[comp.misc] vi-like editor for the IBM PC

myron@nvuxl.UUCP (02/27/89)

I am curious if there is an editor software available that is similar (the more
the better) to the UNIX vi editor, but can be run from an IBM-PC in MS-DOS.

I would appreciate any help!

genemans@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Jan Genemans) (02/27/89)

myron@nvuxl.UUCP writes:

>I am curious if there is an editor software available that is similar (the more
>the better) to the UNIX vi editor, but can be run from an IBM-PC in MS-DOS.

I too would like to know where I could get my hands on one.
So could you please post it.  Thanks.

Jan K. Genemans, at USMMA                        genemans@eleazar.dartmouth.edu

rsmith@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Rusty Smith, MACC) (02/27/89)

In article <688@nvuxl.UUCP>, myron@nvuxl.UUCP writes...

>I am curious if there is an editor software available that is similar (the more
>the better) to the UNIX vi editor, but can be run from an IBM-PC in MS-DOS.
>
>I would appreciate any help!

There was a version of Vi posted to Comp.binaries.ibm.pc on Feb 19.

Rusty Smith			Internet:  rsmith@vms.macc.wisc.edu
MACC Data Communications	Bitnet:    rsmith@wiscmacc
(608)  263-6307			Univ. of Wisconsin @ Madison

ked@garnet.berkeley.edu (Earl H. Kinmonth) (02/28/89)

In article <688@nvuxl.UUCP> myron@nvuxl.UUCP writes:

>the better) to the UNIX vi editor, but can be run from an IBM-PC in MS-DOS.

MKS (Mortice Kern Systems)
35 King Street
Waterloo, Ontario N2J 2W9
800-265-2797 (voice orders)
519-884-8861 (fax)

Offers a variety of packages that include vi, awk, and other **IX utilities.
These are as close to the "real" thing as you can get under MiSerable Dos.

No connection with the company except as a very, very satisfied user.

debra@alice.UUCP (Paul De Bra) (02/28/89)

In article <12406@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> genemans@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Jan Genemans) writes:
}myron@nvuxl.UUCP writes:
}
}>I am curious if there is an editor software available that is similar (the more
}>the better) to the UNIX vi editor, but can be run from an IBM-PC in MS-DOS.
}
>I too would like to know where I could get my hands on one.
}So could you please post it.  Thanks.

There is a produkt call the MKS toolkit that has lots of Unix utilities
running on MS-DOS or PC-DOS. Look in your favorite magazine for adds.

Paul.
|debra@research.att.com   | uunet!research!debra     |

nolan@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Michael C. Nolan) (02/28/89)

Custom Software Systems P.O. Box 678, Natick, MA 01760 (617) 653-2555
makes PC/VI (tm) which behaves exactly like vi as far as is possible under
DOS.  It seems to work fine and comes with a complete vi manual, which finally
tells me how my unix vi works.  I don't remember exactly but I think it was
about $150.

I have no connection with the company except as a satisfied user.
--
nolan@hiips.lpl.arizona.edu;   ...!noao!solpl!hiips

wad@houxv.ATT.COM (R.WADSACK) (02/28/89)

In article <688@nvuxl.UUCP>, myron@nvuxl.UUCP writes:
> I am curious if there is an editor software available that is similar (the more
> the better) to the UNIX vi editor, but can be run from an IBM-PC in MS-DOS.
>
> I would appreciate any help!

Mortice Kern Systems, Inc. sells a version of 'vi' that will
run on your PC.  It is claimed to be the "best UNIX(R) editor
available today for your PC".  It's advertised as fully
compatible with UNIX(R) SVR3.  It retails for $75.00 (9/88).
Call them at 1-800-265-2797 for further info.

saal@sfsup.UUCP (+Saal S.) (02/28/89)

In article <1184@houxv.ATT.COM+ wad@houxv.ATT.COM (R.WADSACK) writes:
+In article <688@nvuxl.UUCP>, myron@nvuxl.UUCP writes:
+> I am curious if there is an editor software available that is similar (the more
+> the better) to the UNIX vi editor, but can be run from an IBM-PC in MS-DOS.

+> I would appreciate any help!

+Mortice Kern Systems, Inc. sells a version of 'vi' that will
+run on your PC.  It is claimed to be the "best UNIX(R) editor
+available today for your PC".  It's advertised as fully
+compatible with UNIX(R) SVR3.  It retails for $75.00 (9/88).
+Call them at 1-800-265-2797 for further info.

How does this vi deal with the ".exrc" file?
I assume there is a variable you can set somewhere
that sets the name?
--
Sam Saal         ..!attunix!saal
Vayiphtach HaShem et Peah HaAtone

ftw@masscomp.UUCP (Farrell Woods) (03/01/89)

In article <12406@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> genemans@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Jan Genemans) writes:
>myron@nvuxl.UUCP writes:

>>I am curious if there is an editor software available that is similar (the more
>>the better) to the UNIX vi editor, but can be run from an IBM-PC in MS-DOS.

>I too would like to know where I could get my hands on one.
>So could you please post it.  Thanks.

Both of you should trek out to a local bookstore and pick up any of the
following magazines: Dr. Dobbs Journal, BYTE, Computer Language...

All should contain advertisments from two companies:  Polytron and
MKS.  Both places offer Unix-like tools for the PC, including vi.

I have no experience with either outfit or their products, so I'm not
qualified to comment on them.

--
Farrell T. Woods				Voice: (508) 692-6200 x2471
MASSCOMP Operating Systems Group		Internet: ftw@masscomp.com

In article <1247@dogie.edu> rsmith@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Rusty Smith, MACC) writes:

>There was a version of Vi posted to Comp.binaries.ibm.pc on Feb 19.

I've tried this editor.  It's called "STEVIE", and it is acceptable only
for you smallest editing tasks.  It's just too flaky to be used for anything
you consider important.

--

In article <733@masscomp.UUCP> I wrote:
>In article <1247@dogie.edu> rsmith@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Rusty Smith, MACC) writes:
>
>>There was a version of Vi posted to Comp.binaries.ibm.pc on Feb 19.

>I've tried this editor.  It's called "STEVIE", and it is acceptable only
>for you smallest editing tasks.  It's just too flaky to be used for anything
>you consider important.

I should have paid attention to the date: I've not tried this one.  My bad
experience with STEVIE was an older posting.  My apologies.

(Now if I could find out why I couldn't cancel my response...)

--

probinso@psu-cs.UUCP (Pat Robinson) (03/01/89)

In article <688@nvuxl.UUCP> myron@nvuxl.UUCP writes:
>I am curious if there is an editor software available that is similar (the more
>the better) to the UNIX vi editor, but can be run from an IBM-PC in MS-DOS.

Yes its called vi as well.  We have it here and it runs on your basic IBM
compatible/MS-DOS.  I don't work with it alot, although I know some of the
commands are different.

Pat Robinson

UUCP:    {ucbvax, decvax, allegra, hplabs}!tektronix!psu-cs!probinso
CSNET:   probinso@cs.pdx.edu
ARPANET: probinso%cs.pdx.edu@relay.cs.net

phil@diablo.amd.com (Phil Ngai) (03/01/89)

In article <37364@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> Michael C. Nolan <nolan@cis.ohio-state.edu> writes:
|Custom Software Systems P.O. Box 678, Natick, MA 01760 (617) 653-2555

CSS is dead because they were distributing software illegally derived
from Unix source code and AT&T found out. It's a shame because their
stuff was very BSD like and I really prefer it over MKS, the only
alternative around that I know of.

--
Phil Ngai, phil@diablo.amd.com		{uunet,decwrl,ucbvax}!amdcad!phil
"System V, consider it sub-standard."

w-colinp@microsoft.UUCP (Colin Plumb) (03/01/89)

ked@garnet.berkeley.edu (Earl H. Kinmonth) wrote:
> MKS (Mortice Kern Systems)
>
> Offers a variety of packages that include vi, awk, and other **IX utilities.
> These are as close to the "real" thing as you can get under MiSerable Dos.
>
> No connection with the company except as a very, very satisfied user.

I'd like to second this recommendation.  You can ^Z out of vi back
into sh (the Korn shell)!  Everything is wonderfullest!

Here's the list of what's in the "MKS Toolkit":
alias	(part of /bin/sh)
awk	(new awk, as described in "The AWK Programming Language")
banner
basename
break	(part of /bin/sh)
c	(no, not cc)
cal
cat
cd	(also chdir)
chmod
cmp
comm
compress
continue(part of /bin/sh)
cp	(no -r, sigh)
cpio
crypt	(adds DES encryption to Unix utility)
ctags
cut
date
dd
deroff
dev	(Messy-DOS specific; prints info on all installed device drivers)
df
diff
diff3
dirname
.	(part of /bin/sh)
du
echo	(separate and part of /bin/sh)
ed
env
eval	(part of /bin/sh)
exec	(part of /bin/sh)
exit	(part of /bin/sh)
expand
export	(part of /bin/sh)
expr
fc	(also r and history; part of /bin/sh)
fg
file	(uses /etc/magic)
find
fmt
fold
getopt
grep	(also fgrep and egrep
gres	(stolen from MINIX - simple subset of sed)
head
help	(sorry, no man pages, but this gives a few lines of help)
init	(reads /etc/inittab and everything)
jobs
join
kill
lc
let	(part of /bin/sh)
line
login	(uses /etc/passwd and everything)
ls
mkdir
mv
nl
nm
od	(can also dump raw disks)
pack
passwd
paste
pcat
pg	(and more)
pr
print	(part of /bin/sh)
prof	(DOS-specific implementation; requires no special linking)
ps
pwd	(separate and part of /bin/sh)
read	(part of /bin/sh)
readonly(builtin alias in /bin/sh)
return	(part of /bin/sh)
rev
rm
rmdir
sed
set	(part of /bin/sh)
sh	(full korn shell including command-line editing; also includes rsh)
shift	(part of /bin/sh)
size
sleep
sort
spell
split
strings
strip
sum
switch	(lets you use - instead of / as option char in Messy-DOS)
sync
tail
tee
test	(separate and part of /bin/sh; also [)
time	(separate and part of /bin/sh)
times	(part of /bin/sh)
touch
tr
trap	(part of /bin/sh)
true	(part of /bin/sh; also :)
tty
typeset	(part of /bin/sh; nothing to do with troff or typesetting)
ulimit	(part of /bin/sh; of limited usefulness)
unalias	(part of /bin/sh)
uname
uncompress
unexpand
uniq
unpack
unset	(part of /bin/sh)
unstrip	(Messy-DOS specific; puts symbols from a .map file into a .exe)
vi
wc
whence	(part of /bin/sh)
which
who
yacc
--
	-Colin (uunet!microsoft!w-colinp)

"Don't listen to me.  I never do."

wnp@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Wolf Paul) (03/01/89)

In article <4872@sfsup.UUCP> saal@/doc/dsg/saalUUCP (xt1124-+Saal S.) writes:
>+run on your PC.  It is claimed to be the "best UNIX(R) edito ...
>
>How does this vi deal with the ".exrc" file?
>I assume there is a variable you can set somewhere
>that sets the name?

It uses $HOME/ex.rc, as well EXINIT env. variable. So you can say
something like "so virc" in your EXINIT, if you don't want to use
the ex.rc file.

And I agree that it is a pretty good vi editor -- use it all the time!

Wolf
UUCP:   killer!wnp                    ESL: 62832882
DOMAIN: wnp@killer.dallas.tx.us       TLX: 910-380-0585 EES PLANO UD

overby@agrigene.UUCP (Scott Overby) (03/01/89)

>I am curious if there is an editor software available that is similar (the more
>the better) to the UNIX vi editor, but can be run from an IBM-PC in MS-DOS.
>
>I too would like to know where I could get my hands on one.
>So could you please post it.  Thanks.

  The MKS Toolkit from:	Mortice Kern Systems Inc.
			35 King St. North
			Waterloo, Ontario  N2j 2W9
			519-884-2251
  includes a vi editor along with other UNIX shell commands that run under
  MS-DOS. Cost, I think is around $150 US.

  I am not a representative of MKS, only a satisfied customer.

Scott Overby
Agrigenetics, Inc
Madison, WI

jerry@starfish.Convergent.COM (Gerald Hawkins) (03/02/89)

From article <12406@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU>, by genemans@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Jan Genemans):
> myron@nvuxl.UUCP writes:
>>I am curious if there is an editor available that is similar (the more
>>the better) to the UNIX vi editor, but can be run from an IBM-PC in MS-DOS.
>
> I too would like to know where I could get my hands on one.
> So could you please post it.  Thanks.
> Jan K. Genemans, at USMMA
genemans@eleazar.dartmouth.edu
-
-
There is such an editor in the public domain or shareware.  I think it is
on Simtel 20.  However (no flame intended) why the heck would you want
such an abomination?  vi is horrible and unfriendly ...  I've used lots
of editors and vi is almost the worst.

Rainy Days and
Automatic Weapons Fire
Alway Get Me Down.

These opinions are mine.
Jerry.  (jerry@starfish.convergent.COM)
-----

wnp@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Wolf Paul) (03/02/89)

In article <776@microsoft.UUCP> w-colinp@microsoft.uucp (Colin Plumb) writes:
>ked@garnet.berkeley.edu (Earl H. Kinmonth) wrote:
>> MKS (Mortice Kern Systems)
>>
>> Offers a variety of packages that include vi, awk, and other **IX utilities.
>> These are as close to the "real" thing as you can get under MiSerable Dos.
>
>I'd like to second this recommendation.  You can ^Z out of vi back
>into sh (the Korn shell)!  Everything is wonderfullest!
>
>Here's the list of what's in the "MKS Toolkit":
>cpio

Very good! It has a (non-standard) option to compress each file before
adding it to the archive; unfortunately limited by the fact that MKS'
compress does not support 16-bit compression. Another limitation is
that of course, such compressed cpio archives are not directly
unpackable under UNIX -- you have to unpack them, and then manually
run each extracted file through uncompress. Maybe this feature could
be added to afio or pax, or maybe MSK could release the source for
their cpio to the net? But I'd understand if they didn't :-).

>gres	(stolen from MINIX - simple subset of sed)

I don't think that's true -- gres was in my first copy of the Toolkit
about a year before MINIX was published.

I think both the Toolkit and MINIX got both the name and the idea from
an earlier UNIX version.

>init	(reads /etc/inittab and everything)

It even lets you speciy a device other than con for shell i/o -- i.e
start a login on com1, so you can call your machine on the phone.
Only problem with that, last time I tried it, was that it still expected
to read the password from the console keyboard, so you could only
log into accounts without a password that way. Maybe that's been fixed --
comments from MKS?

>login	(uses /etc/passwd and everything)

See note above about password always being read from console

>switch	(lets you use - instead of / as option char in Messy-DOS)

But you should really use their shell rather than COMMAND.COM -- even
with this option.

>uname

Uses the volume label of the boot disk as the node name; the other options
return the DOS version/release and the CPU type

>compress
>uncompress
>zcat

Unfortunately these handle only 12-bit compression and can't handle
UNIX-compressed files (usually 16-bit)

>vi

By itself, worth the price of the Toolkit.

I have no connection to MKS either, except as a satisfied customer.

w-colinp@microsoft.UUCP (Colin Plumb) (03/02/89)

saal@/doc/dsg/saalUUCP (xt1124-+Saal S.) wrote:
> How does this vi deal with the ".exrc" file?
> I assume there is a variable you can set somewhere
> that sets the name?

"EDITOR INITIALIZATION

     At editor startup time, any initialization code is executed.  These
are EX commands located either in the environment or in a file.  If the en-
vironment variable EXINIT is found it is executed.  Otherwise the file
ex.rc is sourced.  It is sought under the current directory, then under
the directory goven in the HOME environmant variable if that variable
exists; then under the root (ROOTDIR or "/").  See environ(5) for
more information on these environmant variables.

LIMITS

    * Maximum number of lines: 50K (50 * 1024).
    * Length of longest line: 1K (1024) bytes including \r\n.
    * Longest command line: 160 bytes
    * Length of filenames: 128 bytes
    * Length of remembered regular expressions: 256 bytes
    * Number of map, map! or abbreviate entries: 64 each.
    * Number of saved keystrokes for ".' in VI: 128.
    * Length of the lhs of map, map! or abbreviate: 10 bytes.
    * Max number of characters in a tag name: 30.
    * Number of characters in a ":" escape from VI: 128.
    * Number of characters in the global command: 256 including newlines.
    * Requires 128K of memory plus the set option maxbuffers K of auxilli-
      ary memory.  Auxilliary memory is freed during ctrl-Z, :stop, :! :w!,
      .,.!, and :r! commands.  During startup, maxbuffers is changes
      to reflect available memory; at least 32K is required."

By the way, :set scrupdate=1 currently speeds things up a lot.  It's
considered a bug that this is necessary, and will eventually get fixed.
(It doesn't work on some systems, and the detection logic is currently
mixed up.)
--
	-Colin (uunet!microsoft!w-colinp)

"Don't listen to me.  I never do." - The Doctor

brown@nicmad.UUCP (Vidiot) (03/03/89)

In article <1184@houxv.ATT.COM> wad@houxv.ATT.COM (R.WADSACK) writes:
<Mortice Kern Systems, Inc. sells a version of 'vi' that will
<run on your PC.  It is claimed to be the "best UNIX(R) editor
<available today for your PC".  It's advertised as fully
<compatible with UNIX(R) SVR3.  It retails for $75.00 (9/88).
<Call them at 1-800-265-2797 for further info.

According to the latest PC Connections catalog, the MKS VI (v 2.3) is
listed at $149, with their price being $135.

Call 1-800-336-1166 for ordering and free (UPS gnd) shipping.
--
	       harvard-\	 att--\
Vidiot            ucbvax!uwvax!astroatc!nicmad!brown

miket@brspyr1.BRS.Com (Mike Trout) (03/04/89)

In article <733@masscomp.UUCP>, ftw@masscomp.UUCP (Farrell Woods) writes:

> In article <1247@dogie.edu> rsmith@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Rusty Smith, MACC) writes:

> >There was a version of Vi posted to Comp.binaries.ibm.pc on Feb 19.

> I've tried this editor.  It's called "STEVIE", and it is acceptable only
> for you smallest editing tasks.  It's just too flaky to be used for anything
> you consider important.

In other words, it's exactly like vi itself.

--
NSA food:  Iran sells Nicaraguan drugs to White House through CIA, SOD & NRO.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Michael Trout (miket@brspyr1)~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

rac@sherpa.UUCP (Roger A. Cornelius) (03/04/89)

From article <7374@killer.DALLAS.TX.US>, by wnp@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Wolf Paul):
- In article <776@microsoft.UUCP> w-colinp@microsoft.uucp (Colin Plumb) writes:
->ked@garnet.berkeley.edu (Earl H. Kinmonth) wrote:
->> MKS (Mortice Kern Systems)
-
->compress
->uncompress
->zcat
-
- Unfortunately these handle only 12-bit compression and can't handle
- UNIX-compressed files (usually 16-bit)

If I remember correctly, the MKS compress programs will handle up to 14
bit compression.  One thing I don't like about them though, is they
won't compress/decompress in place.  They only write to stdout, so to
do something like 'compress -d *.c', requires a for loop or something
similar.

Roger

david@wubios.wustl.edu (David J. Camp) (03/04/89)

In article <12406@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> genemans@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Jan Genemans) writes:
:>myron@nvuxl.UUCP writes:
:>
:>>I am curious if there is an editor software available that is similar (the more
:>>the better) to the UNIX vi editor, but can be run from an IBM-PC in MS-DOS.
:>
:>I too would like to know where I could get my hands on one.
:>So could you please post it.  Thanks.

It seems like I saw a reference to one the the info-ibmpc list, which
would mean it would be available from simtel20.arpa .  I am not sure.
-David-
--
Bitnet:   david@wubios.wustl                ^      Mr. David J. Camp
Internet: david%wubios@wucs1.wustl.edu    < * >    Box 8067, Biostatistics

bga@bgalli.eds.com (Billy G. Allie) (03/04/89)

In article <7374@killer.DALLAS.TX.US>, wnp@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Wolf Paul) writes:
< [refering to the MKS cpio command]
< Very good! It has a (non-standard) option to compress each file before
< adding it to the archive; unfortunately limited by the fact that MKS'
< compress does not support 16-bit compression. Another limitation is
< that of course, such compressed cpio archives are not directly
< unpackable under UNIX -- you have to unpack them, and then manually
< run each extracted file through uncompress.

Archives created with the -z (non-standard) option of the MKS cpio command
can be unpacked with the following command (filename is the name of the
compressed archive file):

	zcat filename | cpio -ic

assuming that the '-c' option was used in creating the archive.  In fact the
'-z' option is meant equivalent with the following pipelines:

	MKS command		     UNIX pipeline
	----------------------       ---------------------------------------
	cpio -oz<other options> <--> cpio -o<other options> | compress -b 14
	cpio -iz<other options> <--> uncompress | cpio -i<other options>

BTW, the -z option was added because MS-DOS does not have multi-tasking or
true pipes.  To compress the archive on MS-DOS using pipes would require
a temporary file big enough to hold the content of the entire archive.  By
building the compression into cpio, this temporary file is not needed.

< [refering to the MKS compress, uncompress and zcat commands]
< Unfortunately these handle only 12-bit compression and can't handle
< UNIX-compressed files (usually 16-bit)

These commands can handle up to 14-bit compression modes.  This is not a
great concern to me since I have a version of compress that will handle
16-bit compression on MS-DOS.

One fact that wasn't mentioned is the capability of the MKS Korn shell has
of passing up to 5Kbytes of arguments to the MS-DOS programs.  Of course, the
programs must know how to access these arguments (all MKS toolkit programs do
this).

I have no connection to MKS except as a satisfied customer.
--
____	   | Billy G. Allie	| Internet..: bga@bgalli.eds.com
|-/-|----- | Dearborn, MI 48126	| Compuserve: 76337,2061

john@agora.UUCP (John Cavanaugh) (03/04/89)

In article <12406@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> genemans@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Jan Genemans) writes:
>myron@nvuxl.UUCP writes:
>
>>I am curious if there is an editor software available that is similar (the more
>>the better) to the UNIX vi editor, but can be run from an IBM-PC in MS-DOS.
>
>I too would like to know where I could get my hands on one.
>So could you please post it.  Thanks.

  I sent a letter to the original poster but if there is more interest...
I saw a vi-like editor posted to c.b.i.p.c a few weeks ago and grabbed.
I can't vouch for it since I haven't had the time to use it yet but I
think I remember Rhaul liked it.  So you should check there first.  If you
can't find it, let me know; I would be happy to mail you a copy.

>Jan K. Genemans, at USMMA                        genemans@eleazar.dartmouth.edu

 -John Cavanaugh                           ...!tektronix!tessi!agora!john
 "Thinking we're all getting older and wiser, when we're just getting old"
                                                          -David Gilmour

ftw@masscomp.UUCP (Farrell Woods) (03/05/89)

In article <5507@brspyr1.BRS.Com> miket@brspyr1.BRS.Com (Mike Trout) writes:
>In article <733@masscomp.UUCP>, I wrote:

>> I've tried this editor.  It's called "STEVIE", and it is acceptable only
>> for you smallest editing tasks.  It's just too flaky to be used for anything
>> you consider important.

>In other words, it's exactly like vi itself.

You must have forgotten a smiley face there.

I won't argue the merits of one editor vs. another.  I was pointing out that
the last version of STEVIE I picked up was simply unrelaible.  I don't recall
having vi itself crash in the middle of something on my machine at work.

--
Farrell T. Woods				Voice:  (508) 392-2471
Concurrent Computer Corporation			Domain: ftw@masscomp.com

dlawyer@balboa.eng.uci.edu (David Lawyer) (03/09/89)

In article <733@masscomp.UUCP> ftw@quasar.masscomp.UUCP (Farrell Woods) writes:
>In article <1247@dogie.edu> rsmith@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Rusty Smith, MACC) writes:
>
>>There was a version of Vi posted to Comp.binaries.ibm.pc on Feb 19.
>
>I've tried this editor.  It's called "STEVIE", and it is acceptable only

The editor posted on Feb. 19 does not appear to be Stevie because it's
written by a different person (Paul Vojta, ver. 1.9a) while Stevie is
by Tony Andrews (ver. 3.45).  I've used both and think Stevie is closer
to the real vi.  Stevie is larger and slightly slower.  Stevie may also
be used with Unix-like operating systems such as Minix so the source
code may not get posted to the ibm.pc newsgroup.  It was posted to
comp.os.minix on 8 Dec. '88 but needs Microsoft C to compile.

root@conexch.UUCP (Larry Dighera) (03/09/89)

In article <7374@killer.DALLAS.TX.US> wnp@killer.Dallas.TX.US (Wolf Paul) writes:
>In article <776@microsoft.UUCP> w-colinp@microsoft.uucp (Colin Plumb) writes:
>>ked@garnet.berkeley.edu (Earl H. Kinmonth) wrote:
>>Here's the list of what's in the "MKS Toolkit":
>>compress
>>uncompress
>>zcat
>
>Unfortunately these handle only 12-bit compression and can't handle
>UNIX-compressed files (usually 16-bit)

	[followup set to comp.sys.ibm.pc]

You can get a copy of compress that will do 16-bit compression under
PC-DOS from The Consultants' Exchange BBS.  Call (714) 842-5851 and
login as bbs (lower case).  In the unix file area you will find several
useful unix utilities that have been ported to PC-DOS.  There is also
a version of uncompress that will uncompress 16-bit files in only
256K of RAM.

The file utools.arc contains many useful unix utilities.  Here is a
list of it's contents:

Name          Length    Stowage    SF   Size now  Date       Time    CRC
============  ========  ========  ====  ========  =========  ======  ====
cat.exe          10536  Crunched   21%      8363  21 Sep 87   2:48a  7413
cd.exe            8624  Crunched   23%      6707  21 Sep 87   2:48a  176e
chmod.exe         8820  Crunched   21%      6992  21 Sep 87   2:48a  ddf2
cp.exe           12936  Crunched   18%     10650  21 Sep 87   2:48a  7143
cpio.exe         25364  Crunched   15%     21710   7 Oct 87   8:36a  d92c
dbackup.exe      20230  Squeezed   13%     17679  21 Sep 87   2:48a  eb1c
dbackupv.c       16185  Crunched   51%      7935  21 Sep 87   2:47a  f90f
dbackupv.man      6676  Crunched   48%      3485  21 Sep 87   2:47a  c9cf
drestore.exe     21956  Squeezed   14%     19053  21 Sep 87   2:48a  75ea
du.exe            8752  Crunched   22%      6879  21 Sep 87   2:48a  c930
find.exe         12296  Crunched   17%     10280  21 Sep 87   2:53a  770b
ls.exe           15874  Crunched   16%     13416  21 Sep 87   2:48a  24a8
mkdir.exe         6624  Crunched   23%      5160  21 Sep 87   2:48a  bfce
mv.exe           13038  Crunched   18%     10730  21 Sep 87   2:48a  753d
od.exe           15870  Crunched   15%     13572  21 Sep 87   2:48a  de98
pr.exe           14714  Crunched   17%     12296  21 Sep 87   2:48a  0aac
rm.exe           10014  Crunched   21%      7976  21 Sep 87   2:48a  24b0
rmdir.exe         6626  Crunched   23%      5151  21 Sep 87   2:48a  dbda
touch.exe        11924  Crunched   19%      9681  21 Sep 87   2:48a  36fa
utod.exe         10962  Crunched   21%      8768  21 Sep 87   2:48a  831a
utools.doc       23801  Crunched   54%     11073  21 Sep 87   3:46a  1e58
wc.exe           10382  Crunched   22%      8186  21 Sep 87   2:48a  08b1
        ====  ========            ====  ========
Total     22    292204             23%    225742

--
USPS: The Consultants' Exchange, PO Box 12100, Santa Ana, CA  92712
TELE: (714) 842-6348: BBS (N81); (714) 842-5851: Xenix guest account (E71)

root@spdyne.UUCP (03/10/89)

sparks@corpane.UUCP writes:
>In article <2386@iscuva.ISCS.COM>,carlp@iscuva.ISCS.COM (Carl Paukstis) writes:
> >
> > EDITOR WARS!
> > As for "unfriendly", vi is hard to LEARN, not hard to USE.  I assure you, I
> > can be quite productive with vi - especially for quick jobs.
>
> I agree with you there. It is hard to learn. But once you master the wierd
> commands, it's not so bad. As far as full screen editors go, it's my last
> choice, but it's not real bad.

    Last choice?  I can think of many, many that are worse...EDT for one..

> > Sure, vi has some drawbacks; mainly it's outweighed by special-purpose
> > solutions.  BRIEF is quite good on the PC, and I tend to use Micro-EMACS

Yes, I use BRIEF configured to work like VI.  I have re-written the default
macros completely.  My set makes the program run almost exactly like vi except
for the added ablility to do things like: Hex/Dec Calcalator, Column moves,
Substitues across files, split screen edits (multiple files), 300 level
un-do, Auto-save, etc, etc...

> > sequence 'dw' to delete a word "unfriendly"?
>
> well, dw is not so bad, but let's look at some of the other commands:
>
> dd = delete line (why? why not dl?)
    Fast I presume..

> ZZ = end edit and save file (!!!!)
    Added for speed, I presume.  You can use ':wq' if you prefer a non-cryptic
command.

> $ = end of file
    - Try End of Line...

> A = insert begining at end of line !?!?!
    Append - What's so cryptic?

>Personally I like EDT (yes I grew up on DEC). It's easy to use, the keypad
>is designed to do most of the editing commands, like del-word, del-line, go
>to end of line, go to beginning of line, cut, paste, etc.
>
>I like the keypad approach rather than the single letter commands in some
>editors, because you don't have to leave insert mode in order to do editing.

    Yes, I just LOVE using EDT on a adm3a... Loads of fun...Ever try a NON-DEC
terminal? YEEACH!  Very hard to get anything useful done, and even with
a keypad, I didn't like it as it was hard to learn.. (Now was '4' Paste or
Cut?...) Just what do you do if you don't have that little plastic keypad
layout?  I loved it when I moved over to UNIX and got away from SOS (I didn't
use EDT much as most of the termials weren't VT* compatiable.)

    By the way, in vi you can move the cursor in insert mode...IF you have
your keypad.  The only problem is if you move to a line that is shorter
than your current position, then vi dumps you back out of insert mode.

One of the things I like about VI/Brief is the ability to type:
    1875G
To jump to line 1,875 in a large program.

Each module of my own code rarely gets this big, but I do have to maintain
others' code too.  I hate editors that require you to page down till you
hit the right line..

(Last week I was told to "Add these 2 lines before line 1,875."
 With NO context. Easy in Brief/VI, only editor we had that could do it.)

My only problems with Brief are:

    1) 512 Character line length limit

    2) 64K of lines max in buffer, siliently truncates file when written
       if > this number, but allows you to view the whole file (once).

    3) Special macros are slow, such as the '%' to find matching brace, if
       you are going over 500+ lines and arn't going to find the brace.

    4) Only method of handling mem errors is to write 'a file or two' to
       the disk, you can't save them under a diff name.  And it doesn't
       do this automaticlly to a tmp file.

> --
> John Sparks      // Amiga  |  {rutgers|uunet}!ukma!corpane!sparks
>                \X/  UUCP   |  >> call D.I.S.K. @ 502/968-5401 thru 5406 <<

    -Chert Pellett
     root@spdyne

lnewman@emdeng.Dayton.NCR.COM (Lee.A.Newman) (03/11/89)

In article <1000004@spdyne> root@spdyne.UUCP writes:
>> > EDITOR WARS!
>
>Yes, I use BRIEF configured to work like VI.  I have re-written the default
>macros completely.  My set makes the program run almost exactly like vi except
>for the added ablility to do things like: Hex/Dec Calcalator, Column moves,
>Substitues across files, split screen edits (multiple files), 300 level
>un-do, Auto-save, etc, etc...
>

>    Yes, I just LOVE using EDT on a adm3a... Loads of fun...Ever try a NON-DEC
>terminal? YEEACH!  Very hard to get anything useful done, and even with
>a keypad, I didn't like it as it was hard to learn.. (Now was '4' Paste or
>Cut?...) Just what do you do if you don't have that little plastic keypad
>layout?  I loved it when I moved over to UNIX and got away from SOS (I didn't
>use EDT much as most of the termials weren't VT* compatiable.)

It's quite interesting...  Just about everyone I know is in love with the
the first non-cumbersome editor they ever used...

Remember - how well will your favorite editor work on a different keyboard...
One without arrow keys... or without a keypad... or without an alt key...
maybe no function keys...      vi does have the advantage that it works
with nearly ANY keyboard.

>My only problems with Brief are:

 <list deleted>

Let me add one more problem with Brief:
 5) It does not permit any nulls to appear in the source file.  If any are
    found, it deletes them. (At least it gives you a message.  Something
    like "Fixing nulls").  Quite a nasty fix!  Ever accidentally Brief a
    binary file?  Not fun.

In article <1000004@spdyne>, root@spdyne.UUCP writes:
]
]    Yes, I just LOVE using EDT on a adm3a... Loads of fun...Ever try a NON-DEC
] terminal? YEEACH!  Very hard to get anything useful done, and even with
] a keypad, I didn't like it as it was hard to learn.. (Now was '4' Paste or
] Cut?...) Just what do you do if you don't have that little plastic keypad
] layout?  I loved it when I moved over to UNIX and got away from SOS (I didn't
] use EDT much as most of the termials weren't VT* compatiable.)

     You got me there! Yep, with EDT you have to have a VT*  compatible
with the keypad. Otherwise you are out of luck. vi does have the advantage
of working with many different terminals easily. EDT does have a command
line mode (like the colon ':' in vi) so you can use it without a VT-*,
It's ctrl-z. from there you can do substituting (s/oldtext/newtext/wh  sub
oldtext with newtext for the whole file) and stuff.
] ]
] One of the things I like about VI/Brief is the ability to type:
]     1875G
] To jump to line 1,875 in a large program.
]
In defense of EDT: try ctrl-z (to get the command prompt) and type
'1875' (apostrophes mine) and boom, there you are.
]     -Chert Pellett
]      root@spdyne

--
John Sparks      // Amiga  |  {rutgers|uunet}!ukma!corpane!sparks
               \X/  UUCP   |  >> call D.I.S.K. @ 502/968-5401 thru 5406 <<

Death is nature's way of telling you to slow down.