[comp.misc] Junk Fax

davef@brspyr1.BRS.Com (Dave Fiske) (01/04/89)

In article <10@blender.UUCP>, root@blender.UUCP (Super user) writes:
>  Our office is a victim of Junk-Fax but we've found a solution to the problem.
> Coming into the office one morning we were greeted by a 5 foot long banner
> with a fax number on top, an order form and then the message (in big letters)
> "ARE YOU OUT OF PAPER?".  What we did was to chop the banner into 8x10 pieces,
> put them in the sheet feeder and told it to send 99 copies of each page.  We

Better yet, on a recent NBC News report about Fax machines, someone
said their policy is to get a long piece of paper, tape the ends
together to form a loop, and just let the machine go for a few hours,
continuously sending it to the junk mailer.

Of course, you're really cutting off your nose to spite your face,
since you're denying yourself normal use of the "expensive" machine in
the process.

Although I think there are some very good uses for facsimile
transmission, it seems that the ones whic are promoted and carried on
are the trivial and non-cost-effective ones: sending orders to delis,
sending requests to radio stations, and sending typewritten text
documents (which could have been typed on a computer, instead).

Unless the companies pushing faxes start promoting more serious uses, I
see this as a 2 or 3 year fad.
--
"JUNGLE GUIDE IS EATEN               Dave Fiske  (davef@brspyr1.BRS.COM)
 BY 9-FOOT-TALL ANTS!"

rang@cpsin3.cps.msu.edu (Anton Rang) (01/06/89)

A quick note which may be of interest: Wisconsin is considering
banning "junk fax" (== unrequested transmissions, I think)....

+---------------------------+------------------------+----------------------+
| Anton Rang (grad student) | "VMS Forever!"         | "Do worry...be SAD!" |
| Michigan State University | rang@cpswh.cps.msu.edu |                      |
+---------------------------+------------------------+----------------------+

bcw@rti.UUCP (Bruce Wright) (01/06/89)

In article <5207@brspyr1.BRS.Com>, davef@brspyr1.BRS.Com (Dave Fiske) writes:

> Better yet, on a recent NBC News report about Fax machines, someone
> said their policy is to get a long piece of paper, tape the ends
> together to form a loop, and just let the machine go for a few hours,
> continuously sending it to the junk mailer.
>
> Although I think there are some very good uses for facsimile
> transmission, it seems that the ones whic are promoted and carried on
> are the trivial and non-cost-effective ones: sending orders to delis,
> sending requests to radio stations, and sending typewritten text
> documents (which could have been typed on a computer, instead).
>
> Unless the companies pushing faxes start promoting more serious uses, I
> see this as a 2 or 3 year fad.

As far as I know none of the people I deal with has had much trouble
(yet) with junk fax.  I'm sure that when they do, the junk fax will
get all the attention they deserve. :-)

But even for transmitting typewritten text, fax can be a real lifesaver.
Not all typewritten text is coming from a device which is compatible with
the computers which might have to be made to talk to each other; besides
the obvious real typewriters (which still exist :-) you get all sorts of
other situations.  For example, last summer we were able to troubleshoot
the problems a customer in Japan was having by looking at fax listings
of data line monitor listings.  Now it might have been possible to convert
the data line monitor output to something digestible by a PC and then
eventually fight your way through several systems transmitting it via
KERMIT (or whatever), but this would still not include any handwritten
notations (like "problem starts HERE").  Much as we would like, things
just don't always talk to each other well - fax can cut through all this.

Nothing that I see happening is likely to change the need for this kind
of rapid communication in the near future - it means more than just changes
in modem and computer technology (bad enough);  it means major changes in
the way people work.  Lots of times text that's produced isn't on a
computer;  also you often want to send something that's inherently
graphical in nature (reprints, photographs, drawings, etc).

On the other hand, I really don't see much point in the fax-as-computer-
peripheral.  In order to be really useful, you need a very high-quality
output device (like a laser printer) and a scanner - otherwise you just
have a fancy way to send text which isn't too much different from a modem.
By the time you've paid for the board+scanner+printer you've paid _more_
than what a real fax costs.  Arguably this arrangement is more powerful,
but it is being sold as being _cheaper_.  Seems to me it's cheaper in only
a few situations where it is for some reason never necessary to send or
receive graphics (and therefore you can cut the expensive printer and
scanner) and where you need to send fax as opposed to text files on a
modem link.  I have a hard time thinking of any but specialty applications
for this sort of product.  Salesmen for example often send quotes by fax
because the customers want quotes quickly, but they often send graphics
too ... rendering the PC based products as less than ideal.

There is no question that there are some places which have become too
caught up in the "gee whiz" of fax, but the technology itself is
enormously useful and is likely to be around a long time.  I don't know
what "companies promoting fax" you are referring to;  if it is the fax
sales companies, well, caveat emptor.  You only need fax if you need
fast turnaround with correspondents inside or outside your organization -
which is not universal but not uncommon either.  Trying to make fax solve
every problem is silly.

						Bruce C. Wright

jim@eda.com (Jim Budler) (01/08/89)

In article <5207@brspyr1.BRS.Com> davef@brspyr1.BRS.Com (Dave Fiske) writes:
| Although I think there are some very good uses for facsimile
| transmission, it seems that the ones whic are promoted and carried on
| are the trivial and non-cost-effective ones: sending orders to delis,
| sending requests to radio stations, and sending typewritten text
| documents (which could have been typed on a computer, instead).
Wow, far out!

Not very long ago, couple years, the statement concerning need for
computers in small offices/business was "which could have been typed
on a typewriter, instead".

We've come a long way, baby!

Seriously, 8^), we use much fax, AND e-mail in our business.

	Serious reasons for fax, as opposed to e-mail:

	1. You can't put a signature on e-mail. (see 3, below)

	2. A fax works for a distant, non-technical person (eg. salesman
	in remote office), e-mail requires more technical knowledge to
	setup and maintain, and often to use. Fax machines are usually
	plug and play. (Plug and play e-mail will probably appear in the
	future. I don't consider the current level of commercial e-mail
	as adequate to replace fax. Your opinion may differ).

	3. Diagrams, etc. between offices with incompatible, or non-existant
	graphical computers (will probably disappear as a reason in time
	as standards/software/computers evolve).

| Unless the companies pushing faxes start promoting more serious uses, I
| see this as a 2 or 3 year fad.

 I agree that faxes have a limited lifespan, but I wouldn't call it fad.
 I just feel that the evolution of e-mail will eventualy replace fax.

jim
--
Jim Budler   address = uucp: ...!{decwrl,uunet}!eda!jim
					 domain: jim@eda.com

jiii@visdc.UUCP (John E Van Deusen III) (01/10/89)

In article <2696@rti.UUCP>, bcw@rti.UUCP (Bruce Wright) writes:

> ... I really don't see much point in the fax-as-computer peripheral.
> In order to be really useful, you need a very high-quality output
> device (like a laser printer) and a scanner ...  By the time you've
> paid for [this] you've paid _more_ than what a real fax costs ...  but
> it is being sold as being _cheaper_. ...

If a person has a need for a PC as well as a fax machine, I think that
PC-based fax makes a lot of sense.  Since a laser printer is a nearly
essential computer peripheral, the only "extra" equipment is a $600-$900
fax card and a $1,300 scanner.  A scanner like the HP SCAN-JET, capable
of 600 dpi resolution, is likewise a very desirable peripheral.  Among
other things, it will allow the PC to function as a plain-paper copier
and a telecopier.

It is possible to obtain a fax machine for $1,000, but plain-paper
capability costs at least $2,500, (electrostatic paper must be copied
onto plain paper for long-term storage), and no inexpensive fax machines
have a PC's flexibility for document manipulation and redistribution.

The real advantage of PC-based fax, however, is the growing availability
of optical character recognition software.  If someone sends a fax of
something written on a manual typewriter, a stand-alone fax machine is
of no use in transferring the information to your computer.

--
John E Van Deusen, PO Box 9283, Boise, ID  83707.  (208) 343-1865

jbayer@ispi.UUCP (Jonathan Bayer) (01/15/89)

In article <430@visdc.UUCP> jiii@visdc.UUCP (John E Van Deusen III) writes:
>In article <2696@rti.UUCP>, bcw@rti.UUCP (Bruce Wright) writes:
>
>> ... I really don't see much point in the fax-as-computer peripheral.
	[ deleted ]

>If a person has a need for a PC as well as a fax machine, I think that
>PC-based fax makes a lot of sense.  Since a laser printer is a nearly
>essential computer peripheral, the only "extra" equipment is a $600-$900

	Sorry, I disagree.  A laser printer is not an essential
peripheral.  Maybe for you, but not for a lot of small businesses which
do need faxes.

>fax card and a $1,300 scanner.  A scanner like the HP SCAN-JET, capable
>of 600 dpi resolution, is likewise a very desirable peripheral.  Among
>other things, it will allow the PC to function as a plain-paper copier
>and a telecopier.
>
>It is possible to obtain a fax machine for $1,000, but plain-paper

Thank you.  Going by your prices, a small customer has the following
choices of equipment to buy and money to spend:

	1.	laser printer		>    $ 1000
	2.	scanner			app. $ 1300
	3.	Fax card (mode 3)	>    $ 1000	(my guess)

			total:	 more than $ 3300, add at least 600 for
				an HP laserjet.

	1.	Fax (electrostatic)	< $ 1000

			a savings of at least $ 2300

	1.	Fax (plain paper)	app. $ 2500

			a savings of at least $ 800

On top of everything else you suggest that the fax is a good substitute
for a copier.  Several comments.  First, try making multiple copies in a
reasonable amount of time on a fax.  Second, unless you have a scanner
you cannot copy pages in a book.  Third, do you really want to put the
computer down while it is making a copy?

JB

--
Jonathan Bayer				"The time has come," the Walrus said...
Intelligent Software Products, Inc.

sl@van-bc.UUCP (pri=-10 Stuart Lynne) (01/16/89)

In article <412@ispi.UUCP> jbayer@ispi.UUCP (Jonathan Bayer) writes:
}In article <430@visdc.UUCP> jiii@visdc.UUCP (John E Van Deusen III) writes:
}>In article <2696@rti.UUCP>, bcw@rti.UUCP (Bruce Wright) writes:
}>
}>> ... I really don't see much point in the fax-as-computer peripheral.
}	[ deleted ]
}
}	1.	laser printer		>    $ 1000
}	2.	scanner			app. $ 1300
}	3.	Fax card (mode 3)	>    $ 1000	(my guess)
}			total:	 more than $ 3300, add at least 600 for
}				an HP laserjet.

Try:
	3.	Fax card (mode 3)	<    $ 300 (recent issue of PC Week)

--
Stuart.Lynne@wimsey.bc.ca {ubc-cs,uunet}!van-bc!sl     Vancouver,BC,604-937-7532

jiii@visdc.UUCP (John E Van Deusen III) (01/16/89)

It believe the best stand-alone fax machine is the very cheapest.  It
represents the lowest cost for an expensive, single-purpose piece of
office equipment that can not interface with other office equipment.

There are certain applications utilizing fax technology that require
more capability than is provided by the basic stand-alone machine.
These capabilities are available on stand-alone machines (such as the
Ricoh 2100) for nearly three times the cost of the most basic machine.
At some point, a PC-based facsimile system, with incomparably greater
capability and flexibility becomes a viable option in comparison with
an enhanced stand-alone machine.

Some of the enhanced capabilities that might prove useful include the
following:

     A: Send output from word processing to a remote fax machine.
     B: Receive a fax transmission from a remote machine and modify it
        utilizing a word processor.
     C: Archive a fax transmission.
     D: Do data entry by OCR on a fax transmission.
     E: Distribute a fax transmission to multiple locations.

The same equipment required for a PC-based system to do the above
could also be used as follows:

     A: Scan logos, artwork, and documentation at up to 600 dpi.
     B: Reproduce that high-quality graphics image at a local or a
        remote location.
     C: Save that image to produce a very high quality copy at a
        later time.
     D: Do very reliable OCR data entry.

It has been stated in this forum that utilizing a PC fax card takes
down the PC.  This is not true.  See the Dec. 88, issue of BYTE
for the review of the Intel board.  See also "Facsimile Networking with
Personal computers: A Shopper's Guide" in the March 88 issue of DATA
COMMUNICATIONS.  Anyone starting from scratch should also take a look
at the Cannon laser copiers with the computer interface, (like the D30).
I know of at least one company using these with PCs and a satellite link
to provide high quality international zap mail.
==
John E Van Deusen, PO Box 9283, Boise, ID  83707, (208) 343-1865

uunet!visdc!jiii