[comp.misc] extravagant highway systems

karl@sugar.uu.net (Karl Lehenbauer) (12/23/88)

In article <5141@brspyr1.BRS.Com>, miket@brspyr1.BRS.Com (Mike Trout) writes:
> all other things being equal, our extravangant highway system would permit a
> mechanized invader to cover massive amounts of territory with little effort

So, we shouldn't have roads because it would help our enemies invade us, eh?

This sounds like a variant of the sort of "the automobile is a tool for the
bougeois lackeys of the imperialist warmongers" stuff I used to read in the
Boston Globe and hear from Boston city planners.  I note your Newtonville,
MA address.  I assume you have "bought in" to make such a remarkable statement.
--
-- "We've been following your progress with considerable interest, not to say
-- contempt."  -- Zaphod Beeblebrox IV

miket@brspyr1.BRS.Com (Mike Trout) (12/29/88)

In article <3144@sugar.uu.net>, karl@sugar.uu.net (Karl Lehenbauer) writes:

> In article <5141@brspyr1.BRS.Com>, miket@brspyr1.BRS.Com (Mike Trout) writes:

> > all other things being equal, our extravangant highway system would permit a
> > mechanized invader to cover massive amounts of territory with little effort

> So, we shouldn't have roads because it would help our enemies invade us, eh?

I never said nor implied that.  You did.

> This sounds like a variant of the sort of "the automobile is a tool for the
> bougeois lackeys of the imperialist warmongers" stuff I used to read in the
> Boston Globe and hear from Boston city planners.  I note your Newtonville,
> MA address.

I have never been to Newtonville, Mass., and don't even know where it is.  I
have visited Boston maybe three or four times in my entire life.

> I assume you have "bought in" to make such a remarkable statement.

What statement was that?  I don't recall saying anything particularly
remarkable.  On the other hand, I note your Houston, Tex. address and wonder
about your connection with the oil companies :-).

--
NSA food:  Iran sells Nicaraguan drugs to White House through CIA, DIA & NRO.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Michael Trout (miket@brspyr1)~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

kurt@tc.fluke.COM (Kurt Guntheroth) (01/03/89)

Guess what.  Our extravagant highway system (at least the network of
interstate highways) is precisely designed for military transport.  It is
designed to rapidly move large defensive forces across the vast expanse of
the united states to repel evil enemy invaders.  Have a look at the
authorizing legislation, passed just after WWII.

Why is this in comp.misc?

miket@brspyr1.BRS.Com (Mike Trout) (01/05/89)

In article <6453@fluke.COM>, kurt@tc.fluke.COM (Kurt Guntheroth) writes:

> Guess what.  Our extravagant highway system (at least the network of
> interstate highways) is precisely designed for military transport.  It is
> designed to rapidly move large defensive forces across the vast expanse of
> the united states to repel evil enemy invaders.  Have a look at the
> authorizing legislation, passed just after WWII.

Well, that was sort of the original idea, and that's the approach that had to
be taken in the language of the legislation.  But there was actually quite a
controversy about this at the time.  A lot of folks expected that when
complete, the Interstate Highway System would be virtually unused by the
public, and that crews would have to walk the highways pulling weeds out of the
cracks.  This was expected partly because the roads were accused of going "from
nowhere to nowhere", and partly because it was expected that the motoring
public would not want to get tangled up with the giant military convoys that
were expected to be frequently using the roads.  There was some talk that
during major military maneuvers (which were quite frequent in those days) all
Interstates might be closed to the public anyway.  I remember some
anti-Interstate magazine ads with artist's conceptions of completed
Interstates, with not a single vehicle visible from horizon to horizon.  As a
result of the controversy, there were some minor redesigns of some of the major
Interstate rights of way, to better serve public transportation needs.  It
wasn't too long before it was realized that US automobile traffic was growing
at a virtually uncontrollable rate and the Interstate system would help
accommodate the demand for new highways.  The military function was slowly
forgotten and the Interstate Defense Highway System quietly became the
Interstate Highway System.  If only we knew then what we know now...

It is often overlooked that although US WW2 production was of truly titantic
quantity, moving the stuff and troops around within this admittedly gigantic
nation was also a gargantuan task.  For example, although over 300,000
(yes, 300,000!) airplanes were built in the USA, probably less than a third of
them left our shores.  It's not much of an exaggeration when people say that we
couldn't have won the war without our railroads.  But the war virtually wore
out the US railroad system, and the military wanted a transport backup, thus
part of the reason for the Interstate Defense Highway idea.  But as has been
stated before, well-developed transport systems aid invaders as well as
defenders.

> Why is this in comp.misc?

Why not?  This group is so catch-all anyway.  Maybe we should start
misc.transportation...