[comp.misc] Bogus V20 info

jeffery@igloo.Scum.COM (Jeffery E. Sheese) (03/23/89)

I want to apologize about the misinformation I posted about the V20.
The V20 is indeed manufactured by NEC, and until now I beleived it to
be manufactured by Zilog because of the Z80 emulation mode.  It is also
a direct replacement of the 8088, which is the 8 bit bus version of the 16
bit 8086.

(excuse mode on)
It was late.
(excuse mode off)

Jeff "it's raining outside and I hate to drive in the rain.  So I'd better
get home before it stops." Sheese

rde@ukc.ac.uk (R.D.Eager) (03/25/89)

Actually, this article (apologising for misinformation) contains some more.
The V20 contains 8080 emulation; NOT z80 emulation!!!
--
           Bob Eager
           rde@ukc.UUCP

pechter@scr1.UUCP (03/27/89)

In article <1260@igloo.Scum.COM> jeffery@igloo.UUCP writes:
>I want to apologize about the misinformation I posted about the V20.

>be manufactured by Zilog because of the Z80 emulation mode.  It is also
>a direct replacement of the 8088, which is the 8 bit bus version of the 16
>bit 8086.

Zilog does make the chip.  I think they're a second source to NEC
as is Sony.

There's no Z80 emulation, of course.  Just good old 8080.  If there was a V30
with Z80 mode it'd be in my 6300 so fast . . .  Meanwhile the V30 with 8087
work like a charm giving me the 80186/80286 instructions, faster indirect
memory references and less power drain (the V20/V30 are CMOS).
--
Bill Pechter -- Home - 103 Governors Road, Lakewood, NJ 08701 (201)370-0709
Work -- Concurrent Computer Corp., 2 Crescent Pl, MS 172, Oceanport,NJ 07757

jeff@perle.UUCP (Jeff Cole) (03/30/89)

In article <1260@igloo.Scum.COM> jeffery@igloo.Scum.COM (Jeffery E. Sheese) writes:
>I want to apologize about the misinformation I posted about the V20.
>The V20 is indeed manufactured by NEC, and until now I beleived it to
>be manufactured by Zilog because of the Z80 emulation mode.
> [ stuff deleted ]

Well, on the other hand you may have thought that it was manufactured by
Zilog because at one time ( maybe still ?? I don't know ) Zilog built the
V20 and V30, presumably under an alternate sourcing
arrangement with NEC.  I have in front of me two "Preliminary Product
Specification"  booklets from Zilog summarizing the Z70108 V20 and the
the Z70116 V30 devices, both dated May, 1986. Contact your friendly
neighbourhood Zilog person for details.

jeff
----

--
Jeff Cole                                     360 Tapscott Rd.
Perle Systems Limited                         Scarborough, Ont.