[comp.misc] MIT worm report

mcp2@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Michael C Polinske) (02/24/89)

Does anybody out in net.land happen to have a .dvi, n/troff, La/TeX or
plain ASCII version of the MIT worm report which is on bitsy.mit.edu?

The reason I am asking is because none of the printers on campus are
capable of printing postscript files and we don't have the program postscript.

I know there is a program to convert dvi files to PS files but does
anybody have a program to convert from PS to dvi files?  Just curious.

Thanks in advance.
--
|snail mail: Michael Charles Polinske	|email:	mcp2@csd4.milw.wisc.edu	|
|	     5730 North 68th St.	|			       	|

In article <1239@csd4.milw.wisc.edu> mcp2@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Michael C Polinske) writes:
>Does anybody out in net.land happen to have a .dvi, n/troff, La/TeX or
>plain ASCII version of the MIT worm report which is on bitsy.mit.edu?

I talked to one of the authors, and he has placed the LaTeX sources
for the report in ~ftp/pub/virus/virus.tex.tar.Z on bitsy.mit.edu.

Hope this helps.

Jonathan Kamens			              USnail:
MIT Project Athena				410 Memorial Drive, No. 223F
jik@Athena.MIT.EDU				Cambridge, MA 02139-4318
Office: 617-253-4261			      Home: 617-225-8218

ray3rd@ssc-vax.UUCP (Ray E Saddler III) (02/26/89)

In article <9420@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU>, jik@athena.mit.edu (Jonathan I. Kamens) writes: [serious concerns i'm sure!]
> In article <1239@csd4.milw.wisc.edu> mcp2@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Michael C Polinske) writes: [more concerns i'm not refering to...]
> blah... blah... blah...
>
> I talked to one of the authors, and he has placed the LaTeX sources
> for the report in ~ftp/pub/virus/virus.tex.tar.Z on bitsy.mit.edu.

I'm curious as to the *ix version this compressed tar file is stored
due to to the fact that on BSD 4.2 (~2 years ago) I attempted to
create compressed tar files, only to have MAJOR difficulties
untaring the decompressed  files.  I believe there were core dumps
etc and other assorted problems.  Is this just a memory fault on my
part or have others experienced this in another life?  Does there
exist the capability of compressing tar files AND decompressing and
tar extraction?  Eh?  David Letterman wants to know...(me too!!!)

advaTHANKSnce - Ray @ the BOEING UNIX DUDE RANCH
			  (a nonexistand, not-for profit agency)

--
| Ray E. Saddler III       |    __  __ __       __ |   Path: ..!ssc-vax!ray3rd |
| Boeing Aerospace         |   / / / //   //| //   | From: ray3rd@ssc-vax.UUCP |

jonathan@itcatl.UUCP (Jonathan Peterson) (02/28/89)

In article <2523@ssc-vax.UUCP>, ray3rd@ssc-vax.UUCP (Ray E Saddler III) writes:
> In article <9420@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU>, jik@athena.mit.edu (Jonathan I. Kamens) writes: [serious concerns i'm sure!]
> >
> > I talked to one of the authors, and he has placed the LaTeX sources
> > for the report in ~ftp/pub/virus/virus.tex.tar.Z on bitsy.mit.edu.
> >

> I'm curious as to the *ix version this compressed tar file is stored
> due to to the fact that on BSD 4.2 (~2 years ago) I attempted to
> create compressed tar files, only to have MAJOR difficulties
> untaring the decompressed  files.  I believe there were core dumps
> etc and other assorted problems.  Is this just a memory fault on my
> part or have others experienced this in another life?  Does there
> exist the capability of compressing tar files AND decompressing and
> tar extraction?  Eh?  David Letterman wants to know...(me too!!!)

I do this all the time on our DEC Ultrix v3.0 uVaxes.
tar -cvf foo.tar *.c
compress foo.tar
# I then uucp the little guy, and on a remote system...
compress -d foo.tar.Z
tar -xvf foo.tar
# never had a problem.

You might want to ask comp.unix.wizards if there is a problem with old
releases of tar or compress.  I know for sure compress is different in
V3.0 than previous (don't know how, of course).
jonny

#include <stdisclaimer.h>
jonathan@itcatl.gatech.edu|  "There are things you don't know about me Dottie...
       DISC Access        |   Things you wouldn't understand,
   Products Group, Inc.   |   things you couldn't understand,
       Atlanta, GA        |   things you SHOULDN'T understand."

john@wpi.wpi.edu (John F Stoffel) (03/02/89)

I just got a copy of Empire from berkley that was first tar'd and then
compressed.  We had absolutely not problems whatsoever getting it back
to normal.  The problem might be that you were using *older* versions
of the two programs that didn't like each other, but then again, I'm
just guessing.

John Stoffel        | john@wpi.bitnet    | What can you expect of a day
WPI, Box 2432       | john@wpi.wpi.edu   | that begins with getting up
Worcester, MA 01609 | husc6!m2c!wpi!john | in the morning?
	 	--Damm the Disclaimers!  Full flame ahead!--