[comp.misc] Computer phone soliciters

roetzhei@sdsu.UUCP (William Roetzheim) (01/10/89)

  I hate phone solicitations of all types.  I am able to get some sense
of revenge with the personal callers by either:  1. trying to sell them
something myself; or 2.  Telling them that I am very interested, then
asking them to hold on to the line for a minute, followed by leaving
them sitting there indefinitely (if I am really aggrevated I will
periodically shout out "just another minute" to the receiver).

  BUT, I am totally at a lose when it comes to computers (recorded voices)
which call me up to bother me.  I get five or six of these calls per
week!  Any suggestions for how to wreck havoc with a computer solicitor?

WHRR

friedl@vsi.COM (Stephen J. Friedl) (01/11/89)

In article <3366@sdsu.UUCP>, roetzhei@sdsu.UUCP (William Roetzheim) writes:
>   I hate phone solicitations of all types. [...]
>
>   Any suggestions for how to wreck havoc with a computer solicitor?

Tell them you don't want to buy any computers :-).

--
Stephen J. Friedl        3B2-kind-of-guy            friedl@vsi.com
V-Systems, Inc.        I speak for me only      attmail!vsi!friedl

hjespers@attcan.UUCP (Hans Jespersen) (01/11/89)

In article <3366@sdsu.UUCP> roetzhei@sdsu.UCSD.EDU (William Roetzheim) writes:

> [ stuff deleted about getting revenge on telemarketers ]
>
>  BUT, I am totally at a lose when it comes to computers (recorded voices)
>which call me up to bother me.  I get five or six of these calls per
>week!  Any suggestions for how to wreck havoc with a computer solicitor?

If they leave a return phone number you could always set up your modem
to give them a call (say every minute on the minute for an hour). Such
drastic actions are in all probability illegal (I typed in the wrong number
in my Systems file honest your honour ;-)

Hans

jacka@hpcupt1.HP.COM (Jack C. Armstrong) (01/12/89)

  >I hate phone solicitations of all types.............

AMEN!!!!  The only permanent solution is (yuggg!) legislation, but how about
rendering the technique financially worthless?  DON'T HANG UP -- it only
encourages them to go bug someone else, and eventually it will be your turn
again.  Play their game - answer all their questions - erroneously.

Keep talking (or let them listen to your stereo), many of them are vox
(voice or any other noise) controlled.  Don't give them a random address,
(you might randomly chose a read one), a better choice would be the Better
Business Bureau or your least favorite congressman.

Let's face it - like bad TV, if it didn't sell things, they wouldn't do it.

john@stiatl.UUCP (John DeArmond) (01/12/89)

In article <3366@sdsu.UUCP> roetzhei@sdsu.UCSD.EDU (William Roetzheim) writes:

>  I hate phone solicitations of all types.  I am able to get some sense

>  BUT, I am totally at a lose when it comes to computers (recorded voices)
>which call me up to bother me.  I get five or six of these calls per
>week!  Any suggestions for how to wreck havoc with a computer solicitor?
>
>WHRR

A trick I've seen used is to keep a transister radio handy tuned to
a talk format station.  Many of these computerized systems will
continue to record an answer to a question until it detects a pause.
So simply put the phone receiver on the radio and let 'er rip..
Talk radio is necessary because some of these systems can distinguish
a voice as opposed to music or noise.

A side benefit of this is that if you fill the storage medium, the
system may crash and not bother anybody else.

John

--
John De Armond, WD4OQC                     | "I can't drive 85!"
Sales Technologies, Inc.    Atlanta, GA    | Sammy Hagar driving

wgh@ubbpc.UUCP (William G. Hutchison) (01/12/89)

In article <3366@sdsu.UUCP>, roetzhei@sdsu.UUCP (William Roetzheim) writes:

>   I hate phone solicitations of all types.  [ ... ]
>   BUT, I am totally at a lose when it comes to computers (recorded voices)
> which call me up to bother me.  I get five or six of these calls per
> week!  Any suggestions for how to wreck havoc with a computer solicitor?

(1) Leave a recording on their machine threatening to file complaints against
    them with
    (a) The Interstate Commerce Commission
    (b) The FCC, etc.

    Do not worry whether those agencies care: the caller will have to evaluate
    the empty threats.

(2) Get an answering machine and let the two machines bother each other.

(3) Note the phone number of the solicitation firm, and then call them back
    with phony orders (do not do this from your own phone!).  Find phone booths
    that are infrequently used, call the phone solicitation firm from the
    pay phone, then leave the phone off the hook.

(4) Insult the phone solicitation staff (but do not use obscenities, so they
    cannot sue you).

Extra technique:  I do not have an unlisted number, my phone number is
listed under a fictitious name, let's say "Joe Doakes".  When one of the
phone scum calls me and asks for "Joe Doakes", I say "There's no one here by
that name".  A related tactic for junk mail: have all your mail sent to a
private mail box (U.S. Postal Service P.O. Boxes are bad because the Postal
Service service stinks).  Even if you get on a mailing list for trash, the
trash does not go to your home.
--
Bill Hutchison, DP Consultant	rutgers!liberty!burdvax!ubbpc!wgh
Unisys UNIX Portation Center

bill@cosi.UUCP (Bill Michaelson) (01/13/89)

In article <3366@sdsu.UUCP>, roetzhei@sdsu.UUCP (William Roetzheim) writes:

>   I hate phone solicitations of all types.  I am able to get some sense
> of revenge with the personal callers by either:  1. trying to sell them
> [stuff deleted]
>   BUT, I am totally at a lose when it comes to computers (recorded voices)
> which call me up to bother me.  I get five or six of these calls per
> week!  Any suggestions for how to wreck havoc with a computer solicitor?

My solution is to take the bait.  Respond to these calls as if you are
genuinely interested in the product.  A call from a live saleperson will
likely follow.  Then you can tell them what you think of their sales
technique.

Six per week?  Really?  I don't get nearly that many from the automatic
telemarketers.  Perhaps you should get one of those gizmos that screens
calls by requiring the caller to dial an additional code after connecting.
--
Bill Michaelson - uh... princeton!mccc!cosi!bill, I think.
also at... Voice 609-771-6705  CompuServe 72416,1026

root@spdyne.UUCP (01/13/89)

I answered one of those right up till it asked me:

	May we have your phone number?

I said politely: No.

	It said, "I don't think I got that, could you repeat it?"

(My answer was too short to be a phone number)

	I then hung up.

After all, If the programmer was worth anything at all, they would have
my PHONE NUMBER!!

	- Chert Pellett
	  root@spdyne

ray3rd@ssc-vax.UUCP (Ray E Saddler III) (01/14/89)

In article <3735@attcan.UUCP>, hjespers@attcan.UUCP (Hans Jespersen) suggests:
> In article <3366@sdsu.UUCP> roetzhei@sdsu.UCSD.EDU (William Roetzheim) asks:
> >
> > [ stuff deleted about getting revenge on telemarketers ]
> >
> > Any suggestions for how to wreck havoc with a computer solicitor?
>
> If they leave a return phone number you could always set up your modem
> to give them a call (say every minute on the minute for an hour). Such
> drastic actions are in all probability illegal.

I'm not sure if this suggestion is actually illegal, but in reading
your suggestion, I recall an incident within the last few years
where a pissed-off person 'wrecked havoc' on a religious toll free
number to tie up the lines.  I believe his point was that many
innocent people were being convinced to call the prayer line and
contribute to their cau$e.  The havoc wrecker was caught, entire
computer system confiscated and I beleive there were court
activities that followed.  Anybody out there remember this incident
or details?

My suggestion is, if your bothered by persistant phone soliciters
don't take direct revenge action yourself, there are other ways to
'get back' at them such as reporting un-ethical or distasteful
business practices to the Better Business Bureau.

--
| Ray E. Saddler III       |    __  __ __       __ |   Path: ..!ssc-vax!ray3rd |
| Boeing Aerospace         |   / / / //   //| //   | From: ray3rd@ssc-vax.UUCP |

tim@opoxsrv.i.intel.com.ogc.edu (01/14/89)

In article <3735@attcan.UUCP> hjespers@attcan.UUCP (Hans Jespersen) writes:
>In article <3366@sdsu.UUCP> roetzhei@sdsu.UCSD.EDU (William Roetzheim) writes:
>>week!  Any suggestions for how to wreck havoc with a computer solicitor?
>If they leave a return phone number you could always set up your modem
>to give them a call (say every minute on the minute for an hour). Such

You would have to plan ahead for the following,

Keep a tape recorder handy near the phone (or use the answering machine's
tape) and record the whole computer solicitor's message, including the
pauses (with no answers).  Then call the number given (be sure it will not
cost you any money to call, there are some setups that get you to call
their 900 or 976 number and you will get charged $$$, I mean many dollars!)
when the operator answers the phone, play back the computer solicitor to
him/her.  It might freak them out to get a call from their own "computer"
:-) ;-)

Tim Forsyth
tim@opoxsrv.i.intel.com
OEM Platforms Operation, Intel Corp., Hillsboro, OR

Bill Hutchinson wrote:

> (2) Get an answering machine and let the two machines bother each other.
	^^ This happened to me last week! It was Hilarious. The message
must have been one of those electronic 'please hold I have an Important
Message for you' because I recorded the last part of ..message for you..
then a few seconds later a human came on and said "Mister Sparks, Have
I .... Mr. Sparks? Are your there? Hello? Hello!? click"

It was great. Answering machines are the best. let the machines fight it out.

Don't you hate machines that call you up and put you on HOLD???
The nerve of some of these people!!

   John Sparks   // Amiga  |  corpane : sparks@corpane
      a.k.a    \X/  UUCP   |  blitter : john@blitter (preferred; path below)
     RedHawk               |  {rutgers|uunet}!ukma!corpane!disk!blitter!john
 (Realm's 1st Astronaut)   |  >> call D.I.S.K. @ 502/968-5401 thru -5406 <<

Ye Quote:
Ideas don't stay in some minds very long because they don't like
solitary confinement.

buck@siswat.UUCP (A. Lester Buck) (01/15/89)

> In article <3735@attcan.UUCP> hjespers@attcan.UUCP (Hans Jespersen) writes:
> >In article <3366@sdsu.UUCP> roetzhei@sdsu.UCSD.EDU (William Roetzheim) writes:
> >>week!  Any suggestions for how to wreck havoc with a computer solicitor?
> >If they leave a return phone number you could always set up your modem
> >to give them a call (say every minute on the minute for an hour). Such

Gosh, what is on those computer calls?  I have NEVER listened to one.
It takes approximately 0.5 second to figure out it is not a human
and hang up.  End of interrupt processing, back to productive work.
Anything else and they win by putting you in a bad mood or wasting
time thinking of revenge.

Ok, I did listen to one once that filled my answering machine for
a few minutes with questions to a survey, followed by BEEEEEPPP to
indicate where I was to answer.  And there is a bill I pay quarterly
that is due monthly, and once their computer called with a message
"Please hold for an operator from XYZ, we will be with you momentarily".
Almost died laughing listening to the operator's response when only
my answering machine was there...

But, if you are determined to fight back, here are descriptions of
two products that are available in Japan, from an article entitled
"Now, Why Didn't I Think of That?" in the January 1989 "Sales
& Marketing Management" (don't ask how I was reading that...):

	A Machine That Takes on Obscene Callers

	How do you deal with unwanted phone calls, including heavy
	breathers and telephone marketers?  Change your number?
	No.  Sony's Telephone Keyboard answering machine offers
	prerecorded fight-back messages.  Access any message by
	selecting a key when you pick up the phone.  Press one key
	and a threatening male voice yells out, "What the ----
	do *you* want?!"  Press another key and the ear of the
	offending party gets shot with a blast of 100 decibels.
	Cost: Y17,000 (about 130Y/$).

	The Revenge Telephone (also by Sony) uses an integrated
	circuit to repeat an obscene message at a caller for as
	long as he is on the line.

--
A. Lester Buck		...!uhnix1!moray!siswat!buck

keithh@atreus.uucp (Keith Hanlan) (01/17/89)

In article <3366@sdsu.UUCP> roetzhei@sdsu.UCSD.EDU (William Roetzheim) writes:

>  I hate phone solicitations of all types.
The novelty wears off very fast doesn't it?
>  BUT, I am totally at a lose when it comes to computers (recorded voices)
>which call me up to bother me.  I get five or six of these calls per
>week!  Any suggestions for how to wreck havoc with a computer solicitor?

	In Canada, the use of automatic dialing-announcing devices is governed
	by the CRTC General Tariff 6716, Item 4250 ("Restrictions On The Use
	Of Automatic Dialing-Announcing Devices (ADAD)")

	The salient points are as follows:

	2. In order to attach a "Restricted ADAD" to the Company's
	   facilities, the customer must so advise the Company, in writing,
	   specifying the kind of ADAD to be connected and providing
	   estimates of the volume, duration, and time distribution of calls
	   expected to be made on a daily basis.

	4. A Restricted ADAD shall not be used for sequential or random
	   dialing.

	5. A Restricted ADAD shall be disconnected within 10 seconds after
	   the called party hangs up.

	6. Calls from a Restricted ADAD shall commence with a statement
	   specifyingthe identity of the caller, the nature of the call, and
	   that the called party may terminate the call by hangin up.

	7. Calls from a Restricted ADAD may only be placed between 9:30AM
	   and 8:00PM Monday through Friday, between 10:30AM and 5:00PM on
	   Saturday and between 12:00 Noon and 5:00PM on Sunday.

	9. Telephone service to a Restricted ADAD may be discontinued 5 days
	   after notice from the Company of any violation of these or
	   restrictions or 1 day after notice of a violation of these
	   restrictions that results in network congestion or blockage.

The most interesting rule, in my view, is the stipulation that the
called party must be told that he can terminate the call by hanging up.
In my, admittedly limited, experience I have never heard this piece of
information.

After talking to Bell Canada, I learned another point. It is possible to
pick up the phone and call their business office and asked to be removed
from the list that they provide to the company which sells these lists.
There is no charge or writing required.

I would be interested to learn how the corresponding laws vary in other
places.

I have cross-posted this query to comp.risks as well. I suspect that
this issue has been hashed there before and that a suitably large body
of experience could offer other suggestions and related issues.

Keith Hanlan
Bell-Northern Research
{uunet!attcan!}utgpu!bnr-vpa!bnr-fos!bmers6!keithh <- haven't tried this yet