[comp.misc] Purdue systems

shapiro@rb-dc1.UUCP (Mike Shapiro) (02/24/89)

In article <926@afit-ab.arpa> mproicou@galaxy.afit.af.mil (Michael C. Proicou) writes:
>In article <133@cbnewsc.ATT.COM> tjr@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (thomas.j.roberts) writes:
>>At Purdue University, 1968-71, the Computer Center used a CDC-6500
>>machine, and was involved in developing a new OS for it, called MACE.
>>MACE was based upon CDC's OS, in large part.
>>
>At Purdue University, 1981-85, the Computer Center used a CDC-6500
>machine, and a old OS for it, called MACE.
>I think MACE pre-dated CDC's operatind system (NOS?).
>Still no terminals, tho'.  The computer center put in PDP-11 and
>VAX's as keypunch replacement starting in 1981.  I was part of the
>first class of CS students that never punched a card. :-)
>
>Mike CS '85

MACE was the name of the experimental operating system for the CDC-6x00
systems which was changed to KRONOS after chemical mace made its appearance
in the late 1960s.  Purdue made so many changes that we had a separate
version, which retained the name MACE.  (CDC later changed KRONOS to NOS.)
Actually, we had terminals hooked to it in the late 1960s or early 1970s.
Initially the terminals went through a front-end processor called an IBM
7094.  Later this was replaced by a Modcomp computer.

(For reference, I worked at the PUCC from 1967 through 1972.  I was a
graduate student, then full-time staff.  I finished my PhD in CS/EE from
Purdue in '72.  => These are my reminiscences, not those of my employer.)