[comp.misc] N-10 chip and UNIX/BS-2 considerations

bob@imspw6.UUCP (Bob Burch) (03/29/89)

Can anybody picture Theodore Roosavelt serving as Jimmy Carter's secretary
of agriculture?  How about Secretariat pulling a plough offon the south
40?  How about the new Intel N-10 chip serving as a graphic co-processor
to the 386?  Funny thing is, this is exactly what we read from the INTEL-
MicroSoft-IBM front;  of course, it's driven by a totally accurate
assessment of the possibilities of OS-2 ever running on the N-10...
something like the chances of Hell freezing over or the sun coming up in
the West Tommorrow morning.  Such are the increasingly comical binds into
which our industry leaders are painting themselves with their last-ditch,
UNIX-envy-driven, efforts to avoid open systems.  I, personally, would
rather have a desktop machine with an N-10 chip running UNIX and a 386
as an interrupt processor.

Ted Holden
HTE

N-time loser dept:

What do you call a pregnant nun typing up a Dukakis-Bentson sticker on
a PC Junior running Display-Write under BS-2?.....

las) (03/31/89)

In article <229@imspw6.UUCP> bob@imspw6.UUCP (Bob Burch) writes:
[Somewhat ugly snarling on peripheral political issues, comments on absurdity
of using Intel N-10 as graphic co-processor for 386, and interesting (and
probably true) observation about "UNIX-envy-driven" efforts "to avoid open
systems", including the observation that:]

>I, personally, would
>rather have a desktop machine with an N-10 chip running UNIX and a 386
>as an interrupt processor.

The 386 is a poor choice as an interrupt processor (long interrupt latency).
Use something nice-and-simple for interrupt processing.  Z-80's maybe (Hey
you in the back row!!  Stop that gagging!).

regards, Larry
--
Signed: Larry A. Shurr (att!cbnews!cbema!las or osu-cis!apr!las)
Clever signature, Wonderful wit, Outdo the others, Be a big hit! - Burma Shave