[comp.misc] Ethics of crippler circuitry

jackg@tekirl.LABS.TEK.COM (Jack Gjovaag;6160;50-321;LP=A) (02/07/89)

In article <11630010@hpsmtc1.HP.COM> ham@hpsmtc1.HP.COM (Bob Hamilton) writes:

>"Pulling out the slow-down boards" is an old IBM marketing tactic.  When I
>worked at Memorex, I heard IBM did it when we upgraded one of the CPU's in
>the data center.  I leave it as an exercise for the reader to characterize
>the ethics of a company which would build slow-down boards into its
>products in the first place.

The ethics of adding "crippling" circuitry to an otherwise high
performance machine to fill a gap in a product line is not at all
clear to me.  It certainly seems absurd if we expect that the
price of a machine is directly related to its manufacturing cost
but if we assume that what a customer is purchasing is functionality
with no regard to how it is obtained, then cripplers make some
sense.

I am interested in others views of this practice, since I used
to work for a company that occasionally did it (not my present company
to the best of my knowledge.  If anyone thinks they know of
Tektronix doing it, make that another topic.)

  Jack Gjovaag
  Tek Labs

jborza%burgundy@Sun.COM (Jim_Borza) (02/10/89)

In article <4602@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM>, jackg@tekirl.LABS.TEK.COM (Jack Gjovaag;6160;50-321;LP=A) writes:
> The ethics of adding "crippling" circuitry to an otherwise high
> performance machine to fill a gap in a product line is not at all
> clear to me.  It certainly seems absurd if we expect that the
> price of a machine is directly related to its manufacturing cost
> but if we assume that what a customer is purchasing is functionality
> with no regard to how it is obtained, then cripplers make some
> sense.
>
> I am interested in others views of this practice, since I used
> to work for a company that occasionally did it (not my present company
> to the best of my knowledge.  If anyone thinks they know of
> Tektronix doing it, make that another topic.)
>   Jack Gjovaag

I had occasion to witness an "upgrade" of a large mainframe machine
to a higher-performing model back in the late '60s.  The upgrade
consisted of changing a small PCB clock generator and the nameplate
on the console, plus some jumpers.  It seems the manufacturer made
only one actual computer but sold it as two models with significant-
ly different performance specs.
I never saw it as an "ethical" issue but a "customer satisfaction" is-
sue. On the lower-performing machine (call it model "L"), the user was
limited to the number of jobs which could be run and, theoretically,
necessitating fewer calls for support, repair, etc. than if the model
"H" had been in use.  The customer who wanted the functionality but
couldn't afford the price was able to buy the machine and "upgrade" to
the model "H" later.  The manufacturer was (supposedly) able to provide
a better quality product through uniform manufacturing & quality control.
The "ethical" question depends on whether you see the computer as
"iron" or a "solution" (pardon the marketing jargon); and whether
there's an ethical question at all depends on the buyer.
If a business-type purchased the machine, he/she was likely buying
the performance specs, not the machine.  A techie might buy the hard-
ware in hopes of maximizing the performance.  At the bottom of it all
is: what camp are you in?  Also, what were told to expect (by the
salesperson)?

Jim Borza - Sun Microsystems
Disclaimer?  Sure, why not?

hassell@tramp.Colorado.EDU (Christopher Hassell) (02/10/89)

#
# >"Pulling out the slow-down boards" is an old IBM marketing tactic.  When I
# >worked at Memorex, I heard IBM did it when we upgraded one of the CPU's in
# >the data center.  I leave it as an exercise for the reader to characterize
# >the ethics of a company which would build slow-down boards into its
# >products in the first place.
#
# The ethics of adding "crippling" circuitry to an otherwise high
# performance machine to fill a gap in a product line is not at all
# clear to me.  It certainly seems absurd if we expect that the

But the car manufacturers do that all the time, don't they (almost).
RE-naming cars for different coasts, naming cars differently for added options
on others...  Madison Avenue is always finding ways to make "just-the-right-
-level" appear to exist for any person out there.

#   Jack Gjovaag
#   Tek Labs

And it's likely to stay that way for no good reason :->
### C>H> ###

tat@pccuts.pcc.amdahl.com (Tom Thackrey) (02/10/89)

In article <4602@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM> jackg@tekirl.LABS.TEK.COM (Jack Gjovaag) writes:

>The ethics of adding "crippling" circuitry to an otherwise high
>performance machine to fill a gap in a product line is not at all
>clear to me.  It certainly seems absurd if we expect that the
>price of a machine is directly related to its manufacturing cost
>but if we assume that what a customer is purchasing is functionality
>with no regard to how it is obtained, then cripplers make some
>sense.

Price is a function of supply and demand, not just manufacturing
cost.  If a manufacturer can "cripple"
a fast machine to make a slower and CHEAPER machine and still make
reasonable margins, where's the problem?  In the case of computers, the
manufacturing costs of such machines may be far less than the design
costs of creating a new machine with the lower performance.  Many large
computer models only sell a few hundred copies in the life of the product.

--
Tom Thackrey sun!amdahl!tat00

[ The opinions expressed herin are mine alone. ]

What about a related issue: OS licenses that restrict the number of
users.  You purchase a computer and an OS, but pay different amounts
depending on the number of users you want to allow to use it
simultaneously, although there are no software changes other than
changing a parameter to the routine that enforces the restriction.

My feeling is that you purchase a certain amount of performance, and
how you want to allocate it should be up to you.  If you put lots of
users on a small machine, they'll get poor performance, so why should
you also get charged extra?

Barry Margolin
Thinking Machines Corp.

barmar@think.com
{uunet,harvard}!think!barmar

js9b+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jon C. Slenk) (02/11/89)

writes:
        >The ethics of adding "crippling" circuitry to an otherwise high
        >performance machine to fill a gap in a product line is not at all
        >clear to me.  >
One must realize that a company has every right to do whatever they wish to do
with thier stuff. If they believe they can reap better profits by 'crippling' a
machine and selling it as low-end with lots-o-sales, then they have every right
to.

If someone makes something, they can do what they wish with it.

Sincerely,
Jon Slenk / js9b CMU.

seanf@sco.COM (Sean Fagan) (02/11/89)

In article <4602@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM> jackg@tekirl.LABS.TEK.COM (Jack Gjovaag) writes:
>The ethics of adding "crippling" circuitry to an otherwise high
>performance machine to fill a gap in a product line is not at all
>clear to me.  It certainly seems absurd if we expect that the
>price of a machine is directly related to its manufacturing cost
>but if we assume that what a customer is purchasing is functionality
>with no regard to how it is obtained, then cripplers make some
>sense.

The idea is that the company spends x millions on development for the
machine, and then has to price the machine at y dollars to make a profit.
However, by selling a slower one for z dollars, the company can sell more of
them, and thus help recoup the cost.  Also, they can sell upgrades for alpha
dollars, which also help.

Does it work?  I don't know, but I think it does.  If people don't like it,
competitors can come and try to force the price down (Amdahl has done this,
I think, and so have the "crayettes").

--
Sean Eric Fagan  | "What the caterpillar calls the end of the world,
seanf@sco.UUCP   |  the master calls a butterfly."  -- Richard Bach

tainter@ihlpb.ATT.COM (Tainter) (02/11/89)

In article <4602@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM> jackg@tekirl.LABS.TEK.COM (Jack Gjovaag) writes:

>The ethics of adding "crippling" circuitry to an otherwise high
>performance machine to fill a gap in a product line is not at all
>clear to me.

>  Jack Gjovaag
>  Tek Labs

In many cases I am sure this is done not as a marketing ploy but as a
consistency matter.

You introduce A.  Mucho software and 3rd party hardware (or add-on
hardware from your company) is designed and sold for it.

Now you come out with B which is faster, and which can be made more
cheaply than the original A.  You can't stop providing A, there is
hardware and software out there that might have timing dependencies
so you stick in a slow down board (or wire).

In fact, if you just publish  the performance spec and never deliver
one that has that speed you are obligated to slow it down.

Then you get bad mouthed in comp.misc.  Oh well.

--johnathan.a.tainter

haynes@ucscc.UCSC.EDU (Jim Haynes) (02/11/89)

In article <MXwliIy00V45JUKFBg@andrew.cmu.edu> js9b+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jon C. Slenk) writes:
>One must realize that a company has every right to do whatever they wish to do
>with thier stuff. If they believe they can reap better profits by 'crippling' a
>machine and selling it as low-end with lots-o-sales, then they have every right
>to.
>
>If someone makes something, they can do what they wish with it.

There's also a legal doctrine of first sale I read about recently.  Once
something is sold the seller can't restrain the buyer from doing as he
pleases with it, so long as what he does is not illegal.  This came up
in an article about videotapes.  Originally the film companies expected
tapes to be sold; but the high prices stimulated creation of the rental
business, and because of the doctrine of first sale the film companies
can't prevent rentals.  They can of course prevent making copes, since
that violates copyright law.  But once they sell you the tape you can
keep it or give it away or rent it or burn it.  Article said they were
lobbying to get the law changed so as to give them some control over
use of the product, but so far they have been rebuffed.
haynes@ucscc.ucsc.edu
haynes@ucscc.bitnet
..ucbvax!ucscc!haynes

"Any clod can have the facts, but having opinions is an Art."
        Charles McCabe, San Francisco Chronicle

hans@nlgvax.UUCP (Hans Zuidam) (02/11/89)

You might want to read the following book:

	"Big Blue. IBM's use and abuse of power",
	Richard Thomas DeLamarter,
	Dodd, Mead & Company, 1986, 393 pages.

The author was one the laywers on the antitrust case "US versus IBM".
Allthough the author is (understandably) biased against IBM, he gives
a good deal of factual information on IBMs use of functional pricing.

Functional pricing is the method where you have a customer pay for
functions and not for actual development and production costs plus a
profit margin. By this method you ask more money for a product with
extra features allthough the production costs are not much higher than
a less featured version. By this token it is often cheaper to produce
the full featured machine and cripple it a little to a less featured
one. Of course you can substitute the word performance for feature.

IBM and the computer industry at large are not the only ones using this
pricing strategy. You see the same effect in pricing of audio equipement
(CD players!), pocket calculators, and so on.

						Hans
--
Hans Zuidam                                    E-Mail: hans@pcg.philips.nl
Philips Telecommunications and Data Systems,   Tel: +31 40 892288

hassell@tramp.Colorado.EDU (Christopher Hassell) (02/12/89)

# writes:
#         >The ethics of adding "crippling" circuitry to an otherwise high
#         >performance machine to fill a gap in a product line is not at all
#         >clear to me.  >

# One must realize that a company has every right to do whatever they wish to do
#with thier stuff. If they believe they can reap better profits by 'crippling' a
#machine and selling it as low-end with lots-o-sales, then they have every right
# to.

# If someone makes something, they can do what they wish with it.

# Sincerely,
# Jon Slenk / js9b CMU.

As well we must realize that there should never be any restrictions on the
customer in "removing added slowdowns".

As some micro people may know, Apple had to put slow memory into the GS in
order to keep some older "safe" boards compaitible.  That was the downside
and there was little to do about it.  But then it was not to make a new
"niche".

Other things can happen too.  I know a friend of mine who recieved a PCjr
<egad, I know> and is STILL finding hard-hacks that have upgraded its graphics
to that of a Tandy 2000!  There are BILLIONS of programs he's downloaded
that fix BILLIONS of IBM stupidity marks.  MS-DOS also has quite a few
fix-em-up possibilities.  Whether these were for "upgradibility" or just from
dumbness (in my knowlege of Apple //'s I can definately say they squeezed about
all they could out of it.  I was rather shocked at all that could be fixed on
an IBM).

Wellll.  SUUUUUUUMMMMMMDDAAAAYYYYYYYY there jus' MIGHT be better analysis
techniques (computerized ones) that can find these blinking holes because
the manufacturer's spex aren't just-a-pile-of-paper-to-look-at-when-you-need-
-to.  <understandible spex?  Yeah I know that's unlikely.> THAT will be nice.

### C>H> ###

friedl@vsi.COM (Stephen J. Friedl) (02/12/89)

> As well we must realize that there should never be any restrictions on the
> customer in "removing added slowdowns".

This is likely to "break your warranty" if you do this...

     Steve

--
Stephen J. Friedl        3B2-kind-of-guy            friedl@vsi.com
V-Systems, Inc.       I speak for you only      attmail!vsi!friedl

In article <6322@saturn.ucsc.edu>, haynes@ucscc.UCSC.EDU (Jim Haynes) writes:
> There's also a legal doctrine of first sale I read about recently.  Once
> something is sold the seller can't restrain the buyer from doing as he
> pleases with it, so long as what he does is not illegal.

Yes, but what about warrantees? That's the stick they generally use here.
There's nothing to keep them from discontinuing warranty support after you
perform such unauthorised repairs.
Work: uunet.uu.net!ficc!peter, peter@ficc.uu.net, +1 713 274 5180.   `-_-'
Home: bigtex!texbell!sugar!peter, peter@sugar.uu.net.                 'U`
Opinions may not represent the policies of FICC or the Xenix Support group.

kebera@alzabo.UUCP (Krishna Bera) (02/13/89)

In article <36320@think.UUCP> (Barry Margolin) writes:
>What about a related issue: OS licenses that restrict the number of
>users.  You purchase a computer and an OS, but pay different amounts
>depending on the number of users you want to allow to use it

This situation also applies to all the new network software, or
to such things as site licences.

>simultaneously, although there are no software changes other than
>changing a parameter to the routine that enforces the restriction.

A good piece of software may use different algorithms for dealing
with different numbers of users. These must be developed and tested.

>My feeling is that you purchase a certain amount of performance, and
>how you want to allocate it should be up to you.  If you put lots of
>users on a small machine, they'll get poor performance, so why should
>you also get charged extra?

I believe someone mentioned that the amount of (usually free) maintenance
required depends on the number of users. The solution would then be to
charge for each maintenance call. It seems to me that users would be
more likely to buy a system with stated performance and free maintenance.

While economies of scale do apply to large networks/machines, a piece of
software is still worth a certain amount to every user of it, and they
should pay that amount. The number of users (one criterion) establishes the
worth of someone's software, I believe.
--
Programmer on the loose
kebera@alzabo.UUCP

desnoyer@Apple.COM (Peter Desnoyers) (02/14/89)

In article <MXwliIy00V45JUKFBg@andrew.cmu.edu> js9b+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jon C. Slenk) writes:

>In article <4602@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM> jackg@tekirl.LABS.TEK.COM (Jack Gjovaag)
>writes:
>        >The ethics of adding "crippling" circuitry to an otherwise high
>        >performance machine to fill a gap in a product line is not at all
>        >clear to me.  >
>One must realize that a company has every right to do whatever they wish to do
>with thier stuff. If they believe they can reap better profits by 'crippling' a
>machine and selling it as low-end with lots-o-sales, then they have every right
>to.
>
>If someone makes something, they can do what they wish with it.
>
>Sincerely,
>Jon Slenk / js9b CMU.

This is a dangerous ethic to have in any industry - that it is o.k. to
withold any and all information from a customer in the name of profit.
The customer is going to feel cheated if they find out that their $10k
upgrade consists of removing a wire. Solution - don't tell them. The
customer is going to feel cheated if they find out that your product
isn't as reliable as they want - solution, don't tell them. Etc.

Crippler circuitry is not illegal; I would hesitate to call it
immoral. However, I ask how anyone can feel that they have acted
professionally when they design such a piece of equipment. There are
other solutions - one company I know of (not my current employer) had
a problem with its new low-end product being too fast. They solved it
by publishing _very_ conservative performance specs. (it wasn't a
computer, so it wasn't easy to benchmark yourself.) The customers
never complained when it worked a bit better than they were told it
would.

				Peter Desnoyers

bga@raspail.UUCP (Bruce Albrecht) (02/14/89)

In article <4602@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM> jackg@tekirl.LABS.TEK.COM (Jack Gjovaag) writes:
>The ethics of adding "crippling" circuitry to an otherwise high
>performance machine to fill a gap in a product line is not at all
>clear to me.  It certainly seems absurd if we expect that the
>price of a machine is directly related to its manufacturing cost
>but if we assume that what a customer is purchasing is functionality
>with no regard to how it is obtained, then cripplers make some
>sense.

It's not absurd when you view the cost of the "crippled" machine to be
manufacturing costs + the incremental design cost to "cripple" the high
performance machine, and the cost of the high performance machine to be the
manufacturing costs + the design cost for the high performance machine.

Several other business factors come into play here, also.  If a computer
manufacturer has a gap in a product line, the loss of a potential customer
because of that gap, tends to lose that customer for all time, since the
customers tend to be locked into whichever system they buy (except, of course,
plug-compatibles, and IBM is just about the only company that has plug-
compatible competitors).  Therefore, most companies are willing to accept a
smaller profit now so they can get additional revenues (and profits) later.

I think most business customers are buying functionality without regard to
how it is obtained.  When a customers know they need a performance level of X,
and that it costs around $Y, they don't want to buy performance level of X+x'
for $Y+y', even though they may need X+x' later.  That's why IBM (or maybe it
is Amdahl) leases CPUs that run at a certain MIPS rating, and when the customer
needs a faster machine for a short time, they change the microcode to speed it
up, charge the customer more, and resets it to the slower machine when the
customer no longer needs the higher performance.

bnick@aucis.UUCP (Bill Nickless) (02/14/89)

In article <1257@raspail.UUCP>, bga@raspail.UUCP (Bruce Albrecht) writes:
> I think most business customers are buying functionality without regard to
> how it is obtained.  When a customers know they need a performance level of X,
> and that it costs around $Y, they don't want to buy performance level of X+x'
> for $Y+y', even though they may need X+x' later.  That's why IBM (or maybe it
> is Amdahl) leases CPUs that run at a certain MIPS rating; when the customer
> needs a faster machine for a short time, they change the microcode to speed it
> up, charge the customer more, and resets it to the slower machine when the
> customer no longer needs the higher performance.

What do the companies (Amdahl, IBM, et. al.) do about the "sneaky" computer
operator who figures out that you remove board X and get Y*1.5 performance?
Or if you flip this switch or comment out this code or patch the OS to allow
more than the licensed number of users on?

How does that concept of "I've bought it, it's mine" apply here?  Is it
unethical to get the best performance possible out of a machine you've paid
for, even if the manufacturer didn't intend for that performance to be avail-
able?

If a vendor is going to sell me a computer, I would use it to its best
performance--regardless of what the vendor intends!
--
Bill Nickless                    Andrews University Computer Science Department
...!sharkey!aucis!bnick or bnick@aucis.UUCP                  Unix Support Group

              "Help!  I'm locked up in this .signature factory!"

gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu (02/14/89)

1.  What are the ethics of creating a service monopoly?

Apple seems to do this.  Apple's only repair is "replace the logic
card" ($300-$600).  Hence, for many simple problems (e.g. custom chip
burnout) it's $300-$600.

If a non apple-qualified technician repairs your machine (e.g.
replaces a 10 cent fuse), the next time you consult an Apple
Technician he has the right to charge $50 or more for "board
reinspection" before working on your machine.  This sucks.
Apple heavily pressures its customers into obtaining service from
Apple dealers.

2.  I think intentionally "crippled" machines are mostly a thing of
the past.  IBM probably did it to avoid competing with themselves ("we
can't sell this super-fast machine cheap, because we'll hurt our own
business").

3.  Have people considered the cost of swapping a 1960's mainframe for
a newer model?  It's like moving a TANK!  Long ago there were also
installation benefits in selling a crippled machine.

jborza%burgundy@Sun.COM (Jim_Borza) (02/15/89)

In article <132@aucis.UUCP>, bnick@aucis.UUCP (Bill Nickless) writes:
> What do the companies (Amdahl, IBM, et. al.) do about the "sneaky" computer
> operator who figures out that you remove board X and get Y*1.5 performance?
> Or if you flip this switch or comment out this code or patch the OS to allow
> more than the licensed number of users on?
>
> How does that concept of "I've bought it, it's mine" apply here?  Is it
> unethical to get the best performance possible out of a machine you've paid
> for, even if the manufacturer didn't intend for that performance to be avail-
> able?
>
> If a vendor is going to sell me a computer, I would use it to its best
> performance--regardless of what the vendor intends!
> --
> Bill Nickless                   Andrews University Computer Science Department
> ...!sharkey!aucis!bnick or bnick@aucis.UUCP                 Unix Support Group

If you bought on performance specs, the manufacturer has no absolute obli-
gation to support the machine's performance beyond the specs you purchased.
In the case of the 'license' mentioned above: that implies a contract be-
tween the purchaser and manufacturer (or seller).  There's some sticky
ground here which I'm sure you'll appreciate.
As to the "I've bought it....etc" argument:  If *YOU* bought it, you'll have
to decide how to apply your ethics but if you're acting as an employee or
agent of the person or corporation who really bought it, your obligation is
to protect their interests, even if it means leaving the machine "crippled".
The "sneaky" operator who boosts the speed beyond what was intended would
risk the manufacturer saying: "We won't repair/support this gear any more
since unauthorized modifications have been made...".  They'd then charge
either for the increased specs or for "crippling" it again.  All in all,
in our society, contracts rule the game (implied and written).  Ethics,
unfortunately, have very little to do with behavior any more.

Jim Borza - Sun Microsystems
Disclaimer?  Sure, why not?

rjd@occrsh.ATT.COM (Randy_Davis) (02/15/89)

In article <132@aucis.UUCP> bnick@aucis.UUCP (Bill Nickless) writes:
|What do the companies (Amdahl, IBM, et. al.) do about the "sneaky" computer
|operator who figures out that you remove board X and get Y*1.5 performance?
|Or if you flip this switch or comment out this code or patch the OS to allow
|more than the licensed number of users on?

[  The following is the relating of a *personal* incident and in no way     ]
[ am I an official representative of AT&T or their policies.  The following ]
[ is completely personal opinion.]

  On the 3B2 mailing list last year, one of the more verbose contributors wrote
a quick message saying that, if you had a brass plate on top of your processor
chip set on the system board, you could just switch out the clock with a faster
one and have a faster machine.

  As I work on 3B2's and supervise portions of the testing at the factory, I
was aware that the brass plates were not related to the rated clock speed of the
system boards and said as much (the maximum rated speed of the processor chips
is set through actual testing of the chips in question, the brass plated ones
were just different production runs for other reasons).  I went ahead to say
that it was *possible* that the machine would work at the higher speed (the
speeds in question were 10MHz stock vs the 14MHz "upgrade"), yet a complete
suite of tests would be necessary to have any confidence in this.  I also went
on to mention that it is not something you do without testing it completely
first.  All I got was written abuse for taking the time to warn him (when my
sole purpose was to prevent people from taking his uninformed word and to warn
him and others of the possible problems).

  My point *is* valid too, as, since the board in question is one of the ones
under my supervision, I have seen many types of strange hardware-caused errors
to do with system speed.  Many of which it is possible might not manifest
themself unless the user does a certain combination of commands (I recall one
board who liked to dump core on *one* certain Unix System V operating system
command which turned out to be caused by a bad MMU).  It was this danger that
other 3B2-owners might take his erroneous advice and end up with screwed up
machines that I was worried about.  It is also probably the reason that the
upgrade kit for the machine contains a new processor chip set rated for the
higher speed.

  It is really funny in some ways:  since the email and mailing list war ended,
the person in question posted a few remarks about his "upgraded" system
and its (new and higher) benchmark numbers, etc...  One of which was ended
with the line "I am posting this just to make a point" that I can only assume
was aimed at me.

  Hilarious!!!  As if a faster clocked machine is *not* going to post better
benchmark numbers???  I was not concerned with its bench-marks (I knew they
had better be higher if it worked at all), just with its complete functionality.

  I was personally very happy that it *did* work at the faster speed, as
perhaps it is proof that the team I am on is doing a good job of stress testing
the machine before they leave the factory.  But, sure enough as his *does*
work at the higher than intended speed, probably the next 100 won't.

  All this uninformed "upgrading" from a (claimed) electrical engineer who
should know better, or should at least admit the fact that you should not
operate a piece of equipment outside its specifications without knowing WHY
the specifications were set or how to test the new COMPLETE functionality of
the machine.

|How does that concept of "I've bought it, it's mine" apply here?  Is it
|unethical to get the best performance possible out of a machine you've paid
|for, even if the manufacturer didn't intend for that performance to be avail-
|able?
|
|If a vendor is going to sell me a computer, I would use it to its best
|performance--regardless of what the vendor intends!

  I personally really do believe that Bill is correct here.  If you bought it,
you should be able to do what you want to it.

  ***BUT**!!!!  Do not assume that the manufacturer is unaware of the possible
"upgrades" you might attempt.  First, you might ask yourself (or others that
might be in the know) for what reason the manufacturer might want to hold
the higher ability of the machine away from the customer.

  One way to do this, as has been cited before, is to investigate what the
*manufacturer* does to upgrade the machine.  If, as in the above-cited case,
the upgrade *does* involve a hardware limitation, PROCEED WITH CAUTION, not
with the blind enthusiasm of a child with a new toy (as my 14MHz-happy friend
was sounding).

 If the upgrade is simply switching a switch or trading out a known lower
spec part that is holding everything else down, *AND* you are sure that
that is all that is needed and that that is the way the manufacturer does
it, I would personally say DO IT!!  And DO IT the cheapest way you can....

  The whole problem is that the uninformed often think that the BIG BAD
companies are just wanting their money.  Well, sometimes it may be true,
but it is a dangerous generalization to make all the time.

Randy Davis					UUCP: ...(att!)ocrjd!randy
						      ...(att!)occrsh!rjd

Crippler circuitry in cars. Warning, rumor time.

At one point the top-end engine in the Chevy Camaro was just a bit too
powerful... it put the car in a very expensive bracket for most of the
major insurance companies. I don't recall the details, but apparently
they had categories for sports cars, muscle cars, and racing cars... and
with this particular engine it was a racing car by their definition.

So Chevy simply published lower specs on the engine and let the word leak
out what a sleeper it was...

tat@pccuts.pcc.amdahl.com (Tom Thackrey) (02/15/89)

In article <132@aucis.UUCP> bnick@aucis.UUCP (Bill Nickless) writes:
>What do the companies (Amdahl, IBM, et. al.) do about the "sneaky" computer
>operator who figures out that you remove board X and get Y*1.5 performance?
>Or if you flip this switch or comment out this code or patch the OS to allow
>more than the licensed number of users on?

First, the upgrade is seldom that simple.  Second, it's a trade secret,
so if you find out how you've probably found out from someone who will
end up in court with you when the manufacturer finds out.  Third, there
is usually some microcode which you can't get unless you have an official
upgrade.  Fourth, in the case of mainframes, you'd have trouble making the
change without the field engineers finding out.

So, all you have to do is examine the custom-chip multi-layer printed
circut boards to devine the change, fabricate new chips/boards.  Add
the secret wire(s).  Re-write the microcode and console operating system
(or patch it with no source code).  Shoudn't be too hard for the average
operator.
--

andy@Gang-of-Four.Stanford.EDU (Andy Freeman) (02/16/89)

In article <3088@ficc.uu.net> peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
>At one point the top-end engine in the Chevy Camaro was just a bit too
>powerful... it put the car in a very expensive bracket for most of the
>major insurance companies.

>So Chevy simply published lower specs on the engine and let the word leak
>out what a sleeper it was...

I love urban myths.  Insurance companies hear everything that the
enthusiast hears.  If the engine made a significant difference,
or the IC even thought it did, the IC will charge more, no matter
what the specs say.  If you're lucky, they'd test it first.

On the other hand, this is the kind of publicity that sells cars.
Other myths have similar motivations, and they aren't always to sell
something; often they're intended to hurt a company.

-andy
UUCP:  {arpa gateways, decwrl, uunet, rutgers}!polya.stanford.edu!andy
ARPA:  andy@polya.stanford.edu
(415) 329-1718/723-3088 home/cubicle

stox@ttrde.UUCP (Kenneth P. Stox) (02/16/89)

In article <3088@ficc.uu.net>, peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
> Crippler circuitry in cars. Warning, rumor time.
>
> At one point the top-end engine in the Chevy Camaro was just a bit too
> powerful... it put the car in a very expensive bracket for most of the
> major insurance companies. I don't recall the details, but apparently
> they had categories for sports cars, muscle cars, and racing cars... and
> with this particular engine it was a racing car by their definition.

On a related note, the 1984 Mustang SVO and Thunderbird Turbo Coupe shared
the same engine, but the SVO had a 3 pound greater boost on the turbo. To
get the same out of the Thunderbird, all one had to do was turn a lever on
the side of the turbo housing. Presto !!!! 25 more horses !!

#include <std_disclaimer.h>

Ken Stox
AT&T Bell Laboratories
att!ttrde!stox

markz@ssc.UUCP (Mark Zenier) (02/16/89)

In article <132@aucis.UUCP>, bnick@aucis.UUCP (Bill Nickless) writes:
> How does that concept of "I've bought it, it's mine" apply here?  Is it
> unethical to get the best performance possible out of a machine you've paid
> for, even if the manufacturer didn't intend for that performance to be avail-
> able?
>
> If a vendor is going to sell me a computer, I would use it to its best
> performance--regardless of what the vendor intends!

During the era when crippler circuitry was popular, equipment  was
leased, not sold.  When the CE came around for preventative maintence
and found some upgraded equipment, they would either downgrade it or get
you billed for what you were using.  And you thought PM was to keep
things working *-).

Mark Zenier    uunet!nwnexus!pilchuck!ssc!markz    markz@ssc.uucp
                            uunet!amc!
                      uw-beaver!tikal!

bobd@ihf1.UUCP (Bob Dietrich) (02/17/89)

A mainframe computer I worked on at one time had a switch to change it from a
slower to a faster model (at least 20%). Customers weren't supposed to know
about it, but word leaked out and the machine was run in the faster mode.
That is, until the mainframe company's CE came out to do maintenance, noticed
that the diagnostics were running faster than normal, and refused to work on
the machine since we weren't licensed for the upgrade. The machine went back
to the slower speed. BTW, this was not at Intel.

usenet:	uunet!littlei!intelhf!ihf1!bobd		Bob Dietrich
  or	tektronix!ogccse!omepd!ihf1!bobd	Intel Corp., Hillsboro, Oregon
  or	tektronix!psu-cs!omepd!ihf1!bobd	(503) 696-2092

rwl@uvacs.cs.Virginia.EDU (Ray Lubinsky) (02/18/89)

In article <205@nlgvax.UUCP>, hans@nlgvax.UUCP (Hans Zuidam) writes:
> IBM and the computer industry at large are not the only ones using this
> pricing strategy. You see the same effect in pricing of audio equipement
> (CD players!), pocket calculators, and so on.

Funny you should mention that.  In the late 70's, I bought a four-function LED
calculator from Sears.  While fooling around with it, I discoverd that pressing
[X] followed by [/] would produce the square root of the number!

--
| Ray Lubinsky                         rwl@trinity.cs.virginia.edu (Internet) |
|                                      rwl@virginia                  (BITnet) |

erict@flatline.UUCP (j eric townsend) (02/19/89)

In article <205@nlgvax.UUCP>, hans@nlgvax.UUCP (Hans Zuidam) writes:
> IBM and the computer industry at large are not the only ones using this
> pricing strategy. You see the same effect in pricing of audio equipement
> (CD players!), pocket calculators, and so on.

I own a Toshiba VCR, M5800 I believe, that has all of the "neat" functions
on the remote *only*.  Recently, on a home shopping channel, I saw a
Toshiba that looked *exactly* like mine, down to trim placement around
the LED panel.  However, it did 4 or 6 more things than my VCR.  How?

Via the remote, of course.  Any Toshiba owners want to compare remotes,
serial numbers, etc?

--
J. Eric Townsend | "This is your brain. This is your brain on drugs.  This
 uunet!sugar!flatline!erict | is your brain on drugs with spam and toast."

bradb@ai.toronto.edu (Brad Brown) (02/19/89)

In article <79700020@p.cs.uiuc.edu> gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

>1.  What are the ethics of creating a service monopoly?
>
>Apple seems to do this.  Apple's only repair is "replace the logic
>card" ($300-$600).  Hence, for many simple problems (e.g. custom chip
>burnout) it's $300-$600.

Right.  IBM sure does this on their PCs.  They claim it's not worth it
to repair a board, and in the case of one of those fancy surface-mount
PC boards they *might* be right.  Guess one of the reasons why I will
never buy an IBM PC -- I'm typing this on a nice 12MHz AT clone with
socketed chips...

					(-:  Brad Brown  :-)
					bradb@ai.toronto.edu

seanf@sco.COM (Sean Fagan) (02/20/89)

In article <79700020@p.cs.uiuc.edu> gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu writes:
>2.  I think intentionally "crippled" machines are mostly a thing of
>the past.  IBM probably did it to avoid competing with themselves ("we
>can't sell this super-fast machine cheap, because we'll hurt our own
>business").

This is not really true.  The only difference is that now more people are
buying machines with microprocessors, which have widely announced and
published timings (i.e., if you bought a Framistans, Inc. Model G, with a
25MHz 68020 and 68881, you would be really surprised if it could only do 3
MIPS, right?).  People who buy mainframes (and some brands of minis) still
have to put up with this.  For example:  CDC's newer machines have a field
upgrade which essentially consists of replacing the boot up microcode.
Crays also have a nice little field upgrade, but, considering what the Cray
CE's carry around in their vans, that's not saying much 8-).

--

In article <751@pccuts.pcc.amdahl.com> tat@pccuts.pcc.amdahl.com (Tom Thackrey) writes:
>First, the upgrade is seldom that simple.  Second, it's a trade secret,
>so if you find out how you've probably found out from someone who will
>end up in court with you when the manufacturer finds out.  Third, there
>is usually some microcode which you can't get unless you have an official
>upgrade.  Fourth, in the case of mainframes, you'd have trouble making the
>change without the field engineers finding out.

1.  Sometimes it is.  See a previous article about CDC's and upgrading.
2.  Not necessarily.  In the case of (1) above, it was discovered when they
upgraded one of their machines and looked at the differences.  They owned,
of course, both machines.
3.  Not all machines have microcode, which is why the Cybers mentioned above
could be upgraded by the removal of a wire or two.  Crays also don't have
microcode ("Real(tm) Computers don't have Microcode").
4.  If it's easy, what you do is deliberately slow the machine down for when
the ce's come by.  If it's microcode, all you have to do is have two boot
tapes.

--

B.Witts@ucl-cs.UUCP (02/24/89)

From: Bill Witts <B.Witts@uk.ac.ucl.cs>

I get the feeling that there is an unnecessary degree of
abstraction in this debate.  The cost of buying the machine or
buying an upgrade from somebody is *entirely* based upon their
calculation of what can best further their company's interests,
probably by maximizing profit.  They don't have any obligation
to make an upgrade any more complex than they have to, and if
you were happy with the original machine at the price you paid
and you were happy to pay the quoted amount for the upgrade,
then you have no grounds for complaint when the techy just
rips out a jump-lead.  You are paying for the upgrade, they are
simply trying to deprive you of your assets.  Normal business.

Do ethics really enter into this?  Nobody actually gets stung,
and the only reason people feel dissatisfied seems to be some
kind of resentment because "I could have done that".  But it
isn't the vendor's problem that you feel this way: you knew the
cost and were willing to pay.  I personally would feel far
happier to have my machine upgraded like this - I would feel
that the upgrade was designed in from the start - than to have
some guy spend a week hacksawing the circuit boards, installing
new fans, cutting tracks and soldering obscure transistors
across them, desoldering processors, adding smoke alarms,
fire-escapes ... Is this the sort of upgrade people would feel
was "worth the money"?

                ... Bill     - "We ain't runnin' no charity here boy"

Bill Witts, CS Dept.     *    Nel Mezzo del cammin di nostra vita
UCL, London, Errrp       *    mi ritrovai per una selva oscura
william@cs.ucl.ac.uk     *    che la diritta via era smarrita.

msb@sq.com (Mark Brader) (03/03/89)

> Do ethics really enter into this?  Nobody actually gets stung,
> and the only reason people feel dissatisfied seems to be some
> kind of resentment because "I could have done that".

If the fast version of the machine sells for $B (B for Big Number), and
the crippled version sells for $S, and the crippling really is done
simply by adding something (something non-functional and of negligible
cost) to the fast version, then the manufacturer must be making $(B-X)
profit on each fast machine and $(S-X) on each crippled one, for some $X.
Unless they're engaging on "loss leader" or similar strategies, both numbers
are positive.

This means that the vendor could have chosen to sell the fast machines
at price $S and still made a profit.  Instead they elected to receive
a profit larger by a substantial amount, namely $(B-S).  Now posit a
second company selling a virtually identical machine but selling the
fast version for $S, with comparable marketing and the like.  Result:
they get all the business.  But what if the second company also decides
to take the crippler approach?  Then each company, maybe, gets half the
business and greater total profit.

The ethical issue arises in two ways:  if several companies are in
the same market and many or all of them are using cripplers, there is
an appearance of price-fixing.  And if only one company is in a market
and is using a crippler, they appear to be taking advantage of a type
of monopoly.  But for these purposes "a market" may mean one segment of a
highly segmented market; computers of different brands sometimes don't
really compete against each other; so these situations do happen.  Now, is
price-fixing ethical?  Is this price-fixing?  There's your ethical question.

The resentment arises from the perception that this may be happening.
It also arises from the fact that the existence of the crippler circuit
makes the buyer feel that the profit increase of $(B-S) is *unreasonable*;
after all, the vendor is earning that increase for nothing.  So the buyer
feels taken advantage of.  Probably if the vendor sold the fast machine
only, the price would be between $B and $S; but the buyer sees only that the
vendor could have sold for $S and still made a profit, and resents that.

I have tried to present this neutrally, but my emotion is with the buyer.

Mark Brader, SoftQuad Inc., Toronto			It's all Henry's fault.
utzoo!sq!msb, msb@sq.com				    -- Geoff Collyer

haynes@ucscc.UCSC.EDU (Jim Haynes) (03/03/89)

In article <1989Mar2.193443.17196@sq.com> msb@sq.com (Mark Brader) writes:

>If the fast version of the machine sells for $B (B for Big Number), and
>the crippled version sells for $S, and the crippling really is done
>simply by adding something (something non-functional and of negligible
>cost) to the fast version, then the manufacturer must be making $(B-X)
>profit on each fast machine and $(S-X) on each crippled one, for some $X.

But the problem is that X is not a constant with time.  Typically the fast
version comes on the market first, when $B is big but $X is also big.
In fact for the first machine produced $X is a lot bigger than $B if you
divide the total development cost by the number produced to-date.  The
vendor makes a guess as to the number that will sell, or that will sell in
the first year, and uses that to compute $X.  So $(B-X) may not be
inordinate for the original value of X.  Also the initial $B is constrained
by what is already in the marketplace; unless you're IBM you can't set
$B higher than the price of machines of similar performance already on
the market.  In fact for a new machine you'll have to set it lower to
attract any business.

If your sales estimate is overly optimistic then $X is higher than you
expected and $(B-X) may indeed be negative.  Think how many companies
entered the computer business over the years, and how many of them exited
without ever showing a profit.

After your machine has been on the market for a while a couple of things
happen.  If sales hold up then $X per unit will go down, both because you
recover the startup cost and because the cost to manufacture goes down
with experience.  Secondly, newer machines are introduced or rumored
which because of advancing technology promise higher performance at the
same or lower cost.  So your machines become less attractive at the
price $B.  But because $X has declined you can afford to sell at some
lower price $S and still make money, which would not have been possible
at time of first introduction.  Here's where the mathematics get tricky,
because you want to maximize total profit.  So you want to sell as many
as you think you can at the original price $B, and sell as many more as
you think you can at some lower price $S that will attract those unwilling
to pay $B.

It's also complicated by asset value of the machines that are out there.
This was probably more true in the past when leasing was much more a
normal way to obtain a computer.  (Remember when you couldn't buy an
IBM machine at all, you could only lease?)  I don't pretend to know
anything about accounting, but if you put machines out at an initial price
of $B then the owners (you, or the buyer, or a third-party leasing company)
expect to depreciate that figure over a certain length of time and this
is used to set the lease price at something sufficient to pay back the
money you or the buyer or the third-party company borrowed to build the
machines with in the first place.  Now if after a year you simply
reduce the price of the machine from $B to $S things get messy fast.
Like your lease customers might find it advantageous to return the
machines, terminate the lease, and then lease newer copies of the same
machines for a lower rate based on $S.  By introducing a crippled version
of the machine you hope to destroy the incentive to turn back leased
machines; and also you hope to keep the original depreciation schedule
intact.  Remember when IBM killed Itel by introducing new models well
before the older ones were depreciated?

mike@apollo.COM (Michael Schloss) (03/04/89)

In article <1989Mar2.193443.17196@sq.com> msb@sq.com (Mark Brader) writes:
>> Do ethics really enter into this?  Nobody actually gets stung,
>> and the only reason people feel dissatisfied seems to be some
>> kind of resentment because "I could have done that".
>
>If the fast version of the machine sells for $B (B for Big Number), and
>the crippled version sells for $S, and the crippling really is done
>simply by adding something (something non-functional and of negligible
>cost) to the fast version, then the manufacturer must be making $(B-X)
>profit on each fast machine and $(S-X) on each crippled one, for some $X.
>Unless they're engaging on "loss leader" or similar strategies, both numbers
>are positive.
>
>This means that the vendor could have chosen to sell the fast machines
>at price $S and still made a profit.  Instead they elected to receive
>a profit larger by a substantial amount, namely $(B-S).  Now posit a
>second company selling a virtually identical machine but selling the
>fast version for $S, with comparable marketing and the like.  Result:
>they get all the business.  But what if the second company also decides
>to take the crippler approach?  Then each company, maybe, gets half the
>business and greater total profit.
>
>The ethical issue arises in two ways:  if several companies are in
>the same market and many or all of them are using cripplers, there is
>an appearance of price-fixing.  And if only one company is in a market
>and is using a crippler, they appear to be taking advantage of a type
>of monopoly.  But for these purposes "a market" may mean one segment of a
>highly segmented market; computers of different brands sometimes don't
>really compete against each other; so these situations do happen.  Now, is
>price-fixing ethical?  Is this price-fixing?  There's your ethical question.
>
>The resentment arises from the perception that this may be happening.
>It also arises from the fact that the existence of the crippler circuit
>makes the buyer feel that the profit increase of $(B-S) is *unreasonable*;
>after all, the vendor is earning that increase for nothing.  So the buyer
>feels taken advantage of.  Probably if the vendor sold the fast machine
>only, the price would be between $B and $S; but the buyer sees only that the
>vendor could have sold for $S and still made a profit, and resents that.
>
>I have tried to present this neutrally, but my emotion is with the buyer.
>
>Mark Brader, SoftQuad Inc., Toronto			It's all Henry's fault.
>utzoo!sq!msb, msb@sq.com				    -- Geoff Collyer

You may be missing a point here.  Let's say that each incremental machine costs $X.
Let's also say that R&D costs for the machine are 10000 * $X.  The company wants
to sell as many of these as possible to recoup their R&D costs and make a profit.
They sell the machines for $Y where Y >> X.  In the course of their sales and
marketing research they have found that there are a lot of people out there who
would like to buy the machine but can't afford $Y.  If the market is isolated
enough they may sell some at a cost of $(X+Z) where Z is a relatively small markup.
An example of this is a manufacturer giving a big discount to universities.  As
long as it doesn't affect sales for $Y there is no harm done.  If the market isn't
isolated enough then they may resort to one or more "crippled" versions.  They
aren't trying to cheat the customer, they are just trying to sell more machines
without hurting their regular ($X) sales.  Other businesses do this too.  Ever
seen a bookstore selling paperbacks with the cover torn off?  Or record stores
selling "cut-outs", albums with one corner cut off of the jacket.  A better
example would be the clothing stores that buy from manufactures that have stamped
"IRREGULAR" on the inside of a pair of pants, or slash the label, or cut the little
gator off.  Hope this clears things up.

Mike Schloss
mike@apollo.com
{decvax,mit-erl,yale}!apollo!mike

bga@raspail.cdcnet.cdc.com (Bruce Albrecht) (03/04/89)

In article <1989Mar2.193443.17196@sq.com>, msb@sq.com (Mark Brader) writes:
> > Do ethics really enter into this?  Nobody actually gets stung,
> > and the only reason people feel dissatisfied seems to be some
> > kind of resentment because "I could have done that".
>
> If the fast version of the machine sells for $B (B for Big Number), and
> the crippled version sells for $S, and the crippling really is done
> simply by adding something (something non-functional and of negligible
> cost) to the fast version, then the manufacturer must be making $(B-X)
> profit on each fast machine and $(S-X) on each crippled one, for some $X.
> Unless they're engaging on "loss leader" or similar strategies, both numbers
> are positive.

Suppose the situation is this: the company expects to sell N fast machines
for $B, and the R&D for developing the fast machine is $R, or $R/N per machine.
X is the cost to manufacture and sell the machine.  The profit for the big
machine is therefore $(B-X-R/N).  If, in addition to the fast machine, there
is a market for M "cripplied" machines, and it would cost .1 R to design
cripple circuitry, but .8 R to design a separate, slower machine.  Therefore,
if it costs roughly the same to build the fast machine or the slow machine,
the profit for the slow machine is either $(S-X-.1R/M) or $(S-X-.8R/M).  As
you can see, it is far more profitable for a company to build a system that
is as fast as it can build, and slow it down, than it is to design two
separate systems.  So the company is better off selling a cheap "crippled"
system, even though the manufacturing costs aren't cheaper, if the R&D costs
are high.

When the computer system has proprietary OS and applications, the buyer is
mostly buying the applications, but also buying price performance.  Even if
the customer buys the original system for price-performance reasons, any
subsequent purchases are probably for the applications.  It makes a lot of
business sense, especially when you're selling proprietary software, to
sell wimpy machines to capture new customers that are on a low budget and
buying applications for the first time, because repeat sales are easier than
finding new customers.  After all, there are a lot of businesses out there
that buy a cheap system, wait until they are exceeding their computing
resources, and then upgrade to a larger system, rather than spending the
big bucks to buy the more powerful system in the first place.

> The ethical issue arises in two ways:  if several companies are in
> the same market and many or all of them are using cripplers, there is
> an appearance of price-fixing.  And if only one company is in a market
> and is using a crippler, they appear to be taking advantage of a type
> of monopoly.  But for these purposes "a market" may mean one segment of a
> highly segmented market; computers of different brands sometimes don't
> really compete against each other; so these situations do happen.  Now, is
> price-fixing ethical?  Is this price-fixing?  There's your ethical question.

It's not price fixing unless the companies agree to set prices together.  In
reality, the computer companies set their prices based on their older
equipment, other companies current prices, manufacturing costs, R&D costs,
etc.  It's no more price fixing than when your local gas stations all sell
gas at the same price, or within 2-3 cents.

> The resentment arises from the perception that this may be happening.
> It also arises from the fact that the existence of the crippler circuit
> makes the buyer feel that the profit increase of $(B-S) is *unreasonable*;
> after all, the vendor is earning that increase for nothing.  So the buyer
> feels taken advantage of.  Probably if the vendor sold the fast machine
> only, the price would be between $B and $S; but the buyer sees only that the
> vendor could have sold for $S and still made a profit, and resents that.

I doubt that most corporate buyers feel cheated.  They are, after all, buying
a product with a certain performance.  How it obtains that performance is
irrelevant.  I suspect that the people that are the most outraged at "crippled"
machines don't even have any financial stake in it, don't understand the basis
for pricing, and are mostly upset because they really want a supercomputer for
the price of a PC, and they think that building a "crippled" machine is
preventing them from getting one.

> I have tried to present this neutrally, but my emotion is with the buyer.

It shows.

wcs@skep2.ATT.COM (Bill.Stewart.[ho95c]) (03/06/89)

In article <1989Mar2.193443.17196@sq.com> msb@sq.com (Mark Brader) writes:
[ Discussion of slow-down circuits to create price differentials ]
> > Do ethics really enter into this?  Nobody actually gets stung,
> Now, is price-fixing ethical?  Is this price-fixing?
> There's your ethical question.

As long as there's no coercion involved, charging any price you want is
ethical.  In poor taste, maybe.  A bad marketing move, maybe. A clear
sign to your customers that they might get better service from another
company, maybe.  But as long as the wimped-down version of the machine
delivers the performance you told them it would, it's ethical.

Unethical is when you ask the US Government to keep the competition
from selling their products without crippler circuits for the same
prices as your selling your crippled versions.  That's using force to
extract money from your customers, merely a friendly version of theft.
After all, if the Government says they're here to help you, might as
well help yourselves...

But if you can get your customers to buy the artificially-slow machine
for an artifically high price, and your competitors do the same,
maybe the customers will believe they're getting better services from
the people with the impressive brand names than from Clonesville Computers.
And if not, Clonesville will kick your butts.  Which will also be
perfectly ethical.
--
# Bill Stewart, AT&T Bell Labs 2G218 Holmdel NJ 201-949-0705 ho95c.att.com!wcs
# Synchronicity is when the paper has an article about Moonie ties to

chris@mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) (03/06/89)

In article <491@skep2.ATT.COM> wcs@skep2.ATT.COM (Bill.Stewart.[ho95c]) writes:
>As long as there's no coercion involved, charging any price you want is
>ethical.  In poor taste, maybe.  A bad marketing move, maybe. A clear
>sign to your customers that they might get better service from another
>company, maybe.  But as long as the wimped-down version of the machine
>delivers the performance you told them it would, it's ethical.

The definition of `ethic' is a bit slippery%, but if you rephrase this
as `will I stop you, and do I think other people should stop you?', my
answer is `no'.  I *do* think `crippler' circuits are stupid, and I
would recommend that people not buy the machine, but I happen to like
free markets.

>Unethical is when you ask the US Government to keep the competition
>from selling their products without crippler circuits for the same
>prices as your selling your crippled versions.

And many people seem to agree with this, until . . .

>maybe the customers will believe they're getting better services from
>the people with the impressive brand names than from Clonesville Computers.
>And if not, Clonesville will kick your butts.

. . . they find out that Clonesville is a (Korean|Japanese|insert your
favourite rival country) manufacturer and start crying for tariffs.
Hmm.

-----
% Webster defines `ethical' as

   ... 2: conforming to accepted esp. professional standards of conduct ...

  so one could claim that `if everyone does it' it must be `ethical'.
  `Ethical' also carries a fair connotative weight.  Best to avoid the
  word outside of rhetoric.

msb@sq.com (Mark Brader) (03/07/89)

Quoting one of three rather similar followups to my item:

> You may be missing a point here.  Let's say that each incremental machine
> costs $X.  Let's also say that R&D costs for the machine are 10000 * $X.
> ... In the course of their sales and marketing research they have found
> that there are a lot of people out there who would like to buy the
> machine but can't afford $Y.

No, I didn't miss this.  The question I was discussing was not whether
the manufacturer has a motivation to engage in this behavior -- clearly they
do -- but whether one can legitimately question their ethics when they do.

It may be argued that the ethical manufacturer, in the above situation,
would simply reduce the price of the machine after selling some number
of them at the initial price.  It may also be argued that there is no
ethical obligation for them to do so.

Mark Brader			"Alas, there is NO SUCH THING as
SoftQuad Inc., Toronto		'NO SUCH THING as privileged access.'"
utzoo!sq!msb, msb@sq.com			-- Alan Silverstein

B.Witts@ucl-cs.UUCP (03/17/89)

From: Bill Witts <B.Witts@uk.ac.ucl.cs>

 >% Webster defines `ethical' as

 >   ... 2: conforming to accepted esp. professional standards of conduct ...

 >  so one could claim that `if everyone does it' it must be `ethical'.
 >  `Ethical' also carries a fair connotative weight.  Best to avoid the
 >  word outside of rhetoric.

Interesting point - if a whole industry is wrapped up as a
cartel, then this presumably becomes the professional code of
conduct .....?

                       ... Bill