[comp.misc] Computer Folklore revisited

timk@egvideo.UUCP (Tim Kuehn) (04/10/89)

>By any chance did the original person who started the whole computer folklore
>thread actually save all the posted responses?

I don't know - it wasn't me.

> 						If you did, could you let me
>know who you are and send me the whole mess??

Surely you jest! All told the messages I have saved (those with "folklore"
and the like in the subject headers) are somewhere around 2 MB! I
doubt very much if there's enough sites between here and where you
are that would appreciate the time it'd take to transfer a mail msg THAT
big.

>Or, failing that, is comp.misc archived anywhere (futile hope)?

>*                   ask me if i care, go ahead, ask me                      *
>*                       brantley@pyr1.acs.udel.edu                          *

I saved these because  the topic looked humerous and I didn't have time to
read them all (I still don't). I never expected them to go for as long as
they did. (Maybe some time when I have a week to spare or so I put my
feet up and peruse these things.)

Are there any other people who are interested in this compilation of net
computer folklore?  There's no order to it, it was all saved by a command
planted in my kill file to just write it all to a file. If there's enough
interest, I'm sure something could be arranged. (Would sending a 5.25" 1.2MB
diskette with a self-addressed mailer and a few $$ to cover postage and my
time to make the copy be ok? I don't have any intention of making money
on this, but this if there's a lot of interest it would take away from my
normal $$$ making work to do this.) I can send out copies of this in
either PKARC (for you MS-DOS'rs out there) or various SCO Xenix tar formats
(compressed and tar'd, or just tar'd...)

Thoughts? Opinions? Flames? Squirt-guns? Anyone????

|Timothy D. Kuehn					timk@egvideo          |
|TDK Consulting Services			        !watmath!egvideo!timk |
|871 Victoria St. North, Suite 217A					      |
|Kitchener, Ontario, Canada N2B 3S4 		        (519)-741-3623 	      |

brantley@pyr1.acs.udel.EDU (brantley) (04/10/89)

By any chance did the original person who started the whole computer folklore
thread actually save all the posted responses?  If you did, could you let me
know who you are and send me the whole mess??

Or, failing that, is comp.misc archived anywhere (futile hope)?

Much thanks,
brantley

fritchie@thor.acc.stolaf.edu (Scott Fritchie; ACC @ St. Olaf College) (04/12/89)

In article <1981@egvideo.UUCP> timk@egvideo.UUCP (Tim Kuehn) writes:
>>By any chance did the original person who started the whole computer folklore
>>thread actually save all the posted responses?
>
>I don't know - it wasn't me.

I wrote a shell script to save all of the Folklore postings, though I
probably don't have all of them -- I thought of saving them after the first
ones were expired (I think).

>Surely you jest! All told the messages I have saved (those with "folklore"
>and the like in the subject headers) are somewhere around 2 MB! I
>doubt very much if there's enough sites between here and where you
>are that would appreciate the time it'd take to transfer a mail msg THAT
>big.

Well, not that big.  The file I've got is 476K uncompressed.  I'm
compressing it right now and will make it available for anonymous FTP at
thor.stolaf.edu (thor.acc.stolaf.edu if you truly need the full name).
Our connection to the outside world is only 9600 baud, so the transfer will
take a while!

For those of you without Internet access, I would consider mailing it in
chunks, but I don't have the time to put it on a floppy and Snail-mail it
(sorry).

						-Scott
---
Scott Fritchie, Systems Programmer, St. Olaf College, Northfield, MN 55057
Email: fritchie@stolaf.edu -OR- ..{decvax,uunet}!stolaf.edu!fritchie
"Robbery, murder, bad breath, acne, drug addiction, sleep walking, profanity,
and losing car keys each happen more often at 85 degrees than any other
temperature.  That is why I live in Minnesota."