[comp.misc] radiation

pokey@well.UUCP (Jef Poskanzer) (01/19/89)

In the referenced message, dlawyer@balboa.eng.uci.edu. (David Lawyer) wrote:
>>[What about x-rays from CRT terminals?  Filter screens are being sold.]
>Not only are there federal regulations, but I've read that tests show
>that the x-rays are actually much less than the regulations allow.
>Thus I don't think there is anything to be concerned about.

I agree that there is nothing to be concerned about (except possibly if
you are using a high-res _color_ screen as a workstation).  However,
the fact that a CRT meets federal regulations (a) is not surprising and
(b) doesn't mean shit.  A few years ago when my group got the latest
color screen to port our CAD software to, I took the time to look up
the applicable regulations and do the proper unit conversions (units
for radiation are a mess).  It turns out that the regulations allow
exposure equivalent to a chest X-ray every three or four weeks.

Don't get me wrong, I doubt that there is any CRT anywhere that
actually emits that much.  It's just that the regulations are almost
totally useless; and likewise the government that enacted them!
---
Jef

             Jef Poskanzer   jef@rtsg.ee.lbl.gov   ...well!pokey
  "We find interference in others' affairs... most disgusting." -- Ayelborne