[comp.misc] Turning Wordstar format into ASCII

kthompso@ptolemy.arc.nasa.gov (Kevin Thompson) (02/14/89)

I have on a UNIX system some files uploaded via kermit from a PC-compatible
in disgusting WordStar format.  I'm sure the translation to get rid of the
various random non-ASCII characters is trivial, but is there someone out
there who has a C/lisp/pascal program or pseudocode/reference to translate
it into nice happy ASCII?

Thanks in advance.  Prefer replies to address below, will monitor these groups.

Kevin
kthompso@[ptolemy|pluto].arc.nasa.gov     Sterling Software/Nasa-Ames RC
--
kthompso@[ptolemy|pluto].arc.nasa.gov     Sterling Software/Nasa-Ames RC

len@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Leonard P Levine) (02/15/89)

From article <989@thoreau.ptolemy.arc.nasa.gov>, by kthompso@ptolemy.arc.nasa.gov (Kevin Thompson):

> I have on a UNIX system some files uploaded via kermit from a PC-compatible
> in disgusting WordStar format.  I'm sure the translation to get rid of the

Which version of WS?  if 3 or 4 just clip the high bit.  If 5 more work is
to be done.

+ - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - +
| Leonard P. Levine               e-mail len@evax.milw.wisc.edu |
| Professor, Computer Science             Office (414) 229-5170 |
| University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee       Home   (414) 962-4719 |
| Milwaukee, WI 53201 U.S.A.              Modem  (414) 962-6228 |
+ - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - +

morris@jade.jpl.nasa.gov (Mike Morris) (02/15/89)

>> I have on a UNIX system some files uploaded via kermit from a PC-compatible
>> in disgusting WordStar format.  I'm sure the translation to get rid of the
>
>Which version of WS?  if 3 or 4 just clip the high bit.  If 5 more work is
>to be done.

Don't be too quick to do that!!  It's a common belief that zeroing the high
bit is all that is needed.  The codes for several of the punctuation
characters are different (soft hyphen <> hyphen+80h, but I'm not sure)
Also, in my conversion program I dropped all soft spaces.  (When I changed
from CP/M to PC-DOS I also changed printers.  The new one was wider, and
all the line length / smooth right margin stuff had to be changed, so
ragged right files were easier to move.

US Snail:  Mike Morris                    UUCP: Morris@Jade.JPL.NASA.gov
           P.O. Box 1130                  Also: WA6ILQ
           Arcadia, Ca. 91006-1130
#Include disclaimer.standard     | The opinions above probably do not even

leonard@bucket.UUCP (Leonard Erickson) (02/25/89)

In article <824@jato.Jpl.Nasa.Gov> morris@jade.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (Mike Morris) writes:
<>>
<>> I have on a UNIX system some files uploaded via kermit from a PC-compatible
<>> in disgusting WordStar format.  I'm sure the translation to get rid of the
<>
<
<Don't be too quick to do that!!  It's a common belief that zeroing the high
<bit is all that is needed.  The codes for several of the punctuation
<characters are different (soft hyphen <> hyphen+80h, but I'm not sure)
<Also, in my conversion program I dropped all soft spaces.  (When I changed
<from CP/M to PC-DOS I also changed printers.  The new one was wider, and
<all the line length / smooth right margin stuff had to be changed, so
<ragged right files were easier to move.

Also on WS4, if there are any "graphics" characters in the file (ie 80h
thru FFh) they are stored as <1Bh><grahics char><1Ch>. So they have to
have the 1Bh and 1Ch stripped.
--
Leonard Erickson		...!tektronix!reed!percival!bucket!leonard
CIS: [70465,203]