[comp.misc] telephone solicitors

jeffd@ficc.uu.net (jeff daiell) (01/18/89)

I'm curious as to why there is such hostility to telephone
solicitors.  Is their attempt to make a living not
analogous to someone applying for work at a company
that has not advertised for help?

I get called frequently, and sometimes the product is
something I want.  Usually not, whereupon I politely
say so.  Now, if the person persists, I get hostile,
but otherwise we part on cordial terms.

Besides, you might make a friend that way.  I'm seeing a
woman now who does phone work for a rug-cleaning firm.

With computer solicitation, if you don't care to buy, just
say so, or hang up.

Keep in mind that there are people who,  even in good times --
which these are not -- can make a living no other way.  This
certainly doesn't oblige you to buy, but I would hope it would
pursuade you to be polite.

Jeff Daiell
(opinions my own, until taxed away)

INDEPENDENCE FOR TEXAS!

--

              "You should see me when I'm rested."

                              -- from "Brigadoon"

thomson@hub.toronto.edu (Brian Thomson) (01/18/89)

In article <2780@ficc.uu.net> jeffd@ficc.uu.net (jeff daiell) writes:

>Keep in mind that there are people who,  even in good times --
>which these are not -- can make a living no other way.

I have always felt that if someone is annoying you, it really doesn't
really matter whether they are paid to annoy you or are just
naturally pesky.  "I'm just doing my job" is a lousy excuse.
--
		    Brian Thomson,	    CSRI Univ. of Toronto
		    utcsri!uthub!thomson, thomson@hub.toronto.edu

duncan@geppetto.ctt.bellcore.com (Scott Duncan) (01/19/89)

In article <2780@ficc.uu.net> jeffd@ficc.uu.net (jeff daiell) writes:

>I'm curious as to why there is such hostility to telephone solicitors.
	[...]
>With computer solicitation, if you don't care to buy, just
>say so, or hang up.

	[...]
>pursuade you to be polite.

Well, I have two problems with such solicitations:

	1) The one's by machine where they expect you to cooperate with
	   their effort to sell you something but give you little or no
	   chance to engage in any discussion, i.e., THEY are saving money
	   by doing it via a message machine but YOU are expected to spend
	   your time listening;

	1) The one's done by people who do not allow you to say NO thanks
	   before they finish their prepared message or argue with you a
	   bit about saying so.  I dislike being put in a position where I
	   must be impolite by hanging up on a real person.

Speaking only for myself, of course, I am...
Scott P. Duncan (duncan@ctt.bellcore.com OR ...!bellcore!ctt!duncan)
                (Bellcore, 444 Hoes Lane  RRC 1H-210, Piscataway, NJ  08854)
                (201-699-3910 (w)   201-463-3683 (h))

wwg@brambo.UUCP (Warren W. Gay) (01/24/89)

In article <2780@ficc.uu.net> jeffd@ficc.uu.net (jeff daiell) writes:

>I'm curious as to why there is such hostility to telephone
>solicitors.  Is their attempt to make a living not
>analogous to someone applying for work at a company
>that has not advertised for help?
>Jeff Daiell

Isn't this obvious?  If you've ever been doing anything other than waiting
for the phone to ring, then its SIMPLY A *&^*&^*&^ NUISANCE!  When I'm at
home, I want to be able to relax if I choose to. There's enuf interruptions
(though welcomed) from family and friends.

Its especially annoying when I'm on the throne, and have to finish my business
quickly because I'm expecting an important call, JUST TO BE PUT ON HOLD BY A
MACHINE!  Or worse yet, be called by the newspaper company that I already
subscribe to, just to be asked IF I WANNA SUBSCRIBE!  GRRRRRR!

Its also annoying to be interrupted in the middle of a QSO (amateur radio
"conversation", often in Morse Code), only to find out that it was one
of these nuisance calls.

Here's another flaming reason!  You get stuck babysitting your kids, and
you get halfway thru changing a messy diaper just to be asked if you
WANNA SIGN UP FOR A FUNERAL PLOT!   SNARL, BITE, GRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope you're not supporting this crazy nuisance!  Our next phone number
we get will be unlisted, and that will immediately identify the random/
sequential callers!  At the moment we have a fictitious name in the
phone book, so now I can immediately respond with "What are you selling?".
If they don't tell me in 2 sentences or less, I hang up- BANG!!!!!!!!!

Its bad enuf that everyone that is too lazy to work at a real job, comes
to the door for hand outs!

GRRR!!!!!!  I hope I've said enuf!

73s de VE3WWG (Warren)..............LSI represents Large Scale Investment,
.................transistors are "discrete", but tubes are just plain fun.
................Bramalea Software Systems Inc...!utgpu!telly \ !brambo!wwg
...................!{uunet!mnetor, watmath!utai}!lsuc!ncrcan /

tbetz@spies.UUCP (Tom Betz) (01/27/89)

Quoth jeffd@ficc.uu.net (jeff daiell) in <2780@ficc.uu.net>:

|I'm curious as to why there is such hostility to telephone
|solicitors.  Is their attempt to make a living not
|analogous to someone applying for work at a company
|that has not advertised for help?

It doesn't bother me if someone solicits my business via telephone.

However, I rarely have the time nor the inclination to listen to a
(usually scripted) telephone sales pitch.  At the first opportunity,
as politely as possible, I say, "I'm afraid I don't have time to listen
to a sales pitch right now.  However, if you will mail me a brochure or
catalog of your products, I'll be happy to review it and call you back
when I do have the time."

So far, I have not a) had one of those phone calls last more than 15
seconds longer, or b) had a single brochure, or even letter, sent to
me from one of those solicitors.

If a salesperson is not sufficiently interested to follow up on the
opening I offer, why should I expect that salesperson to be offering
me either worthwhile products or worthwhile service?

|I get called frequently, and sometimes the product is
|something I want.  Usually not, whereupon I politely
|say so.  Now, if the person persists, I get hostile,
|but otherwise we part on cordial terms.

I prefer to make my position firm at the beginning of the
conversation.  If the solicitor will not accept my terms, then
both of us benefit, and neither of us wastes our time.

|Besides, you might make a friend that way.  I'm seeing a
|woman now who does phone work for a rug-cleaning firm.

Well, you are fortunate to have time to spare for such purposes
in the midst of your business day.  Some of us do not.

--
  "One of these days the Hoover factory     |  Tom Betz       EAA#48267
    is gonna be all the rage in those       |  ZCNY, Yonkers, NY 10701-2509

rjg@sialis.mn.org (Robert J. Granvin) (01/29/89)

>However, I rarely have the time nor the inclination to listen to a
>(usually scripted) telephone sales pitch.  At the first opportunity,
>as politely as possible, I say, "I'm afraid I don't have time to listen
>to a sales pitch right now.  However, if you will mail me a brochure or
>catalog of your products, I'll be happy to review it and call you back
>when I do have the time."

It's nice to see someone take a civil and polite resolution to the
situation for a change.

>So far, I have not a) had one of those phone calls last more than 15
>seconds longer, or b) had a single brochure, or even letter, sent to
>me from one of those solicitors.
>
>If a salesperson is not sufficiently interested to follow up on the
>opening I offer, why should I expect that salesperson to be offering
>me either worthwhile products or worthwhile service?

Unfortunately, here's basically the root of the problem...

Nearly every company that does telephone soliciting does not, and
does not want to maintain, an inhouse telemarketing force.  This type
of staff is generally expensive, and is better handled by professional
marketing firms.  You have labor costs (telemarketers may not be
exceptionally highly paid, but you have a lot of them), space costs
(they have to reside somewhere), and nearly all such systems require a
computer based telemarketing package to make the system work
efficiently.  So, throw in a computer system, a slew of terminals, and
everything else associated with that.

The drawback here, of course, is that the telemarketer may or may not
be familiar with the product.  It depends on how well the marketing
firm trains it's staff, and how well the contracting company supplies
adequate information.

In addition, most companies make a decision to either market their
product by phone, or market their product by mail.  They usually do
not choose both.  Therefore, brochures may not exist.  (On the other
hand, if they did, you'd probably still receive one (the mailing list
would more than likely be identical), and would then be considered
"junk mail").

The telemarketing staff also probably does not operate on commission,
but on an hourly wage.  Whether they make a sale or not may not be of
concern to them.  Unfortunately, some companies will offset a low
pressure sales pitch with high volume calling.  :-(

There are many different types of telemarketing firms in existance
too.  The ones you remember are usually the bad ones.

Some small "Mobile Carpet Cleaning Sheisters" employ more
telemarketers than carpet cleaners, and they're instructed to be
high-pressure.  These types stick out in your mind for a long time (up
to eternity) even if you only get one call like it.

Other larger companies may employ an inhouse telemarketing staff, or
hire an external one, but base their wage on commissions.  They can be
just as bad as the above.  The worst and most offensive calls I have
ever gotten were from USA Today.  A newspaper (if you can call it
that... People magazine in a daily form) doesn't need to verbally
offend a possible customer when that persons is showing signs of not
be currently interested.  Of course, they also shouldn't be spending
excesses of time on a long distance call to that person either.  :-)
Interestingly enough, USA Today never responded to my letter of
complaint.  Oh well.

Anyways, a large majority of companies are much more responsible.  If
you get called by them, it's because your demographic information
matches their requirements.  This means that there is a fair chance
that you may at least be mildly interested in the product.  Most of
these firms do not employ a high pressure sales tactic.  They don't
need to.  Since they're not just hitting "gobs o' people" in an area,
they're hitting various "reasonable people" in that area.  So instead
of using the saturation bombing approach, they work on a surgical
strike method.  What's _really_ unfortunate (or fortunate, depending
on how you look at it), is that you will get very few calls from these
types of firms.  However, you'll always be innundated by the
saturation folx.  When you get 10 calls, and 8 of them are high
pressure or offensive in some way, or you're just plainly not
interested, it's apparent what your opinions will be of the whole
service.  Also, if everyone used a logical approach to selecting who
to call, the volume of actual sales calls you receive may go down
dramatically and the interest level may go up.  Too bad a lot of firms
don't do this.

The last general type of firm is a very specific type of marketing
firm.  If someone is selling a new product, they will only call the
identified purchasing representative of that firm and explain the
product.  Similarly, these types of firms also may be in the
"fulfillment" business.  If they call you it's usually because you
have responded to a mailing or some other method and indicated an
interest.  In any case, these firms almost always are hired to also
mail a sample of the product to any interested company or person.
(These are the kind of telemarketing firms that is difficult to get
angry with.  After all, you told _them_ that you were interested).

>I prefer to make my position firm at the beginning of the
>conversation.  If the solicitor will not accept my terms, then
>both of us benefit, and neither of us wastes our time.

With the majority of friendly, reasonable telemarketing firms, or at
least the telemarketer, this is more than reasonable.  They don't want
to interrupt you at home and then convince you buy something that you
don't want, but they do want to do their job.  By making your position
clear with most people, you not only don't waste your time, they don't
end up wasting their time.

Phone Solicitor bashing is a popular sport around here.  It keeps
coming back.  But your best method for sending a signal to the people
causing the calls to be made is to mail a letter explaining why you
are offended to the company of the product being sold.

However, as with everything else, don't lump the friendly courteous
and responsible firms into your bashing.  These are the ones that are
actually trying to provide you with a useful product, not just line
their pockets in green.

--
       Robert J. Granvin            "A cowboy should know his horse, but it
 National Information Services       seemed to the podners at the Triple Q

jf@cci632.UUCP (Jens Fiederer) (01/31/89)

Does anybody make a device that intercepts the ringing of your phone,
picks up the phone, allows the caller to enter (touch tone or pulse)
an n-digit security code, and only physically rings the bell if the right
code is entered?  It seems to me that would be a better way of handling
the telephone solicitation problem than just complaining about it.  If you
DO want unsolicited calls, the option for those who don't pass the security
check might be to leave a BRIEF message that you can thereafter review in
batch mode.....

Jens