[comp.misc] was: Don't look back. What about looking east?

gld@CUNIXD.CC.COLUMBIA.EDU (Gary L Dare) (03/13/89)

In article <21572@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> Mike Loving wrote:

>I personally think that it is sad that so few people in the US speak
>ANY foreign language.  I think that requiring two foreign languages for
>a Ph.D. is a bit extreme but I think one would be a good thing.

When I got moved to Montreal for a summer job, I was a victim of
English-canadian high school french (i.e., I was totally useless) but
found that acquiring a new language helped me ferret out a lot of
useful information (esp. Telecommunications stuff in French) as well
as expanding my cultural horizons, in everyday life and (in my case)
as a Canadian.  The trick is to find a new language that is appealing
to your psychological make-up.  I think that North Americans have an
advantage at learning new languages because the base of our culture is
a synthesis of other cultures . . . and it's still changing, with the
advent of Asian tongues and (in the US) Spanish.

gld

PS: I think this discussion should move to comp.misc as we are out
of the architecture discussion . . .
--
 Gary L. Dare				> gld@eevlsi.ee.columbia.EDU
	"I AM SALMAN RUSHDIE"		> gld@cunixc.BITNET