[comp.misc] vi-like

carlp@iscuva.ISCS.COM (Carl Paukstis) (03/05/89)

In article <958@starfish.Convergent.COM> jerry@starfish.Convergent.COM (Gerald Hawkins) writes:
>However (no flame intended) why the heck would you want
>such an abomination?  vi is horrible and unfriendly ...  I've used lots
>of editors and vi is almost the worst.

EDITOR WARS!
I use vi because I work on lots of different systems, and lots of different
terminals.  It's a least-common-denominator solution.  I can sit down at
practically any UN*X system, with practically any terminal, and use
essentially ALL the features of vi.  I don't have to get PD source code and
'make' it (for a 5-minute editing job on a mchine I'll never see again).  I
don't have to carry a keyboard-definition file around with me, or customize
it for a braindamaged terminal.  If I did much PC work, I suppose I'd have
to carry around a diskette, but that's not currently a problem.  (I can
also use 'ed' on UN*X and 'edlin' on the PC, if I have to.)

As for "unfriendly", vi is hard to LEARN, not hard to USE.  I assure you, I
can be quite productive with vi - especially for quick jobs.

Sure, vi has some drawbacks; mainly it's outweighed by special-purpose
solutions.  BRIEF is quite good on the PC, and I tend to use Micro-EMACS
for larger, prolonged, complex multi-file editing.  But I can't compile on
my PC with M-E loaded; and I don't want to start it up again to correct a
semicolon - so I fall back on vi.  And that tends to increase my reliance
on vi:  I use it all the time, so I know the keys and commands.  I still
have to look things up for EMACS if I want to do anything complicated.  And
if I'm using somebody else's key bindings, I'm totally screwed.  Why is the
sequence 'dw' to delete a word "unfriendly"?
--
Carl Paukstis    +1 509 927 5600 x5321  |"The right to be heard does not
                                        | automatically include the right
UUCP:     carlp@iscuvc.ISCS.COM         | to be taken seriously."
          ...uunet!iscuva!carlp         |                  - H. H. Humphrey

In article <2386@iscuva.ISCS.COM>, carlp@iscuva.ISCS.COM (Carl Paukstis) writes:

> EDITOR WARS!
> As for "unfriendly", vi is hard to LEARN, not hard to USE.  I assure you, I
> can be quite productive with vi - especially for quick jobs.

I agree with you there. It is hard to learn. But once you master the wierd
commands, it's not so bad. As far as full screen editors go, it's my last
choice, but it's not real bad.

> Sure, vi has some drawbacks; mainly it's outweighed by special-purpose
> solutions.  BRIEF is quite good on the PC, and I tend to use Micro-EMACS
> for larger, prolonged, complex multi-file editing.  But I can't compile on
> my PC with M-E loaded; and I don't want to start it up again to correct a
> semicolon - so I fall back on vi.  And that tends to increase my reliance
> on vi:  I use it all the time, so I know the keys and commands.  I still
> have to look things up for EMACS if I want to do anything complicated.  And
> if I'm using somebody else's key bindings, I'm totally screwed.  Why is the
> sequence 'dw' to delete a word "unfriendly"?

well, dw is not so bad, but let's look at some of the other commands:

dd = delete line (why? why not dl?)
ZZ = end edit and save file (!!!!)
$ = end of file
A = insert begining at end of line !?!?!

sure there probably are reasons for such cryptic commands. For instance,
the dd for delete line is for convenience in deleting lines, you just have
to keep pressing the same key and watch the lines disapear. But that doesn't
make it any easier to learn or any more friendly.

Personally I like EDT (yes I grew up on DEC). It's easy to use, the keypad
is designed to do most of the editing commands, like del-word, del-line, go
to end of line, go to beginning of line, cut, paste, etc.

I like the keypad approach rather than the single letter commands in some
editors, because you don't have to leave insert mode in order to do editing.

I have see EDT for msdos machines, it is a very good port and very easy to
learn and use.

--
John Sparks      // Amiga  |  {rutgers|uunet}!ukma!corpane!sparks
               \X/  UUCP   |  >> call D.I.S.K. @ 502/968-5401 thru 5406 <<

Don't worry if you're a kleptomaniac, you can always take something for it.

In article <415@corpane.UUCP>, sparks@corpane.UUCP (John Sparks) writes:
> well, dw is not so bad, but let's look at some of the other commands:

> dd = delete line (why? why not dl?)

Because the syntax is 'd<x>' where '<x>' is a cursor motion command.
'l' means 'forward one character'. 'dl' is delete one character forward.

Actually, delete line is '^dj'. 'dd' is a shortcut.

> ZZ = end edit and save file (!!!!)

End edit and save file is ':wq<CR>'. End edit and save if changes is ':x<CR>'.
'ZZ' is a shortcut.

> $ = end of file

'$' is end of line, based on the regular expression syntax. It's a cursor
motion command, actually.

End of file is the default for the goto-line-number command, 'G'.

> A = insert begining at end of line !?!?!

Append to the end of line is '$a'. 'A' is a shortcut.

> sure there probably are reasons for such cryptic commands.

Yes, they're shortcuts for experts.

> But that doesn't make it any easier to learn or any more friendly.

Which is why it's a good idea to learn the *syntax* of vi, and worry
about the shortcuts later.

> Personally I like EDT (yes I grew up on DEC). It's easy to use, the keypad
> is designed to do most of the editing commands, like del-word, del-line, go
> to end of line, go to beginning of line, cut, paste, etc.

How about 'go to new file'?

Business: uunet.uu.net!ficc!peter, peter@ficc.uu.net, +1 713 274 5180.
Personal: ...!texbell!sugar!peter, peter@sugar.hackercorp.com.

I'm not a big vi fan, but I think I at least understand some of its
command mnemonics...

In article <415@corpane.UUCP> sparks@corpane.UUCP (John Sparks) writes:
>$ = end of file

This is a vestige of vi's history.  vi is descended from ed (which
itself is descended from a line editor on CTSS in the early 60's), and
$ has been used in all these editors to mean the end of something.  In
address expressions it means the last line of the buffer, and in
regular expressions it means the end of a line.  In the line editors,
just typing $ will be taken as a line address, so it will select the
last line of the buffer.  In vi, $ is the same as :$<RET>.

>A = insert begining at end of line !?!?!

"insert at end" == "Append", perhaps?

I'm surprised you didn't mention the motion commands h, j, k, and l,
which I heard were chosen because the vi developer used an ADM3A
terminal, which had arrows on the front of these indicating the control
operation (control-H (BackSpace) goes to the left, control-J
(LineFeed) goes down, etc.) they performed.

>Personally I like EDT (yes I grew up on DEC). It's easy to use, the keypad
>is designed to do most of the editing commands, like del-word, del-line, go
>to end of line, go to beginning of line, cut, paste, etc.

It's only easy if your keypad has keytops that have the appropriate
legends.  If not, EDT is much harder than vi or Emacs, which at least
have SOME mnemonic commands.

>I like the keypad approach rather than the single letter commands in some
>editors, because you don't have to leave insert mode in order to do editing.

You don't have to leave insert mode in Emacs-style editors, either,
yet it uses mostly single-character commands (unless you count
control-<char> as two characters).  And it isn't dependent on having a
special keypad.

Barry Margolin
Thinking Machines Corp.

barmar@think.com
{uunet,harvard}!think!barmar

aem@ibiza.Miami.Edu (a.e.mossberg) (03/10/89)

In <415@corpane.UUCP>, <sparks@corpane.UUCP> wrote:

>dd = delete line (why? why not dl?)
>ZZ = end edit and save file (!!!!)
>$ = end of file
>A = insert begining at end of line !?!?!

dd-delete line
dw-delete word
A-append at beginning of line
a-append after current position
I-insert at beginning of line
i-insert at current position
$-end of line
^-beginning of line

it's really all straight forward.  ZZ is just a convenience rather than
:wq -write and quit

>Personally I like EDT (yes I grew up on DEC). It's easy to use, the keypad
>is designed to do most of the editing commands, like del-word, del-line, go
>to end of line, go to beginning of line, cut, paste, etc.

It's what you're used to.  I didn't like vi at first -- the first full-screen
editor I used was on a Durango F-85 and that's what I liked. (Before that I
used @med on Univacs).  After using vi a bit I found it was much more
powerful than the other.  No doubt if I sat down and started using emacs
for awhile I would like it and appreciate the features it has over vi, but
right now it's just that cumbersome big editor with the weird syntax.  It's
ridiculous to complain about editors -- they're just tools. Don't like one?
Use a different one. Fine by me.

aem

a.e.mossberg aem@mthvax.miami.edu MIAVAX::AEM (Span) aem@umiami.BITNET (soon)
Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind. - Rudyard Kipling

In article <415@corpane.UUCP> sparks@corpane.UUCP (John Sparks) writes:
>In article <2386@iscuva.ISCS.COM>, carlp@iscuva.ISCS.COM (Carl Paukstis) writes:
>>
>> EDITOR WARS!
>
>well, dw is not so bad, but let's look at some of the other commands:
>
>dd = delete line (why? why not dl?)

Stuttered 'delete'.  'dl' means delete next character, primarily because
'l' means move to next character.

>ZZ = end edit and save file (!!!!)

I don't know why.  It sure does beat hell out of ':wq', and I'd rather
do 'ZZ' AND chop off my left foot twice a day than have to go through
something as hideous as "ctrl-X ctrl-C n" just to save & quit...

>$ = end of file

in a regular expression, yes; type '$' as a key command, however, and
it puts you at the end of the line.  Not great, not terrible.  I don't
know how emacs does go-to-end-of-line, and I do know that you have to
learn EDT macro programming to get it to work there.

>A = insert begining at end of line !?!?!

No, "append to end of line."  'a' is append-after-this-character, so it's
only natural that big-a is append-after-all-these-characters.

Any editor that takes my fingers off the 50-or-so major keys of a keyboard
or requires several-and-simultaneous strokes just to get the SIMPLE STUFF
done is going to kill my productivity.

Using VI is as easy as typing.

				--Blair
				  "I win.  Go home."

eliot@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Eliot Handelman) (03/10/89)

In article <2386@iscuva.ISCS.COM> carlp@iscuva.ISCS.COM (Carl Paukstis) writes:

@ I still
@ have to look things up for EMACS if I want to do anything complicated.  And
@ if I'm using somebody else's key bindings, I'm totally screwed.  Why is the
@ sequence 'dw' to delete a word "unfriendly"?

One huge adavantage of emacs is that it's documented online. The huge
disadvantage of vi is that it isn't.
--
>`Take that, Eliot!' -- 20th century composer on a waltz in D major
                                               -- Noam Elkies

mercer@ncrcce.StPaul.NCR.COM (Dan Mercer) (03/11/89)

In article <1472@umbio.MIAMI.EDU> aem@Mthvax.Miami.Edu (a.e.mossberg) writes:
>In <415@corpane.UUCP>, <sparks@corpane.UUCP> wrote:
>
>>dd = delete line (why? why not dl?)
>>ZZ = end edit and save file (!!!!)

Why ZZ - look at your keyboard.  The Z and Shift are next to each other on
many (most?) keyboards.  It's impossible to enter the sequence accidentally,
but very convenient to enter on purpose.  When I first began using vi,  I
was moving from IBM 3270 full screen editors,  like ISPF Edit and Xedit,  so
I was very dependent on using PF keys.  I used to use PF3 to save and exit,
just like in IBM editors,  but eventually found ZZ far easier to use.

>>$ = end of file
>>A = insert begining at end of line !?!?!
>
>dd-delete line

The syntax for vi commands is command-character or command-character/target
depending on whether the command-character takes a target.  X,x and ~, for
instance,  do not take targets.

d,y,c,! take targets.  The repetition of the command character,  for
instance yy, dd, cc, !!,  takes the current line as the target.  It's
completely consistent and relatively simple to remember.
>dw-delete word
>A-append at beginning of line
>a-append after current position
>I-insert at beginning of line
>i-insert at current position
>$-end of line
>^-beginning of line

When I first got started on UNIX,  my group put together a wish list for
our text editor.  We considered vi totally unsuitable (never having used
anything more complex than Xedit).  We wanted something that would allow us
to insert models of text (like C skeletons) like we enjoyed with ISPF
Edit and Amdahl's UTS Ned editor.  We wanted to be able to reformat
text,  like with WordStar.  We wanted to be able to edit multiple files,
to move data between files,  to interface actively with the shell,  to
have online help information,  to use menus, to do block moves, a
spelling checker...

Finally,  we found that editor - and it turned out to be !!!!!

					VI

Yes, poor,  humble,  but immensely powerful vi,  the Clark Kent of
editors.  What you need,  if you are so disatisfied with vi,  is
a few good vi hackers to build you a toolkit to turbo charge vi
and make it into whatever you want.

How did we transform VI from plain Jane to Jane Fonda - simple as !

The !, w! and r!  commands allow vi to read and write to the shell.
For instance,  the skeleton program takes the current line,  writes it
to a FIFO opened by a background process.  That process compares the
supplied line to entries in a skeleton file (a simple text file
that's easy to build and maintain).  If a match is found,  the matching
lines are written to an output FIFO that vi has opened with a :r command
(all this is done by pressing a PF key with a macro defined for the
needed operations).  The skeleton is imported into the file at
the exact indentation as the original keyword.

If no match is found in the skeleton file,  no problem, the lint files
are searched - voila,  instant lint.

As for the spelling checker,  that to is pf key driven,  sending the
current page or paragraph to the spellchecker (the UNIX spell,  at
least SYS5,  is a horribly slow shell script.  It was very easy to
modify to speed up,  and by sending its output to sed,  the
errant words can be marked so they can be easily found and corrected.)

Reformatting paragraphs is also as easy as pressing one key (all
you need is the correct reformatting program)  as is drawing
boxes (ours require special characters because they are printed on
a laser printer off our MVS host).

We found vi so useful,  that we abandoned development of the editor
portion of the user interface of our project and used vi instead.
The rest of the user interface uses menus that drop down on the
vi session.

I was working on a split window version of vi (without touching vi
object or source code) when I moved to another department).

now, ZZ

--

Dan Mercer

gregg@ihlpb.ATT.COM (Wonderly) (03/11/89)

From article <415@corpane.UUCP>, by sparks@corpane.UUCP (John Sparks):
> well, dw is not so bad, but let's look at some of the other commands:
>
> dd = delete line (why? why not dl?)

d followed by any keystroke that moves the cursor deletes the region
that the cursor traverses (y, c, < and > act the same way too).  So dl
deletes one character or 5dl deletes 5.  'x' internally is just a macro
of dl.

> ZZ = end edit and save file (!!!!)

Spare keys probably

> $ = end of file

... and end of line.

All through UN*X, '$' means last or end of something, it is pretty
orthognal in that respect.

> A = insert begining at end of line !?!?!

Try append... it is a macro for '$a'...

--
Gregg Wonderly                             DOMAIN: gregg@ihlpb.att.com
AT&T Bell Laboratories                     UUCP:   att!ihlpb!gregg

ked@garnet.berkeley.edu (Earl H. Kinmonth) (03/11/89)

In article <6961@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> eliot@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Eliot Handelman) writes:
>@ if I'm using somebody else's key bindings, I'm totally screwed.  Why is the
>@ sequence 'dw' to delete a word "unfriendly"?

If you are suffering from premature senility and have difficulty remembering
such complex concepts as

dw = delete word
cw = change word

it is a fairly trivial matter to have someone write a crib sheet for you.

In article <6961@phoenix.Princeton.EDU>, eliot@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Eliot Handelman) writes:
> One huge adavantage of emacs is that it's documented online. The huge
> disadvantage of vi is that it isn't.

Only huge emacs' (GNUemacs, for example) are documented online.

Some of us don't have >1 meg of RAM and 15 meg of disk to blow on an editor.

flee@shire (Felix Lee) (03/13/89)

In article <3384@ficc.uu.net>,
  peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
> Only huge emacs' (GNUemacs, for example) are documented online.

JOVE (Johnathan's Own Version of Emacs) has online documentation,
and isn't huge last time I checked.  A full-featured Jove with
Berkeley Unix support is slightly smaller than vi.  The online
doc file is about 80K.
--
Felix Lee	flee@shire.cs.psu.edu	*!psuvax1!shire!flee

I really could care less whether someone uses vi or not. It's there business.
I was just commenting on vi's sometime strange syntax.

In article <1472@umbio.MIAMI.EDU>, aem@ibiza.Miami.Edu (a.e.mossberg) writes:
> In <415@corpane.UUCP>, <sparks@corpane.UUCP> wrote:
>
>me >dd = delete line (why? why not dl?)
>me >ZZ = end edit and save file (!!!!)
>me >$ = end of file
>me >A = insert begining at end of line !?!?!
>
> dd-delete line
> dw-delete word
> A-append at beginning of line
              ^^^^^? seems like it appends to the END of the current line to me.

> a-append after current position
> I-insert at beginning of line
> i-insert at current position
> $-end of line
> ^-beginning of line

Just what was meant by the above? It's mostly the same thing I posted.

> it's really all straight forward.  ZZ is just a convenience rather than
> :wq -write and quit
But... why ZZ?!? why not ESC-X for  eXit? My whole point wsa that vi uses
some very cryptic commands. I am sure it seems very natural to someone who
is an expert at it, but to a beginner it's very confusing. It's not at all
'straight forward'. What's really confusing is that some of the commands
actually make sense and that really throws you for a loop. Just when you
think you have got the commands down pat, boom! a weird one creeps in like
ZZ. For example: dw means delete word. makes perfect sense. then you get
dd for delete line instead of dl.

But like some others have pointed out: My opinions are good for me, and
I don't have the inclination nor the right to tell them that their preferred
editor in right or wrong for them. I do however reserve the right to choose
for myself. I am starting to get a real liking for word perfect (for unix)
Most of it's commands are in the form of function keys. So a template really
helps you remember the commands. You can edit more than one file at a time,
and with macros you can set it up to save itself in unix compatable text file
format with two keystrokes (F1/x for me) Matter of fact, I am using wp to
write this. I Think I am starting to like it better than EDT. Give it a
try if you have access to it.

--

dig@peritek.UUCP (Dave Gotwisner) (03/14/89)

In article <415@corpane.UUCP>, sparks@corpane.UUCP (John Sparks) writes:
> In article <2386@iscuva.ISCS.COM>, carlp@iscuva.ISCS.COM (Carl Paukstis) writes:
> >
> > EDITOR WARS!
> > As for "unfriendly", vi is hard to LEARN, not hard to USE.  I assure you, I
> > can be quite productive with vi - especially for quick jobs.
>
> I agree with you there. It is hard to learn. But once you master the wierd
> commands, it's not so bad. As far as full screen editors go, it's my last
> choice, but it's not real bad.

I too, agree.  For really quick jobs, however, I use cat > file :-).

I have been using VI since it's inception at UC Berkeley around '76 (or was
it '77).  At the time, VI was nearly impossible for me to learn, but now that I
am familiar with it, other editors are just as hard (I am somewhat dyslexic,
and I love the xp capability) for me to use.  My debugging cycle consists
mostly of edit/compile/[edit to fix typo from last edit].

Most of the commands aren't weird, if you are familiar with ed (which was
the only editor really available on UNIX at the time VI was written), and
when you reallize that most (true, not all) of the single letter commands
are mnemonic for something.

I wouldn't really consider VI a screen editor, since commands only
affect either cursor movement or action around where the cursor is
(ignoring what is actually on the screen).

> > Sure, vi has some drawbacks; mainly it's outweighed by special-purpose
> > solutions.  BRIEF is quite good on the PC, and I tend to use Micro-EMACS
> > for larger, prolonged, complex multi-file editing.  But I can't compile on
> > my PC with M-E loaded; and I don't want to start it up again to correct a
> > semicolon - so I fall back on vi.  And that tends to increase my reliance
> > on vi:  I use it all the time, so I know the keys and commands.  I still
> > have to look things up for EMACS if I want to do anything complicated.  And
> > if I'm using somebody else's key bindings, I'm totally screwed.  Why is the
> > sequence 'dw' to delete a word "unfriendly"?
>
> well, dw is not so bad, but let's look at some of the other commands:
>
> dd = delete line (why? why not dl?)
> ZZ = end edit and save file (!!!!)
> $ = end of file
> A = insert begining at end of line !?!?!
>

> sure there probably are reasons for such cryptic commands. For instance,
> the dd for delete line is for convenience in deleting lines, you just have
> to keep pressing the same key and watch the lines disapear. But that doesn't
> make it any easier to learn or any more friendly.

There are meanings to all of these.  In trying to keep to single letter
commands,
	dd was needed, because without going back to ex mode :d, there
is no easy way to delete a line (whose mnemonics make sense).  Commands in
3dW -- use whitespace for determining words), and there isn't a line target
(there are words, characters, and portions of screens, but no lines).

	ZZ was added because everyone hated typing ":wq<return>" after
the autowrite set option was added.

	$ is the end of line like in ed.  I think $ in the shell and
other programs took this meaning because of VI, but I am not sure.

	$ as the end of file is also because of ed.  Ideally, any ED edit
script will work with VI.

	A can be thought of as (A)ppend at end of line, just like a can be
thought of as (a)ppend after cursor.

	I can be thought of as (I)nsert at start of line, just like i can be
thought of as (i)nsert before cursor.

	See, they make sense (well... sorta...).

	Some wierder ones:
		hjkl (for left, down, up, and right) correspond to the
arrow keys on ADM3A terminals (which were what we had when VI was written).
With bigger address spaces, arrow key (multiple character inputs) were added.

	I only really use a few commands most of the time:
		o -- open a new line
		a -- append
		0 -- goto start of line
		$ -- goto end of line
		fx -- find
		s -- substitute
		xp -- swap characters (delete/put character)
		r -- replace
		hjkl -- see above.
This set seems to be more than sufficient for about 70% of what I do.
When I need more, I use more, but I don't have to.

> Personally I like EDT (yes I grew up on DEC). It's easy to use, the keypad
> is designed to do most of the editing commands, like del-word, del-line, go
> to end of line, go to beginning of line, cut, paste, etc.

Probably 80% of my work at this company involves systems where I use EDT as
opposed to VI. (RT, RSX, VMS).  I have only one big complaint about EDT, and
that is the versions are different on all three operating systems.  In
actuality, I have 4 different editors to remember how to use.  Furthermore,
EDT is different based upon which type of terminal you have (we use VT-52 and
VT-100 lookalikes).  Other than this, I too like EDT.  You must remember that
VI was designed when terminals did not have keypads.

> I like the keypad approach rather than the single letter commands in some
> editors, because you don't have to leave insert mode in order to do editing.

Using macros, you could probably define your keypad to do interesting things:
	:map ^V<numericpad-period> ma
	:map ^V<numericpad-3> d'a
	:map ^V<numericpad-1> ^V<return>0
	:map ^V<numericpad-2> $
These will make the keys look something like the keys under EDT.  If you
don't like these things, you can redefine them to other things.

The original VI, which ran on a PDP-11/70 under version 6 UNIX was rather sleek,
without all the things that were added later (many of which we have gotten
spoiled with), but again, remember the constraints you were limited to on that
kind of architecture (Version 6 UNIX did not have overlays, and you were
restricted originally to 64K for code+data 'cause it also originally ran on
non-separate I/D machines), even EDT on the 11 uses overlays.
Dave Gotwisner					UUCP:  ...!unisoft!peritek!dig
Peritek Corporation				       ...!vsi1!peritek!dig
5550 Redwood Road
Oakland, CA 94619				Phone: 1-415-531-6500

pechter@scr1.UUCP (03/17/89)

In article <560@peritek.UUCP> dig@peritek.UUCP writes:

>These will make the keys look something like the keys under EDT.
The most unfortunate thing about vi is it's two modes.  Of course this is
a personal choice, some person somewhere must like editors with modes.

< Description of v6 Unix and early vi cut here>
>restricted originally to 64K for code+data 'cause it also originally ran on
>non-separate I/D machines), even EDT on the 11 uses overlays.

Well Ked (kind of the father of EDT) runs on my PDT11/150 with only 62kb of
memory available for the o/s and all tasks.

It's got a learn mode and full VT100 and VT52 keypad support and undo.
All in all it's a pretty nifty editor for a 64kb machine.
--
Bill Pechter -- Home - 103 Governors Road, Lakewood, NJ 08701 (201)370-0709
Work -- Concurrent Computer Corp., 2 Crescent Pl, MS 172, Oceanport,NJ 07757

dig@peritek.UUCP (Dave Gotwisner) (03/25/89)

In article <302@scr1.UUCP>, pechter@scr1.UUCP writes:
> In article <560@peritek.UUCP> dig@peritek.UUCP writes:
>
> < Description of v6 Unix and early vi cut here>
> >restricted originally to 64K for code+data 'cause it also originally ran on
> >non-separate I/D machines), even EDT on the 11 uses overlays.
>
> Well Ked (kind of the father of EDT) runs on my PDT11/150 with only 62kb of
> memory available for the o/s and all tasks.

There may only be 62Kb available, but most 11 operating systems rely VERY
heavily on disk overlays.  The versions of EDT and KED and K52 (which is a
VT-52 version of KED running on RT-11 all are overlayed.  Yes they fit in
62Kb, in fact, RT-11FB limits you to something like 40Kb (more or less,
depending upon what handlers you have loaded), and my guess is that
KED will run in less than 32KB, but it is overlayed.  UNIX did not
support overlays at the time VI was written.