[comp.misc] Request for poll of ten best/worst

gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu (12/30/88)

Please add this to your list of Ten Best/Worst

Best: The macintosh multifinder (delivered in late '87 / early '88).
This piece of software demonstrated that a big kluge can be immensely
useful.  Even though people complain it's not "true" multitasking,
that doesn't matter, because the Mac is an interactive machine, not a
database/number cruncher.  It turns out that for non-crunching tasks,
multifinder does about 90% of what you need in a multitasking PC.

Don Gillies, Dept. of Computer Science, University of Illinois
1304 W. Springfield, Urbana, Ill 61801
ARPA: gillies@cs.uiuc.edu   UUCP: {uunet,harvard}!uiucdcs!gillies

bader+@andrew.cmu.edu (Miles Bader) (12/31/88)

gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu writes:
> Please add this to your list of Ten Best/Worst
>
> Best: The macintosh multifinder (delivered in late '87 / early '88).
> This piece of software demonstrated that a big kluge can be immensely
> useful.  Even though people complain it's not "true" multitasking,
> that doesn't matter, because the Mac is an interactive machine, not a
> database/number cruncher.  It turns out that for non-crunching tasks,
> multifinder does about 90% of what you need in a multitasking PC.

You have got to be kidding

In article <79700018@p.cs.uiuc.edu>, gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu writes:
> Best: The macintosh multifinder (delivered in late '87 / early '88).
> This piece of software demonstrated that a big kluge can be immensely
> useful.  Even though people complain it's not "true" multitasking,
> that doesn't matter, because the Mac is an interactive machine, not a
> database/number cruncher.  It turns out that for non-crunching tasks,
> multifinder does about 90% of what you need in a multitasking PC.

That last 10%, apparently, turns out to be 90% of what I use multitasking
for. And of course Multifinder chews up so much of the CPU that a Mac-II
running Multifinder seems way slower than an Amiga running Intuition, or
an AT&T 7300 running User Agent, or an HP Integral running HP-UX. Despite
the 5x faster CPU and the presence of the Mac Toolbox, one of the most
heavily optimised graphics libraries available.
Work: uunet.uu.net!ficc!peter, peter@ficc.uu.net, +1 713 274 5180.   `-_-'
Home: bigtex!texbell!sugar!peter, peter@sugar.uu.net.                 'U`
Opinions may not represent the policies of FICC or the Xenix Support group.

gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu (01/06/89)

/* Written by bader+@andrew.cmu.edu in p.cs.uiuc.edu:comp.misc */
> gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu writes:
>
> Best: The macintosh multifinder (delivered in late '87 / early '88).
> This piece of software demonstrated that a big kluge can be immensely
> useful.  Even though people complain it's not "true" multitasking,
> that doesn't matter, because the Mac is an interactive machine, not a
> database/number cruncher.  It turns out that for non-crunching tasks,
> multifinder does about 90% of what you need in a multitasking PC.
>
>You have got to be kidding

/* End of text from p.cs.uiuc.edu:comp.misc */
/* Written by peter@ficc.uu.net in p.cs.uiuc.edu:comp.misc */

>That last 10%, apparently, turns out to be 90% of what I use multitasking
>for. And of course Multifinder chews up so much of the CPU that a Mac-II
>running Multifinder seems way slower than an Amiga running Intuition, or
>an AT&T 7300 running User Agent, or an HP Integral running HP-UX. Despite
>the 5x faster CPU and the presence of the Mac Toolbox, one of the most
>heavily optimised graphics libraries available.

Read my lips: I said "for interactive tasks", e.g. editing pictures,
typing in WYSWYG documents, etc.  Just what the Mac does best.  Not
programming / number crunching / running databases, etc.  You complain
that it doesn't do what you want.  Well, tough, use another computer.
I suspect you already do, hence the cynicism.