[comp.misc] Business subsidies

dlawyer@balboa.eng.uci.edu (David Lawyer) (01/11/89)

In article <JEFF.89Jan8105444@stormy.atmos.washington.edu> jeff@stormy.atmos.washington.edu (Jeff L. Bowden) writes:
>In article <2542@stiatl.UUCP> john@stiatl.UUCP (John DeArmond) writes:
>
>>As to subsidies, one could also note that the US government subsidizes
>>almost ALL US industry.  Don't believe me?  Well consider for a
>>moment Investment Tax Credits, Capital Gains taxes, interest deduction,
>>depriciation, state & local tax deduction, expense deductions including
>>labor costs.
>
>I guess this means that you think businesses should be paying taxes.  Perhaps
>the solution to competitiveness on the global market is to do away with taxes
>on businesses.

Business (on the whole) is not subsidized by the government.  It
actually pays high taxes but most all of this tax is passed along to
American consumers as higher prices and this is regressive taxation.
The tax laws not only impose a double tax on corporate profit (both the
corporations and shareholders pay taxes on profit released as
dividends) but the depreciation accounting is quite unfair.  For
example, if I'm in business and buy a rug for $100 and depreciate it
based on original cost, I will have $100 in my depreciation account to
buy a new rug when the old one is worn out.  But if due to inflation,
new ones cost $200 then I will have to take $100 from after tax profit
to buy a new rug which means that what the accounting methods
considered to be profit (and charged me tax on it) was not really
profit at all.

Do you remember when Corporations were forced to do replacement cost
accounting (and usually included it in fine print or the like in their
annual reports and presented it in such a manner so as to make it as
incomprehensible as possible)?  This showed that many (if not most)
corporations were actually losing money rather than making it but  this
information was intentionally ignored by both stockbrokers and
business.  Neither wanted to face up to the fact that many corporations
were reporting profits but actually suffering losses.

Furthermore, business (and individuals) pay taxes on ficticious capital
gains since much (or all) of capital gains are due only to inflation
and represent no real increase in real value.

Business profit is costs minus expenses, and labor costs are definitely
expenses.  Some of the items mentioned do represent (in part) subsidy
such as interest deductions.  What needs to be done is to modify
accounting practices to account for inflation.

There is one major flaw in eliminating taxes on business.  Business
would retain most profits instead of distributing them to the owners,
thereby shielding the owners (including rich owners) from paying
taxes.  I suggest that business itself pay no tax on its profits but
that the persons who own the business be taxed on such profits.  Thus
stockholders would be assessed taxes on retained profit.