[comp.misc] MacNFS

hjp@bambam.UUCP (Howard J. Postley) (08/27/88)

I am looking for an NFS (only client side necessary) implementation
for the Mac. I have looked at NCSA, U of Mich. stuff, Kinetics TCPort,
etc. All I can find is Telnet and FTP support. I need NFS.  TOPS doesn't
do it at all. Anyone have any pointers? I know of at least 8 places
who are telling me "real soon now," which means 3-8 months.

Is there any wat to get the U of M stuff or does Apple have a lock
on it until Jan '89?

Please respond via email, I will summarize.

Thanks in advance,
//howard
--
Howard Postley      usenet:  uunet!bambam!hjp
On Word             phone:   +1 213 399 7733

nicolas@cui.UUCP (MAYENCOURT Nicolas) (01/24/89)

In the university of Geneva, we are using a lot of SUNs and Mac (SE, II).
We are interested in using MacNFS.
All we know is that MacNFS has been developed by the Centre for Information
Technology Integration (CITI) group of the Information Technology Division
of the University of Michigan.

Has anybody any experiences (good/bad) with MacNFS, and/or the e-mail adress
of the CITI.

We want to know the cost of this software, if extra materiel is needed,
and so on...

Thanks in advance

Nicolas MAYENCOURT                   | nicolas@cuisun.unige.ch
Centre Universitaire d'Informatique  | nicolas%cuisun.unige.ch@csnet-relay.csnet
Universite de Geneve                 | ucbvax!cernvax!cui!nicolas

12 rue du LAC                        |
CH-1205 GENEVE                       |

shane@chablis.cc.umich.edu (Shane Looker) (01/25/89)

In article <323@cui.UUCP> nicolas@cui.UUCP (MAYENCOURT Nicolas) writes:

>All we know is that MacNFS has been developed by the Centre for Information
>Technology Integration (CITI) group of the Information Technology Division
>of the University of Michigan.
>
>We want to know the cost of this software, if extra materiel is needed,
>and so on...
>
>Nicolas MAYENCOURT                   | nicolas@cuisun.unige.ch
>Centre Universitaire d'Informatique  | nicolas%cuisun.unige.ch@csnet-relay.csnet
>Universite de Geneve                 | ucbvax!cernvax!cui!nicolas

Well, I don't speak for CITI, but MacNFS was developed under contract to
Apple.  Apple owns all rights to MacNFS, and gets to decide if and when
it will make it available.  (This is to the best of my understanding.)

CITIs address is citi.umich.edu, but I don't know who you would talk to there
about it.  If you really want a physical mail address, send me mail and I'll
dig it up.

Shane Looker   |  Looker@um.cc.umich.edu | shane@chablis.cc.umich.edu