[comp.misc] computer museum-was: ihnp4 powered down

wb8foz@cucstud.UUCP (David Lesher) (02/24/89)

In article <244@att.ATT.COM> dhp@att.ATT.COM (Price) writes
about donating to the computer museum.

Hmm, it seems to me the computer museum is the ideal place to
provide good publicity to the net. Many visitors go there
every year. While some are on our advanced level ;-}}, others
may know little or nothing of the Wonderful World of Usenet.
A terminal with 'rn' running all the time,
properly set up (no alt.conspiracy or talk.bizarre ;-}) would
provide great exposure to the fact Internet does something
other than feed worms.
	Besides some newsreader hacks (such as resetting the
.newsrc file for each visitor) all that is needed is a
terminal, a friendly local port, and a modem.
Any comments?

kenneth@turbo.RAY.COM (Kenny Crudup, still in Mass....) (02/28/89)

In article <1950@cucstud.UUCP>, wb8foz@cucstud.UUCP (David Lesher) writes:
> ...about donating to the computer museum.
> Hmm, it seems to me the computer museum is the ideal place to
> provide good publicity to the net.
> A terminal with 'rn' running all the time,
> properly set up (no alt.conspiracy or talk.bizarre ;-}) would
> provide great exposure to the fact Internet does something
> other than feed worms.
> Any comments?

Yeah- put a session limit on it! Usenet can be addictive!

BTW, what was ol' 'p4? An 'elevensomething'? Any stats on how many pieces
of mail (alone) went thru that machine?

--
Kenneth R. Crudup, Contractor, Raytheon AAS/CWS Development Group
1001 Boston Post Road, Marlboro, MA 01752

hollombe@ttidca.TTI.COM (The Polymath) (02/28/89)

In article <1950@cucstud.UUCP> wb8foz@cucstud.UUCP (David Lesher,Guest) writes:
}In article <244@att.ATT.COM> dhp@att.ATT.COM (Price) writes
}about donating to the computer museum.
}Hmm, it seems to me the computer museum is the ideal place to
}provide good publicity to the net. Many visitors go there
}every year. While some are on our advanced level ;-}}, others
}may know little or nothing of the Wonderful World of Usenet.
}A terminal with 'rn' running all the time,
}properly set up (no alt.conspiracy or talk.bizarre ;-}) would
}provide great exposure to the fact Internet does something
}other than feed worms.
}	Besides some newsreader hacks (such as resetting the
}.newsrc file for each visitor) all that is needed is a
}terminal, a friendly local port, and a modem.
}Any comments?

It would have to be a read-only interface.  Not many people are going to
hang around the museum for the typical one day to three weeks net
propagation and response time.  Besides, do we really want the maunderings
of the great unwashed taking up net bandwidth?

(Ok, so we'll create talk.computer.museum and let them scribble their
"Kilroy was here" graffitti on it.  We won't tell them it's local to the
museum's machine (-:{ ).

--
The Polymath (aka: Jerry Hollombe, hollombe@ttidca.tti.com)  Illegitimati Nil
Citicorp(+)TTI                                                 Carborundum

daveb@gonzo.UUCP (Dave Brower) (03/01/89)

In <1950@cucstud.UUCP> wb8foz@cucstud.UUCP (David Lesher,Guest) writes:
>In article <244@att.ATT.COM> dhp@att.ATT.COM (Price) writes
>about donating to the computer museum.
>
>Hmm, it seems to me the computer museum is the ideal place to
>provide good publicity to the net...
>A terminal with 'rn' running all the time,
>properly set up (no alt.conspiracy or talk.bizarre ;-}) would
>provide great exposure to the fact Internet does something
>other than feed worms...
>	Besides some newsreader hacks (such as resetting the
>.newsrc file for each visitor) all that is needed is a
>terminal, a friendly local port, and a modem.
>Any comments?

This is the start of a neat idea.  More interesting would be a net
"time-machine", where you'd get different slices of the net at various
times.  Setup three or four time slices - way way back, way back, just
pre-uunet and nntp (circa "death of the backbone cabal") and "now".

Does anyone have a spool directory on tape from the dawn of time?  How
about a backup containing article 1 of net.general on a historically
significant system?

(You'd probably want to limit visitors to 10 minutes an era.)

-dB
--
"I came here for an argument." "Oh.  This is getting hit on the head"
{sun,mtxinu,amdahl,hoptoad}!rtech!gonzo!daveb	daveb@gonzo.uucp