it will mainly transfer some low grade technical information
> into the USSR.  I agree that it won't make any difference to the KGB or
> GRU.  What I want is to make life as difficult as possible for anyone living
> there so they want to leave or demand real reforms.  I'm opposed to anything
> that makes the USSR a better place to live.  If you don't share this opinion
> fine, just be sure to tell it to at least one escapee from the USSR.

God forbid that a political system you don't agree with should make
it's citizens happy!  Aren't you being a bit arrogant, deciding what
other people should want?  Maybe (just maybe) they have different
priorities than you...

-Miles

mml@srhqla.UUCP (Michael Levin) (11/30/88)

In article <208@twwells.uucp> bill@twwells.UUCP (T. William Wells) writes:

>This is balanced against the fact that *any* information sent into
>the USSR is destabilizing. One of the things holding the empire
>together is its tight control of information.

	That's their problem, not ours.

>Consider the effect on some Soviet scientist of say, my casual
>discussion of the '386 machine *that I own and have complete freedom
>to use*. I can sense the drools already. :-)

	That's how I used to feel when I was 13, and my (older) friends
talked about their cars.  Again, that's their problem, not ours.

>Consider the comparison that any intelligent mind will make between
>the censorship that is routine in the USSR vs. the anarchic nature of
>the USENET.

	That's their problem, not ours.

>Consider having repeatedly rubbed in one's face the fact that one's
>country, through its own folly, is somewhere between five and ten
>years behind, technologically.
>
>Consider the possible countering of Soviet propaganda.

	Yeah.

>All of this depends on the USSR's not censoring the USENET feed.
>Might I suggest that the feed ought to be made contingent on the lack
>of censorship?

Isn't that a form of censorship?  I'll show you mine, but only if...

That isn't the right spirit.  Our decision as to whether or not to allow
our 'comrades' in the USSR to participate should be purely motivated on our
own selfish (or altruistic, if you prefer) reasons.  Why do you want to even
occupy your mind thinking about all the things that their government is
doing wrong, right, or whatever??  The Soviets are people, as are the French,
the Americans, the Italians, or whatever.  I don't see the issue!!  If some-
one over there can set up a UUCP connection, or whatever, then let them.  If
a site that connects to the rest of the net is willing to give someone a
feed, so be it.  Just like that.  The way *WE* (anarchistically) like to do
things.  After all, anything on USENET isn't exactly a *secret*.  Somebody
once said, if three people know something it isn't a secret anymore.  I
happen to agree.  If 100,000 people have access to something, you may as
well put it on the 6:00 news, or the front page of the paper.  Or on the
Soviet hookup to USENET.

				Enough said,

				Mike Levin

--
+----+         P L E A S E    R E S P O N D   T O:     +------+-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
+-------------------------------------------------------------+-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

aem@ibiza.Miami.Edu (a.e.mossberg) (11/30/88)

In <2365@cbnews.ATT.COM>, <lvc@cbnews.ATT.COM> wrote:
>So what will be accomplished with a USENET connection to Moscow University?
>I agree that it will mainly transfer some low grade technical information
>into the USSR.  I agree that it won't make any difference to the KGB or
>GRU.  What I want is to make life as difficult as possible for anyone living
>there so they want to leave or demand real reforms.  I'm opposed to anything
>that makes the USSR a better place to live.  If you don't share this opinion
>fine, just be sure to tell it to at least one escapee from the USSR.

We have several professors here from the Soviet Union with whom I've discussed both
recent Soviet reforms and elctronic information exchange. These are not visiting,
they are naturalized citizens of the US.  *All* of them applaud the changes under
Misha and feel that better communication between the peoples of the super-powers
can only benefit everybody.

>Like I said before, once the USSR permits free immigration to all their
>citizens I'll believe they are civilized.

You mean "emigration".  I agree that there should be free emigration allowed.
The Soviet Union is not alone in restricting emigration. Israel is also guilty
of this.

aem

a.e.mossberg    -    aem@mthvax.miami.edu    -    aem@mthvax.span (3.91)
Labor creates all wealth.

dtynan@sultra.UUCP (Der Tynan) (11/30/88)

In article <2354@cbnews.ATT.COM>, lvc@cbnews.ATT.COM (Lawrence V. Cipriani) writes:

> No.  I think someone that actually *helps or trades* the Soviet Union is a
> traitor to anyone that has tried to escape it, and to anyone that has fought
> for the free world, and against me personally.
>
> Larry Cipriani, AT&T Network Systems, Columbus OH,

Ronald Reagan *refuses* to impose strict sanctions against the South African
Government.  What does that make him?

As for your point about helping people with bombs pointed toward you.  Well,
I'm from Ireland, and you can bet the farm that Shannon Airport (the most
westerly airfield in Europe) is an American target.  I'm currently under
contract to a defense company.  Does that make a difference?  I think not.

Overall, I think your stance reeks of McCarthyism.  The only way to improve
relations with 'your adversaries', is by better communication, and under-
standing.  Unless, of course, you'd like to keep your notions of the SU as
the great oppressor.  Good versus Evil, etc.  The ony way to make this planet
a better place, is by trying to remove the hatred and fear between different
groups.  That can only be done by realizing that the opposite group is made
up of people like ourselves, and by seeing things from the other persons
point of view.

As a further point of discussion, I think we should amend the discussion as
to whether or not to swap news with the USSR, but whether or not to swap
"ussr.all" with the USSR.  That way, people posting to those groups know
where it is going, and people worried about 'sensitive data' can keep it
away from ussr.sources.  Comments?
						- Der
--
	dtynan@zorba.Tynan.COM  (Dermot Tynan @ Tynan Computers)
	{apple,mips,pyramid,uunet}!Tynan.COM!dtynan

 ---  If the Law is for the People, then why do we need Lawyers? ---

mikew@tarfoo.wyse.com (Mike Wexler) (11/30/88)

If the GRU can make a long distance phone call, they can already get
access to USENET without having anyone in the United States devoted
to reading or copying it.  All they have to do is set up an account
on Portal or UUNET and dial it from Moscow.  They can setup a billing
address in the US without much difficulty.
Mike Wexler(wyse!mikew or mikew@wyse.com)    Phone: (408)433-1000 x1330
Moderator of comp.sources.x

marcel@mlogic.UUCP (Marcel Samek) (11/30/88)

In article <5569@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU> nschraudolph@ucsd.edu (Nici Schraudolph) writes:

>Here are my 2c as a European who has been following this discussion:

More specifically you are a Western European. I am an American who
originally comes from Eastern Europe, and with all due respect I think
that your posting illustrates that simply being from Europe, as you
are, does not spare you from exhibiting the same 'glorious ignorance'
which you accuse Americans of having a monopoly on.

> [miscellaneous ramblings on 'propaganda machines' deleted]

>The proof is right here in the enormous volume of preconceived, biased,
>even naive views of life in the Soviet Union that that have been voiced
>in this discussion.

Yes, I agree with you perfectly.  Many (if not most)  Americans have
frustratingly naive notions of what life behind the iron curtain is really
like.  Their ideas, however, are not naive because they have biased and
negative preconceptions; their ideas are naive because they are clueless as
to how opressive and dehumanizing life behind the iron curtain really is.
In this resepect, as a 'European' who considers himself as liberated
from the ignorance which blinds Americans, I find that you a lot more naive
and blind than those you complain about.

>I admit I am not immune to infiltration by the media - there is an antidote,
>however, that I like to use: frequent exposure to other cultures - travel!
>The more places I've been to, the more I realise that people are people,
>politicians are mostly corrupt, and military should be dumped in outer space
>wherever you find them, including both in the U.S. and the S.U.!

I think that maybe you ought to try living in Czechoslovakia, for example,
for a while. If, after that, you still judge politicians on both sides of
the iron curtain by the same scale then I think that your naivete springs
not from ignorance but rather an insitence on seeing the world the way
you want to see it.

>All you have to do is travel to Europe, and the distinction between OUR
>rockets and THEIR rockets is meaningless: my West German hometown, for

Yes, and during WWII, as far as any soldier caught in a crossfire was
concerned, the difference between German bullets and American bullets was
also meaningless; he would get killed by either.  The situation then,
however, was more important than can be judged by which bullet took one
soldiers life, and the situation now is more complicated than whose bomb
destroys your hometown, or all of Germany for that matter. If you really
believe what you write here, then your arrogance and ignorance is a poor
reflection on the intellectual and moral attitudes of those 'Europeans'
who consider themselves untarnished by American naivete.

>Have you ever thought about how YOU (sorry about the generalisation) could
>benefit from this link? Like, getting some better idea about how life in

Yes I am sure that many Westerners would benefit by direct contact with
those behind the iron curtain.  I am also sure that many individuals behind
the iron curtain would benefit by direct contacts with Westerners.  I have
no quarrel with either.  I do, however, vehemently oppose the
legitimization of tyrannical regimes by continued normal relations.  The
Soviets and their puppet states wish desperately to be recognized as
legitimate players in western life; the tearing down of communication
barriers by the free world is an indication of such acceptance.  Whether it
benefits 'us', or 'them', until the totalitarian regimes in the Eastern
block grant some basic human rights to the citizens of those countries, I
consider it very naive and short sighted to pretend that 'they' are just
like 'us'.

>Sorry about the length and semi-flame nature of this, but I have silently
>endured the glorious ignorance the majority of Americans exhibit when it
>comes to international affairs for half a year now: ever since I moved
>here. I just had to get this off my chest now.

I honestly sympathize with you since I feel the same frustration as you do,
just from a different viewpoint.  At the risk of being accused of
generalizing as grossly as you did, I will conclude with this blatant
flame.  My frustration at the general ignorance of Americans when it comes
to international affairs is only exceeded by my frustration at the
arrogance which Western Europeans exhibit when it comes to the same topic.
My general impression is that many do not care what kind of squalor or
oppression the rest of the world lives in as long as they themselves are
not threatened in any manner.  It is sad to see such pervasive self
centerdness and short sightedness in countries which I feel close ties to
and feel very fond of.

--
Marcel A. Samek                      | Media Logic Incorporated
				     | 2501 Colorado Blvd. Suite 350
ARPA: mlogic!marcel@unisys.sm.com    | Santa Monica, CA 90404
UUCP: ...sdcrdcf!mlogic!marcel       | (213) 453-7744

per@kps.UUCP (Per Ejeklint /EFS) (11/30/88)

In article <2354@cbnews.ATT.COM> lvc@cbnews.ATT.COM (Lawrence V. Cipriani) writes:
>No.  I think someone that actually *helps or trades* the Soviet Union is a
>traitor to anyone that has tried to escape it, and to anyone that has fought
>for the free world, and against me personally.

AARGH! And you say you don't believe in capital punishment? You won't put
a traitor in the electric chair, but you will refuse to give help that
could, maybe, help the process of liberation for 200 million people!
--
"The choir sang a capella, which means singing without music."
------------

scrane@cs.tcd.ie (Stephen Crane) (11/30/88)

In article <2365@cbnews.ATT.COM>,lvc@cbnews.ATT.COM (Lawrence V. Cipriani)
writes:
>My last posting on this worn out topic (unless somebody gets rude and I
>have to be rude too).
This is not a very mature attitude, if I may say so :->

>What I want is to make life as difficult as possible for anyone living
>there so they want to leave or demand real reforms.  I'm opposed to anything
>that makes the USSR a better place to live.
These two statements are contradictorary, in the first you say that you want
to make life as difficult as possible...to demand real reforms, in the second
you say that you are opposed to making the SU a better place to live.  My
deduction from this statement is that either you should refrain from making
life as difficult as possible (for otherwise it might become a better place
to live due to the ``real reforms'') or you should think before you post.

>If you don't share this opinion
>fine, just be sure to tell it to at least one escapee from the USSR.
This statement is incomprehensible to me.  Perhaps you could rephrase it.

>The people that I'm most concerned with in western gov't aren't the
>technical types; it's the policy making, power hungry bureaucrats that
>scare me.
I agree whole-heartedly!

>However I'm more nervous about helping someone, no matter who
>they are, from the USSR than just about anywhere else in the world.
Why is this exactly?  This is the eighties, man, not the fifties!

>Like I said before, once the USSR permits free immigration to all their
						^^^^^^^^^^^
Surely you mean emigration?
>citizens I'll believe they are civilized.

>--
>Larry Cipriani, AT&T Network Systems, Columbus OH,

Stephen Crane, Department of Computer Science, Trinity College Dublin 2.
``Sheltering under the west's nuclear umbrella, without paying a penny''
---Michael Heseltine

anna@vedge.UUCP (Anna Kochanowska) (12/01/88)

In article <7961@dasys1.UUCP> tneff@dasys1.UUCP (Tom Neff) writes:

>Who do you think reads USENET in the US - Dennis Banks of AIM and the
>political prisoners of the Lexington Women's Unit?  No, it's computing
>community types by and large.  Sorry, that's just the nature of the
>net.  Bridging it to the USSR would not be for the purpose of bringing
>rec.sport.auto to the Gulag, it would be for exchanging insights on
>computing with folks just like us (modulo differing cultural parameters)
>over there.

Have you ever read _Homo Sovieticus_ of Zinowiew ?
--
   The views expressed are those of the writer, and not of
    Visual Edge, or of the Usenet.

jrk@s1.sys.uea.ac.uk (Richard Kennaway CMP RA) (12/01/88)

In article <2365@cbnews.ATT.COM>, lvc@cbnews.ATT.COM (Lawrence V. Cipriani) writes:
>       What I want is to make life as difficult as possible for anyone living
> there so they want to leave or demand real reforms.

If *you* harass them, they will blame *you*.  "Ah", you say, "get rid
of your government and I'll stop".

When people make this argument with bombs, we call them terrorists.  Denying
USENET access wont kill anyone, but there is no other moral difference.

> I'm opposed to anything that makes the USSR a better place to live.

Duh...  You mean that if the Soviet Government instituted freedom of speech,
movement, and religion, tomorrow, you would be opposed?  Or were you half
asleep when you penned that sentence?
--
Richard Kennaway                SYS, University of East Anglia, Norwich, U.K.
uucp:	...mcvax!ukc!uea-sys!jrk	Janet:	kennaway@uk.ac.uea.sys

smryan@garth.UUCP (Steven Ryan) (12/01/88)

Next you'll be telling us if you cut a Russian, they'll bleed.
--
                                                   -- s m ryan
+------------------------------------------------------+-----------------------+

In article <5569@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU>, schraudo@beowulf.ucsd.edu (Nici Schraudolph) writes:
> Get real guys! No one is going to obtain any sensitive information through
> the public net - and if you don't want to help a perfectly ordinary Soviet
> citizen with everyday problems go see the shrink about your paranoia!

	This is absolutely true!  My organization has been on the Net for
over four years now, during which time I have read virtually every newsgroup
and article which could conceivably contain "sensitive" information.  With
the exception of a few snatches of AT&T UNIX source code, I have never
seen anything which by any stretch of the imagination even comes close to
being militarily "sensitive" (or "company confidential", for that matter).

	For those readers who are naive enough to feel that any Net articles
may be "sensitive", go visit your library and examine a few copies of
periodicals such as "Defense Electronics" or "Microwave Systems News".
Compare THAT material which is freely in the public domain with the details
given in any Net article about any defense-related topic.

	I am neither in favor of, nor opposed to any Net connection with the
Soviet Union, but I feel compelled to make the above point.

<>  Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp., Clarence, New York
<>  UUCP:  {allegra|ames|boulder|decvax|rutgers|watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry
<>  VOICE: 716/688-1231          {att|hplabs|mtune|utzoo|uunet}!/
<>  FAX:   716/741-9635 {G1,G2,G3 modes}   "Have you hugged your cat today?"

cl@datlog.co.uk (Charles Lambert) (12/01/88)

In article <2365@cbnews.ATT.COM> lvc@cbnews.ATT.COM (Lawrence V. Cipriani) writes:
>So what will be accomplished with a USENET connection to Moscow University?

Oh Larry!  They might just be interesting (and even enlightening) people to
converse with.  Perhaps your prejudice doesn't permit the term "people"
to be applied to citizens of the Soviet Union?

Time to go back to your bunker, Larry.

----------
Charlie

anna@vedge.UUCP (Anna Kochanowska) (12/02/88)

I suggest trying to know Russians better.
There is well known russian scientist (sociologist) Zinowiew, leaving
(I am not quite sure) in Munich, West Germany and writing _very_ good
books about Russians, and not only. Read _Homo Sovieticus_ or any of his books.
You will know better what kind of danger Russian present. You may even know
better your-self.
I know that his observations are right, because I know a lot of Russians and
other  _homosos_es. Maybe I am one of them ? :-)

--

pss@unh.UUCP (Paul S. Sawyer) (12/02/88)

In article <2365@cbnews.ATT.COM>, lvc@cbnews.ATT.COM (Lawrence V. Cipriani) writes:
> My last posting on this worn out topic (unless somebody gets rude and I
> ...  What I want is to make life as difficult as possible for anyone living
> there so they want to leave or demand real reforms.  I'm opposed to anything
> that makes the USSR a better place to live.  If you don't share this opinion
> fine, just be sure to tell it to at least one escapee from the USSR.
>
> Like I said before, once the USSR permits free [emmigration] to all their
> citizens I'll believe they are civilized.
>
> --
> Larry Cipriani, AT&T Network Systems, Columbus OH,

So, say that something happens that makes Soviet life THAT difficult
and anyone then IS allowed to leave?  Will they all want to come to
the U.S., since we all agree (who choose to live here) that
it's the best place to be?  Will we find them ALL a place to live,
and be happy to let them compete for "OUR" jobs, etc.?  After all,
Mexico lets people leave and some U.S. people don't like that.
Many Soviet people LOVE their land, their heritage, etc. and
would rather not leave;  would you deny them the few reforms
that seem to be beginning to happen?  Yes, anyone who WANTS to
leave ANY country should be allowed to, but I can't wish
increased hardships on entire populations so that they will
take some uncontrolled actions towards "real" reforms.

And - - USENET is not likely to increase the Soviet standard of
living all THAT much, but a U.S. - U.S.S.R. connection could
increase our understanding of each other FAR beyond any
disadvantages.

cc: boris@umoscow.CCCP :-)
--
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Paul S. Sawyer              uunet!unh!unhtel!paul     paul@unhtel.UUCP

lvc@cbnews.ATT.COM (Lawrence V. Cipriani) (12/02/88)

In article <267@s1.sys.uea.ac.uk> jrk@s1.sys.uea.ac.uk (Richard Kennaway CMP RA) writes:
I wrote:
>> I'm opposed to anything that makes the USSR a better place to live.
>
>Duh...  You mean that if the Soviet Government instituted freedom of speech,
>movement, and religion, tomorrow, you would be opposed?  Or were you half
>asleep when you penned that sentence?

Duh no, though I sometimes fail to express myself well.  I thought it was
clear in the context the sentence appeared in I was talking out anything
*external* to the USSR.

I'm sure everyone has heard by now that the USSR has stopped jamming western
propoganda into the USSR.  To say the least, I really am suprised.  Stalin
must be turning in his grave.

--
Larry Cipriani, AT&T Network Systems, Columbus OH,

gtww2z9z%gables.span@umigw.miami.edu (Jason Gross) (12/03/88)

There have been many arguments against letting the Soviets have access to
UUCP or Usenet becuase they might possibly gain certain clasified material.

With that thinking, we had better pull out of anything that we and the USSR are
part of becuase they just might gain certain classified material from that
organization!  C'mon, guys!  I've only been using the net a short while and I
have yet to see anything that could be considered classified or that they
couldn't find in the many journals that lie around in our libraries.  So get
that Russophobic attitude out of your system and let's chitaiyetay!

Dasvedanya, tovarishi!

--
Jason Gross     Comp Sci Ugrad     University of Miami     Class of '91 (?)
Four out of five doctors | Mail your invigorating replies to:      | Post

curtc@pogo.GPID.TEK.COM (Curtis Charles) (12/03/88)

In article <2067@garth.UUCP> smryan@garth.UUCP (Steven Ryan) writes:
>Next you'll be telling us if you cut a Russian, they'll bleed.

...and 'cause they're commies, they probably bleed RED too!

Last year I did a term paper (in a grad level international marketing
class) on (ta da) Trade with the Soviet Union.  The US trades with the
USSR to a much greater extent than you'd imagine.  You can buy
Coke-a-Cola in Moscow.  You can buy a Big Mac in Leningrad.  A great
number of the oil field supplies used in the Soviet oil patch are
designed and produced by American companies.  But these commodities are
a drop in the bucket compared to US agricultural exports to the USSR
(no, wheat isn't #1; corn is!).

The most interesting findings of my study were:
1)  The Russians are very good at paying their bills, and there is very
    little country risk due to a very stable government.
2)  The Russian market is virtually untapped, and is hungry for
    American goods.  (Levi's draw $100 in Moscow!)
3)  The Russians are a pain to deal with.  What takes a week to close
    in Cincinatti takes 6-8 months to close in Moscow.  They change the
    rules (bid on this, deliver that), and probably drive the hardest
    bargains in the world.  Counter trade is factored into almost all
    deals (sure, we'll buy 100,000 gallons of Coke syrup, but you've got
    to take 25,000 pairs of size 42 dungarees in exchange!)  Also, how
    does one place a value on a square block of Tblisi?  Or in a
    workers time?  Or on a factory in Moscow?  (This is a problem
    because free market competitive factors aren't setting the prices,
    the government is.  So how do you compare the governments prices to
    those elsewhere to figure out if the deal is OK?)
4)  Petrostroika has opened up the possibility of joint ventures.  The
    ground rules were that the venture had to be 51% owned by the USSR,
    couldn't break any Soviet labor laws, and had to be managed by
    Soviet citizens.  It could make deals outside of the USSR, or sell
    to the internal market.
5)  The US exports mostly agricultural (read renewable) products to the
    USSR, while the USSR exports mostly mineral resources (read non-
    renewable).
6)  The Russians try hard to import as much know-how as possible,
    especially in the areas of (surprise) international banking and
    marketing.  They are also interested in western business planning
    methods.  (The joint ventures are designed to squeeze both know-how
    and capital out of the deal.)

Business with the USSR is definately worth the hassle.  The size of the
market is enormous, and the rewards and tremendous.

USENET access with the Russians?  Sure, why not.  Perhaps through this
kind of communication we can start to dispel the myth that the Russians
are blood thirsty killers with knives at our throats.

You can bet a shot of Vodka that the KGB and CIA will both be listening
in though.  (In fact, if you subscribe to Pravda here in the states,
our very own CIA will send you a monthly postcard (alternatively in
English and Russian) telling you that they know!)  So what!  I haven't
seen any really sensitive info go over the net; it's mostly just
smalltalk (no caps :-).

Curt Charles              | "Let our swords run red with the blood of
curtc@pogo.GPID.TEK.COM   | infidels..."    Sean Connery

davef@brspyr1.BRS.Com (Dave Fiske) (12/06/88)

In article <758@quintus.UUCP>, ok@quintus.uucp (Richard A. O'Keefe) writes:
> When I was in the UK, I several times saw in the press the comment
> that the USA has missiles pointed at the UK.  There are reasons why this
> is credible, though I reserve judgement.  Did this stop people in the UK

We once had a guest lecturer, Milton Leitenberg, at a class on foreign
policy when I was in college.  He shared with us some of his notes and
observations from a news conference he attended at the Pentagon, at
which the officer giving the briefing made allusion to a policy of the
U.S. to target any nation which has atomic weapons.  Someone asked if
that meant that allies, like Britain and France (presently an
unofficial ally), were targeted.  Leitenberg said the general just
smiled, then went on to his next topic.

Well, I guess it's always possible for any country to undergo a
Communist revolution, and we can't very well wait till the last minute
to modify our targeting.    :^)
--
"WW2 NAVY PLANES--MISSING SINCE      Dave Fiske  (davef@brspyr1.BRS.COM)
 1945--SPOTTED NEAR MARS!"

jarl@loglule.se (Jarl Sandberg) (12/07/88)

Is it not time to stop the whole discussion about Soviet access to Usenet,
different spy/counter spy organizations and start talking computers.

By the way, isn't the best way of making KBG/GRU incapable of any move to
drown them with data, incomplete data, garbage data and so on. They
won't be able to find the useful information since it is hidden by a lot
of irrelevant data. I belive that this is the ghost of all intelligence
sevices, not the absence of data, but rather too much data.

And after all, if three can't keep a secret, how can anyone think
that anything published in Usenet can be called secret? I think the whole
discussion is aiming at the wrong target since Usenet is a open
INTERNATIONAL network and can't be used to contain secrets.

Second, if you can't stop soviet access to the net, what the use discussing
it in such a way that the USSR can observe anything you say (i.e. USENET).

Third, which topics seems to be to most popular on the net? For me it seems
to be that the topics the Soviet "really" can gain vital information about is
if Tom Bombadill is a maia or what ever.

--jarl

Standard disclaimer applied here.

jrich@devnet4.hac.com (john richardson) (12/08/88)

In article <7961@dasys1.UUCP> tneff@dasys1.UUCP (Tom Neff) writes:

> Hah!  As fragile as this link is likely to be, if you think some CS prof
> in Kiev is going to jeopardize his access by getting into political
> arguments with decadent Westerners you have another think coming.
> In fact, just to keep temptation at a minimum, I would hope that
> Ambassador Crunch would not gateway t.p.s or similar powderkeg groups.

I don't think any kind of censorship on our side,
whatever the intentions, would be a good idea.
For those that are worried about the disruptive influence
of these "powderkeg groups", I'm sure the KGB would be
capable of restricting access to them.
For those that hope USENET might become
a disruptive influence, you are probably going to be disappointed.

> What about the possibility of information flowing the other way?
> I think it would be useful to have some of the sci.* groups coming
> from the SU.  And would the CIA obtain no benefit from knowing the
> names of individuals who are that interested in the West?

I'm sure all access to USENET would be controlled by the KGB anyway,
and probably limited to approved individuals,
and screened for appropriate content.
I discount the possibility of a massive disinformation
blitz, but it does exist.

In article <222@taniwha.UUCP>, michael@taniwha.UUCP (Michael Hamel) writes:

> Could you bring yourself to believe that they might have changed in the
> last twenty years?

I suspect some people said the same thing
in the sixties, vis a vis the 1930's.
Once bitten, twice shy.
We would want to recognize a true change, but
it will take time to accept that all the current noise
is not some Potemkin-type PR campaign.

In article <2355@cbnews.ATT.COM> lvc@cbnews.ATT.COM (Lawrence V. Cipriani) writes:

> When the Soviet Union allows free immigration to all citizens then I will
> believe they have *fundamentally* changed.  Until then, it is a prison,
> and only a prison.

A good criteria for recognizing a true change,
as this would indeed require a fundamental change in Soviet attitudes.
Congress, however, would probably respond by limiting Soviet emigration.

John Richardson
jrich@devnet4.hac.com
All opinions are certainly my own,
and are expressed entirely as an individual.

36_5130@uwovax.uwo.ca (Kinch) (12/09/88)

In article <208@twwells.uucp>, bill@twwells.uucp (T. William Wells) writes:
> In article <2326@cbnews.ATT.COM> lvc@cbnews.ATT.COM (Lawrence V. Cipriani) writes:
> : but I'm anti Soviet!
>
> That makes at least two of us!

It also makes two horses asses out of the pair of you!

Just what does it mean to be anti-Soviet except to be predjudiced
against a huge amount of innocent people! (A Soviet like an American
or a Canadian or a West/East German etc. is a person!)

As far as USENET goes, just what kind of important information is on
this BBS that everbody wants to keep from any body else? I read it
alot during the summer (not much time these days) on all sorts of
different newsgroups and other than a whole bunch of speculation and
misinformation I saw very little that the KGB/CIA/M15/CISIS or any
other "spy" organization would find in anyway useful. That is not to
say that I think it is bad, quite the contrary! Even bad disscussion
is better than no disscussion at all!

Of course, if your intention is to keep the level of ignorance that
the west and the east have for each other at the same rate, then I can
see not letting them have access. (Though as many have already said,
the point is probably moot as this is probably already screened for
goodies by every "spy" organization anyway!)

 I had to comment.  I am just tired of seeing this crap!

Kinch		(* I still dont know when not to talk!  *)

jac423@leah.Albany.Edu (Julius A Cisek) (12/09/88)

In article <2108@vedge.UUCP>, anna@vedge.UUCP (Anna Kochanowska) writes:
> I suggest trying to know Russians better.

Stop right there. I don't think that anyone  really  believes  that  the
Russian  people are evil. It's not the citizens, it is the government. I
doubt that much of the public would get to see much of the  net  anyway.
And if they do, you can be sure it'll be 'selective' articles.

--
What about technology, computers, .------------------. J.A.Cisek
nuclear fusion?  I'm terrified of |Spectral Fantasies| jac423@leah.albany.edu

scrane@cs.tcd.ie (Stephen Crane) (12/09/88)

In article <643@jurgen.loglule.se> jarl@loglule.se (Jarl Sandberg) writes:
>By the way, isn't the best way of making KBG/GRU incapable of any move to
>drown them with data, incomplete data, garbage data and so on. They
>won't be able to find the useful information since it is hidden by a lot
>of irrelevant data.
Isn't the net like this already, with or without the GRU listening in?
:-)

>For me it seems to be that the topics the Soviet "really" can gain vital
>information about is if Tom Bombadill is a maia or what ever.

Wha?  (By the way, I think it is `Bombadil').  (Irony--just say `no.')

Stephen Crane
Distributed Systems' Group,

majka@moose.cs.ubc.ca (Marc Majka) (12/10/88)

In article <643@jurgen.loglule.se> jarl@loglule.SE (Jarl Sandberg) writes:
+ By the way, isn't the best way of making KBG/GRU incapable of any move to
+ drown them with data, incomplete data, garbage data and so on. They
+ won't be able to find the useful information since it is hidden by a lot
+ of irrelevant data.

*Sigh*  Sounds just like most of the newsgroups that I read.  Give them a
news feed and they will never dig themselves out of the noise and flames.

---
Marc Majka

bill@twwells.uucp (T. William Wells) (12/15/88)

In article <1049@uwovax.uwo.ca> 36_5130@uwovax.uwo.ca (Kinch) writes:
: In article <208@twwells.uucp>, bill@twwells.uucp (T. William Wells) writes:
: > In article <2326@cbnews.ATT.COM> lvc@cbnews.ATT.COM (Lawrence V. Cipriani) writes:
: > : but I'm anti Soviet!
: >
: > That makes at least two of us!
:
: It also makes two horses asses out of the pair of you!
:
: Just what does it mean to be anti-Soviet except to be predjudiced
: against a huge amount of innocent people! (A Soviet like an American
: or a Canadian or a West/East German etc. is a person!)

Sorry, but you are absolutely wrong. Note the wording: "anti-Soviet".
Not "anti-Russian". Russia is a country.  The Soviet Union is an
empire. I have nothing against the Russians and others dominated by
the Soviet Union's government (other than noting that "no government
continues to exist, save by the tacit consent of the people." [This
is probably misquoted, but you get the idea.])

So, call yourself an *ignorant* horse's ass.

: As far as USENET goes, just what kind of important information is on
: this BBS that everbody wants to keep from any body else? I read it
: alot during the summer (not much time these days) on all sorts of
: different newsgroups and other than a whole bunch of speculation and
: misinformation I saw very little that the KGB/CIA/M15/CISIS or any
: other "spy" organization would find in anyway useful. That is not to
: say that I think it is bad, quite the contrary! Even bad disscussion
: is better than no disscussion at all!

You haven't seemed to have read: I'm *for* letting the Soviets have a
publicly known site. Shall I send you my postings arguing for it?

:  I had to comment.  I am just tired of seeing this crap!

So am I.

: Kinch         (* I still dont know when not to talk!  *)

Right.

---

miket@brspyr1.BRS.Com (Mike Trout) (12/16/88)

In article <115@gsgpyr.hac.com>, jrich@devnet4.hac.com (john richardson) writes:

> In article <2355@cbnews.ATT.COM> lvc@cbnews.ATT.COM (Lawrence V. Cipriani) writes:
> > When the Soviet Union allows free immigration to all citizens then I will
> > believe they have *fundamentally* changed.  Until then, it is a prison,
> > and only a prison.

> A good criteria for recognizing a true change,
> as this would indeed require a fundamental change in Soviet attitudes.
> Congress, however, would probably respond by limiting Soviet emigration.

Oops.  This has already happened (reference: NPR story 12-13-88).  One official
was quoted as saying something like "now that the Soviet Union is opening its
doors, the United States is closing its doors."

Big surprise, eh?

--
NSA food:  Iran sells Nicaraguan drugs to White House through CIA, DIA & NRO.