[comp.misc] Viruses, references and request for information

friedman@porthos.rutgers.edu (Gadi ) (02/21/89)

In article <811@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu> jwright@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu (Jim Wright) writes:

> In article <409@odin.cs.hw.ac.uk> davidf@cs.hw.ac.uk (David.J.Ferbrache) writes:
> }security, and will be available in late May. Distribution of the technical
>                                               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> }report will be restricted to people who have a legitimate interest
>  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> }Dave Ferbrache

> secrecy is by no means equivalent to security.  Witness the NBS's
> DES (National Bureau of Standards' Data Encryption Standard).  The
> essence of its security lies not in the fact that the encoding
> scheme is some (hard-to-maintain) secret, but rather in the fact that
> a clever way has been found to take advantage of what is today a
> known computationally "difficult" problem.
> Jim Wright

Not that I agree with Dave's intention of restricting the distribution
of the Virsus TR.  (I'd love to read a copy)  However, DES is a bad
example.  Because the DES algorithm is so well known, it is no longer
considered very secure.  Any organization with a fast Cray can crack
it in 8-10hrs.  Sure, its  more than you can do with your Apple II, but
lots of organizations can do it.

Newer more secure algorithms have have been developed by the NSA, and
they are not planning to divulge what they are.  They will just sell
you a chip that does the encription/decription.  The problem is that
problems that are "known computationally difficult" today, might not
be so difficult later.

                                 Gadi
--

uucp:   {ames,att,harvard,ucbvax,iuvax}!rutgers!aramis.rutgers.edu!friedman
arpa:   FRIEDMAN@ARAMIS.RUTGERS.EDU